[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Bros how the fuck do I get a job that'll start my career?

I'm almost 27 and got my MA in a meme degree (international studies) and cannot get a job for the life of me. I've worked with recruiters, had professionals work with me on my resume, volunteered for a business association, had a meaningful internship, networked with executives with said business assoc. and I still cannot find a single fucking person that'll give me a chance.

I'm searching nationwide (USA) and rarely get interviews. I take care of myself and look normal and consider myself well-spoken so I don't think it's presentation but I cannot get past the catch-22 of getting work experience when no one will give me a job to gain it after graduating.

I've at least got a friend's dad who is a recruiter trying to help me but it's just all so demoralizing. I'm focusing on communications/marketing since that's what my internship is and I'm fluent in German which is also pretty useless but I don't know where else to go. Usajobs has never been fruitful so I've just given up on the fed.

Anyone got helpful advice to get interviews and score a meaningful job?
>>
>>32018881
Lie or get a new degree, or work in the factory or McDonald's. It's really fucked, you need to manifest bullshit in order to thrive. Everyone who is not homeless is lucky. Without that luck, homelessness is destiny.
>>
Should've gone into STEM. That or finance. If you have no network it's the only way to secure your future

Even if you don't like the courses, just gobble down ritalin or whatever you need to push through. I'd say go back to college or get used to the idea of feeling worthless. I'm sorry man. The older generations really did a number on us
>>
>>32018881
You should have gone into the military with a degree like that and come out an officer, then you'd get work at the State Department or some gay think tank.
>>
>>32019139
>>32019147
>>32019164
Homies I know what I should’ve done but I gotta live with it now. I look at companies that are stem related and did communications for one but it’s an uphill battle. I did Army and got injured so I didn’t make it.

What can I do rn besides putting myself in debt?
>>
>>32018881
If you know an asian language you could probably get into tech working for international communications.
>>
>>32019266
Unfortunately only German fluently. Worked for a German tech company here and then the internship ended. try other German companies but they don't seem to care
>>
>>32019421
you can easily be a public relations for a german american company. bilingual is a huge skill

if you actually aren’t autistic look for sales development representative jobs. especially at companies that span usa/germany because your language skill is valuable
>>
>>32019480
I've been trying to apply those positions because I think I'd actually enjoy it but for whatever reason it's super competitive.

Sales dev is something I haven't researched though so I'll take a look at that. I just feel my only advantage is US citizenship since Germans are pretty fluent in English already
>>
>MA in international relations
>fluent in German
ffs bro there's SO many cool jobs for you like you've no idea holy shit
will throw you a bone but just curious where the FUCK are you applying lol
>>
>>32021239
Yeah the good news is there's maybe ten cool jobs. The bad news is they graduate 200 guys just like OP every year.
>>
>>32021239
What>>32022037 said.

I was ready to get a cool job but apparently everyone wants to do PR and all these companies and firms hire internally
>>
>>32022037
no there isn't
you haven't answered
do you really want a job or?
>>
>meme degree
>expects to get a job
>>
>>32019147
>Should've gone into STEM
It should go without saying that people have to excel at STEM to be competitive. That's why there are so many CS majors without CS jobs.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.