[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240502_133302.jpg (3.78 MB, 4000x3000)
3.78 MB
3.78 MB JPG
Road-trip edition
>>
File: FUY6d5vUAAEacCZ.jpg (1.13 MB, 1512x2016)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
>>
File: 20240520_112230.jpg (1.51 MB, 1800x2650)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
>>4814787
This one almost stole our car.
>>
>>4814787
I have two backyard chickens that was given to me by a neighbor a year ago. It's nice having chickens and I want to get two more to get more eggs and start making the flock a bit bigger.

There's a lot of videos about introducing old flocks to new flocks, or introducing old chickens to new chicks, but what about introducing a very small number of chickens to a very small number of new chickens? Does that change things up? There's not much of a pecking order right now. They both copy each other, I've never once seen them fight, even when I give them perches they don't compete with height, and they equally take turns roosting on any eggs. I feel like new chickens is going to suddenly bring out the aggression in one of them as they feel like they HAVE to establish a pecking order now.
>>
Cheep
>>
File: image.jpg (578 KB, 1682x1256)
578 KB
578 KB JPG
Had my 'roos processed yesterday, left with 12 new hens. I don't know what I'm gonna do with all the eggs. I also have my first hen-incubated clutch due on Monday, so far so good I just hope she doesn't abandon the chicks.
>>
File: 20240608_094622.jpg (1.05 MB, 1758x1859)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
Look. An african americauna.
>>
>>4816670
careful he doesn’t steal anything
>>
>>4814922
You'd be surprised how nasty chickens can be to newcomers. I would try to have them where they can see each other but can't interact for a week at least. The new chickens will be stressed from the move and will be the "underdog", the older chickens will chase them off food and water. You'll want multiple feeder and water sources available. There's a strong chance that the new hens will not go back to the coop at night if they get chased off by the old hens, they'll try to find a spot to roost on their own, usually up a tree.
>>
>buy doggy
>raise him with chickens
>guard dog get
>let chickens free range
>???
>profit
Would this work?
>>
>>4817039
Thanks, anon.
>>
>>4817267
depends on the breed, if it has any amount of a hunting breed its a risk
>>
>>4817267
It can be real hard to raise a proper livestock guard dog. You can't just buy any dog, and you can't just get an adult one pre-trained. It's a lot of time and work involving getting the right breed from the right stock when they're puppies and going through not just physical training and command training, but emotional training. You wouldn't be able to just get a Shepard dog from a shelter and expect it to instinctually do its job. You want one whose parents were already farm dogs, you want the puppy to be exposed to livestock noises ASAP, you want it to see the parent guarding livestock to understand the behavior, you want the dog to become attached to the chickens as well so it feels a desire to protect them. Even THEN, with ALL that work, you still might end up with mismatched personality and they're not a good fit for guard fog.

There's a reason why farmers don't really get upset when they lose some chickens, but they're fucking heartbroken when they lose a good roster or a good dog. It's also the reason why electric fences are so much more popular. People would rather spend the money than the time and resources.
>>
File: 20240610_101848.jpg (1.98 MB, 3412x1800)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
Chicken noobs unknowingly got cornish cross for the fair instead of a normal breed, raised since april, too scared to slaughter themselves, become 10lb orb abomination chickens, we slaughter for them...

Don't do this.
>>
File: chigganshammock1.webm (3.66 MB, 480x852)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB WEBM
Relaxin chillaxin with the chigs
>>
File: chigganshammock2.webm (3.7 MB, 480x852)
3.7 MB
3.7 MB WEBM
The geese come
>>
File: IMG_20240610_211253.jpg (2.06 MB, 1823x2129)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
>>4818377
>>4818380
so comfy
>>
I recently learned that the animal that was domesticated to become chickens - the red junglefowl - is native to the jungles of southeast Asia and for some reason that blew my mind a little bit

Like yeah when you think about it, it makes sense, but you never think about chickens as being tropical birds
>>
File: chicks.webm (3.83 MB, 406x720)
3.83 MB
3.83 MB WEBM
The chicks are hatching. Mother hen is not happy when I try to take pictures.
>>4818377
>>4818380
Very nice.
>>4818323
I hear they get so big it's bad for their health, is it true?
>>
File: 20240610_101715.jpg (1.21 MB, 1799x2274)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
>>4818462
Existence is pain for them. They walk around like an obese person, and some of them have all but given up walking. I think this one has a tumor or something also.
>>
>>4817267
Maremma sheepdogs are apparently very capable of that and have been used on commercial farms.
>>
>>4818417
>>
File: Z72_6107.jpg (2.58 MB, 3000x2400)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB JPG
I got pullets
>>
File: Z72_6012.jpg (1.77 MB, 3000x2000)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB JPG
>>4818780
both leghorns are retarded but at least the other hens aren't bullying them (that much) and the wyandotte is friendly
>>
>>4818775
Woah… chicken DNA tests…
>>
>>4818823
More like Ancesturkey amirite?
>>
File: 20240612_120821.jpg (2.39 MB, 2991x1797)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB JPG
440 Cornish cross update. They're growing. Cleaning their enclosure every 2 days. 15-20 gallons of water per day. 75lbs of food per day.

We slaughtered the monster cornish the other day also. Turns out the 4H type teacher did not properly inform the teenager that the birds were supposed to be slaughtered at 8 weeks, so it wasn't really his fault. It turned into a great experience for the teenager. We taught him how to do the entire process and had him process some of his chickens. He was very squeamish about removing the guts, but eventually got it down and did a couple by himself.
>>
>>4820293
Imagine the cheeping
>>
File: 20240609_090224.jpg (1.91 MB, 1800x2294)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB JPG
In our layer flock I've noticed that there are a few different feet colors. I thought it was kind of interesting. There's yellow, black, blue, green, 50/50 yellow black, and these weird white ones. Apparently some european breeds have white feet.

>>4820297
From reasonably quiet to headache inducing depending on their mood. If they are hungry they get loud.
>>
>>4820293
I kinda wonder if the mentor just never raised cornish cross before? Even at 5 weeks, they tend to be heavy enough to look miserable.
>>
File: 01029929299219.jpg (544 KB, 1438x1324)
544 KB
544 KB JPG
Gonna buy my first chickens this weekend. I'm from PR. Which of these breeds are better for eggs? I'm also curious on the ones that lay colored eggs, are they good layers? Also what's the deal with pheasants, are they only good as pets or do they have some farm use?
>>
File: chickfoot.jpg (761 KB, 1529x1647)
761 KB
761 KB JPG
Does this look like scaley leg? I have a hen that's gone lame.
>>
>>4820433
Rhode Island reds or white leghorn are pretty decent; I don’t recall any of the chickens listed being bad layers, but something like the orpingtons or wyandotte may struggle somewhat in your climate and not lay as much.

Most of the colored egg layers tend to grow slightly slower and lay slightly fewer sometimes smaller eggs a week, but usually stay productive slightly longer to make up for it. I’ve tried cream legbars for the first time this year and they’ve been great so far; I still have another month until they should begin laying though.

Pheasants are gorgeous and taste nice enough- often they are raised as something for people to pay to shoot at. They don’t have much farm utility since they need to stay confined.
>>
>>4820456
Thanks anon. I'll probably go for 3 to start, a white leghorn, an ameraucana and a creme legbar.
>>
>>4820439
I’m not sure if it’s just the camera, but what looks like raw redness on the feathered side of the toe might be worth taking a closer look at just in case you have an abscess to deal with.
>>
>>4814865
you've got cobwebs on your rear view mirror you filthy /an/imal
>>
>>4818377
does the peanut butter trick work with them?
>>
>>4820439
I lost two chickens last year from lameness. Regardless of disease, I recommend giving them vitamin B supplements, especially if they have limited roaming space. It’ll help them with their general health but muscle health in particular. I noticed a significant change in some of my hens when I started giving them vitamin B
>>
They turned out so biggie.
>>
Velociraptors have fallen.
>>
>>4821357
How is it given, in their water or their food? And how often?
>>
>>4821437
I did it once a day in their water, though you can put it in their food. You just have to make sure they all get some. Also, they can’t overdose on it because if they consume any excessive amounts it’ll just pass through their body like normal.
>>
If any of you aren't already doing it, I highly recommend fermenting your feed with crushed lump charcoal and apple cider vinegar. It's great for chicken health, improves their manure, and cuts down on the smell significantly. It doesn't take much charcoal. I add 2% to my feed by weight and I get great results.
>>
>>4817267
Great pyrenees would work well for this. You can also get geese or guineafowl to protect your flock.
>>
>>4821437
Not that anon, but it’s most often available as liquid or powder. Can be put in their water or top dressing on their feed or directly by hand. I prefer by waterer to a flock so I know they’re not picking around or wasting it. For how often, I’d probably give it directly by dropper daily to a sickly bird that looked like it had a deficiency. B vitamins are water soluble and are really difficult to overdose, and they do need a daily source of them (whether that’s from feed, foraged bugs, or supplements).
I use it daily in their water when they are still growing. After that, only during periods of stress or daily when I expect them to start molting or I want to raise eggs.

That said, I also regularly give chopped beef liver as treats to adult birbs; which might be why I don’t notice enough of a visible difference to be worth giving a B-complex more often. I’ve had a bad experience with splay-leg in a few chicks on supposedly good quality feed, which is why I’m paranoid enough to supplement every batch of chicks now.
>>
I got my grandpa some Seramas a few months ago. They are so damn cute! I like to hold them like little wine glasses.
>>
>>4821492
I think this one is a rooster.
>>
>>4821493
>>4821492
Here are Serama eggs compared to an egg from Walmart.
>>
>>4816670
>>4821412
>>4821493
Based nigbirds.
>>
>>4817267
breed has to be researched very thoroughly - any degree of established prey drive in the breed is a no-go. you'd be shocked how many dumbasses buy a husky or some shit, find all their birds ripped to shreds one night and go "but it was perfectly fine for 2 years!"
not a matter of if, just when.
even with breeds that have low prey drive, if you aren't raising them from a pup with the flock, and taking a lot of time out of your life to train them properly and acclimate them to whichever animals specifically need guarding/shepherding, you'll end up having problems/dead chickens.
it's definitely not easy-street.

the idea itself isn't bad, but most folk I've met who had the idea were lazy cocksuckers who ended up with a poorly trained dog and/or a bunch of dead livestock.

you might also wanna look into guard geese - they can't fight any kind of real threat, but they'll still almost always step up and try to drive threats off with biting and hissing, even if they can't do real damage. generally more of an "alarm animal" than guard animal. they'll hate your houseguests though, even if they like you.

realistically, just putting in the money and elbow grease to make a properly reinforced, large-scale chicken run with a good 2-stage latch and raised boxes for the coop is more than enough to handle most threats. like I said though, most folks falling love with the "home on the range" fantasy and getting backyard chickens and dogs right now are lazy and/or stupid, so they end up in the shit a year or two later
>>
>>4817267
>>4821680
and also a lot of folks who try to do the free-range thing don't properly feed or water their chickens. you do still have to do both if you don't want them getting sick or dying early.
even people in the most podunk-ass, shithole ratfuck garbage Cambodian villages still feed their chickens while letting them free-range on bugs and seeds. chicken feed is cheap as shit so keep that in mind if you wanna free-range

and finally, if you live in the sticks and free-range the chickees unsupervised, good doggo or no, you WILL lose birds to predators if you're not willing to do some ad-hoc construction
>>
>>4821682
>podunk-ass, shithole ratfuck garbage Cambodian villages
Quite descriptive
>>
File: 20240615_095309.jpg (2.67 MB, 1800x2647)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB JPG
Love me a good chicken line.
>>
>>4820487
kill yourself
>>
>>4816670
Shocker it’s lusting after the white chicken.
>>
>>4821682
Even if you live in the suburbs or the inner city. Raccoons are numerous and highly intelligent. Instead of turning into a surly murderous fuck who eventually devolves into laying pounds of poison in the alleyway, causing the total extinction of every mammal in a 5 mile radius, and murdering family pets for standing on his lawn:
get your birds fenced.

No, not in a shitty chicken wire aviary. With a few feet of wood, that goes a few inches into the ground, the chicken wire is only good for the roof and the anti-climb barrier around the top. Also keep the coop off the ground with nesting box lids latched and the door closed at night. It'll cost you less than the civil suit and revenge vandalism over the first dead family dog on your hands no matter how much libertarian ranting you dispense after the fact. And you will turn into a surly murderous fuck. Every life you take of a kind scars your soul to that kind. Don't even kill foxes, you don't want it to happen to you.
>>
>>4822476
kek
>>
>>4822527
Raccoons actually deserve it though.
>>
File: 20240617_094421.webm (1.48 MB, 720x1280)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB WEBM
A ring of chicken for your enjoyment.
>>
>hen decides that she's hot shit
>starts sleeping outside of coop
>mysteriously turns up dead two days later
Wowww, good job
>>
>>4824036
I'm sorry anon. I had a girl try to spend the night outside and she got taken apart by an owl.
>>
>>4818377
Why is it pecking at your crotch
>>
>>4824036
>>4824183
Do you think they die quickly at least? Sucks that they’re such a menu item for… everything
>>
>>4824205
My girl didn't. I followed her tracks through the snow. She was a fighter.
>>
>>4821492
Very cute bird, that beak looks overgrown though.
>>
>>4824223
Do you think that’s better or worse? Either way, sucks. Sorry.
>>
>>4824036
only times I've ever seen hens start roosting outside the coop at night is if there was something very wrong inside them. Usually the inside is fucking disgusting and never cleaned, mite problems, predators/rats/mice having access that the owner didn't know about, or unmanaged pecking order abuse the owner was unware of/didn't get involved in (frequent feather pulling, eye pecks, and such)
a lot of chicken-keepers seem to not want to spend time in the coop at night or install cameras, but this issue is usually caused by a lapse in owner vigilance
>>
>>4823801
imagine if they all collectively decided to attack you at once
I wonder if they could pull it off
>>
>>4824296
I don't know. It might have been best if she didn't even know she was being hunted, just a quick death and disappearance, but at least she had a chance. If I had heard it happening I probably could have saved her.
>>
File: 20240619_102525.jpg (2.61 MB, 3093x1661)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB JPG
:)

>>4824437
Maybe if the roosters grow their spurs long enough.
>>
>>4823801
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDVtMYqUAyw
I'm feeling it bro
>>
I've owned a few chickens and these things are so stupid, they are borderline brainless.
So why do I want to pick'em up and hold them every time?
>>
File: catch-a-chicken.jpg (68 KB, 1021x580)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>4824673
As humans we have a deep set instinctive desire to capture, pick up, and carry small edible animals and we derive an immense amount of enjoyment from doing so
>>
I am a regular human with only two hands, so what is the best way to hold a chicken to wash its feet? Also, is a fingernail brush too rough? I’m not sure if I’m trying to remove mud or poo, but everyone was terrified of the damp rag I was holding earlier.
>>
File: holding+hen.jpg (81 KB, 479x599)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>4824729
Like you don't want them to poop on you, how you should have already been holding them
>>
>>4824729
Hold them upside down putting each leg between your fingers. It stuns them after the initial flapping around.

You can also carry like 8 chickens in one hand with this method.
>>
>>4818775

Wow did realize Rhodies were so genetically distinct from the rest. Thats a massive difference and with no intervening links.
>>
>>4820469

If you can get a Rooster anon, do so. They look out for the girls and you can breed them.
>>
>>4824731
Couldn’t figure out a variation of this where the wings would stay pinned, but also where I could see the darn feet clearly and keep em still enough too…while everyone panicked over the washcloth flapping in the wind.

>>4824743
This was the trick; thanks anon.
>>
File: IMG_2455.jpg (529 KB, 1024x1024)
529 KB
529 KB JPG
I’ve had enough lads. Had a Fox kill one of my sweetest chickens right in front of me and her flock. Dragged her screaming off into the underbrush. The dog and I tracked them a quarter mile through the prickliest nastiest shit bush until it let go of her. But by then she was too far gone.

This is the second chicken I’ve lost to this fox fucker. Enough is enough. I’ve purchased a live capture trap. If it goes well and I capture it without losing any further chickens, I’ll relocate it in the next county over. Otherwise it’s toast.

I hear KFC is irresistible fox bait. I would deeply appreciate the advice and insights of anons on this issue.

>inb4 circle of life
>I live out in farm country with a smaller forested lot that backs onto an identical forested lot
>lots of people around me free range their chickens
>fox lives in my neighbours forest and raids into mine
>neighbour won’t allow me to destroy/trap its den because she “doesn’t believe in it”
>>
>>4825255
Have you heard of a fence? I keep my chickens in a pen. Wild animals come from an endless supply until the earth itself dies and you live in a dusty hellhole.
>>
>>4825280
This.

You can also try traumatizing the fox by letting the chickens attack it through the trap for awhile. Supposedly a fox that’s been scared off of chickens enough won’t hunt them unless it’s starving and it’ll still be territorial enough to keep other foxes out of the area. Might be wishful thinking.
>>
>>4825291
There are more predatory animals than just foxes

Anything short of better security is just passively killing chickens
>>
File: 20240620_110240.jpg (1.98 MB, 2806x1387)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
We are improving everyday. There WILL be more chicken drawings soon.

>>4825255
Consider an electric fence. They're a bit unsightly, and require upkeep in the form of weedwhacking the grass right at the fence, but they work great.
>>
File: IMG_2457.jpg (538 KB, 1024x1024)
538 KB
538 KB JPG
>>4825280

Ever hear of Free Range?

>>4825280

Yes I know. You’re right. I’ll probably add a fenced area. But I have four acres of lawn and triple that in forests. I had hoped they would be able to enjoy at least some of it at liberty.

>>4825291
That’s an interesting idea but I’m not inclined to go that route. It will get relocated if I’m feeling generous. It will get a .22lr in the brain if I’m not. I’m certainly not interested in a ‘maybe’ option at rehabilitation. The closest I’ll get will be feeding it to my chickens once it’s dead.

>>4825328
Interesting idea but kind of overkill. My area has very few daytime predators and this fox is the only one I’ve consistently seen on trail cams for years. We have coyotes but they’re almost exclusively nocturnal. So I’m not really ready to hook up an electric fence. Taking out this fox will be a short term solution. My long term solution will be a combination of better security and a bigger flock that can sustain some attrition.

I have twenty eggs incubating right now, including those of the two chickens that fox has killed. My girls will live on through their sons and daughters. And I’ll expand the flock as much as my coop size will allow.
>>
>>4820485
it's the Chicken's responsibility now
>>
>>4825342
Chickens aren't all that smart and are very, very tasty. If they're not penned in, you need to be right there, all the time. No petty fox revenge will change or prevent future losses.

If it helps you feel better mine are afraid to leave the cluck shed.
>>
>>4825393
>the cluck shed.
Good one :)
>>
File: Z72_6905.jpg (2.23 MB, 2400x2400)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB JPG
new from henbockwell.com
>>
>>4826064
>this hen only stares at gay people
>>
File: 20240621_091131.jpg (1.76 MB, 1800x1697)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
>>4826064
Infinitely based
>>
File: 20240622_192432.jpg (1.93 MB, 2996x1408)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
6 10x12 joel salatin style chicken tractors almost completed. Spent about 8 hours working on them today with 2 other people. These fit 75 cornish cross each. Total cost for everything is going to be around 2500 with auto waterers. Cheap compared to hoop coops.

We are waiting to get corrugated aluminum until next season which will probably be around another thousand dollars.

These should pay for themselves after their first batch.
>>
one of my newly hatched chicks' right foot is fucked up
the fingers are not spread and it can't step on it
what do?
>>
File: DzVI8LzUcAA4LdO.jpg (76 KB, 1023x967)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
tfw one of my chicks is probably a dude and i'll have to kill it
>>
>>4826904
https://www.hobbyfarms.com/crooked-toe-disorder-treatment-chicks-poultry/
>>
>>4821479
Would used black tea leaves with bits of orange peel be fine in fermented feed, or would the caffeine or citrus oils inhibit lacto-fermentation?
Kinda just want to see if they’d enjoy it.
>>
>>4825342
Free range chickens are still in a pen? Are you telling me you're just letting your chickens roam completely and utterly unfenced?
>>
>>4827139
NTA that's what my chickens do. I might get a chicken tractor for when I have guests with dogs come up. Just get a rooster.
>>
File: 20240623_185525.jpg (2.71 MB, 1800x2857)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB JPG
Done! These came out really sturdy and are very easy to move. Chickens are going in tonight!!

If we time things properly we can do 450 cornish cross every 8 weeks from spring to late summer with these.

We're feeding these 100% organic and should be able to profit around 10-15 dollars per bird with online sales and local pickups. Haven't done the math completely yet, but our last birds came out costing 13 each with non bulk food and averaged 5.5lbs each.
>>
File: file.png (1.21 MB, 800x800)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB PNG
>>4825291
>by letting the chickens attack it through the trap for awhile

I know this is probably a theory, but how would you ever get your chickens close enough to a caged fox to try and peck at it to begin with? Unless you get some chicken puppets with your friends and start scarring the shit out of it by banging on the cage or something.
>>
>>4827111
because it will fight with the rest?
>>
>>4827111
Typically roosters that are raised in a flock don't create problems. Do you live somewhere that doesn't allow roosters? You can get online and find people nearby who would be willing to take him in. That's how I got my rooster.
>>
>>4827127
I would skip it. I don't think it would mess with the fermentation too much, but tea leaves aren't good for them and citrus can cause digestion trouble.
>>
File: IMG-20240603-WA0007.jpg (363 KB, 1200x1600)
363 KB
363 KB JPG
Chicken back in good health after dumping a whole bottle of Vitamin B into their water

Lost another 2 to a heatwave (It’s 48C right now)
I'm running the misters for 6 hours from 11AM to 5PM now. Chickens sit right under them cooking off.
>>
>>4827385
Sorry to hear that anon. Do they have adequate shade? Besides water, shade is the number 1 thing they need to help them in the heat.
>>
>>4827284
>>4827287
while there are no laws on owning hens here, roosters are illegal in urban areas.
>>
>>4827519
wow what a shithole
>>
>>4827284
>>4827519
because they scream at the top of their lungs
>>
>>4827519
So put up an ad online. Someone would love to have a rooster.
>>
>>4827385
Add 1% basedbean oil to their feed. It helps with heat stress. You should also get some kiddie pools to put in some shade and fill them with water and bricks, pavers, or something similar for them to stand on. My chickens don't like having their feet wet so try not to completely submerge the bricks. Chickens lose heat through their feet, combs, and waddles because they aren't feathered.
>>
File: 20240624_102934.jpg (2.86 MB, 3360x1800)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB JPG
The move went pretty smoothly. We loaded them all into a horse trailer and drove them to the ranch last evening.

They all survived their first night outside. Yay.

Total count is right at 400, so a 10% loss as expected.
>>
fug I got a chicken that can't seem to lay eggs with shells anymore. we've tried to give her extra calcium and vitamin D for a week but she can only manage to squish out soft membranes around the yolk and whatnot.
is it over for her? she seems to struggle to push out the shell-less eggs.
>>
>>4827763
Where's your foghorn Leghorn thiccboy looking ass?
>>
>>4828009
What form of calcium? Try a liquid form like the commercially available supplements or oyster shells dissolved with vinegar. You might want to isolate her and try to keep her in a stress free environment with toys and entertainment. Look up videos on how to treat egg bound chickens and keep at it.
>>
>>4827763
>a 10% loss as expected
Were you expecting those losses because they're meat birds? There are things that you can use to supplement their feed that could potentially reduce mortality.
>>
File: 20240623_1034141.webm (2.42 MB, 864x1452)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB WEBM
>>4828018
50 feet away. I can yell HAAAAAAAAAWK and they all sprint back to their coop. It's pretty fun with this many birds.

I saw that we bred an all white americauna. Completely white feathers, and white feet! Pretty cool bird. I've been trying to get a pic of it.

>>4828029
Yeah, cornish cross are particularly prone to randomly dying. We had healthy looking chicks dying up to three weeks old. One of the reasons I kinda dislike raising them...
We may try red rangers one season. The infrastructure is totally different(electric fence + hoop coops) and I think margins are lower on them unless you upsell them with something like a zero PUFA organic diet because they take 11 weeks to raise instead of 8-9.
The chick boxes are sold with 88 chicks in each of them. I think that number is chosen because it's just accepted that you'll get 10% mortality, and you do your order size off 80 per box instead of the 88 they ship out with...

With the batch of 270ish layer birds we hatched from egg we had less than 5% mortality.
>>
>>4828028
just little tablets we had. I didn't know there were liquid forms available, I'll look for those and try the isolated, stress free environment. thanks.
man, seeing the chicken feel bad is a much bigger bummer than I expected.
>>
File: 1718844192862945.jpg (30 KB, 297x360)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>4814787
What are /ck/'s honest thoughts on the Bhagel Asil?
>>
>>4828031
Neat, the last 3 are cooked lol.
>>
Inferior bird. Plenty that are better.
>>
>>4828031
Wait, are these YOURS? Why do you need so many???
>>
>>4828141
Yes! I'm diving head first into poultry farming! We have almost 800 birds in total right now.

In august we are getting 500 laying hens in addition to this flock, and will eventually have a 1k bird laying flock. Our bigger ranch friends are hooking us up with a really good deal on pullets that are just about to start laying. 10 bucks each!!

I have the bresse also lol.
>>
>>4828041
I like it. It'd give it an 8/10.
>>
>>4828040
Good luck, anon. I had a sick chicken that thankfully recovered. I hope your girl gets better too.
>>
>>4828031
Sounds like you know what you're doing. I've read some studies about different food supplements reducing mortality rates in meat birds, but I think most of them are probably too expensive to be worthwhile for you. One of the cheapest options would be to supplement their feed or their water with yeast. Some studies suggest that it can help them survive changes in their environment.
>>
>>4828152
How's bird flu up there
>>
File: 20240625_110736.jpg (569 KB, 918x1302)
569 KB
569 KB JPG
Here she is. The all White americauna. Maybe I will call her breed variation americauna pride, hah.

>>4828166
I need to do more research on inexpensive stuff like that. I hear oregano oil is a good one also. It isn't too expensive either.

>>4828250
Kinda fucked, but not incredibly fucked.
>>
>>4827521
Iceland. I live in the second largest town, but Reykjavik doesn't even allow chickens unless you get permission from every single neighbour.
>>4827544
there are 20 people at any point looking to rehome their roosters. people don't really take them. if somebody takes it they'll most likely kill it right away anyway.
>>4827535
that also, but the main reason they give is that they can be dangerous to small children
>>
>>4828519
>I hear oregano oil is a good one also.
Neat. I'll look into that, but I can't imagine it's cheap. I supplement my layer feed with several natural supplements for my chickens' health and my eggs' flavor and makes my feed 10x more expensive. Basedbean oil can help with heat stress too.
>>
>>4828914
>there are 20 people at any point looking to rehome their roosters. people don't really take them. if somebody takes it they'll most likely kill it right away anyway.
Better just give up before even trying then.
>>
>>
>>4827519
If you caponize him early enough, I think he shouldn’t start crowing any more than the hens do. I haven’t had the opportunity yet to try doing it myself.

>>4827385
My old mentor swore by adding a livestock electrolyte mix to their water to cope with heat stress and to prep for travel. Might be worth trying.
>>
I have a couple of one year-old hens. I want to get a few more pullets + a rooster for hawk protection. There's always farms nearby looking to give away cockerels for free. Can you introduce a young rooster to older hens and have them live in harmony with each other? I'll be separating them for awhile in separate coops+runs, do free ranges in shifts, and I'll monitor group free ranging. But I have no idea if older females will respect a young male when they've gone their whole life without ever having one.
>>
>>4828949
If you buy a concentrate like this it isn't too expensive. If I did my math correct this bottle would last a small flock months to years with daily use.

This 32oz bottle makes 5120 gallons of drinking water.
>>
>>4829100
mine do
>>
>>4828914
we have an icelander here? i love your environment :)
>>
>>4829134
Half as many gallons by my math, but that's definitely more economical than I was expecting
>>
>>4829100
If he's a lot younger then they may not allow him to mate with them until he's older, but unless he causes problems they won't run him off.
>>
>>4829087
Then what would be the point of having a rooster? You want him to be all roostery so he chooses to fight and die to protect the flock.
>>
>>4829214
The point usually is just to eat them later, but I figured op might want gamble on whether or not their pet bird they’ve seemingly grown attached to needs to die.
>>
Most humane way to cull a rooster?
>>
>>4829300
clean cut with a sharp axe.
>>
>>4829247
Nah, you can eat any chicken, especially if you get a dual purpose breed like Australorps. You get a rooster so it can protect your flock and you let him get old and build experience and raise his sons and teach them the ways of guarding the flock. Then you eat him.
>>
>>4829300
There's lots of differing opinions. Usually beheading, breaking their neck, or using a kill cone are considered the most humane, but whatever method you use the most important thing is to do it properly. A fuck up will be bad for you and the rooster.
>>
I have a hen that now jumps into my arms.
Nice holding warm round birb.
>>
this thread does not belong in this board
>>
>>4829300
Killing cone is probably the easiest and cleanest for a beginner. The MOST humane would technically to be using a poultry bolt gun.
>>
I really love orpingtons, but are they considered medium or large breeds? I'm getting mixed answers online.
>>
>>4814787
Do chickens need to free-range if you have a big enough walk-in run for them to fuck around in? 2m x 2m for example.
>>
Bought my first bulk order of grain today. 2250lbs of organic chick starter. It will last me 10 days, hah. Price was 866 dollars. Saved almost 500 bucks compared to 50lb bags.

Moved, watered, and fed all 400 cornish in about 10-15 minutes with another person helping. The tractors are a true joy to use. You could have like 20 or 40 of these and bust through them in a couple hours, easy.
>>
>>4829425
Roughly how much profit do you make?
>>
>hearing the bok bok of my neighbor's chickens from my kitchen window while I do my daily chores
feels comfy
>>
They're a fun subject to photograph, and the bresse are very pretty birds.
>>
that's a lot of eggs
>>
File: 1713402552263683.jpg (1.58 MB, 1306x979)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB JPG
check out my new watering system
Next upgrade: a float valve
>>
>>4829464
That is very interesting and unique. Any reason you didn't have it fill a larger shared reservoir?
>>
>>4829444
This is our first large batch that we will be selling. It's going to a usda poultry plant for processing/packing. We are hoping for around 10 dollars profit per bird depending on how we sell them. We mainly want to do subscriptions with local pickup/dropoff, and possibly shipping.
It will be less than what we could have made because we weren't able to buy bulk grain.

We did a batch of 45 that cost around 12-13 dollars each on non bulk organic grain.

I'll probably continue blogging about this and have some real numbers for you in a few weeks.
>>
>>4826736
how do you pull them?
>>
>>4829961

https://youtu.be/KHExC6EBckE?si=QhSVm-2wEfgKh31d
>>
Bock.
>>
>>4829138
thanks. i hate it :I
>>
>>
File: 20240704_100627.jpg (3.1 MB, 3000x2894)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
Rare brown splash cornish.
>>
>>4834624
Sheeesh.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.