[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Good evening anons,

How do I deal with university idiots who think they're smart and big because of the closeted nature of how university works?
I'm a student that is transferring to a very prestigious public uni in a month. I've had mixed feelings about university and higher education. I'm a first generation college student, but am regarded as intelligent.
Having been all my life an independent learner, I haven't been able to really associate my ego with what I learn or what grades I get. I have just had an interest in things, and have gone deep enough to know things well

Getting graded on stuff based off arbitrary rules isn't fun at all. I know that the system is standardized for a certain reason. What can I do to avoid, challenge, and dominate people who make university their whole personality? Understand I say dominate because they would not hesitate to throw me by the wayside to look good themself
I value myself on other things, like my good works, self care, and how I do things in the world
>>
>>31691914
>graded on arbitrary stuff

If you major in STEM, this wouldn’t be a problem. Empirical grading.
>>
>>31691914
>my good works, self care, and how I do things in the world
? So do other college students

That’s why you are encouraged to volunteer, to stay healthy(emotionally and physically), and to find internships / social groups
>>
>>31691932
I'm aware, but I'm talking about people who make university their whole personality. You would have to meet them to know the type. Mostly developing who they are in said institutions and coming out of the institution believing they know everything.
I may think like this because I come from a different background, mostly of trade workers.

>>31691924
Humanities, but one of the most technical humanities involving logic. Maybe law school after undergrad
>>
>>31692129
>Humanities, but one of the most technical humanities involving logic. Maybe law school after undergrad
then you'll never get past it, because it is objectively true for your field. the humanities have been hollowed out since Reagan, anyone who gets an important position actually does get it because of prestige and connections.

you are the one who is being naive, pretending merit still plays a role. they are actually trying to help you by showing how things work in the real world
>>
>>31692184
>hollowed out since Reagan
I never heard of this, what happened? Know I don't have the information you do because I come from a different background.
Important position in teaching the humanities or just in the humanities field? Or are you just talking about real life "who you know" "what you know"
The stereotype about humanity majors is true, I fucking hate working with them. They are pretentious and self absorbed despite supposedly being liberated
I get along with people who do stem, but my family never had enough to where I could take the leap of faith into something like mathematics or physics.

>you are the one who is being naive
My major is philosophy, the entire field is about detecting bullshit. How is believing university knowledge translates into real world knowledge helping to see the real world? merit does play a role, but most of society just wants blind obedience.
>>
>>31691914
Get your head out of your ass, for one. You think you're better and smarter than everyone else, but everyone is putting effort to stay in a university, not just you. Your purpose there is to learn and you won't learn shit if you barricade yourself from other people and you don't allow yourself the possibility of being wrong about things and being corrected by people who aren't necessarily smarter than you.

You might scoff at my post at your own risk and end up a deadbeat neet who won't know why he ended up like that 10 years from now.
>>
>>31692349
I am fit, have 50K in the bank, have my own business, and am almost to the point I can pay off my parent's debts. The money I have isn't parental money, it's money taken through risks.
I was going to set up a trademark, but came off the phone with my local small business association to not do that. I also used to practice combat sports.

>You think you're better and smarter than everyone else, but everyone is putting effort to stay in a university, not just you.
Stop being so emotional over a post on 4chan. Your whole reply is also full of assumptions. I'm not going to go one by one saying how you're inaccurate in believing what you do, but please read my post more closely.
>end up a deadbeat neet who won't know why he ended up like that 10 years from now.
My issue is dealing with people you are accusing me of being. Again, I come from a family of people who never went to college or are in the trades. I'm being judged as if I'm a 3rd generation university student who is bitter his peers are doing better than him. I'm asking the questions I do because I have never had exposure to university culture
>>
>>31692345
>philosophy is about detecting bullshit
Oh are you in for a seriously rude awakening.
>>
>>31693141
Philosophy is literally about circlejerking over any 16th century trust fund guy’s schizophrenic ramblings.

Get a real degree that you can get a real job with, something that people want to hire you for (nursing, IT, chemistry, trades, engineering, audio, programming, etc etc.) things society needs.
>>
>>31691914
Why play a game whose rules you reject? If you object to "Getting graded on stuff ," drop out and travel your own path to enlightenment. If you choose to play their game, you have to accept their rules and their players.
>>
>>31693141
Philosophy's good, as a minor, specifically for the logic.
>>
>>31691914
Yeah I understand how you feel. Similar situation here. The best thing to do is to ignore those people though since they'll eventually self sabotage somehow.
>>
>>31691914
>How do I deal with university idiots who think they're smart and big because of the closeted nature of how university works?
You probably won't encounter anyone like this
>very prestigious public uni
No such thing
>I'm a first generation college student, but am regarded as intelligent.
This sentence is gibberish.
>I haven't been able to really associate my ego with what I learn or what grades I get.
Did this sound smart in your head before you wrote it? Most people view grades as grades, not an element of their ego.
>What can I do to avoid, challenge, and dominate people who make university their whole personality?
Nothing, You are demonstrably too shallow and self-important to challenge anyone.
>>
>>31693476
Not as good as a discrete mathematics minor, or a compsci minor, or a digital electrical engineering minor - all of which are also extremely heavy on logic, and a lot more likely to be useful irl.
What philosophy *is* good for is as a hobby, on your own time, for free, after you graduate. Under no circumstances should you pay money to learn philosophy unless you are looking to just throw money away and don't want to harm the planet by simply lighting it on fire.
>>
>>31691914
>graded on arbitrary rules
What arbitrary rules were you concerned About?
Was it "make sure your work is supported by verifiable citations from quality sources"? Because that's not arbitrary.
Also I think you're basing your perception a lot on shit you read on internet forums of people who don't understand/hate education.

One of those "arbitrary rules" you're gonna have to learn is mind your perceptions.
>>
>>31692129
You literally can't do anything about other people and how they are. They like you or they won't and vice versa.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.