[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1713290229510.jpg (56 KB, 592x592)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
I live in a 120sqft studio apartment thing. There is no kitchen. There is an attached bathroom with a shower and a sink. I want to cook inside from here. What are some equipment I should buy?
>no fridge
>no cooker of any sorts
>no kitchen sink
>>
File: 1713290844319.jpg (53 KB, 736x736)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>20407613
Forgot to add. My budget is about 50 usd. I can stretch it to 100 or even 200 but I need to take more shifts and it might take a month or two
>>
Slow board.....
>>
>>20407631
For cooking they make counter top stoves you can plug in.
Get a mini fridge or freezer to store and chill shit
Get some small tubs for holding and storing food
Learn to love pasta as a lot of recipes are easy and you can store the noodles no problem
>>
File: 1713291281910.jpg (33 KB, 400x472)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>20407644
Something like this (<<<<) I can get for around 7-8usd. Would it be OK? I would need to get a gas canister and buy a hose for it.
>>
Look into crime.
>>
>>20407655
Those are for outdoor use. The waste gases are more concentrated than those of a gas stove. You can avoid poisoning your air indoors by having the windows open and a fan running, but it's smarter not to risk it at all.
>>
>>20407672
That is illegal where I live
>>
>>20407685
It says indoor cooker though
>>
>>20407691
Yeah and flushable wipes say "flushable" on them, that doesn't mean that it's a good idea to do it.
>>
>>20407696
What I'm saying is that there are two variants. One is for camping and one is for indoors
>>
go to goodwill/craigslist/whatever and get an electric hot plate and toaster oven. save up for a dorm fridge.
>>
>>20407655
keep it simple and get electric. you don't need to get gas and you're less likely to burn down/get kicked out of your apartment and/or asphyxiate and die
>>
Get a small cube fridge and a cook top. You can get fridges for cheap / free near universities at the end of the school year if you hunt around. Also check out nextdoor and freecycle for free stuff in your neighborhood.
>>
>>20407711
>>20407703
I'm choosing gas for 2 main reasons
>1. Mom taught me to cook using it and I have never used electric before
>2. Gas is cheaper in the long run
>>
>>20407655
I would caution against going too cheap as appliances that cheap tend to break fast and be more expensive in the long run. Idk how you handle your utilities but it might be cheaper to get something electric rather than gas.
For cookware either talk to people you know for hand me downs or look into nearby garage sales and thrift stores
>>
I have a big George Foreman grill you can have
>>
>>20407717
you do you, friend, but i wouldn't chance it. your landlord is likely to be very displeased. unless you live outside the developed world, this is unlikely to be up to building code. check your lease to make sure it's not explicitly forbidden. your lease might even forbid electric cooktops and toaster ovens.
>>
>>20407702
What I'm saying is that the first guy's right irrespective of the product's marketing. Sure those things see indoor use but also like the first guy said you need to have ventilation planned out and it's better to avoid that unless absolutely necessary. Do you not have a patio or anything?
>>
>>20407716
I have germophobia so I don't want to buy a used refrigerator. I have a farmer's market thing nearby. They are on every Monday, Friday and Saturday. I can get veggies from there and leave them out in a basket. For meat I'm thinking about buying a cooler and packing them with supermarket ice. I will buy a brand new fridge later. It costs around 200usd for a small one.
>>
>>20407702
Is it in your budget? The only cheap burners I've seen are butane fuelled. Not a good indoor fuel.
>>
>>20407726
>germophobia
>as such I will leave everything in room temp where germs thrive the most
You good?
>>
>>20407717
Electric's pretty simple, it just takes longer to heat up
>>
>>20407686
Crime is only illegal if you get caught.
>>
>>20407726
That sounds a bit impractical for meat. It might be better to just cook vegetarian, I find some varieties of mushroom make for an ok-ish substitute for meat
>>
File: wink.gif (3.88 MB, 480x255)
3.88 MB
3.88 MB GIF
>>20407726
seems reasonable. a good cooler can work really well, but they can get pricey. as for germophobia, cleaning the inside of a used fridge with disinfectant/bleach spray wouldn't be sufficient. i know a phobia is a phobia but, like, bacteria are literally ubiquitous, living on every surface around, on, and in our bodies, which includes the inside of a new fridge. plus, you're not licking the inside of the fridge in any case. are you?
>>
File: mind match.png (1.1 MB, 1028x770)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB PNG
>>20407736
i never did get that law degree but this sounds fishy to me
>>
>>20407740
you could always stick to prepackaged sausages if you don't have a fridge and want some meat. those are easy to keep and far less temperamental than actual fresh meat.
>>
>>20407719
There's very little that can go wrong with a gas cooker. They don't have a lot of parts. Lol my mother and I repaired her gas cooker from the late 70s. It's her mom's

>>20407724
My lease doesn't say anything about using gas cookers. Some of the larger apartments have built in gas cookers on them already.

>>20407725
I don't have a patio but I have a window.

>>20407731
Yeah it's within budget. It runs off of liqpet

>>20407732
Yeah. I'm going to therapy so it's much better. I know what's actually bad and what is made up in my mind
>>
>>20407734
There are more problems than that.

>>20407737
I need meat lol

>>20407740
No but fridges make me cringe. I have diagnosed OCD but not in the form of cleaning like you see in TV shows but in the form of "everything is gross if I wasn't the only one using it". I don't know how to explain it. Imagine that thought repeating in your head lol.

>>20407747
I will consider that.
>>
>>20407751
If you know what you're doing then sure go ahead I don't have strong opinions on counter top stoves, I'd just suggest doing your research before you buy your cooking appliance.
Once again I'd highly suggest practicing with pasta, as you can store it in a pantry, many recipes are simple and use one pot, and given the sheer variety of recipes you won't get bored quick. Do you know anyone you get mooch cookware like spatulas, spoons, pots and pans from?
>>
>>20407766
I have a pot
>>
>>20407759
If you absolutely need meat then save for a fridge you are comfortable with. Personally I save some money and have fun by buying whole chickens and butchering them myself rather than buying packs. You can use the bones to make stock too.
>>
You'll be fine with gas.
>>20407773
Also please tell me you got anything else, At least a frying pan.
Another option for meat would be spam or anything like that, they usually are shelf stable
Stirfry's will be your best friend, just put anything in a pan throw in some spices and call it a day
>>
>>20407751
>I don't have a patio but I have a window.
Well then you do you but if I were in a similar situation I'd just get a toaster oven and get fancy with sandwiches. That and/or a small grill to take outside on reasonably nice days. A fridge seems like a pretty high priority just to add some flexibility to what you can make, I'll second the recommendations for SPAM, sausage and pasta.
>>
>>20407631
You cannot afford anything on that budget.
>>
>>20407613
Where on earth could you live where this is the case and is there a vacancy
>>
>>20407613
my humble recommendations:
>buy a fridge
>buy a cooker of any sorts
>buy a "temporary" kitchen sink
>>
>>20407613
personally would get a toaster oven, you can do a lot in there. I bake whole meals in mine. I think it's a little more versatile than a portable hotplate/stove imo. you can use it in place of a microwave, a toaster, or an oven.
and you'll want a mini fridge I guess.
>>
>>20407631
if it takes you over a month to save up $200 then you need to really fix that problem.
>>
>>20407631
learn to weld
>>
>>20409105
you'd be surprised at how many people live paycheque to paycheque man. it's good that he can save anything at all. economic mobility doesn't really exist at the moment.
>>
>>20409111
why the fuck do you people add so many unnecessary letters, you're almost as bad as the french
>>
>>20409111
>paycheque
Maybe in your country.
>>
Stovetop of some sort and a large enough toaster oven are all you NEED. Don't go gas for indoors as others have said.
Besides that you have no fridge as well apparently? You need one.
>>
>>20407613
>There is no kitchen. There is an attached bathroom with a shower and a sink
its not an apartment then
it legally doesnt qualify as one, and your landlord is required to provide it at his own expense.
>>
>>20409850
Probably a jap pod person.
>>
>>20409850
Is this a real law because thats so fucking stupid and explains why people cant afford to live
>>
>>20407613
Get a multipurpose rice cooker. You can cook rice and make soups with them. You can also steam chicken, meat and seafood. They're electric and have no open flame. Fairly clean and don't emit strong smells or grease. Consider getting an air fryer too. For food storage, if you don't have a fridge, just buy small portions of fresh meat/chicken/fish on your way back from home and cook them immediately.
>>
>>20411671
Correction: on your way back from work.
>>
>>20407613
You will cook nothing and you will be happy
>>
>>20407613
Is there no communal kitchen in the building?
>>
>>20407613
I live in a similar situation.
The main issue isn't cooking, it's cleaning. I bet your sink is bathroom sized. Cooking anything more than small cups, plates, and silverware will be a nightmare. I cook almost everything in tinfoil and a convection oven. No mess. I've made full breakfasts with bacon, eggs, and hash browns and just toss the balled up foil.
I bought an electric hot plate, and I used it twice. My cast iron doesn't fit in the sink, so I just stopped using it.
>>
File: nin.jpg (58 KB, 883x1000)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>20407613
I had an earlier version of pic rel back in my days living in the barracks cooked all my meals in the john with it. Used it for 4+ years it never let me down. Its a jack of all trades master of none
>>
George Foreman grill.
>>
>>20407686
how do you think op got into a 10x12 "studio apartment" with a shitter inside?
>>
>>20411851
That’s just life in Japan, man. Weebs are delusional.
>>
>>20409989
even jap pods have a sink and 2 burner hotplate in the hallway to the front door and a shower/bath stuffed in a cupboard.
t.lived in a jap pod for 6 years

OP is prob a cityfag that's paying $1500/week for half of someone's basement
>>
>>20410722
>explains why people cant afford to live
housing crisis is caused by landlords being allowed to do negative gearing and then turning all their places into airbnbs instead of rentals.
something like 27% of homes are empty year-round as well doesnt help, so people are sleeping in their cars on streets that have mostly empty houses.
>>
>>20411671
this is the way.
you only really need a fridge for fresh meat and milk, everything else has some sort of shelf-stable alternative. most veggies can be just left out in a cool dry place for a few days and they're fine.
>>
Seconding the rec for a really, good rice cooker

A really good rice cooker will let you steam meats and veggies at the same time as your rice. It's not glamorous but it's a surefire way to get protein, veggies, and carbs in every meal. Slather it in sauce of some kind or seasoning.
>>
>>20407613
>120sqft studio with no kitchen or even fridge
>apparently expensive enough to knock OPs budget to $50
The American Dream is dead.
>>
>>20407631
I do not care for your question who is the woman
>>
>>20411887
You're Australian. Negative gearing on property is Australian.
>>
>>20411742
When I camp I boil water then wash my dishes in a tub. You could do the same putting the tub on your shower floor so you can dump the water out after.
>>
>>20407726
Wouldn’t the supermarket ice add a couple dollars to your weekly budget? Seems like cooking method is most important but then save up for a fridge.

I also agree that especially if you don’t have any pots or pans yet an electric cooking device may be better initial purchase. You might be able to snag an instant pot like electric pressure cooker which is decent for nearly everything, and may come with some plastic utensils too.

What country are you in OP? I get the feeling you’re not in the USA but if you are then aside from the normal food stamp program be sure to apply for reduced cost utilities and phone service through your providers (your electric company may also offer other free things such as an air conditioner, check their website). Additionally I’ve seen fridge prices come back down in the US, where $100 or less for a mini is possible again.
>>
Perhaps it's time to move to a cheaper city
>>
>>20407613
Along with the portable stove, grab potatoes. They will last w/o refrigeration, and some places, such as your local import/slav market, will have them in for cheap. And pepper. Your gut can stay afloat with potatoes. If need to, eat out of the pan and use a wooden cutting board as a coaster so you don't burn the floor/table.
>>
>>20407613
If i were you i'd look into getting a mini fridge as soon as possible but start with a shitty two burner electric coil cooktop, one pot and one pan, and an electric kettle. From there i'd work to get a decent toaster oven and possibly a slow cooker.
if youre worried about having space for dishes you can third world it and wash your dishes in a bin in your shower.
>>
>>20407613
You will live in the pod
You will cook in your bathroom
You will not have a fridge
>>
do you have space outside? I was in a similar spot but I had a good outside space and I just made an outdoor kitchen with a hotplate, toaster oven, and grill with a laundry sink attached to the hose. the only thing that sucked was that I didn't have a way to drain the water so I just used a giant bucket that I would pour into the lawn when it was full
>>
>>20407613
>>20407631
>>>/adv/
>>
godspeed bathroom chef anon
>>
>>20407613
Literally my dream scenario. I love small spaces
>>
>>20407613
learn from the master
https://youtube.com/shorts/0YhnnZ6MybQ?si=eEXCrykGWOO4nZjf
https://youtube.com/shorts/fy3M987-8CI?si=fN1E6iKGsJCXU-3n
https://youtu.be/wU3JU3u5diU?t=13
>>
I could live in a 3.5 tatami room with no kitchen and be happy. I don't give a fuck if that triggers political people. I just don't have use for anything more
>>
>>20407613
Nuwave pro induction cooker and lodge cast iron pan. Gets smoking hot in about 60 seconds.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.