[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: effexor.jpg (7 KB, 300x225)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
I'm about to start a new drug, Effexor, for anxiety and depression, and seeing as this is the closest thing to a mental health forum on my favorite website, I figured I would choose here to get a glimpse into what it's like and how others have experienced it.

Is it good, bad? Thoughts
>>
A classic book on the subject. Or see Mad in America website.

https://robertwhitakerbooks.com/anatomy-of-an-epidemic/
>>
>>31688494
Here is the key: it is true that depression has to do with a chemical imbalance in your brain, but it is pretty rare and typically quite serious for that to happen out of nowhere like a physical ailment. Usually there is a life reason. So, a pill can fix the chemicals a little bit, but if your life sucks then your brain is going to be upset no matter what medication you might take. When I was in middle school I was put on a series of SSRIs that didn’t work before trying desvenlafaxine (almost exactly the same as effexor) and it helped a tiny bit. I had taken some assay at the psychiatrist to see which meds I was genetically predisposed towards effectiveness and that was one.

What REALLY helped was overcoming my autist social anxiety and learning to play ice hockey, because I had body image issues and zero friends, and a pill can’t fix that. Even today, I’m a little depressed, but I’m not going back on meds because I recognize it would not make me feel better about my stressful job and recent breakup. I have to deal with those problems and I know I’ll feel better. But if I had a perfect life and still felt deep emptiness I’d consider the pills
>>
>>31688494
terrible. did 10 years with no positive effects. even doing moderately more exercise a week has a bigger effect. if you miss a dose, within 24 hours you will have a week of dizziness, brain zaps, and light headedness when you stand up. if you take every dose on time, you can't get erections for very long and are anorgasmic.

also, we fundamentally and scientifically know now that neurotransmitter imbalances aren't what's causing depression. nature published a review saying the serotonin theory doesn't hold up
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41380-022-01661-0

tl;dr avoid at all costs
>>
there's a reason for it being known as "side-effexor"
>>
>>31688494
It worked great for me. But it's the like the speed of the anti-depressants. So you'll more likely will have issues with sleeping, being agitated and irritable. But if you can use that energy for something positive, it's good. Which is why you need therapy at the same time. Also sweating, night sweats with soaked bed sheets. And if you don't take it after 25 hours you will have the worst withdrawals.
>>
>>31692571
>So you'll more likely will have issues with sleeping, being agitated and irritable. But if you can use that energy for something positive, it's good.

"sure heroin makes you feel bugs under your skin, but scratching yourself is euphoria!"

>Also sweating, night sweats with soaked bed sheets.
Plus, because sleeping temperature is a factor, you get MUCH more frequent sleep paralysis with visits from "the night hag" then you do when not on effexor if you're prone to it
>>
OP if this is your first time taking an antidepressant DO NOT start out on venlafaxine (effexor). it is by far the most intense and has withdrawals similar to benzo withdrawal.

start with low-dose lexapro; if that doesn't work go to prozac; then if that doesn't work try the effexor.
>>
>>31692586
>"sure heroin makes you feel bugs under your skin, but scratching yourself is euphoria!"
that doesn't make any sense, anon.
>>
>>31688494
Caused psychosis and nearly killed myself on effexor lel, and then nearly killed myself getting off of it because withdrawals were so fucking bad
>>
File: SEROTONIN.jpg (2.81 MB, 3537x2980)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB JPG
1. SSRIs perform worse than placebo (short and long term)
1.1 The length of those studies is too short to observe the severe damage done by chronic usage.
1.2 Drug pushers only publish their best studies. At best, they can fabricate a study where it's slightly better than placebo.
1.21 They can the studies an infinite number of times, they do not need to publish negative results.
1.3 SSRIs: decrease testosterone, dopamine servery (actual happiness chemical), create apathy, will make your penis stop working (most likely permanently: PSSD)
1.31 These drugs are used for chemical castration, hence why your genitals will cease function given enough time
1.32 Your apathy will destroy your humanity. Food will be bland, relationships meaningless, any autonomous drive gone.
1.4 The damage is permanent. Your body is extremely complex, especially your brain.
1.5 Your depression and anxiety does not have an individual cause, but a societal one. Group health is individual health.
1.51 You can realistically only do three things: live healthy physically, improve your (daily) environment, and try to gain meaningful relationships.
Do not take the pills.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.