[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What is the most normie misconception you are annoyed by? Mine has to be the that a panther is its own species.
>>
>>4769726
Apparently a lot of normies still think cats are more intelligent than dogs despite mountains of evidence to the contrary and basic fucking common sense because they associate doing nothing and ignoring people with intelligence
>>
File: 1565778_1_l.jpg (2.39 MB, 4052x4056)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB JPG
>>4769726
>Mine has to be the that a panther is its own species.
Correction. It is normie to think that pic rel is not a real species at all.

>Verification not required.
>>
>>4769726
It’s not? News to me
>>
File: 1693379678216282.jpg (112 KB, 800x533)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>4769726
That opossums are full of diseases and spread fleas and ticks.
>>
>>4769744
>they associate doing nothing and ignoring people with intelligence
Um...Huskysisters?
>>
>>4769744
>A slave is smarter than the philosopher
>>
>>4769726
That pigeons are dirty and diseaseridden.
>>
That porcupines shoot their quills. Like wtf? How could you possibly explain that?
>>
>>4769825
It doesnt correlate at all.

>>4769968
Some dogs are slavish, some aren't. All of them are smarter than cats, which are not philosophers, but coma patients with killer instincts.

Would you describe a bug as a "philosopher" for its indifference?
>>
File: oxalis.jpg (255 KB, 1200x900)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
I knew there are multiple kinds of cats that are in 'panthera,' but I also thought there was a specific species called the panther.

Here's a plant one:
>pic related are clover
>>
the daddy long legs having deadly venom thing.
most normies vehemently insist it too, even if you straight up google it
>>
File: file.png (256 KB, 460x299)
256 KB
256 KB PNG
I don't really have any big ones besides maybe this >>4769978 but here's a sampling of some of the retarded shit I've hear over the years at zoos and aquariums (always from parents)
>Look, it's the ocelot!
It's an axolotl.
>These are coral. They're plants that grow under the sea
>See an alligator or crocodile sitting in place like a rock
>Is that real???
No, they went through the trouble of separating you from it, giving it a full tank of water and food because it's a statue. Wait, no. I thought of one major annoyance
>Cockatoos aren't parrots
>>
>>4769982
This one is more forgivable. At a glance it *can* kind of look like they shoot/jump off, mostly because of how easy they detach and how quick the barbs on their quills can imbed into flesh
>>
>>4769744
Many birds are like feathered apes, but because their brains are small in size and they have only one retarded facial expression, people think they're lower in cognition than cats and dogs.
>>
People who call cetaceans fish, if you do that then fuck you and I hope you go to hell.
>>
>>4769726
Guinea pigs
>>
>>4769982
Parents say that to really make sure kids stay the fuck away from them.
My grandmother claimed they'd drop on you from in the trees, like aussies and their dropbears.
>>
>>4769744
Cats have better long term memory and pattern recognition for several reasons including them being also prey animals as well as predators. Dogs are better at complex tasks and problem solving.
>>
File: Buff beluga.jpg (158 KB, 1242x1099)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>Awww, the dog / "monkey" is smiling :^)
>The birds are kissing :^)
>Look at him bobbing back and forth and place, he's so happy he's dancing :^)
>The bear is waving hi to me :^)
"Animal behaviour = human behaviour" is for the smoothest of smooth brains
>>
>>4771429
Dogs DO smile, they just have 3-4 different expressions that all look vaguely like a smile ESPECIALLY if the dog has floppy lips and ears. If the dog has tight lips and erect ears it's a lot easier to tell the expressions apart.

And so do monkeys, but it's one ugly fucking smile

>>4770839
Cats have better memory *formation* but not storage, and they do not have better pattern recognition. Their pattern recognition is total fucking ass. They're baffled by the string test.

They do have better near-vision. The better memory formation is what creates the illusion of a more composed animal. A dog is confused for longer but once they calm down they're better off.
>>
File: EIDP6HlUYAAszMl.jpg (71 KB, 600x650)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>4771434
chimp smile = soi smile. same function too
>showing excitement
>inviting others to be excited
>proving that you are a monkey
>>
File: file.png (225 KB, 612x380)
225 KB
225 KB PNG
>>4771434
"They're smiling :^)" is for a specific, clearly NOT smiling, context. At least in my experience
>>
>>4770104
I would personally give the first one a pass. Some people just can't pronounce words properly for shit.
>>
File: image0.jpg (101 KB, 886x592)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>4771429
Aw look he’s smiling
>>
>>4771449
This is a form of smile, not a snarl, and it even has a human analogue that's basically the same. It's a submissive grin/appeasement smile like women and weak men give you when they're being polite and don't want to piss you off.

The other "real smile" can only really be identified if the dog has tight lips and erect ears, because the ear and lip positioning are 90% of how it's identified otherwise it looks too much like panting. Malinois are used in studies on humans ability to recognize canine facial expressions because of this.
>>
>>4769744
>Dogfag seething in the very first post
Kekimus maximus
>>
>>4772251
>*starts jerking off in store*
>Hey, stop that!
>seething
>>
>poorly or not-at-all trained dog is aggressive and defensive with food and will snarl and snap at anyone who approaches
>"hehe he's just playing"
>>
Ostriches shove their heads on the ground
>>
>>4769983
>Would you describe a bug as a "philosopher" for its indifference?
Yes. This discussion is over.
>>
>>4773654
>are yuo stupid?
>Yes. I refuse to answer questions. now im like the cartoon chad man right?
>no because ur ugly
>fug :DDDDDD
>>
File: Kommodeo.dragon.jpg (32 KB, 452x678)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>4769726
That Komodo dragons have deadly bacteria in their mouths and that they hunt prey by biting it and then following it for days. For a slightly more enlightened normie the misconception is that they have deadly venom instead of deadly bacteria. Honestly this isn’t even just for normies, a lot of people with a greater than average knowledge about animals think this
>>
>>4769726
the reddit cat hater cope
>cats are bad for le environment so torturing them like the chinese is good!
>>
>>4771429
>The birds are kissing :^)
They do kiss tho
>>
>>4774508
>it's ok to torture invasive species
yeah that's a pretty fucked up one
>>
File: 1624662516087.gif (211 KB, 500x362)
211 KB
211 KB GIF
>any time normies discuss giant pandas
>>
>>4774257
To be fair, this was scientific consensus for a long time.
>>
>>4769726
>Caring about semantics
Has to be the worst one.
>>
File: wqqp9q6n6rka1.jpg (87 KB, 640x960)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>4769726

The koala "bear" thing

>>4772236
>like women and weak men give you

You lost me at the incel-speak
>>
>>4769816
>>4769978
>>4770104
>These are coral. They're plants that grow under the sea
>>4773590
>>4774257
>That Komodo dragons have deadly bacteria in their mouths and that they hunt prey by biting it and then following it for days.
I thought all of these were true. H-how bad is this?
>>
>>4769726
>Uuuhm lions only bite down with a force of 400-650 lbs achsksshsually :))))))
That was from a juvenile specimen, older males bite down with 1000 lbs.
>>
>>4774634
>i-incel!
So which one are you
A woman, or a non-confrontational stoner who wears nintendo themed clothing in his 30s
>>
>>4774657
>>4772236
Go suck eachother's dicks elsewhere, post false animal "facts"
>>
>4774663
>triggered "nothimbut"
Who knew dog smile facts could be so controversial
>>
>>4774667
Ok, then post moar.
>>
>>4774257
The current concensus is that it's a wombo-combo of harmful mouth bacteria and venom.
https://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/komodo-dragon#:~:text=Some%2050%20different%20bacterial%20strains,blood%20loss%20and%20induces%20shock.
>>
>mice are baby rats
>doves are female pigeons
>>
>>4774744
Genuinely never heard anyone spout these before.
>>
>>4774640
The bacteria thing is a long perpetuated myth and while they do have venom it’s one of the weakest of all monitors. Prey is killed through physical trauma using their teeth and the resulting blood loss. The venom is an anticoagulant but it’s not strong enough to make any meaningful difference when the prey is already bleeding out through severed arteries. As for following their prey for days, I have no idea where that idea came from. Most successful Komodo dragon hunts last probably a minute before the prey is incapacitated
>>4774705
It’s not. The bacteria is no worse than any other predator’s and the venom is too weak to bring down large prey. The teeth do the job
>>
>>4774775
It's still debated, that article I posted was from 2023. The fact that you're so emotional and confrontational about it tells me all I need to know about how truly versed you are.
>>
>>4774857
The fact you think anyone was being confrontational or emotional tells me all I need to know about how much time you spend arguing with people online
>It's still debated
Not really. Here is a paper about the anticoagulant properties of lizard venoms.
>https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6651/11/5/255
The Komodo dragon’s venom is less potent than a green tree monitor’s, and while they do have bacteria in their mouths that can potentially cause deadly infections that’s nothing different to any other carnivore. Even if it was debated, biting prey and waiting for it to die of infection is just not something that they do.
>that article I posted was from 2023
It’s also full of misinformation and is basically just a fun facts list. It says that they have low hunting success rates and take a long time to kill prey. Prey is usually killed immediately with a surprisingly high success rate, and when prey does escape with injuries it’s usually killed soon after by another dragon. A Komodo dragon bite could cause a fatal infection, but they don’t use it as part of their hunting strategy. Waiting for prey to die of infection would just result in it escaping or being stolen by another dragon
>During 2002–2009, TSJ (Tim Jessop) recorded 17 observations of lizard attacks on large prey, deer and pigs: 12 were successful (fatal) and 5 (30%) were unsuccessful (4 deer and 1 pig). When prey escaped the initial attack, they sustained bite injuries that included lacerations to limbs and rump. An escaped prey can subsequently recover, be killed soon in a second attack by other lizards, or succumb to its wounds and/or infection hours or days later. Of these 5 escapes, one animal was soon attacked and killed by a second lizard (Fig. 1), two died within hours without further attack, one was pursued by 4 other lizards as it fled, and one limped away without pursuit by other lizards. Thus 1–2 of 17 attacks resulted in prey that may have survived long enough to become infected.
>>
That large reptiles have any place in the modern world outside zoos or on a dinner plate.
>>
Some people will look at a sea lion and say it's a seal, but sea lions are not seals.
>>
>>4774988
If fur seals are seals then so are sea lions
>>
>>4774257
>>4774705
>>4774775
>>4774857
>>4774977
I can’t lie, I kinda liked the super-bacteria explanation just because it was something that was pretty much unheard of and unique, but it does seem unlikely and wildly ineffective with how slowly it would kill
>>
>>4774857
you started a thread with the explicit purpose to spread lies as the new truth.
>>
>>4770839
>Cats have better long term memory and pattern recognition
youre full of shit
>>
>>4770104
>Look, it's the ocelot!
>It's an axolotl.
When I was in the zoo a few weeks ago, a 10 yo boy pointed at the donkeys and said "look, goats!!!"
>>
>>4769726
>all cobras are king cobras
>all sharks are great whites
>>
>>4769726
The stupid
>the snake is "sizing up" the owner to see if it can eat them
facebook story makes me so mad every time I hear it. I almost exploded at my boomer coworkers who were talking about it because of how retarded you have to be to believe it
>>
File: 1708177659536992.webm (2.59 MB, 640x640)
2.59 MB
2.59 MB WEBM
>>4769726
That animals are darwinistic robots and every single fucking thing or action they do has to have some "evolutionary purpose", and coincidentally every single normie just happens to be an armchair expert on evolution. This especially goes for normies on 4chan. God forbid that an animal would ever enjoy something for its own sake, no, they must be "diseased" or "inbred" or whatever the fuck.
>>
>>4776022
They look diseased or inbred
>>
>>4775649
>all cobras are king cobras
I’ll admit I believed this too. Never heard it any other context than referring to a King for the longest time
>>
>>4769744
Cats make dogs looks like assholes all the time, rover
>>
>>4769726
On a slightly related topic, it kind of irks me when people describe all cats as being the same when felinae and pantherinae are both pretty different from each other.
>>
>>4776022
case in fucking point
>>4771429
lmao

The joke of course being that it takes much more to buy that animals are logic gates with no thoughts or emotions at all, somehow instead mathematically doing a cost-benefit analysis of every action, instead of just being individual conscious creatures like humans, sharing 90% of the brain structure of humans, 90% of the same hormones, being evolved alongside humans and being from the same closely related orders, etc.
>>
>>4774977
>>4774857
Its not a myth it was a leading theory in herpetology until recently. Just because you are under aged and grew up when it has always been against the predominate doesn't mean its a myth or even wrong.
>>
File: 1684994821556434.jpg (727 KB, 2940x1960)
727 KB
727 KB JPG
>>4771429
This dog is smiling
>>
>>4776781
Yep, dogs "smile" by opening the mouth and showing the bottom teeth and tongue. If they are close-mouthed or showing their top teeth, it's a snarl/growl.
>>
>>4776785
The ears need to be forward and the tail wag needs to be gentle or absent for it to be a full smile, otherwise it's mixed with other emotions. A lot of dogs will pin their ears when they're excited though. If there's nothing showing they're relaxed or excited they're just hot.
Showing the top teeth and bottom teeth at once without any aggressive cues is a nervous grin.
When dogs are hyper-excited their panting starts to look like an insane smile.

tldr: dogs smile. But it's hard to tell visually, especially if the dog is ugly, so have your dog friend sniff their butt to double check.
>>
>>4769726
Not understanding the difference between domesticating and taming. Not realizing that even a wolf raised like a dog from puppyhood will still act wildly different from a dog.
Desu this difference should also be drawn for plants but you don't see that as often.
>>
>>4776769
tell ‘em
>>
>>4771429
>aww look the fox is enjoying living inside!!
>shows video of an animal panicked out of its fucking mind
God I hate these kinds of people
>>
>>4776846
"djinn" is like the only pet fox on youtube where the animal seems happy and comfortable and the owners seem well adjusted.
>>
Narwhals have a horn
It's a tooth
>>
"Bumblebees don't sting you, they burn you"
>>
>>4776781
>>4776785
>>4776787
I know my dog is smiling and not just panting if she actually pulls the corners of her mouth backwards. One of those things that you'll never mistake once you first notice it
>>
>>4776896
who the hell says that
>>
>>4776769
I grew up when people still thought Komodo dragons were nearly blind and deaf. It might have been a leading theory previously, but a long disproven theory being continually perpetuated into the present day makes it a myth
>doesn't mean its a myth or even wrong.
Even if you don’t call it a myth it’s definitely wrong
>>
>>4777194
You grew up being a faggot and you ended up being a nigger.
>inb4 spergout
Not the same anon you are replying to.
>>
>>4778342
>Angry child doesn’t like being told he’s wrong
Shut the fuck up and stop shitting up the thread
>>
>>4778649
>can't accept a scientific consensus
>has to make up unfounded bullshit to sound smart
I pity your peanut sized brain, it must've worked overtime to come up with that answer
>>
>>4778898
>scientific consensus
It’s not scientific consensus and hasn’t been for a long time dipshit. The original paper refuting the deadly bacteria theory and showing they have venom came out 15 years ago
https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.0810883106
>>
>>4769726
>orcas are whales
>elephants find us cute
>dolphins protect humans from sharks
>>
>>4779004
>elephants find us cute
lol. who knows maybe they do. cute is just a misfiring of your paternal instinct anyway.
>>
>>4779065
>cute is just a misfiring of your paternal instinct anyway.
This is popsci conjecture, however. It could also be related to your instinct for evaluating trustworthy and untrustworthy faces.
>>
File: 1690234408720.png (3.63 MB, 1536x2048)
3.63 MB
3.63 MB PNG
I think about how a lot of people don't think animals feel emotion or have thoughts or anything like that, like how people used to label them as flesh and bone automatons, that they aren't "conscious"
A lot of people think about fish and sea life like this still
I think about it probably at least a few times a month
I think about plants, and if it will transpire to be a similar situation in the future
If plants are actually conscious in some respects (they are, in my own, personal opinion) then the cognitive dissonance of vegans is going to tear them apart
I think about how it's all a cruel cycle of eating and being eaten

then I go to work for 8 hours in a box
physical reality is so weird
>>
>>4779080
Did you ever go deeper, and wonder that if animals are conscious, what they are conscious of?

The answers can be unnervingly close to just mindlessly labeling them flesh automatons.
>>
>>4779085
they're conscious of the same things we are, just different perspectives through the lens of their biology
>>
>>4779136
Not just a hilarious statement but proven objectively false many, many times over. Most animals are not even conscious of objects they can not see. Many are not demonstrably fully conscious of the difference between life and death, they just have a visceral reaction to the usual events of life and death they evolved to cope with (and fail to understand anything outside of that), while humans are all around here thinking about what it is like to die and how inevitable it is and at what point an AI becomes the birth of a life.
>>
>>4770047
I remember hearing that when I was a kid, the legend went that the daddy longlegs has the most powerful venom but it's fangs are not powerful enough/too short to properly bite people
>>
File: 1699362522218.jpg (24 KB, 518x354)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>4779139
I think this is silly, only addresses what is observable and not really the point I was trying to get across
good luck out there, friend
>>
>>4779067
physiognomy wins again
>>
>>4779004
Dolphins are toothed whales.
>>
>>4774257
Wait, that isn’t true? I thought it was weird that bacteria could kill so fast but just chalked it up to being some weird niche thing because Pacific islands are already full of weird niche things.
>>
>>4769968
Epitectus, the most honored philosopher at Rome's peak, was a slave
>>
>>4776896
Who the fuck told you that? Do you mean they bite you?
>>
>>4780084
Epitectus was the slave of Epaphroditus, a rich secretary to Nero, so not quite an ordinary one either
>>
>>4779004
that third one is true, it's just that people don't know their real intentions.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.