[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: maxresdefault.jpg (102 KB, 1280x720)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
I wasn't there for my friends when they needed me, and I couldn't be there for a while after because of injuries and rehabilitation. Now I feel too ashamed to go back and face them. Is it over for me? Should I start over somewhere else?
>>
>Is it over for me? Should I start over somewhere else?
You literally cannot know that unless you try to go back to them. Own your fuckup of not being there without giving any excuses (i.e. don't try to motivate your absence, acknowledge it and apologize for it) and work it out from there. They may refuse to give you another chance, and then that's that. If they do give you another chance, don't act like nothing happened, the lost trust needs to be regained, you can't go right back to the same discussions. Friendships can be mended, if you care enough and are capable to put in the work.

If they don't give you another chance, accept it and move on, find new friends. It's unfortunate, but any attempt to change their mind will likely only drive them further away.
>>
>>31692834
How does mending a relationship work? It's not that I don't want to put in that work, but I just don't know what I'd even do. In the past I've just moved on. I understand that there's no formula to people, as much as I wish there was, but I feel like I'm trying to swim without even being able to treat water.
>>
>>31692722
bullshit
fuck them
>>
>>31692923
Really it's like turning back the clock. You know how in the beginning of a friendship you mostly small talk, then you move on to admitting that your day wasn't so great, then you move on to talking about why it wasn't so great etc.? A breach of trust sets you back in terms of what you can do and talk about. You need to see where you stand with them now, but basically your friendship was "demoted". The difference in mending a relationship as opposed to a new one is that you tend to "upgrade" it faster, and your previous shared experiences serve as a great base to know where to head next and what will probably work as a "safe" topic. This is more like trying to swim after not going near water for years, you will remember how to once you get there, getting more confident the longer you stay in the water. I hope this explains it better.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.