[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: jashdvjf.png (269 KB, 404x397)
269 KB
269 KB PNG
Any other anons with a job in a trade or profession that is of use to a large percentage of people will be very familiar with the following interaction. Someone that you haven't spoken to in years appears via DM and goes:
>Hey bro! How've you been?
>Good thanks yourself?
>Great by the way my car is making a rattling sound when I go over bumps and my mechanic can't look at it til next week, can you help
>I don't really have any time off in the next couple of weeks either, but you can bring it in to my garage when I'm open and we'll assist
>I thought we were friends, man! I can't afford £40/hr. Can't I bring it to you on Saturday and we'll have some beers and fix it then?
>No, that's my day off. I'm not replacing ball joints on my day off
>But my car needs fixed! I would help you with anything you needed
>I don't need help with anything
>You're an asshole
At first I just thought this simply denoted selfish cunts that I should just cut contact with, but now I'm estranged from like half of the people I went to school with and some of my extended family because I have 'refused to help' them. It seems like a majority of people in my life, certainly all of the ones who do not work with their hands, think that my position is unreasonable.
Majority of people don't have a skill that their acquaintances have any need for, so fail to empathize with people who do. As far as they're concerned I'm just being greedy.
How would you deal with people who expect your time and effort for free, and are liable to become offended when you refuse? Do they have a point? Is this my fault for being trained to do this stuff in the first place?
>>
>>31693351
>>I thought we were friends, man!
is this shit real?

if so, fuck this guy. wtf is he a manchild retard? what is this middle school? he is taking advantage of you. go fuck himself
>>
>>31693401
The greentext was a generalisation. I'm not exaggerating when I say that this situation has arisen dozens of times with people ranging from old friends that left my town to people I literally met twice at school, 10+ years ago.
My initial reaction the first few times was basically yours, but it is so fucking prevalent that it feels like I've pissed off a large portion of the people I know at this point
>>
>>31693411
no
fuck them
>>
>>31693351
Just laugh it off and forget about it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.