[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

I know it's 2 months away, but I don't have anything else to look forward to, anybody else in the same boat? I've got a Marriott Marquis room, a couple of friends, and a few cosplays I haven't worn yet. What can I do to have the most fun there?
>>
>>10920428
>What can I do to have the most fun there?
Daydrink so all the lines don't grate on you so much. Ota definitely is not the most fun con there is but if you want to be any bit prolific it's a good spot for pictures and connections if you're willing to make some.
>>
>>10920446
>Ota definitely is not the most fun con there is
Second this, unfortunately. Be glad you're going with friends, OP, cause my crew was really the only thing that made it worthwhile. I had some fun in the hotel lobby, went to a couple parties but as a con, it was bordering on bad. REALLY low energy attendees and it just felt like everybody was aimlessly wandering
>>
File: IMG_9290 (Large).jpg (454 KB, 1080x1440)
454 KB
454 KB JPG
They're already advertising in DC
>>
>>10920465

I noticed this last year, it was like everybody showed up tired, but there were no crowded lines to get in though. There was some energy Sat night but that's it. What are some better energy cons? I assume Dragon Con?
>>
>>10920473
For a "legendary" con it was a real letdown. This year is my first Dragon so I can't speak to that one, and I'm not even too big on the other Atlanta cons but those are miles ahead just by enthusiasm alone. ColossalCon Prime and East are always hype too
>>
>>10920488
The plus side of Ota is that they manage to bring guests with some amount of real clout behind them and are able to cobble together halfway decent programming compared to something like Katsu(programming isn't why you're at Katsu though)
Over the years Ive grown to enjoy the more laid back atmosphere and somewhat engaging programming with real backing behind it as an inverse to Katsu. If it's not something you're into, it's very easy to be disappointed. I definitely was letdown the first time I went where Katsu '19 was my first ever con and then going to Ota just 5ish months after.

Sidenote, last year at Ota I spent about 70 minutes in line to play one set of Dancerush, the year prior I spent the same time to play one set of Chunithm. The lines can get real bad at Ota as of recent years.
>>
>>10920488
>ColossalCon Prime and East are always hype too
Yeah if you can ignore literally everything about the Kalihari beyond the waterpark, I love Colossal too but fuck them resort staff, resort prices, and resort room blocks
>>
>>10920502
This year’s guests are pointless if you don’t like FF.
>>
File: 1702178313618004.jpg (78 KB, 888x999)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
Finally ordered tickets ahead of time, so I am actually planning on having a cosplay together this time around. I've got a few idea in mind, so it is a matter of what will be the most fun (and the most reasonable to make). The most fun at cons for me is just meeting people, so as long as people are hanging around the bar in the evening, I'll consider it a con worth going to. I'm planning on being there Friday and Saturday, but I'm close enough to DC that I'll try to go home instead of getting a hotel room. Although, knowing how things go, I'll probably end up bumming floor space off someone to sleep through the night if it comes to that.
>>10920819
Well, I'll be going so that is one guest that isn't pointless :)
>>10920502
I'll be happy if they have a ton of SDVX machines again, since I can spend hours just playing those. Last year it was especially easy since I only ever had to wait for one or two people to get through their plays before another machine would open up. I can imagine that some of the popular games would have massive lines, though. Project Diva is always one that comes to mind since there are usually only one or two booths + it is a popular game + the songs are usually full length so a single play can be around 10 minutes.
>>
>>10921557
Last year's game room was pretty powerful as a Chunithm player. Like 6 cabs and you could just hover over and see what track number everybody was on. Only ever had to wait 8 minutes max inbetween sets with consecutive plays actually being feasible.
>>
File: 1712911571697.png (29 KB, 749x449)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>10920469
that's a big road
>>
>>10921564
Yeah, it's always a great feeling looking over your shoulder and seeing nobody waiting in line so you can get the easy back to backs. I will definitely spite play chunithm to get in your way this year if you show up though mhm (I do quite like it but I'm just not very good yet)
>>
>>10920473
A lot of people on the staff and volunteer side seemed tired from the get to, too. Wondering how it's going to be this year.
>>
>>10922817

That funny because 2022 was a disaster linecon, people waiting hours in the hot sun to get into the building, but energy seemed to be higher once people were at the con. I wonder if their crowd control that fixed the crowding last year ended up making everybody spread out and lower energy.
>>
>>10922912
In my experience, it feels like since covid hit cons have just been less social than when I first started attending.
>>
I’ve got hope that this year will be good since it’s a milestone. Already sounds like there will be good programming and a lot of people are hyped. Got my Marquis room. I’m ready to drink and people watch.
>>
I don't know the area, any good places to stock up on room snacks and booze nearby?
>>
File: file.png (278 KB, 395x412)
278 KB
278 KB PNG
>>10923147
>Snacks
CVS, Walgreens, not much desu. Your best bet is to hit up Costco, Sam's Club, or some other supermarket after dropping your stuff off at the hotel. Implying you're driving to DC that is.
>Booze
Just filter by liquor stores on whatever map app you use. Hefty chunk of liquor stores all in walking distance.
>Pic
Imma let all you guys in on something rq. Glass Sanpellegrino bottle, go nuts
>>
>>10920819

Trigger and the Trigun stampede studio are gonna be there, that's worth it to me. And they usually announce big guests just a few weeks before the con.
>>
File: 1704360581108147.gif (420 KB, 541x332)
420 KB
420 KB GIF
Any of you guys thinking about going to any of the anison shows that weekend? Some AnisonHijack+Aniparty guys are doing shows at the Black Cat on the 2nd and 3rd while there was another happening at Soundcheck on the 3rd as well. I really like the Black Cat (and I recognize the Hijack guys) so I was leaning towards that Friday show, but wanted to see if anyone else was thinking about going to any of them.
>>
>>10923148

This is the best tip I've heard all year
>>
Do you guys think that Otakon is a top 5 anime con in the US? I'm guessing LA and NYC are 1 & 2 at the very least. Also when can we expect the schedule to release? I'm planning on skipping one of the days but not sure which one.
>>
>>10923372
What metric are you judging on? just size?
>>
>>10923372

Yeah, it's definitely in the running after AX and ANYC. Otakon is in this weird space where it isn't quite an industry con like the big 2, but it's not totally a party con like Colossalcon, and it doesn't get the big cosplay attention like Katsucon. It's kind of stuck in the past for better or worse.
>>
I used to frequent Otakon when it was in Baltimore 2005 - 2016 (whatever year it stopped being there). Some of the best con memories of my life. Now I am ancient by anime con standards (super late 30s). AMA
>>
>>10923506

What was it like just walking around back then? Seems like nowadays people just keep to their own groups, and everyone is just too busy to interact with anyone they don't know.
>>
>>10923569

So, Otakon has always been the "4chan" anime con because moot used to have panels there. It attracted a lot of the ancientfag anons back then. It was like meeting 4chan irl, some very fun times. I met a lot of anons in person and they are all actually very good people as I still keep up with them on social media to this day.

That being said things were more social back in the day, it was less corporate if that makes sense. Back then when you cosplayed, it wasn't for online clout or onlyfans, it was for the love of the series. I don't know if there is too much of that anymore, maybe among the 18-22 year old crowd. I would say people keeping to their own groups didn't really start until 2012 ish.
>>
>>10923506
God those truly were the days. The inner harbor was so alive. Even doing the annual 2+ hour wait outside for prereg feels like a fond memory now. People sleeping in that dark hallway of the convention center. Ice cold water guy.

Vibe just isn’t the same in DC, but it wouldn’t be the same in Baltimore now either. The inner harbor is a ghost town.
>>
I wonder if anything can be done to recapture the feel of those old days? The big problem it feels like is that otakon doesn't have a big hangout area. All the spaces are medium sized and you're expected to keep moving. The Marquis lobby is big, but it's far enough from the con that it doesn't become packed until night.
>>
>>10923569
I went once in 2013 and the guests were good and it seemed alright, wasn't nearly as exciting as such a large con is advertised. But it was fun, a lot of effort goes into cosplays but I was also a retarded sperg, got massively fucked up, somehow wound up at a rave, threw an entire pitcher of vomit onto some guy after me and my buddy took turns puking in it (we pitched it over a fence not knowing someone was on the other side), generally made a mess of the place, then passed out and walked to waffle house.

Now that I'm typing this out I guess it was pretty entertaining.
>>
>>10920428
Tempted to go. I swing by the city on Saturday to meet up with friends in the evening. Is the cosplay good for random hallshots?
>>
>>10923908
Hell, you can just pull up outside the convention center and get pics of people chilling outside. Get a nice panoramic from the sidewalk.
>>
>>10923908

Cosplayers tend to hang out around the Marquis lobby, Carnegie library, and other spots outside the convention center, which is dark and has awful lighting.
>>
>>10924056
Don't forget the Convention Bridge connecting the stairwell and the main hall (video game room)
>>
Got my badge in the mail today, so I guess keep an eye out for those, guys.
>>
>>10924844
Welp, badge activation didn't work so I guess we'll have to circle back to that another time
>>
>>10923571
>Back then when you cosplayed, it wasn't for online clout or onlyfans

Where are people getting the idea that this is why people cosplay now? Did I miss something or is it just terminally online brainrot?

I cosplay just for fun, I only use Facebook, and I don't know any other cosplayers, for reference
>>
I went for the first time last year. It was fun, but nothing like Katsucon where people are a lot more social and high energy. The line to get in on Friday was super long and it felt like forever since there was a heatwave. So I would say brace yourself for that because I was not ready.

Also make sure you get in line early. I missed the masquerade as well as getting into the rave because it was apparently at max capacity. I'm not sure how big the rooms were because, again, it was my first time but I'm use to Katsucon where you can just strut in at anytime. DESU waiting in line for the masquerade was kinda funny though because we were surrounded by angry, drunk cosplayers.

I spent most of my time in the gaming hall. They had much more variety and it was packed unlike Katsu where it's a ghost town. I liked their Artist Alley and Dealer's Hall better too.

It's still a fun con and I'll be going again this year. I agree with everyone saying it's low energy. I plan on pregaming this year lol.
>>
>>10926214
Katsu is garbage when it comes to actual programming. Kind of stupid to compare the two cons when Katsu literally exists for drinking and photo ops and nothing else
>>
Do you know comparing/contrasting consists of?
>>
>>10926291
You're not supposed to think critically. Just grovel, complain, hone your reactions times on how quickly you can be a disagreeable asshat and above all else: It's over. It will be more over tomorrow, but it will neve be overest or else you'll have to stop complaining
>>
>>10924853
>I guess we'll have to circle back to
they've got you. you've worked too much in an office that you think those words mean anything
>>
>>10926642
Anon, it can't be true.... I'm still one of the cool kids... Don't tell me this is how it all ends...
>>
>>10926992
Let's touch base on this at another time, preferably at your earliest convenience. To clear the air on any potential miscommunication and allowing us to move forward in facilitating mutual cooperation. What's your schedule for next week looking like?
>>
>>10927018
My upcoming work schedule is currently up in the air. There has been a project in the works since before the holiday, but I am still waiting to get my shipments certified. I've been trying to get Rene to fast-track the shipment, but you know how she can be with certs. I'm going to talk to her again tomorrow when I get in and she can, hopefully, give me at least a timeline if not get me my certs. If not tomorrow, then I should definitely have a timeline by EoW since I'm going to have to get Chris involved at that point. I hope this doesn't cause too much trouble for you, but unfortunately my hands are tied in this matter.
>>
>>10920505
Yeah DESU Colossalcon is going down the shitter. It's still great for room parties but that's pretty much it now. I can't even say the water park makes it worth it at this point. They shut down the entire outdoor water park at Prime for that "foam party" bullshit during peak hours on Saturday. Don't even get me fucking started on East. Staff (the water park staff in particular) absolutely hates attendees and does everything they can to fuck with them.
The convention itself is the absolute shits.
>>
>>10923148
Is this the method? Anyone have any other tips for getting booze in? I've only done it at katsu where there's 0 security so i'm not sure of the best way
>>
>>10928075
>Is this the method
Worked for me. That pic is from when I attended last year. It's pretty inconspicuous, had like 400ml of vodka in the dealer hall and then did karaoke pissed out my fucking mind.
You can also just have a backpack on you that aint too horrifically overstuffed with liquor to the point that it imprints. Provided you're going through the main entrance(not via the connected Marriott building) and you don't have anything in there that trips the metal detector, you're golden.
The sanpelle bottle is just good for getting a nice quantity in there for the whole day without having to bring a backpack with you cause holy shit walking around cons with a bag kind of fucking blows if you don't have a close-by hotel
>>
For people who care about anime, otakon is way better than katsucon. For people who care about getting black out drunk and socializing, katsucon is way better than otakon.
>>
I'll be going for the first time as a vendor this year, so I'm excited.

>>10923605
Ice-cold-water guy is still as active as ever in BMore. Go to an O's game and you'll hear him for sure.
>>
First time going, what are the lines like at this one? How early should I be lining up?
>>
>>10928075

If you're talking about getting into the con center, you can use any bottle, those Arizona iced tea ones that are tinted work great. Or you can just drink in the Marriott lobby, which also has several bars.
>>
>>10928542

Last year there were basically no lines. In 2022, I waited 2 hours just to get in the door. So who knows if they'll keep the crowd control improvements they made.
>>
File: 1705665887889169.jpg (75 KB, 1048x584)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
What days are everyone planning on going? I've got the full weekend, so I'll be heading up Friday after work, and spending that and Saturday there. I've a friend who might want to grab a hotel room Friday night, but otherwise it is another case of "stay busy all night or drive home. I'm also planning on going to the Anison Hijack shows up at the black cat both nights too.
As well, what are people thinking about for meeting up? I was going to try to pull people out to the music on Friday at least, since there are a handful of good food/drinking places nearby to the venue. I figure Saturday is more a "what happens, happens" sort of night so I don't really want to plan on anything too solid then.
>>10928146
There's no bag check, right? I don't remember there being any last years, but I'm just wondering how brazen I can be this time around.
>>
File: 20240715_202319.jpg (134 KB, 1080x447)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>10928586
Looks like there is bag checks
>>
>>10928588
"They will not be checking for food and drink"
All I needed to see. I'm not gonna be smuggling 12 packs or anything, but it is nice to know that I don't have to even worry about a "water bottle" in my bag.
>>
>>10920428
How bad can I expect the Flow line to be if I don't have a VIP pass? Is there a real risk of not getting in at all?
>>
>>10928721
Nah, actually getting in the building once you've already done reg is perfectly fine.
>>
>>10928467
The con that has 3 video rooms and only shows old shit with no debuts that aren't new dub releases cares about anime? Not so sure about that one chief. If you want to go sit in poorly executed panels and get turned around in lines because of panel caps then sure, go to Otakon.
>>
>>10928588
The red shirts poke around in your bag for like 2 seconds with a wooden spoon. If you go in through the Marriott they barely even check had no problems going in and out with a ton of camera gear last year.
>>
>>10928533
I'm glad he's still alive after all these years.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.