[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: cat owners.jpg (178 KB, 707x814)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
Uh...catbros?
>>
>>4775420
If we gave dogs carte blanche there wouldn't be many cats left to kill birds, urban rabbit populations would plummet, and deer tags would have to stop being issued as the populations would nosedive towards carrying capacity and never more.

Also, cattle ranchers would be pretty pissed, but who really gives a fuck about cattle ranchers, they don't even really watch or protect their herds.
>>
birds do nothing but shit on my car I say fuck them
>>
>>4775425
/thread
>>
>>4775425
SPBP

>>4775423
There also wouldn't be many toddlers left, because dogs left to their own devices love to attack humans.
>>
>>4775458
Not really. It depends on the breed.

Just 3 types of dog, making up less than 1/5th of dogs, were responsible for 349 out of 430 fatal attacks on humans in a 15 year period. The rest were probably abused (a lot of people think dogs should be abused apparently).
>>
Don't care.
>>
Who the fuck cares? It's very rare for people to have birds as pets. Cats and dogs are companions of mankind. They have been so for thousands of years, and in dogs case, tens of thousands. Birds did not evolve side by side with us. I find it sickening that our beloved pets are demonized by some freaks.
>>
>>4775420
But my cat doesn't hunt birds. He just lays around in the sun sleeping. If a bird is stupid enough to jump right in front of him he might grab it and "play" with it, but that bird is playing an important part in bird evolution by dying before it can reproduce and create more offspring fearless of cats.
>>
>>4775505
Cats have been demonized and exterminated in some cultures for their consistent failure to actually live up to the rat removal myth and overall tendency to be caught engaging in deals with satan
>>
File: 1704686467883497.jpg (139 KB, 960x684)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
Cats are natures number 1 enemy, nothing else comes even close.
>>
>But my cat doesn't hunt birds
why do retards keep saying this, there's no way for you to know that
>>
>>4775535
>wind turbines don't kill birds!
>see, they only kill 200k per year
>nevermind that it's mostly eagles and other large birds, not tiny backyard birds that number in the billions
>perfectly fine! what good is a golden eagle anyway?
>>
Cats are pure shit and deserve every bad thing that happens to them
>>
>>4775538
stop pretending you suddenly care about birds
>>
>>4775536
My cat just isn't much of a hunter of anything. Never seen any evidence he's attacked any birds like a feather stuck in his lip, and when I'm out with him he doesn't go after any birds. I can see him most of the time from my office window just sleeping in the garden. Can't say for sure he never catches anything but it must be pretty rare if he does.

The 2 feral cats that hang around do kill a lot of birds though. Not much I can do about them, I shot one but it lived. I was really hoping to get rid of them before nesting season but they're hard to catch, very wary of humans and just run away if they see me.
>>
>>4775541
I like birds but I know enough about them to know they die a lot, especially smaller common birds. They lay multiple eggs a year and keep their replacement numbers up so it's not much of a problem that they have high mortality. But the birds threatened by offshore wind include mostly larger, less numerous species so it's not a fair comparison to put that number next to birds killed by cats, which includes lots of invasive birds like house sparrows.
>>
As soon as I got a good cat chasing dog, I never saw a tick in my yard again and mosquito numbers plummeted.

Birds are beneficial, everywhere.
Dogs are beneficial, within my fence.
Cats are not. They are essentially houseplants, totally without function. Please stop letting them roam outside of your property.
>>
>>4775552
You know, I rarely see a mosquito and it's probably because of the birds. I get a lot of finches at my feeders and I think other birds that don't really use feeders but eat insects hang out too just because they see other birds and think, I guess this is a cool place to be.

Still lots of ticks around though, even with lots of turkeys and opossums. I'm in the woods so it's probably just inevitable.
>>
>>4775543
This description gives me an image of a fat orange cat lying on a outdoor table that despite having access to the outdoors, still shits in the litterbox into my head
>>
File: 1713133320385695.png (136 KB, 512x512)
136 KB
136 KB PNG
>>4775420
Just give it to the Chinese to be ahead of the curve.
>>
>>4775420
in my province our cats don't hunt animals. also I think all our cats came from the same ancestor because every cat in my town is allergic to shrimp never hunt

we have a different kind of cats. downside is they don't like to play with people when they're adult.
>>
File: tommy-cane.jpg (40 KB, 539x410)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>4775611
>islamic "culture"
>world leaders in goat abuse, pederasty, and public executing random innocents for disagreeing with some guy who raped an 8 year old girl and wrote a book about it
>hates dogs

>christian culture
>the foundation of civilization, scientific advancement, human rights, and common decency
>pic related
dogs = litmus test for humanity
>>
>birds do nothing but shit on my car I say fuck them
>Who the fuck cares? Birds did not evolve side by side with us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojOmUWLDG18
>>
>>4775423
>cat thread
>>b-b-but what about t-the dogs!!!!
literally every time
>>
>>4775420
>literally almost 6 month old article
Great job shitting up the board
>>
>>4775832
dogtard with no reading comprehension committing friendly fire right here
>>
>>4775475
the average mutt which is peak dog, will form packs and attack humans
>>
>>4775552
>Dogs are beneficial, within my fence.

Your dog doesn't do shit other than lick peanutbutter out of your asshole. Unless you own a herding dog that actually herds your mutt is a complete waste of resources and a danger to the neighborhood if it gets loose
>>
>>4775552
I don't disagree but if the only benefit your dog is providing you is the exact same as a spray-bottle of water then maybe your dog isn't beneficial to you.
>>
Dogs and cats are just beneficial to us as companions. But that is a big benefit.

Dogs are domesticated to it, cats are pretty much just naturally good at it. They don't need a companion/mate, bond well with humans, keep themselves clean and bury their excrement. Just natural behaviors to them that end up working out well as a pet.
>>
>>4775891
>>4775899
the hard truth
>>
>>4775689
smartest Chinamen
>>
>>4775425
Sorry, that was me
>>
>>4775535
I was shocked to hear him claim wind turbines killed hundreds of thousands of birds each year but it does seem true
Obviously much more minor than cats but still, why don’t the birds just not fly into the turbines??

>>4775541
Everybody in this thread cares about birds or cats
>>
File: chat cat men.jpg (45 KB, 600x611)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>4775922
>N-NOOOO MY DOG IS ACTUALLY SUPER USEFUL TO ME, A SUBURBANITE
>HE ACTUALLY KEEPS BLACK PEOPLE FROM BREAKING INTO MY HOUSE AND-AND
>SHUT UP A GUN WOULDN'T DO THAT WELL, WHAT ABOUT KEEPING CATS AWAY FROM MY PROPERTY HUH????
>NOOOO A GUN WOULDN'T WORK FOR THAT EITHER! SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

>My cat provides me with companionship. I require nothing else from him.

Why do dogfags require their pet to be of some utility for them to justify owning it? Despite what some no-chins on the 4-chins would tell you, companionship is a fine reason to own a dog.
>>
File: 20240418_171034.jpg (1.34 MB, 4080x3060)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
I'm aware. In any case, my cat almost always stays indoors and when she gets out i'm always with her watching. She never killed anything, except for a fly years ago. Now she's napping. shhh
>>
>>4775423
Excuse me sar but dogs actually do have free reign in almost every non Western country and none of these problems exist
>>
>>4776009
Based
Looks like mine
>>
My cats are going to have fun when the cicadas come out
>>
File: 1642999964350 (1).png (102 KB, 442x442)
102 KB
102 KB PNG
>>4775425
Based cats
>>
>>4776005
My dog chases your toxoplasmosis spreaders out so I can enjoy birds and not get toxo

>>4775891
Here's one of the owners of a well chased (and possibly bitten) cat that is now afraid to leave its porch. You can tell by the bestiality fantasy concurrent with the fantasy about dogs being dangerous.
>>
File: 20240129_211518.jpg (1.19 MB, 4032x3024)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>4776010
I visited a small town in Mexico that had dogs roaming the streets. Many of them were taken care by the community. The main road had several business allow dogs to chill inside during the hottest part of the day and they feed them every once in a while. Water bowls were also very common outside. If I were a wealthy man I'd create a sanctuary there. All the dogs were super nice and most asked for pets.
>>
File: Smug-Red-meme-1.jpg (17 KB, 265x326)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
Cats that walk outside are free game and any cat I see outdoors which doesn't wear a collar, I consider feral. Don't expect your cat to come back home again, if you're fine with it terrorizing smaller animals, then you also consent to it being up against some of the bigger ones now, not to mention cars and the likes.
>>
>>4775420
birds aren't real. they're NSA surveillance drones
>>
>>4775498
kill yourself
>>
Fuck birds, they’re annoying and shit on everything. They’re the last remains of dinosaurs and cats are doing a good thing by helping to finish what the meteor started. Those soulless sky lizards need to die off.
>>
>>4775532
There's a youtuber channel where he runs a rat killing business on farms. He sicks his dogs on them. They kill hundreds of rarts it's crazy.
>>
>>4776005
Dogs actually make eye contact with you and want to do the same things you're doing. Cats just walk around for no reason.
>>
>>4775423
Cattle would btfo dogs, so would deer, what kind of insane fantasy is this?
>>
>>4775891
They're a very effective break in deterrent
>>
>>4776005
Guns don't keep people from breaking in, they're a tool to respond to a break in. Id much much rather the break in never even start, and dogs are great for that
>>
>>4777269
fr
i have 3 dogs and dont even lock my house
>>
>>4777267
dogs kill hundreds of times more cattle than wolves in the US and they're causing deer extinctions in india. they are every capable.
>>
>>4777293
>in india
kek
>>
>>4776453
>Cats just walk around for no reason.
they spread their fecal matter all over the living space
>>
>>4776259
based
>>
>>4776259
>Gets run over by a car at 3 am
>Disapears forever
>>
>>4775420
When I'm at the family property in the meth belt I kill feral cats and roaming dogs (there are literally packs of ownerless hound/pibble mongrel mixes that roam the hills) without hesitation or regret.
t. wildlife appreciator
>>
File: gang.png (1.01 MB, 1267x790)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
>It's another episode of dogfags and catfags being at each other's throats because neither of them have anything interesting going on in their life making them try to fill that emptiness with pointless controversy.
They sooner you realise that both cats and dogs are cool the better.
>>
>>4775420
I don't care about songbirds in suburbia.
>>
>>4777410
It would be based if you didn't just pretend to do it on the internet.
>>
>>4777696
Well, that's some progress at any rate.

>>4777697
I do, but I don't take pictures for obvious reasons. Last year the tally was one and one; a small tom with a limp and a bad attitude and one mangy, tick-covered black dog about the size of a beagle. I don't enjoy doing it but I feel that it's something that needs to be done.
>>
>I like animal life
>BUT NOT THAT ANIMAL LIFE
Which gaia cult are you a member of so I can burn down their temple
>>
>>4777720
>if you like one thing you have to like all things
retard logic, of course its a catfag
>>
>>4775498
Based
>>
File: original.jpg (2.56 MB, 2029x2048)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB JPG
>>4777720
I like animal and plant life when it's in its native environment expleting its ecological function, not the useless living plushies people dump outside.
>>
>>4776124
>t. still has peanut butter stuck in his asshole
>>
>>4775997
and wind turbines aren't built in all countries but cats are in most houses or backyards of every country
>>
>>4778201
I hate wind turbins and cats
>>
>>4778201
> and wind turbines aren't built in all countries
If they aren’t they’re surely getting pretty close to it
>>
>>4775420
I plan on getting a cat because I'm tired of being responsible and want to be a piece of shit Karen like my neighbors.
>>
>>4777671
cats can be good or bad, depends on the individual. dogs can be good or bad, depends on the breed (mostly)
>>
>>4775535
How does one even estimate this stuff?
The wind turbine and electrocution numbers are probably extremely accurate because it's reported by workers, but I don't call the fish and wildlife agency when a bird hits my car.
And I certainly don't tell anyone when my little Garfield catches a bird.
>>
>>4778425
>electric industry self reports animal deaths
lmao
>>
>>4778434
they do bro
https://tethys.pnnl.gov/publications/literature-review-evidence-based-field-study-effects-high-voltage-transmission-lines
https://www.powereng.com/library/birds-on-a-wire-the-perils-of-power-lines
>>
>>4778434
Reporting damage on public infrastructure gets you funding to fix that shit.
>>
>>4775997
>why don’t the birds just not fly into the turbines??
I thought of putting a mesh "cage" around them like we do with electric fans for household use and maybe add some reflective streamers, but they've apparently found a cheaper solution is to paint part of one of the blades black or something and that's enough to signal to the birds to change course.
>>
>>4778457
Neither of these links imply this

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.