[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240419_182102-min.jpg (2.44 MB, 9248x6936)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
So this afternoon (around 18:30) i took a picture of this amazing view of a complete rainbow (if you look well enough you can even see the moon between the first and the second one).

When i looked at the photo i noticed that the color of the sky changes a lot over and under the rainbow. I've never seen (or noticed?) something like this.
What is even stranger is the fact that the sun was setting on the opposite side of the sky, so you would expect the sky's colours to get gradually darker when approaching the horizon under the rainbow. But this picture depicts the opposite: they are brighter under the bow and darker over it

I'm quite new to 4chan, so i dont know where i should post this. I will put it for now in /sci and /an. Thanks for the attention
>>
the picture is very nice but i have no idea on why the shift in colors happened
>>
>>4776861
The color of the sky is a natural gradient from lighter to deeper. The rainbow interrupts the gradient and makes it more visible. Your camera’s white balance software enhances this effect.
>>
>>4776869
>white balance software
I'm thinking that too; older cameras would adjust the entire image based on whatever pixels were the brightest, modern age technology makes an attempt to smooth stuff out a bit more naturally looking.

Was going to post a film photo of a rainbow for comparison, but I'm having extreme difficulty finding one.
>>
File: 1697913047422.jpg (67 KB, 1000x563)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>
>>4776861
I've never seen this affect. Have to agree, it might be related to the camera, unless you saw it too with your own eyes. Nice pic though.

Better question is why does the moon look so tiny here? The trees are normal sized but the moon looks barely bigger than a star.
>>
>>4776989
The moon is a cryptid, so it's obligated to appear smaller and blurrier in amateur photographs than it appears in real life. All professional astronomers are aware of this and know that you have to use considerably better equipment to overcome the effect.
>>
>>4776989
Because the moon is actually fucking small in the sky.
Try holding a green pea at you arm's reach and compare both.
>>
>>4776989
Camera perspective distortion
>>
>>4777344
I just went outside an hour ago and the moon is fuckhuge. And bright too, since it's getting close to being full. It hurt my eyes to look at it.
>>
>>4776861
at the risk of sounding retarded i think the rainbow is the outer edge of the entire diffraction phenomenon
>>
>>4777479
>at risk of sounding retarded
Brother this is an anonymous image board. Nothing follows you.
I do think you are right, btw

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.