[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1386.jpg (390 KB, 828x1298)
390 KB
390 KB JPG
I'm making a Spider-Man mask. No real reason, I'm probably just autistic or something. I'm 3d printing a shell to wear under the mask and keep the shape, and the eye lenses attach from outside of the mask via magnets. I'm looking on advice for the mask portion itself.

My original idea was to cut up some red athletic shirts and sew them into a mask. I don't have a sewing machine and was planning to ask my wife's mom if I could use hers but my wife said it broke a while back so I guess I don't have access to a sewing machine and I don't really want to buy one just for my 'tism mask.

How much would I regret something like pic related for the actual mask part? Since I'll be using a shell I won't have to worry about it shaping to my nose/mouth or anything, and the eye holes will be covered by the lenses. Is there anything else I'm forgetting or should consider? I'm probably just going to wear it around the house like when I'm reading comics or gaming but I'd still like it to look nice in case I decide to wear it for Halloween or something.

For the black webbing pattern I'm gonna use 3d fabric paint.
>>
>>10933685
I got one of these for a costume of my own that I never finished: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09K3Q1XHZ
I don't know if it works as well in red, but in black you can see through it like heavily tinted sunglasses. You could put your Spider-Man lenses on that and cut holes where you need them in the mask.

I never got around to it, but for my mask (not spider-man) was going to get or make a mannequin head from a mold of my own head, fill-in most of the concavities and put the spandex mask over it to get the shape I want, then spray some aerosol glue on the face to get it to stiffen to the point it retains that shape without turning rock-hard, and the back/neck should still be elastic enough to slip on/off. I saw that some custom Spider-Man masks had lenses that are fine back meshes with the outside given a thin coat of white paint. But of course, I wanted to do that directly on the spandex hood, but both of those run into the problem of gumming-up the gaps in the fabric with glue and paint, so the plan was to give the dummy head fine holes, so that I could blow air in through the neck hole and out the face, but eventually I'd just be putting so much more effort into the dummy head than the mask that it didn't feel like it was worth the effort.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.