[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: one eyed pepe.jpg (7 KB, 232x217)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
I can get pretty argumentative but my arguments lack that concrete reasoning to back it up. Sometimes it lacks facts and sometimes it's just my lack of critical thinking skills.

so my basic question is how do I improve my critical thinking and argumentation skills? debating and stuff? I know law school is gonna teach me those skills to some degree but I wanna be competent enough to hold ground when I get there.
most of my experience comes from political debates
>>
>>32007940
Study math. Math is all about reasoning and proof. I've become much more perceptive of the structure and shortcomings of arguments after having studied math.
>>
>>32007940
for me it was teaching myself a game engine and learning the native language. logic gates bro
>>
>>32007952
I have always been fucking shite at maths. What should I look into specifically?
>>32007969
so basically engaging with anything that remotely deals with problem solving can do the trick?
>>
>>32007982
math is better to expand that part of your mind. especially if you always sucked at it. the first reply got it right. review the fundamentals and expand from there. like arithmetic: the conversion of fractions/decimals/mixed numbers into each other. long division. etc.
>>
>>32007940
>>32007982
You don't read like a strong writer.
>>
Here are better questions: How are your grades rights now? Do you have any connections or extracurricular experiences?
>>
>>32007952
Legal arguments mostly* have fuck-all to do about reasoning and proof, they're all about confidently bullshitting the other party into doing something they were looking for an excuse to do anyway.
* Contracts being an exception. Details there can kill you. I once saw a contract where in the final revision the other party's lawyers had tightened up the definition of one item but failed to tighten up one of the clauses regarding that item, and this discrepancy left a hole you could drive a fleet of trucks through (and my client promptly did).
>>
>>32008079
Can you tell me what exactly gives you that idea?
>>
You don't have to be a lawyer with a law diploma. There are various other jobs like tax advisor, trustee etc. But in general if social skills are not part of your strengths, you are better of studying something technical. Those non-lawyer law jobs are heavily saturated too
>>
>>32008050
thanks anon :)

>>32008089
I haven't gotten into law school yet I am studying for entrance exams
>>
I have wasted 3 years on law before becoming a programmer. with bad social skills it is not worth it. especially if you have no lawyer parents to help you put foot in the door
>>
File: kms.jpg (9 KB, 225x225)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>32008079
do I type like a retard?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.