[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1699874779023959.jpg (287 KB, 2048x1536)
287 KB
287 KB JPG
Recently my older cat died of cancer and I'm worried about my younger cat since she's basically spent her entire time with him around. She's been acting kind of different recently so I'm worried she might be lonely.
I don't really want a new cat but I'd consider it if it would be beneficial for her.
(pic isn't my cat it's just a picture i had on my computer)
>>
>>4829584
No one can say. You just have to wait a while and see. Cats don’t have extensive memories but they can change their demeanor permanently through this stuff
>>
>>4829584
What's the breed?
>>
>>4830854
idk she's black & white and small
>>
i've had many pets in my life that grew up with an older pet and when the older pet died it dramatically affected them. permanently.
it's better to get another pet than deal with the surviving pets trauma, because it's usually aggressive attention grabbing behavior that will drive you insane.
i'd go with a young dog that is of a breed that's good independtly so when the cat eventually dies it won't force you to restart the cycle.
>>
>>4829584
You should have used the /kot/ gen thread ...

Anyway, yes, your surviving cat can benefit greatly from having a new cat. You need to be careful about how to introduce them, and your survivor will need extra attention at first so she doesn't feel like you're abandoning or replacing her. Females are highly territorial and generally don't like new cats, but since she's already socialized on another cat she will probably adapt.

Try to get a male cat, less of a territory problem than a female. You can try to find a cuddle bug at an adoption place (most PetSmart stores have a feline rescue adoption center). He should be about her age, but sometimes you get better luck with a young cat, like 15 or 18 weeks because a kitten presents less territorial threat and may kick in some mommy instincts.

Get in contact with a credible feline adoption organization and describe your situation. They'll have lots of experience and can advise you on how to match up your cat & her personality with a companion. Some may even let you bring your cat to an adoption center where she can meet a dozen or more cats and you can help her find a new friend.

Yes, for her mental health for the many, many years ahead, it would be cruel not to try. Cats are far more social than urban legend would let you believe. If/when you get to this stage, post in the /kot/gen thread for advice & tips on acclimating two strange cats to each other. These vanity threads get lost in the noise.
>>
>>4829584
BTW, webmrel is NOT the right way to do it. There are several preliminary steps before opening a box and letting a kitten pop out for first contact. You definitely want them to have several hours or even a day or two to get used to each others' scent before getting them face-to-face. Surprise meetings usually end traumatically.
>>
>>4832244
>Cats are far more social than urban legend would let you believe.
Trvth
>>4832253
At least we got that absolutely hilarious reaction out of it
>>
>>4829682
They most certainly do have extensive memories. I had a cat make it to 20 years. She developed dementia and cataracts. She reacted the same way as human patients with dementia do, looking for things from her younger days forgetting about the present. Her litter box used to be kept in a long closet, then we moved and it was in a special room instead. When her dementia set in she started to walk into a closet like the one in the house of her younger days when she needed to use the litter box, then cry for help when she couldn't find it. She had forgotten the box she used in the special room for many years and could only remember about the closet from her youth.

Someone who used to feed her daily visited after a few years absence. Her dementia had caused her usual fear of people to be replaced by a kitten like love for all, but the reaction to this person was completely bizarre. She went completely silent and kept climbing up to his face, trying to see through the cataracts who he was. She had never climbed anyone in her life and was crippled with arthritis but was determined to see his face. All other people were only met with meows rubbing and purrs.
>>
>>4834131
Well that’s pretty amazing, but it does kind of sound like an exception rather than the rule. Then again, I’m not an expert, I’m only going off what little I’ve read on the matter, which is that they only a memory span of something like 1-2 months, though I suppose if they’ve been around someone or done something long enough they’d be able to recognize or remember them through a kind of ‘muscle memory’ if you could call it that, but it is comforting that it’s possible at all
>>
>>4829682
an extensive memory is literally the only decent cognitive skill a cat has

dogs think, cats remember

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.