[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: map.jpg (15 KB, 425x141)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
Floridafag. Think i've found the person I want to spend my life with. I'm going into law and they're going into Systems Information. Probably working with libraries or general IT stuff I don't understand because I'm retarded with computers. We both want to leave florida cause its hot as shit. out of these states which would you recommend?
>Michigan
>Minnesota
>Winsconsin
>Vermont
>New Hampshire
>Maine
important considerations:
I really like guns. I own a few. I like having 20 round mags for my FAL and 30s for my AR. I like CCW. I also like nature, but wouldn't mind working/living in an urban variety, as long as I could feasibly retreat to a colder naturey sort of place. Rural small towns aren't too much of a concern because I'm by nature a very bookish sort of guy who can make his own fun, but how much these small towns would need/want either of our professions is up in the air.
Cost of living is also important, being able to buy a house permanently etc. I don't wanna be renting my entire life.
Whats your advice?
>INB4 FUCK OFF WERE FULL
I promise I drink bad quality beer and love cheese just as much as the lot of you. pass me a pabst brother.
>>
also ignore the canada in the outline map. i do not want to be a canuck.
>>
have you ever spent an entire winter in any of those states?
>>
>>31998039
no. Love the cold though. Coldest I've ever been in was 15 degrees up in a mountain on georgia and I loved it.
>>
>>31997971
>We both want to leave florida cause its hot as shit. out of these states which would you recommend?
>>Michigan
I live in Michigan, it's all right. Detroit's a bit of a mess, but we also have a bunch of other ghettos. Livonia, Saline and Pittsburg is nice. Don't live in Dearborn, else you'll be my neighbor.
>>31998039
It's not that cold in Michigan, as long as you train for it.
>>31998778
Nice.
>>
>>31997971
OP I'm grew up in Alaska, and I recommend it. you should go up there for 2 weeks at least and check it out. A lot of people have guns as well and just shoot outdoors I didn't have any guns growing up though.
>Cost of living is also important, being able to buy a house permanently etc. I don't wanna be renting my entire life. Whats your advice?
alaska's cost of living is high becasue everything needs to be shipped up there by boat. fyi we have grocery stores and restaurants it's not all rural like television.

if you wanna know more about AK let me know.
>>
>>31998039
>>31998778
>I grew up in Alaska and had to walk to the bus stop in -9 degrees. I love the cold and still miss it. anything above 70 degrees is too much for me.
>>
>>31997971
Ohio, especially in the Southeast in Appalachia, is going to be a lot more temperate than the more northern states, and for gun laws has better laws than basically any of its neighbors except maybe WV, (Constitutioal carry, no mag limit shit, strong selfdefense doctrine). You still get good, cold Winters, you get fairly pleasant Summers Springs and Falls, more access to opportunities than most of its neighbors or Northern states, still enjoy low CoL, strong conservative political base without going overboard ridiculous, etc. Massachusetts and Wisconsin are the two worst picks in the area you're looking at, and Michigan has some very dumb gun laws in addition to being too blue/filled with minorities. Vermont and Maine are strong options, but there's less opportunity, Vermont in particular will have a higher regional CoL, and while the benefits are obvious with good gun laws, low population density and such, I would call it more of a tradeoff than it's worth if you're still establishing your career, but I'd consider it heavily for retirement. I'd say in the Midwest area Ohio is your strongest bet as a professional to get pretty much what you want, second pick would be Maine, then Vermont.
>>
>>32000939
How can a software engineer work a job in Alaska? My best guess is remote work, but I'm wondering if there's a native developer industry.
If the cost of living is so high, what types of jobs/industries are in Alaska?
How good is it for raising a family?
>>
>>32001181
you do not want to live in alaska. i like winters but i don't like them THAT much. nearly everyone there are miserable alcoholics and i'm not exaggerating there.
>>
>>31997971
minnesota to florida transplant here

Rochester mn or Minneapolis/St Paul is good.
Rochester would be better because of Mayo and IBM being out there

Minneapolis/St Paul because dual metro area and a lot of economic options
>>
File: file.png (3.23 MB, 1920x1200)
3.23 MB
3.23 MB PNG
>>32001360
I've gotten frostbite on my drive to work, because I kept the windows down.
I love the cold
>>
>>32001379
thank you anon
>>32000939
would love to live in alaska but its a nogo. I am a schizoaffective depressive (and a functioning member of society I'd like to add) and id probably end up drinking myself to death out there. I'd love it, but I know it would kill me. such is life.
>>
>>31997971
The western part of Michigan near Grand Rapid's, especially on the east coast of Lake Michigan, is called "God's country" for a good reason. But the winters are bad in the "it's been dark and overcast nonstop for 5 straight months already wtf" sense, not the it's-been-too-cold-forever sense.

As someone else mentioned, MSP and Rochester are decent options but you should really, really visit and know what you're getting yourself into - the population skews heavily Nordic / Scandi and if you're a generic white/british/german American it WILL be extremely off-putting to you (wikipedia has an article on "Minnesota nice" you should check out).

SE Wisconsin (Milwaukee / Madison) are nice but the populations are a little dull; all the 'smart'/'ambitious' people fuck off to Chicago or MSP. May or may not bother you.

Don't know the gun laws in these states, guessing that they are worse than FL and susceptible to being changed/restricted at a moment's notice because of the D politics.
>>
>>32001890
>Minnesota Nice
sounds very confusing. I already have trouble understanding social graces among my own kin, and southeners tend to be much more direct.
do you know much about Traverse city? Ideally (at least to me) I'd like to go as north as possible.
>>
>>31997971
That's one of the shittiest places in North America, anon. New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania should be added to that area as well
>>
>>32002271
traverse City is very beautiful, the winters are cold and snowy, you'd probably like it. however, cost of living is insane compared to surrounding areas due to lack of housing.
you could consider smaller towns around TC, Kalkaska, Fife Lake, and Mancelona are decent places to live, I grew up in that area.
Mid Michigan is much more temperate, less snow. cost of living is more sane. not much else to say, lots of rural tiny towns with like maybe 2 larger cities between.
southwest Michigan is pretty nice, that's where I'm at now. winters are warmer, summers can get miserable though. grand rapids area cost of living is going down I think, the housing market is turning back into a buyer's market, I see a crapton of houses listed and they're not immediately selling like they used to.
>>
you may also want to consider Petoskey, cost of living still pretty high but it's a beautiful town and it's got lots of history. also the downtown has secret tunnels.
>>
>>32002271
Once you start getting close to Traverse and/or Mackinaw City/Island, it kinda becomes a tourist area for rich midwest retirees. Not a lot of economic activity (= upwardly mobile young people in the area) north of Lansing or Grand Rapids.

You should check out Duluth, MN - it's a secret gem in MN and may check your boxes.
>>
>>32002728
>>32002786
>>32003072
appreciate all the advice. saving this in my folder
>>
>>32003072
deluth anon is correct, North of Cadillac MI gets very touristy. TC isn't as bad because they have a lot of other industry, Munson medical center and some manufacturing, etc. still ridiculously expensive tho, and there's still about 3-4 months of the year the damn place is just overrun with fudgies

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.