[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: northernflyingsquirrel.jpg (320 KB, 468x700)
320 KB
320 KB JPG
What's the rarest animal you've ever seen?

Can be either rare to your area in general or just rare in the sense that not many even exist to begin with.

Mine is a flying squirrel. They only come out at night and are naturally hard to see just by default, but last year one came to my suet feeder a few times and I was lucky to see it in the porch light.

Not my pic but he looked pretty much just like this with the thick tail and big eyes.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin%27s_fox
>>
>>4769210
I've seen black squirrels only twice in my whole life.
>>
>>4769227
>Current estimates of the total population are still low, with an estimated minimum 227 individuals on the mainland and 412 on Chiloé Island.

Damn. I never even heard of this animal before. Nice find.
>>
>>4769272
It looked exactly the same as a regular south American gray fox except a bit darker and I saw it from afar when I was visiting the island, so it might as well just be one. It was still cool tho
>>
>>4769210
Not a rare species but a rare individual, i saw what i'm pretty sure was a melanistic pidgeon when i went to college. Even its legs and beak were black
>>
>>4769281
On the rare-species note, I once saw a fire-bellied toad in a ditch in the US
>>
File: IMG_8035.jpg (82 KB, 678x452)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>4769210
Hmmm, I guess the blue iguana. They’re endangered (but doing better) and we have the only ones on the planet. I myself haven’t seen one in the wild for years. Very beautiful
>>
California Condor, ~300 in the wild. Other birds I have seen are rare just because you have to go out of your way to find them, like Gyrfalcon.
>>
File: mysteryfish.jpg (269 KB, 2048x1538)
269 KB
269 KB JPG
>>4769210
I got a picture of mine
>>
>>4769210
Thylacine. Australian government firebombs areas they're reported in, so everyone keeps their mouth shut but they're still around.
>>
Probably this one
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_green_macaw
Theres a bunch of these guys visiting very regularly too
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_American_squirrel_monkey
>>
>>4769335
Jesus that’s blue.
>>
I've seen a koala quite a few times
>>
File: koaler.jpg (439 KB, 1132x1113)
439 KB
439 KB JPG
>>4769432
In the wild btw
Almost always at night and accidentally, walking through forest and parkland
One time I was going to get a kebab at 11 pm and one of them was lugging itself up a tree as it saw me, then kind of stared at me when it thought it was far up enough to be safe from me (I'm no danger anyway lol)

You can also hear the horny male koalas a lot in the forest. They sound very unlike you would expect a retarded herbivorous teddy bear to sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocIR6B-YtYE
>>
Probably not "rare" by the standard definition but I only ever saw this guy once in the wild and not in a zoo and that was only because I went out for a walk at night.
>>
This mushroom I saw once
>>
File: 70582411-480px.jpg (17 KB, 480x360)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
California Condor which are critically endangered
Florida Scrub Jay, Bonnethead shark, and Blue whale which are endangered
Great tailed Grackle in Florida (first specimen ever recorded in the state)
>>
>>4769281
Nigga pigeon
>>
I saw a golden coqui. They're not really rare on the island, but the fact you can't find them anywhere but Puerto Rico so I made it something I had to see during my trip. The golden part was pure luck.
>>
A good person
>>
>>4769725
Shut up retard
>>
>>4769727
you're kind of proving his point
>>
I heard condors are migrating up the west coast and settling into northern regions. Someone at a wildlife refuge told me he hopes he'll see them in Oregon some day. I don't know, but I'd like to see one.
>>
>>4769540
Where in Australia are you? I've seen these guys many times, including during the day, and I'm in suburban brissie. Very common here
>>
Some kind of weasel thing, he got in the garage and attacked my dad's boot.
>>
File: 20230706_103523.jpg (159 KB, 1317x988)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
The fire bug I guess. Maybe not rare globally but is supposed to be rare in my home country
>>
>>4769210
I'm just going to count my area.
I've seen both a flying squirrel and a fisher cat on my trail cam, fishers dont officially range in this area anymore, so it was interesting.
>>
>>4769831
They are being released in Northern California. You might get lucky, but the numbers are still so small.
>>
>>4769375
>Australian government firebombs areas they're reported in,
wtf why
>>
>>4769717
>They're not really rare on the island,
they're literally extinct
>>
>>4769210
I had one get in my house once and I shot it with a pellet gun
>>
I was walking my dog at night in central Florida and we came upon an armadillo. I'd never seen one before. We just kinda followed it for a while, as it scrounged around in the dirt. I'm not even sure the stupid thing was aware of me and my dog. Eventually we got bored and left. I've since seen several 'dillos.
>>
>>4770249
They look so prehistoric, I can never get over it.
>>
File: Cougar_range_map_2010.png (103 KB, 1194x1780)
103 KB
103 KB PNG
>>4769210
I was visiting my aunt's rural home years ago and saw a cougar walk across her front lawn. This was in Aitkin, Minnesota.
>Statewide, the DNR has only verified 77 cougar appearances in the state since 2004
I had no idea they were this rare here. It even lists them as "extinct or severely reduced population." I feel very lucky.
>>
Arowana? Maybe?
Local Chinese restaurant used to have a fuckhugeic one in their tank. I've mentioned it before and I think /an/ told me they're illegal in the US so either they were breaking the law or I mistook some other weird-looking humongofish for an arowana.
Haven't been to that place in 15 years so I don't know if they're even still there never mind if the fish is.
>>
>>4769977
It was probably introduced there from Europe, in Europe these are everywhere and are as common as flies.
>>
>>4769210
i want to believe i saw a pack of dire wolves kill an elk outside of Estes Colorado from my grandfathers summerhome in 2008, the biggest of them had to be about 4'3 at the shoulder but most of the pack were a little over 3 feet tall. they looked like gray wolves but where a bit brighter grays and didnt appear to have any brown or beige marking. it couldn't have been and mostly likely was a pack of gray wolves my child mind contorted but to me they dont really look the same. iv seen them in enclosures and in pictures and they still dont match exactly what i remember
>>
A bald eagle in northeast Georgia
>>
>>4770737
Dire wolves aren't actually bigger than wolves basically at all, and their main differences are mostly color and head shape. Grey wolves are HUGE. Still very rare to see a pack of wolves period, though.
>>
>>4770577
Asian arowanas were illegal for a while, but they started captive breeding them in the 90's so those are ok to own now. Expensive though.
>>
File: IMG_0595.jpg (138 KB, 1280x1024)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
Orange-bellied Parrot, they live where I grew up. Only a few in the wild these days
>>
>>4770577
if it was a chinese place it was probably added to the menu
>>
File: 20220325_123950.jpg (2.06 MB, 4032x3024)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
>>4769238
Really? They're all over the place where I live.
>>
>>4770825
I was just knocked over by his extreme cuteness.
>>
File: IMG_5852.jpg (453 KB, 1200x1600)
453 KB
453 KB JPG
A Shetland cow! There are less than 300 left on the planet.
>>
>>4771733
>There are less than 300 left on the planet.
There's no way that's true.
>>
>>4770738
I literally saw two yesterday in Delaware. They're all over the fucking place here
https://baytobaynews.com/stories/bald-eagles-soaring-in-delaware,83183
>>
>>4770220
Mining rights. If thylacines were confirmed to exist, they'd have to be protected.
>>
>>4771878
That's ridiculous, why would the aussies not protect such an important animal just for some mining rights?
>>
>>4771883
Thylacines dont get you much money if you're the .gov. Probably wouldn't even bring much more tourists, because they wouldnt see them anyways. Mining companies on the other hand give you a bunch of tax revenue and mining lobbyists pay for your next election campaign.
They are still very much alive in both tasmania and new guinea.
>>
>>4769717
Scientists think it's possibly extinct because it hasn't been seen or documented for over 40 years and you say it's supposedly "not really rare on the island"
At least make it believable it takes 10 seconds to Google something.
>>
>>4771883
Let's say we discovered a thylacine tomorrow. The first thing that would happen is a swarm of news media and enviromental activists descending on Tasmania, demanding that half the island be closed off to economic activity. The Australian government, on the other hand, has conducted numerous studies on the thylacine's long term viability, and they all come up with "it's either dead already or it will die out soon". So the official position is to help the extinction along.
>>
>>4771733
That's a highland cow not a Shetland cow, and there's loads of them
>>
>>4771751
>>4771733
It's not true, and that pic isn't even a Shetland cow. No idea what that anon is smoking
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shetland_cattle
>There are currently 800 registered breeding cows and an average of 180 calves born each year
>>
File: Mauritius-Olive-White-eye.jpg (459 KB, 1427x1070)
459 KB
459 KB JPG
Saw some of these guys. Mauritius Olive White-eye. Critically endangered and endemic to a small patch of forest in Mauritius which is already a tiny country. Only about 200-300 estimated to be left
>>
>>4772050
>Olive White-eye
Well, can’t say it wasn’t named appropriately
>>
File: ANI111-00038.jpg (408 KB, 2000x1332)
408 KB
408 KB JPG
Only exist in 4 islands in the Balkans, came across a big dead on during a hike, it was about 24 inches long.
It was hefty too, pretty thick and heavy, it was during late spring and the bushes were full of partridge chicks scurrying around so plenty of prey around for them.
>>
>>4771878
It's pretty much the same story with sasquatch. You hear about logging companies fighting guerilla tactics against them because if they were revealed to the public millions of square miles of forest would become protected and the loggers would go out of business.
>>
>>4770249
from west FL, armadillo are pretty common in FL from what I understand. seen them a few times, they sound like a tank walking across the driveway at night
>>
Pretty sure I saw a whooping crane once.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.