[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

New Beginnings Edition

previous: >>4853541 (lost in the great purge)

This thread is dedicated to all animals of the reptilia and amphibia classes. Topics include, but are not limited to: geckos, snakes of all kinds, frogs, salamanders, newts, turtles, tortoises, and much more. Before asking a question, do a search on the internet to see if it has been answered
Classifieds for finding breeders and products:
>morphmarket.com
>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>caudata.org
Most forums will have a "for sale" section on them, so look for that, especially if you have a specific herp you want. Craigslist can also be a good source for cheap aquariums, and make sure to check for any reptile expos that occur in your area.

When asking a question, make sure to include these details:
>Type and size of animal
>Enclosure dimensions
>Humidity and temperature
>Type of substrate
>The decor you use
>How often you feed
>The type of food you use
>If your animal is wild caught or captive bred
>How often you handle
>Who you bought the animal from

Other Helpful Resources
www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com
www.joshsfrogs.com
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com
http://www.anapsid.org
http://www.hylid.clara.co.uk/caer.htm
https://www.americanmadeexotics.com/breeding-ball-pythons-article.html
http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatreptileblog/
>>
First XDDD
>>
File: tankleo.jpg (100 KB, 720x720)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
yeah
>>
File: 1672289379077737.jpg (65 KB, 720x960)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>4865776
>>
File: 1635637087504.webm (2.04 MB, 640x640)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB WEBM
>>
Its so cute that every single time I pull my darkling bowl out for a mold check theres 2 having sex
>>
I'm interested in getting some African dwarf frogs. What do I need and what do I need to know
>>
I know /herp/ hates morphfags but what's your favorite type of crestie? I'm trying to decide who to get next. I don't breed and I only have a couple geckos so I don't give a fuck about genetics or rarity I just want a cool little guy.
>>
Hold on, what happened to the last thread? Why delet?
>>4866002
If you want my honest opinion, just the natural yellow/orange fellas are my favorite, but ones that exaggerate red and orange pigments are cool too.
>>
File: 1697152133002173.png (321 KB, 661x624)
321 KB
321 KB PNG
>>4866097
mods did a little fucky wucky and wiped the entire catalogs of 19 boards
>>
>>4865823
What is wrong with salamanders
>>
>>4865724
I love turtles
>>
File: PXL_20240826_114455298.jpg (3.31 MB, 3024x4032)
3.31 MB
3.31 MB JPG
I saw this baby snapping turtle(?) right next to my car, only 6 inches away from a tire. He could fit in the palm of my hand so I put him down by a nearby brook.
I'd never seen a baby turtle before today
>>
>>4866231
Baby snappers are the best. Unfortunately the raccoons dug up all the eggs in the nest I was watching.
>>
>>4866332
It's funny because I don't know where the nest could've been, I live in an NJ suburb by 2 busy roads and the only patch of woods in the area is behind the complex's backyard. It was going in the direction of the stream so I'm guessing it wasn't born around there
>>
Where are you supposed to find vines or anything resembling them? Terrarium/pet channels have infinite access to perfect terrarium plants and I'm too retarded to google anywhere that sells them
>>
>>4866461
Pothos is the usual go to, insanely common, next to impossible to kill, epiphetic but grows just as well in soil, grows fairly quickly, can be propegated easily from just one cutting, comes in a lot of varieties and colors.
>>
>>4866468
not as jungly as I'd have liked but they'll work well enough, not like he knows the difference either way.
I saw my little dude is light enough to climb on the dead overextended ends of a bromeliad without breaking them so I wanna deck out his tank with climbing ropes, he'll probably appreciate having leaves somewhere where he actually hangs out too
>>
File: 1543784913644.jpg (65 KB, 770x702)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>4866471
>"not as jungly as I'd have liked"
>literally a jungle rainforest plant
b-but they look so normal and regular!
>>
Are captive bred reptiles domesticated?
>>
>>4866491
>domesticated
If by domesticated you mean 'tame', no. They may be a bit more docile or less jumpy, but that is the result of acclimatation to be handled more than captive breeding itself. And only some species will exhibit that to any meaningful extent. A captive breed snapping turtle is going to take your fingers off just as quickly as a wild one.
>>
>>4866491
how do you define "domesticated?" most definitons I can see have "tame" as a synonym (or even part of the definition itself), but I know quite a few people dont consider them the same thing.
Regardless, though, I would have to assume the most accurate answer would be "it depends on the reptile." if you swapped a captive bred nice crocodile baby out with a wild one, would you notice a difference in behavior? probably not. leopard gecko, though? that may be a different story, but then again maybe not, since leopard geckos aren't especially sophisticated animals in the first place, so there's probably not a whole lot of natural-born instincts that would end up getting selected out in the captive breeding process.
>>
>>4866539
that should be "nile crocodile" by the way. I'm sure some crocs are lovely but I dont think swapping out a particularly nice one would make for a proper experiment.
>>
Will herps starve themselves rather than eat food they don't like? I'm scared I'm raising a bunch of feeders my gecko just won't touch because they're not as fast as crickets.
>>
baby box turtle
>>
>>4866845
cute
>>
>>4866611
>Will herps starve themselves rather than eat food they don't like?
No but the dispute over this can last a while. What kind of gecko and what kind of insects?
>>
>>4866936
Gold Dust, raising mealworms and dubias, she's ignored everything that isn't crickets or fruit flies, and she really wants crickets so I can tell she's hungry if she's going for flies.
You're probably going to say I've answered my own question and it'll be fine but the ones she didn't want were around her regular feeding days, she just tanked it and waited for her crickets half a week later.
>>
>>4867079
>half a week
Yeah herps are gonna outwait that. You need to be willing to go multiple weeks before they'll give in and try something out of desperation. Or just give them what they want.
>>
>>4867120
I just get nervous 'cause she's so small, if she were like a leo with a tail wider than its body I'd battle of determination it, but tiny days are like the hummingbirds of lizards and she doesn't really put on much weight
>>
File: Mystery Critter.webm (3.94 MB, 1080x1920)
3.94 MB
3.94 MB WEBM
>>4865724
There's tons of these in the container I keep beetles in. What are they?
>>
https://youtu.be/xxsUQtfQ5Ew?si=nPN-Bm_3wDuf_C8C
>>
Do I actually have to wait to even glance in my new crestie's direction like everyone online says or should I just give it a day or two to settle and judge its temperament from there for handling or trying to hand/tong feed? Little guy is my first herp but I'm calm and quiet and slightly autistic plus I filled the tank with hidey holes so I feel like the only way I'd properly spook it is by just existing too close before it's ready, but I don't want to cause any stress
>>
>>4868027
Crested geckos are all retarded and pretty much tame out of the egg so it really won't matter, but yes, in general the best thing you can do after bringing a reptile home is to literally not even acknowledge its existence. Dont look at it when it moves, don't turn around when it makes noise, don't make eye contact, completely ignore it.
But again its a cresty so just dont abuse it and it will be fine. They dont really think.
>>
>>4868028
Yeah I'm not worried about killing it or giving it ptsd or something, I just want to make it happy and was curious how long of a recharge time they need after being because weeks feels like overkill depending on the animal. I'm a seasoned catfag and they can take days to weeks to adjust too and in my experience it's a case-to-case thing but I haven't made lizard friends before so I wanted to make sure
>>
>>4865776
based
>>
I wonder how tree animals determine what's "high up", would they be uncomfortable if there's too consistently thick foliage up to their level because they feel like they're close to the ground? But that wouldn't make sense because they also want to be concealed behind plant cover or in a hide when they're high up
>>
>>4868167
Judging by behavior of tree herps and squirrels I don't think they have much of a concept of degrees of height. It's more like on-tree or on-ground. Most of these will readily climb as high as they can for no specific reason.
>>
>>4868172
again we return to my thinking a horizontal tank would be perfectly fine for if not better than a vertical one for arboreals then
>>
>>4866110
he was born in china and is technically edible
>>
>>4868167
Most small arboreal animals are light enough that they have a safe terminal velocity. Falling from higher just gives them more time to correctly orient themselves for the landing.
>>
>>4868195
I will never stop being astonished by how light small arboreals are, a little gecko can just climb fucking anything
>>
Is there any way to reduce the SNAP of an exo terra lock? It seriously spooks my guy
>>
>>4867945
Good song
>>
>>4868629
Not that I have been able to figure out. They do wear over time and eventually get less clicky but that won't be for a while.
>>
>>4865724

I have a Dumerils boa and I noticed these small mites on her. They are not the typical parasitical mites that are dark colored and pop when squeezed or leave bumps under the snakes skin. These are smaller, Much lighter colored and I noticed they move around a lot more. Should I be worried about them?Snake seems totally fine.
>>
>>4868677
Please tell me less clicky includes less of the entire terrarium shaking
>>
>>4867219
Can't really see the detail too well. You probably need a macro lens or a magnifying glass to truly identify it. Based on its movements I could imagine it being a rove beetle or a tiny carabid beetle larvae. Maybe even one of the smaller families of silverfish such as Nicoletiidae.
This list covers all the other weird things it could be. Soil thrip?
https://www.sare.org/publications/farming-with-soil-life/mesofauna-arthropods/
>>
>>4865724
i love this animal the skank
>>
>>4866468
My pothos fucking died like the same day I got it.
It had water 2 inches of substrate and light yet it just keeled over.
>>
>>4868689
If they aren’t bothering her, they are probably soil mites and she’ll be fine. Get some springtails and isopods in her viv and they’ll outcompete the soil mites in the substrate, or at least compete with them enough to keep the population down.
>>
There are multiple leopard gecko groups on FB filled with overweight 30-45 year old women who get their daily dopamine from disparaging regular leo owners for having less than 40 gallons for their gecko or not having the exactly correct uvb, basking light, substrate and feeders as dictated by a poorly made and informed infographic that gets shared around as gospel. They will religiously regurgitate the same few memorized information points without any semblance of source or justification other than these being the 'up to date husbandry practices'. They use the term 'outdated' for any practice that even slightly deviates from the ones presented in their infographics. They will regurgitate specific learned terms and phrases in such an obviously mindless way that the shill bots on /pol/ seem intelligent in comparison. Presenting any evidence that counters their drivel will only be met by more mindless regurgitation until inevitably b& by the admin who also happens to be an overweight 30-45 year old woman. I suspect these simple automations endowed with generous amounts of pasty misshapen flesh are heavily influenced by a specific youtube channel called 'Leopard gecko' owned by a 30-45 year old overweight british woman who perfectly represents all of the above.

I realize I typed all this like a butthurt faggot, but anyone who has come across this phenomenon would appreciate how strange it is.
>>
What is the best beardie sized lizard that's not a beardie?
>>
>>4868861
Arent chuckwalla and uromastyx basically just alternate skins for bearded dragon
>>
>>4868859
>30 year old women
>get their daily dopamine from disparaging regular leo owners for having less than 40 gallons for their gecko or not having the exactly correct uvb, basking light, substrate and feeders
Sounds inconceivably based
>>
Do tongs still establish that I'm the one that brings you food, just only when I have these?
>>
>>4868924
yes. they understand the whole process of you appearing, the tank being opened, food being offered etc is related to your presence.
>>
>>4868861
Painted agama.
>>
Any ideas for simple but effective tortoise enrichment? I have a Russian tortoise that needs some extra love. I already take him outside and give him places to burrow and climb in his indoor enclosure.
>>
>>4869339
tortoises are little agents of destruction - give him barriers to bulldoze, colorful flowers to eat (they sell dried "food toppers" for reptiles but you could also find food-grade flowers for sale without issue), a mat of sprouts to graze on, that kind of stuff
>>
>>4869339
they like nudging balls around
>>
>>4869339
perhaps a skateboard to let him zoom around at higher speed than normal?
>>
>>4869373
>>
>>4869374
It's insane how good turtles' coordination are on skateboards. It's like they were supposed to be on wheels.
>>
Been trying to offer food but I can't believe I was too retarded to remember I'm supposed to let them come to me instead of moving in close to them
>>
how shitty are the free geckos from that pangea starter kit thing, I'm grabbing another tank for one of my growing babies but wondered if I should get a gecko too for shits and giggles since it's pretty cheap
>>
>>4868859
You sound like a rackfag.
>>
>Darklings won't touch cucumbers or carrots
really didn't expect things that can eat plastic as children to be picky
>>
Do you think herps register things happening on screens? Would the flsahing and movement of things stress them out and/or be like peoplewatching for them?
>>
File: 1553622869061.webm (964 KB, 720x480)
964 KB
964 KB WEBM
>>4869833
>>
>>4869862
Never trust an amphibian
>>
>African bullfrogs can live up to 40 years old
Holy shit
>>
>>4869963
I wish they stayed cute
>>
>>4869964
wdym they're cute af
>>
Any other absurdly long-lived herps that aren't turtles, balls or leos?
>>
>>4869967
Many snakes can do 30+. Crocs and friends can usually do 70+
>>
>>4869981
thanks anon i'll get started on my crocodile tank
>>
>>4869965
In a pug sorta way, yea.
>>
File: 157436.png (1.12 MB, 1200x800)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
Why does no one care about salamanders
Its always reptiles or frogs with an occasional axolotl, which is a fish
not even in this thread but across the whole hobby
I demand justice, representation, care guides, paludariums, but mostly justice
>>
File: 1000015828.jpg (106 KB, 736x736)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>4870024
Good luck anon I believe at you
>>
>>4870031
Paludariums are roughly 2x the difficulty of bioactive terrariums or aquariums. A lot of salamanders and newts will also go from a terrestrial to aquatic or vice versa over their lifespan, which makes it more complex as well.

Also axolotls are amphibians not fish.
>>
>>4870035
>Paludariums are roughly 2x the difficulty of bioactive terrariums or aquariums
Doesn't stop frogfags
>>
Any reptile I can keep outdoors year round in southern ontario? I'm thinking about an eastern box turtle
>>
>>4870037
frogs don't need cooling during summer. heating tanks is easy, cooling them a pain in the ass
>>
>>4870040
Doesn't stop chameleofriends
>>
>>4870041
>>4870037
It kinda does, to both? Most chameleons live a small fraction of their lifespan due to shitty care. Most frogs either are kept over water they never really enter - thus negating the need for all but the simplest aquarium-style maintenance - or with a regularly cleaned small water bowl. Chameleons need room temperature cooling, not "lower two dozen gallons to the high 40s" cooling. An effective aquarium chiller runs a few hundred dollars for the equipment and uses hundreds of watts, which quickly gets very pricey. They're usually loud as shit, too.

Not really sure your point, either way. People do make paludariums, they're just less common and less newbie friendly, resulting in less demand and supply for "care sheet for dummies" type literature, which is usually aimed at brand new hobbyists or produced by relative newbies for pants-on-head simple herps they managed to not kill.
>>
>>4870038
Local turtles and snakes, but make sure they can bury themselves deep enough to not freeze. And don't expect to see them from mid September to mid April, plus or minus.
>>
>>4870065
How deep should it be? 2 feet?
>>
File: 1000015832.jpg (267 KB, 1080x512)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
>>4870090
Deeper than the frost line. Which in southern Ontario means 4-5 feet. They have to not freeze, and even whatever you do to insulate will eventually normalize to the ground around it, it may just take a couple extra days.
>>
>>4870031
chytridiomycosis carpet bombed the salamander trade, both from local populations getting wrekt, and quite a few of the foreign species being listed as injurious wildlife so as to try to prevent mass infections of local species.
>ecfr.gov/current/title-50/chapter-I/subchapter-B/part-16/subpart-B/section-16.14
>>
>>4870134
nyo...
>>
How easy is it to fuck up going bioactive for a gecko? I'm an amateur
>>
>>4869967
Move to the south and take the Cyclura pill
>>
>>4870092
how da fuq a turtle dig 5 feet down man
>>
>>4870237
I don't really know how it being a gecko changes anything? I have a bioactive setup for my day gecko and it seems to be going alright. The only issue I can think you might run into is not having enough plants rooted in the soil due to trying to furnish the walls with epiphetic plants, but thats easily alleviated by just... not doing that.
Just do your standard bioactive precautions (avoiding toxic plants, making sure you rinse off the roots and leaves to clear off pesticides or parasites, etc) and you should be gucci
>>
>>4870303
Slowly
>>
>>4870334
Bro's never seen a turtle dig
>>
>put new stick in enclosure
>immediately gets added to his perch rotation
So this is what happy parents feel like
>>
What reptile would you recommend for a neet retard?
>>
>>4870340
A frog, of course
>>
Thoughts on keeping animals with their feeders?
Like if I set up a dubia colony in a nice big tank and got them breeding, so a decently sized tropical reptile would be able to hunt for food whenever it wanted like it could outside
I imagine calcium might be an issue if you're not doing your own human feeding sessions
>>
Kind of surreal seeing an excited lizard just run and jump and touch stuff 'cause you'd think they wouldn't really process having fun as an efficient use of energy.
>>
File: crocwaterslide.webm (1.61 MB, 480x850)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB WEBM
>>4870422
You'd be amazed what animals have been observed engaging in play.
>>
>>4870589
Yeah but everyone knows crocodiles are intelligent
I hope more of them start wearing hats
>>
>>4870589
Erm actually this is just the crocodile taking the most efficient path to the water, letting itself be propelled without having to expend its own energy.
>>
>>4870595
Explain why it crawled up the dirt path to do it again a few minutes later, no-fun-kun
>>
>>4870601
Proof?
>>
File: mostpowerfulsource.jpg (84 KB, 680x847)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>4870624
>>
File: IMG_3718.jpg (2.07 MB, 4032x3024)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB JPG
Based on my calculations, Vespucci turned 5 this week.
>>
>>4870977
frog
>>
>>4870340
If by neet retard you mean you're poor and can't take care of it then just get a geck or a fish, but if you just mean socially retarded then snek
>>
Geckos are noble creatures they are NOT for poor retards!
>>
in the wild do snakes have a permanent home that they return back to, like a hole or a rock
or do they just roam around and day by day look for new places to rest
>>
My local herp store has a buy 3 42×20×12 get them for $75 each.
I'm debating if it's worth it or not.
Realistically not much can go into them other then ball pythons and similar sized snakes right?
>>
>>4871080
You can sell them for way more than 75 if they look nice
>>
>>4871090
That's not what I asked
>>
>>4871091
And?
>>
>>4871059
Depends on species, individual, gender, and time of year
>>
Sizeniggers really out here looming at tanks and thinking "aw man I could only barely stuff a [medium sized animal] into this" instead of "aw man I could make a paradise for a [small to tiny sized animal] with this"
>>
Today I learned dubias will fight each other over food even if there's a perfectly good piece just a few seconds away
>>
swear my day gecko has become crepuscular, he always comes out at the very end of the night around when I'm going to turn the lights off after being out in the morning and taking a big sleep through the afternoon
>>
File: shoe toad.jpg (195 KB, 1079x1978)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>
>>4865724
I have a sulcata tortoise. Have had him for 15 plus years, he was full grown when I got him, so no idea how old he is. I feel like he hates me and is bored in his enclosure. Do any other reptile owners get that vibe from their pets? He currently has a couple hiding spots and plenty of substrate for burrowing. The only think he likes to do is eat, that’s about it. Any ideas for stuff he might like? He’s incel too btw.
>>
>>4871669
shoe toad
>>
>>4871728
>>4869339
>>
>>4871101
>rackfag detected
>>
>>4869355
I’ve heard this before but I’ve learned that they actually perceive the ball as a threat in their enclosure and the behavior of pushing it around is a stress response, they’re basically trying to battle it or get it out of their territory. People have differing opinions on this, but in my experience as an owner tortoises are solitary creatures that are motivated solely by food and comfort.
>>
>>4872027
Nigger people say a lizard closing its eyes when you pet it is a "stress response" and that it means its so terrified its giving up and accepting death

Let the turtle nudge the ball
>>
>>4872027
Fighting the ball gives the tort purpose, and exercise. Seems like a good thing. And eventually it'll figure out it's not a threat, so if it keeps pushing the ball around after a week or two, you can assume it's not stress.

FWIW most zoos I've been to with Sulcata (and I've been to a couple dozen zoos with 'em) have one or two big ol' rubber balls in with the torts. I trust US zoos with decades on tortoises when it comes to husbandry. Worst case, it can't be causing any identifiable harm.
>>
>>4872027
This would only be correct if the ball was black
>>
>>4872130
>>4872027
compromise, give him a ball made of woven sticks or something, than way he can destroy it if he wants.
also christ on a cock I am tired of hering "stress" like it was powdered asbestos. a new enclosure is stress. having to go get your food instead of having it dropped into your mouth is stress. LIFE is stress, and most "natural behaviors" are stress responses of some kind or another. Maybe the ball IS seen as an invader, but imagine the dopamine hit the tortoise would receive from defeating that invader.
>>
>>4872138
>>4872158
They desire combat, they are natural warriors.
>>
>>4872167
this but unironically
>>
my fucking BP finally eaten frozen mice
I did it
>>
File: 20240824_085127.jpg (1.58 MB, 4080x3060)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB JPG
so the other day I see a big fuckin' black moth in my sand aquarium. It too big to have gotten in from outside so wtf? at the time I forgot about the one time I had given my skinks hornworms and apparently one of 'em managed to grow up. so I get on the inerwebs to see what to do. glance over at sand aquarium and see picrel. oh nevermind.
>>
>>4872316
I think moths should be more commonly fed feeders, arboreal herps LOVE them. Too bad their usually mostly fat.
>>
>>4872393
Be the change you want to see if you wanna deal with raising and transporting flying feeders
>>
File: 1725263880629671.webm (629 KB, 1122x720)
629 KB
629 KB WEBM
frog
>>
>>4872449
why are they like this
>>
File: 1711014136315473.webm (2.03 MB, 480x848)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB WEBM
>>4872485
>>
>>4872490
that doesn't answer the question
>>
File: piefrogi.webm (3.04 MB, 1080x1920)
3.04 MB
3.04 MB WEBM
>>4872499
>>4872485
>>
File: FRTgH8LX0AMvYh7.jpg (393 KB, 1536x2048)
393 KB
393 KB JPG
>>4872499
They're gods perfect creation
>>
File: have sex.png (199 KB, 590x288)
199 KB
199 KB PNG
dumping an entire orange and a bunch of cat food into the roach bin
>>
>Getting warmer
>Hot spot is getting too hot
>Raise lamp very slightly
>Hot spot gets too cold
>>
File: IMG_20240907_212350_056.jpg (134 KB, 1080x810)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>You can get a giant salamander at Walmart in China
Fucking unfair
>>
>>4865823
Love those fellas
>>
>>4872506
Isn't that way too many carbs for a frog?
>>
>just found out that picrel I've been feeding my gecko has expired months ago
How bad is it?
>>
>>4873724
expiration dates are the "this product is at it's best freshness" date rather than "this is a bomb that will explode after a period of time" date. At the absolute worst some of the vitamins have denatured a bit and have slightly lost their effectiveness, otherwise there's probably zero change, especially for the minerals since they decay at geological time scales.
>>
Is it bad that I never interact with my gecko beyond giving it food and cleaning its enclosure? I'm 99% sure I'm worrying for nothing but I'm used to mammal pets that suffer without human attention and also I see everyone online picking up and playing with their geckos which makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong.
>>
>>4873771
Herps usually suffer from human attention, and at best get literally nothing from the interaction except a bit of body heat. Your gecko would prefer you leave it alone.
>>
>>4873771
Geck doesn't care, the most it gets out of getting played with is entertainment and maybe a little exercise. I like to imagine that mine enjoy my company but I know they don't really care lmao. You should make sure it's used to being handled sometimes though so it doesn't chimp out if it has a health issue and you need to poke around a little
>>
>>4873771
There's a parabola. If your lizard doesn't come up to you out of curiosity and basically initiate contact itself, it doesn't care and would prefer it if you just didn't exist. You can tame/train it to want to come out and experience the world outside of its tank, but you're going to stress it out before you're at the point where you can offer that enrichment. People will pretend lizards get nothing out of handling because we're supposed to be science brained and not anthropomorphize but it's the same concept as offering a big enclosure and things to do, it's all exploration and enrichment, which we know they "enjoy" in whatever way they can and benefit from.
But again, if your lizard doesn't want to be handled, it doesn't know what it's missing, so as long as its content it'll be content. While enrichment is important, reptiles don't get bored even COMPARABLY close to humans. I'm sure you yourself have seen it just sit in the dark for an entire day because it didn't like the way something moved outside the tank.
And as far as I think personally, as long as it's not screaming for it's life and hurting itself running away, and you take it slow and know what you're doing, the small amounts of stress from taming it down would be "enrichment" in itself. Even if it thinks it's negative, something is at least happening. Suffering is important for brain development, or else nothing would have developed it.

Tldr no it doesn't care, especially if it's a retard species like a crestie
>>
mirin legs
>>
File: 21406249rVp.jpg (392 KB, 800x535)
392 KB
392 KB JPG
>>
File: 21406266Isn.jpg (167 KB, 800x535)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>
>>4873642
that's probabry for food anon
>>
>>4873815
so are lobsters, nothing's stopping you from putting them in a fish tank

>>4873642
Why aren't they drowning?
>>
>>4873817
Because they don't breathe air, they're not newts, they take oxygen directly from the water
>>
geckos are so silly
>>
>>4873872
The fact that they're the most successful branch of the most successful branch of reptiles is fucking wild
>>
Thoughts on Cave Geckos?
>>
>>4873912
they aite

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.