[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: img_1_1701132628524.jpg (131 KB, 720x1079)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
hey so my gf showed me her sisters letter for a job position in her company. it said on the first page that editors helped the company earn "trillions" in grant funds and therefore she deserves a senior editor position, because of how much value they bring the company

all I said was "she probably means millions ... not trillions. the US budget this year was $6T.

then they wrote back that they are going to use "billions" because "it's to showcase with a large number how much the editing helps the company make money"

that was even after I sent them a link with the grant info from the last year, that literally adds up to a few million

now they are acting weird as if I'm trying to start a fight about telling them that billions would be wrong

I mean they can say the wrong thing and look stupid but I'm just trying to look out for their best interest
>>
>>32003477
try harder to communicate it to them without setting off any weird/petty landmines. i don't know how you would go about that. just use your judgment and avoid being adversarial.
it might help to tell them that you're looking out for their best interest, but that might come off condescending.
>>
>>32003477
Sounds like you're just jealous because your talents aren't worth trillions like hers.
>>
>>32003519
based advice and OP you are doing the right thing here
>>
>>32003477
Don't worry, she'll get the job since it would be sexist otherwise
>>
File: tz82hh1eatfc1.jpg (263 KB, 828x1792)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
>>32004232
>>32003519
thanks guys. I spoke with my girlfriend about it later today, and she said her sister was a little peeved with my suggestions thinking I was calling her dumb or something along those lines.

her family gets... defensive over these things due to some insecurities I think. I would have felt bad not saying something about the trillions because it was one of the first lines in the cover letter and was obviously incorrect, which might hurt her chances of getting this job.

otherwise the letter was honestly very well written, which I made sure to tell them!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.