[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1714620534313.jpg (20 KB, 360x360)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
Anyone with bipolar disorder, I’d really like to hear your experience because I could use some advice. My sister has bipolar type one and is on Risperdal, but I’ve noticed she’s still dealing with some delusional thoughts. Like, she believes there’s some secret god paying attention to her just because she’s noticing a lot of coincidences. How can I help her realize these are just delusions? I have more examples btw this was just the first one I thought of.
>>
>>32004707
Delusions, by definition, cannot be countered with logic/rational thought. Her psychiatrist will need to either change the dosage of her medication or switch it to another. There might be avenues for you to hospitalize her, or have her fill out an advanced directive to get herself hospitalized, but outside of a psychiatrist/hospital stay, she's going to continue being delulu.
>>
>>32004707
That's 'psychosis' which is different from regular bipolar. This phase will go away naturally. Don't listen to the other guy as more meds is just a shot in the dark, and hospitals do nothing to help. The main problem is that there's no spiritual life anymore in the west, so this stuff is being overblown by the people around her. It sounds like she's noticing what Jung called synchronicities to a harmful degree. If she's still able to function and take care of daily tasks then there's nothing to worry about.
>>
>>32005347
yeah, looking into it, it lines up with what others have experienced Just reading different bipolar forums and some stuff on Reddit. It's harmless, most of them are I just want her to be aware of it.
>>
>>32005420
You really should not be listening to >>32005347
Yes, it is psychosis, psychosis presents in 2 ways with bipolar, delusions (this) and hallucinations (not this). She is having delusions, and she is being prescribed risperdal (an antipsychotic) to assist with this. It is not working and needs to be adjusted or changed under the care of a doctor. Don't ignore it. Anyone who claims it's a spiritual or shamanistic power is crazier than your sister.
>>
>>32005427
I'm not ignoring it, I read your post too. My apologies for not responding I just didn't think I needed to. I'm taking this into consideration as well.
>>
>>32005427
if I'm not mistaken though you can still experience symptoms even with being on medication right? I don't know if raising it would exactly change things all that much.
>>
>>32005430
I don't need to be responded to, I was just more disappointed you were lured in by a crackpot.
>>
>>32004707
>she believes there’s some secret god paying attention to her just because she’s noticing a lot of coincidences
Not to derail the thread but, could be.
>>
>>32005432
well I'm not buying into him wholesale. what he said does match on with other things I've read from various sources. I think your solution though of upping the medication is probably something that I didn't consider initially but like with his post matching on other stuff I've read it's something that I'm taking into greater consideration.
>>
>>32005433
No offense but if you're religious I'm not really interested in your input on this.
>>
>>32005438
>My sister needs an exorcist
>No, I'd rather hire a policeman to do it than a priest
Ok anon, enjoy your 15 years of misfortune.
>>
That is not BPD. It is schizophrenia.
>>
>>32005500
The symptoms correlate but she's never had any visual hallucinations and the mania/depressive ups and downs track. Not to mention her father (we're half siblings) has it in his family
>>
>>32005500
This will apparently come as a surprise to you, but Bipolar Disorder (what OP's sister has) and BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder, what OP's sister does not have) are completely different disorders. Psychosis and hallucinations are absolutely symptoms of Bipolar Disorder.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.