[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 01Larson-Bats-new.jpg (88 KB, 745x460)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
How do we feel about the only flying mammals?
>>
>>4826563
>only
Not so fast...
>>
>>4826565
That's a plane retard
>>
>>4826563
If they can't evolve beaks they're evolutionarily stuck
>>
File: dimorphodon&spectralbat.jpg (499 KB, 2160x3840)
499 KB
499 KB JPG
>>4826608
?
>>
>>4826624
Goofy looking little nigga lmao fruit bats busy mogging
>>
>>4826606
Planes are mammals, here's one lactating to feed its young
>>
>>4826565
Damn. What’s the thing on the left then?
>>
>>4826563
>>
>>4826643
why
I don't know anything about planes but aren't fighter jet flights always short enough so the fuel tank doesn't need refueling?
and if it was a long flight wouldn't it just be more efficient to have the plane land and send another one in the air and swap them out refueled?
or just you know, have the plane land, refuel and then go up again?
I can see picrel only being useful in an exercise
>>
>>4826866
No you're just retarded
>>
>>4826866
It's mostly done as an exercise. Because most jets wouldn't be deploying from an airfield they'd be deploying for an ac carrier in most scenarios that involve combat. Very limited run way real estate. So they need to be really practiced in this in the event either that ship has an issue has too many in or outbound ac to manage a refueling and can't redirect to another carrier or landing. It just just such a logistical bottleneck to not be prepared for mid air refueling and makes a lot of sense in circumstances where there might not even be a carrier. The mastery of this one thing allows such a greater range and time of potential deployment it's very much worth doing. Especially if it would mean losing a 16+ million dollar piece of equipment if it wasn't there.
>>
>>4826866
>>4826881
>>4826893
Truly an incredible maneuver. You have to bet that the first person to suggest this was looked at like they were insane.
>>
>>4826893
>makes a lot of sense in circumstances where there might not even be a carrier
I see that makes sense, I didn't think of that. I just assumed perfect conditions but if the enemy destroys your carrier then the conditions are less than perfect
>>
>>4826918
You don't even have to think of it like that. What if the carrier is fine. And you have an operation that's just further inland because whatever sea or port is occupied or it would break some treaty to get in an a more advantaged posistion. This allows you to get there and get back. Or even if say you're taking off some remote airbase and have avoid violating this giant wall of airspace. Yes the operation will cost more but it's within your realm of possibility because of this instead of having to spend 24 days moving this ship out of this place it's needed.
>>
File: 1719167116211.jpg (129 KB, 828x1172)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>4826881
Based /k/omrade, came to post exactly that in response
>>
>>4827088
>black buck
Breakerbros… we have a job to do…
>>
>>4826563
They're cute
>>
>>4826563
Bats are cool. Super soft fur, too.
>>
>>4826563
They should go extinct along with the birds so that another clade with a more creative approach to flight could take their niches.
>>
File: 15880.jpg (56 KB, 920x529)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>4829386
This. Frogs that swim through the air shall rule the skies
>>
bats are cute
>>
>>4829386
Such as? There’s not a lot of ways to develop flight. The most ‘creative’ and probably feasible I can think of is something with huge sacs of air that propels it propels itself with
>>
>>4826866
In addition to all the other replies, there are also some wacky bleeding edge planes out there that weight too much to get off the ground with a full tank, so they take off with just enough fuel to do so and then get filled to full in the air. I think the Blackbird was a plane that had to do this.

Not a /k/omando though so that's only passing knowledge of the concept.
>>
>>4829390
Such a unique way to glide.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.