[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: halo.jpg (135 KB, 800x481)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
The disparity in pay between game developers and software engineers in big tech companies is ironic, as game development is often considered more challenging than roles in FAANG companies, yet game developers are paid significantly less than their counterparts in big tech. Despite the challenges and longer hours, game developers are predominantly staffed by US citizens, while big tech engineering positions are filled by foreign workers.
>>
>>58426709
Japan is proof that americucks can't into gamedev
>>
>>58426709
ONLY PROGRAMMERS WHO ACTUALLY CODE THE GAME are the engine+editor guys. The rest are just fucking around with levels, enemy placement and I guess the scriptkiddies pretend they're coding when they make some scripted event before they come to yell at the engine guy that he didn't add enough features in the engine to support certain scripts and features such as fighting on a train without falling off.
>>
File: well.webm (2.83 MB, 480x270)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB WEBM
game development was never the right career to get rich. there was a Microsoft conference like 15 years ago where the speaker laid out how much more money you could owning a subway restaurant. and how you can expand your business exponentially. all with much more free time to enjoy your money. compared to how long it would take your to make your game and how much you could expect.

also, I make engines and tools just for fun
>>
>>58426709
and as a result modern games are about as well optimized and bug free as you'd expect
>>
>>58428684
want to make a game?

I want a singleplayer/co-op sandbox game that simulates wild terrain, certain aspects of animal and plant life, weather, basic hydrology, etc.
The basics of the game would be to set NPCs to various harvesting/manufacturing/trading tasks and maintain an army that you command in real time to defend and expand your territory.
The gameplay would center around strategically distributing your workforce and army to control resources and giving them effective orders/scripts to repel NPC attacks.

Basically what I'm proposing is Mount and Blade with fully fleshed out strategy elements and scripting/AI on an engine that can scale to have thousands of NPCs doing simple tasks simultaneously in the overworld.
Graphics wouldn't matter much - basic 3D representations of terrain, trees, rock features etc. are all that is needed.
The scale of gameplay is the goal.

I have perhaps $50,000 I could pour into this dream along with some skill in coding and understanding of AI techniques.
>>
>>58428739
wish I had the time and skill for this. but trying to finish something simple before Halloween this year
>>
File: pirate queen reina.png (2.39 MB, 1456x1050)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB PNG
>>58426881
Literally this. Haven't bought an American game in years.
>>
All the money goes to gay voice actors and marketers, vidya games require a lot more extra stuff to be profitable.
>>
>>58428696
are you being sarcastic right? there's a reason indie games are faring better than AAA game companies, cuz they fucking care, devs are getting severely underpaid and the you have these fuckers who try to mix this with crypto to try to make more money, cant say whos worse fucking EA or Activision Blizzard
>>
File: 1708479545202682.jpg (31 KB, 559x548)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>58430377
Hey at least the folks at superverse are trying to unite these games under one token, is better for the user if those shitheads stay together.
>>
>>58430378
super devs know what they area doing, and that's the only reason super is a thing and isn't dead.
>>
The video game industry will always have depressed wages because it's filled with people like the caricature in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGar7KC6Wiw

It's the same with all the people in sports that are employees of the teams rather than athletes or coaches. All those people are fans of the team/sport so will accept substandard wages to be around the sport.
>>
>>58426709
Supply and demand. There's no shortage of starry-eyed kids who dreamed of one day writing the games they were playing. They became an abundant supply of cheap game developers willing to put up with frankly terrible working conditions for the sake of making their dreams come true.
Meanwhile, not a single kid has ever dreamed of rewriting the authentication flow of a social media site to implement some new set of bullshit requirements. Anybody taking those jobs is primarily interested in making money. And yes, sure, "advancing their career", which is just a stepping stone to making more money.
>>
>>58430390
this hits very close to home
>>
>>58428907
pic source?
>>
>>58428739
Too ambitious, would require a team of at least 20+ people working full time for at least 5 years to finish.
>>
>>58426709
>developers are paid significantly less than their counterparts in big tech
this is pretty sad (keep playing blocklords)

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.