[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Do you think horses like being ridden? Or is it like a slavery?
>>
>>4825754
Horses like dogs have something of a work ethic. It might not always be fun I get the impression they like having something to do. Although how much is submission and how much is eagerness you'll probably never know.
We stabled a horse that didn't get ridden very often when I was kid but it would stand by this mounting block sometimes until I hopped on it and it ran around the field a few times. It wasn't routine or anything so my best guess is it just wanted to.
>>
>>4825754
No, it is not “”””like a slavery”””””, that’s what they were bred for and it’s practically second nature for them.
>>
>>4825754
some do some don't
>>
>>4825754
>Do you think horses like being ridden? Or is it like a slavery?
Like slaves, it depends on the individual. There were former slaves who continued to advocate for slavery after the civil war concluded.
>>
>>4825754
horses dont have the cognitive capacity to like or dislike things, they just react to the environment, often mistakenly
>>
>>4825754
They do, just not by fat people
>>
>>4825754
Yes to both
>>
>>4825893
Tell that to anyone that's ever been kicked by a horse, the one's still alive that is.
>>
>>4825953
should they be freed?
>>
>>4825754
From the POV of a human that has given rides to rats on my shoulders, yes it's enjoyable since I like seeing the rats having fun with me, but I wouldn't want to do it all the time. I'd say horses feel roughly the same about it
>>4825893
>they just react to the environment, often mistakenly
That's what "liking or disliking things" essentially is to begin with, even in humans
>>
>>4825754
Horses, like elephants, have to be mentally broken by torture before they will allow people to ride them.
>>
File: Lycrafag_and_mare.gif (1.88 MB, 294x292)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB GIF
>>4825893
>horses dont have the cognitive capacity to like or dislike things
>>
>>4828210
That seems more than unlikely
>>
>>4828210
they are lazy creatures who are forced by the pain pressures of the bits in their mouths and the whips on their hides.
>>
>>4825754
I think they usually like it. It’s hard to explain but they have very strong personalities. They even test you all the time to see if you’re experienced and authoritative.
I see a lot of trainers who ride a horse with another one on the side and, while it follows the trainer, it doesn’t have that spirited gait they do when they’re ridden.
>>4828559
Bits don’t hurt all the time. Depends on the bit you use. There’s a bit in the stable I go to that apparently tickles the horses mouth so they keep moving so that it tickles more. Others are a lot more neutral and some do bite in a tad for maximum control.
>>
>>4825789
You sound like that dialogue Leo gave in Django Unchained.
Not that I disagree
>>
>>4825754
>Do horses like being ridden
Highly depends on the individual horse and their relationship with the rider, breed influence, etc.
>Is it like slavery?
No. It's an animal.
>>
>>4828210
>retard who has never worked with horses
>>4828559
>retard who believed ARA propaganda
Normal bits don't hurt and no one uses whips. Riders use crops (short stick) while riding or a lunging 'whip' (long stick) for ground training or driving. Can these items hurt? Yeah, in the same way yanking on your dogs collar a bunch will hurt. Just don't misuse the tool and you won't abuse your animal. Dumbass.
>>
I believe that, horses adaptively left behind a sense of freedom over the security humans could bring, water and food, stabled domestic horses are cognigtively just a minimal fraction of what a horse that grew up in freedom, and open fields with his herd can be.

I like to believe there's two kind of behaviours a horse can adapt to, one is imposed by it's herd, naturally and the common good of the group and the one imposed by the human, and can be based of fear and stress or release and dopamine, though I also believe using these terms to try to humanize the same behaviours and patterns as if they where humans is overly retarded, horses are used to be prey, and to be stressed about it, if a person can transmit that sense of security and the horse can learn out of joy and curiosity instead of fear, then there's a good relationship between rider and horse.
It's rare, but in any case horses just get used to these things, if they like it or not.
Are they slaves?
Yes, but also humans live clustered around four walls and doing things they don't like most of the time
>>
>>4828585
candy was so cool
>>4828663
based
>>
>>4828663
>never worked with horses
You don't work with horses, they work for you, and today they're pretty much useless aside some niche outdoor jobs.
>>
File: horses are forever.jpg (170 KB, 1200x1124)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>4828895
t. combustion-carriage owner
>>
File: 1626418206001.jpg (62 KB, 500x300)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>4828945
>horses are forever
Not so fast.
>>
File: bobsocks.jpg (574 KB, 2048x1536)
574 KB
574 KB JPG
whatever happened to Bob?
>>
>>4828895
>they work for you
They work for you better if you have a good relationship with them, i.e, if you work with them instead of trying to dominate them.
>today they're pretty much useless aside some niche outdoor jobs
>doing things out of love and passion is useless
What a sad life you must lead.
>>
>>4829384
>>doing things out of love and passion is useless
Perfectly on topic, I do think keeping captive animals as a recreation is slavery, even more questionable than putting them at work.
>>
>>4829633
well that’s silly don’t you think?
>>
>>4829633
So you're retarded?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.