[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1000002241.webm (2.13 MB, 720x1280)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB WEBM
I am a tech illiterate boomer. I have held REDACTCED Monero coins on a Ledger for a couple years. Never moved or spent any because I'm afraid of getting hacked or scammed.

Anyways, I "believe in this coin" so I figured I may as well learn to mine so that I can support the network. I understand that I will probably lose money short term(or maybe even long term)trying to mine Monero, but I am willing to eat the cost.

My question is, which parts should I order from the internet to build a mining rig? I know a guy who can put computer parts together for me, but he doesn't know shit about XMR or crypto. As I understand, you can either buy a CPU or a GPU. Which one is better?
>>
>>58768385
I can't answer your question and I don't hold monero but I have respect for you. Most boomers are a leech on society but you seem alright. Hope someone helps you out.
>>
>>58768385
it's not worth it believe me, I work in IT and have like 20 old servers and pcs sitting around, I made it a project one weekend to network them all together and run p2pool on all of them, I let it run for 2 months and made around $20 in Monero while probably spending over $100 in power.
>>
>>58768385
Literally just google it, there are sites that rank the efficiency and cost of the hardware.
>>
That kid looks like a killer doll
>>
>>58768411
I don't know what all the fancy numbers mean. Just tell me what to buy.
>>
>>58768385
Mining monero is an unprofitable waste of time. If you really want to support the network that badly, monero is CPU mineable only, so look up which CPUs are best for it. You can use multi socket motherboards if you want to mine with multiple CPUs.
The more profitable route would be to set up a GPU rig and "mine" monero using another coin as a proxy. But this would no directly contribute to the XMR network security like if you were to actually mine the coin.
>>
Mining monero at a loss does not help the network at all. Zero. Possibly negative. This meme is propagated to suppress the price.
>>
>>58768409
tho u still losing for the moment no? like after few years it will pump like every coin and u gonna make a benefit from it
>>
>>58768385
>Anyways, I "believe in this coin" so I figured I may as well learn to mine so that I can support the network.

Why don't you learn how monero works? Why don't you learn wtf you're doing so you'd be capable of using your XMR one day? No no no, you want to "learn" how to lose money by doing something that is related to Monero in some way that you don't really understand. Except you don't even want to learn that, you just want someone to spoon-feed you the exact way to lose money doing something you don't understand. Yes, this makes complete sense, I'm sure this is a venture you are genuinely undertaking. The monero community thanks you for your service sir.
>>
>>58768561
This is completely wrong. Outcompeting *some* for-profit miners by accepting to mine at a loss does no harm to the network since you are replacing those miners.
>>
>>58768907
So explain how someone who "believes in the coin" is helping by pushing away someone else who is maybe less ideologically motivated. Spending money to make mining Monero less attractive to others. Time and money dedicated to almost anything else would be more beneficial for Monero. Doing nothing at all would be preferable.
>>
>>58768962
Same way that someone who found cheap power or invested in efficient hardware is pushing out others who haven't done so. It doesn't matter. One miner joining pushes out the lest efficient miner out.
>>
>>58768989
Yes, it doesn't matter for the hashrate and for network security either way which is exactly why "I mine at a loss to support the network" is a retarded fucking meme.
>>
>>58768385
Horrific genetics. Too bad because I'd nut on the mom's face
>>
>>58768385
What racial horror is this abomination?
>>
>>58769101
Pure European aryan stock
>>
>>58769031
A network where all miners mine at a loss will have a higher hashrate than a network where no miners mine at a loss when the price drops. Additionally miners mining to help the network are often also not the kind of miner that sells immediately to recoup power costs, since they've already accepted the loss. They usually hold or spend on goods they need.
>>
>>58769540
>miners mining to "help the network" are often also not the kind of miner that sells immediately to recoup power costs, since they've already accepted the loss. They usually hold or spend on goods they need.
So they should just buy XMR from the profitable miners then because they will be able to hold and spend more that way.
>>
File: 435345ds.png (88 KB, 268x262)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
>>58768385
is that some kind of face filter on the kid? Does it have a disease? Or is it just an octaroon? Dear God, how horrifying.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.