[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Are cooking youtubers worth watching, or is it better to learn skills from books and recipes?
>>
>>20416366
I like Ryuji
>>
>>20416366
I’m really not in the mood for more ads
>>
The only cooking channel you need to subscribe to is simply sara.
>>
>>20416366
The one that go into detail on technique and history are nice. Kenji and Notanothercookingshow are good.
>>
>>20416366
lopez in the 'log
>>
File: Untitled.png (3.61 MB, 1920x1080)
3.61 MB
3.61 MB PNG
>>20416366
Nanako is the only one worth watching.
>>
>>20416366
These questions feel like bots to me. If you wanted to cook you'd be cooking, not creating yet another thread on internet celebrities which will turn into a list of all of them.
>>
>>20416402
This is insane. Are you trying to learn cooking history? And which cooking youtubers do NOT go into detail? That's the entirety of 'what they do'. Detail.

'The ones that go into detail' are 'all of them' because thats why they're making videos.

Shut the fuck up. Buy an ad.
>>
Professional chef tubers are shit.

Amateurs who grind for the love of cooking and eating are the only ones worth watching.
>>
Kenji is totally worth it, even watching relatively simple recipes he always has good nuggets of wisdom worth picking up
>>
>>20416366
Skill? You read the recipe. You follow the recipe.
>>
>>20416384
Best a*glo cuisine channel
>>
>>20416366
There are no real skills you need to learn other than maybe how to slice shit up. You can just start following recipes and they should come out good.
>>
>>20416492
If you have ever made any of her recipes you will understand why she weighs 600 pounds. So good you can't stop eating it, dirt cheap and super filling.
>>
>>20416366
Youtubers are a waste of time unless they speak French or Italian.
>>
>>20416366
If you watch how to make meatballs from youtube before you make youtube you might make a better meatball, that's all I'm going to say.
>>
>>20416366
You can learn more from watching someone than just reading a text
>>
>>20416366
It's hard to say.
I mean, generally the best way to learn a new recipe is by seeing the entire process demonstrated by someone who knows how to do it well.
Youtuber is a bad metric for quality. Most of them are insufferable cunts.
>>
All I ever do is watch youtuber if I want a recipe. If I don't use a recipe where I can watch the step by step then I fuck it up.
>>
>>20416366
Kenji, despite being one of the soyest """men""" on earth, does have high cooking IQ, and his videos are worth watching even though it makes you a little more gay every time.
>>
>>20416366
you guys see this vid? lmao https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ofEjtS8WFs
>>
How about you cook your own shit, then watch puketubers and see if they can help.
>>
>>20417082
why
>>
I'm making consistently 2-3k per month on my cooking youtube channel and all I do is literally just plagiarize kenji and chef john recipes and pretend they're mine
>>
>>20417296
why what
>>
>>20417312
link
>>
>>20416366
Whoa, who is that sexy half asian half latinx person?
>>
>>20417482
Alt is a German/ashkenazi name and Lopez his wife's name
>>
>>20417491
So what is he? Latinx or Asian?
>>
>>20417498
He is Asian/White/possibly jewish
>>
>>20417501
How is he Lopez then lol? Is he a Spanish Samurai? Isn't Kenji like a fake Japanese name? Like a Japanese trying to a have a stereotype American name and calls themselves Hamburger.
>>
>>20417514
he took his wife's name like a faggot, which another anon already pointed out, you fucking mongoloid. learn to read
>>
>>20417528
He is trying to pull my leg. Which I fell for but I won't let my leg be pulled anymore
>>
>>20417466
I'd rather not, I don't want someone around here with malintent to tip off the authorities
>>
>>20416366
Some of it helps to learn recipes, but nothing helps as making your own stuff over and over
>>
>>20417528
Why would he take his wifes name? Is that a Japanese thing? Nothing about this person makes sense.
>>
>>20416446
I can't think of many foodtubers that show a POV play by play while narrating the steps they are taking and why they are taking them. Kenji is bretty good in that regard.
>>
>>20416384
Based
>>
>>20416999
I agree with this. He is absolutely insufferable and watching him loudly smack and chew his food wearing bare feet, painted fingernails and a go-pro strapped to his fucking head while he rants about trump and non-binaries makes me want to violently hurl, but he does have good tips. Hopefully he dies soon.
>>
>>20417574
His real name is James Alt. He goes by kenji Lopez-alt to sound more foreign because in reality he is the rich son of American MIT professors and not whatever foreign mix he tries to sell himself as.>>20417596
>>
>>20418115
If this is true he is doing worse than his parents and they must be ashamed of him. Their friends will be privately joking about their retarded eceleb son.
>>
>>20418143
>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Alt

This is his dad unironically. Harvard genetics professor with a blue name on Wikipedia. And his son is some retard cooking eggs on YouTube lol
>>
>>20418115
I'm a hapa and I don't think that's true
I think as a kid he probably wanted to feel more Asian and so switched to using his middle name almost exclusively
>>
>>20418227
Kenji is his wife's name.
>>
>>20418364
Meant Lopez*
>>
>>20418364
>>20418366
I know
>>
>>20417296
BecUse happy birthday and cake is for children. Pate and saltines and a composed melancholy song while filming in low saturation is the move for people who cant stand tradition
>>
File: ChAdam.jpg (94 KB, 900x900)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
I like watching ChAdam Ragusea. Yeah yeah I know he astroturfed this place, but he has the ja ne sai quex
>>
File: angry cooklet rants.jpg (109 KB, 1200x789)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>20418998
>>
>>20417514
I went to high school with a Japanese foreign exchange student named Kenji.
>>
>>20417574
It's a "This is my partner, not my wife" kind of tradition.
Honestly don't really have an issue with it. I think it's fine for a husband and wife to share their last names.
>>
>>20416366
If you're looking for FotM for your "girlfriend"'s brunch birthday party go American Youtube, Pinterest and Reddit. If you want to learn how to cook properly go to French Youtube and websites, Italian websites (there are no good Youtube channels) or just buy decent French or Italian books. There are great Belgian and German-language books but there it gets really murky for novices. Same for Spain: the only culinary relevant regions are Basque country and Catalonia. And the very south tip of Spain if you're obsessed about paella. 90% of the country is a food desert.
>>
>>20419423
>Italian websites (there are no good Youtube channels)
There is vinchenzos plate but website is just easier. Unles you really dont know anything about cooking then folow YouTube if you are not sure.
>>
File: sophiamybeloved.png (585 KB, 1127x585)
585 KB
585 KB PNG
>>20416366
is spending several nights alone with your sister based?
>>
>>20416366
>are they worth it
yea you definitely can gleam techniques from watching a few afterall most ICE chefs learn from watching and implementing in class anyway
>>
>>20416402
>Notanothercookingshow
This guy annoyed the fuck outta me, made one of those apology to black people vids during BLM riots then took it down a year or 2 later like a fucking Black square face book bitch
>>
i hated that kenji guy for absolutely no reason

then i learned about him

it's like a 6th sense. i can just feel it every time. i always trust my gut. these people are demons straight from hell and you should trust your intuition.
>>
>>20419014
That's based desu
>>
>>20419848
ceramic stoves are fucking gay
>>
i fucking hate the zoomer cooks in the youtube shorts section. they all feel the need to act like comedians.
>>
>>20416366
matty mattheson is probably my chef to watch, hes a little manlet cuck boy but hes entertaining and has some good vids
>>
>>20419855
shut up, Adam
>>
>>20416366
Claire Saffitz is one of the better channels for baking. The small things you pic up watching her add up.
I don't care to be anything but competent in cooking so jean-pierre is my guy. No talk of "disulfide bonds creating umami", just gud fud.
>>
Pastry living with aya is a good channel
>>
>>20420550
Forgot to mention Helen Rennie. Absolute quality.
>>
File: file.png (189 KB, 351x275)
189 KB
189 KB PNG
>>20420565
Her pendant is certainly interesting... I feel as though I've seen it somewhere before....
>>
>>20418227
Wrong. He only started going by J. Kenji Alt as an adult so people wouldn’t think he was another rich white kid from a super rich Boston suburb who got into MIT through nepotism and built his career on rich people connections. The name switcheroo is meant to trick the kind of white educated liberal foodies who like Bourdain into thinking Kenji is a BIPOC. It’s pretty scummy and incredibly cynical. Especially for someone born into so much privilege.
>>
>>20420912
Do you have any evidence?
>>
>>20420934
He went by James Alt until he began food journalism.
>>
>>20417082
You owe me a minute and a half of my life back. The only amusing part was when the woman broke the cracker like a 4-year old.
I once went to his beerhall-kinda place in the Bay Area by sheer chance, not knowing until years later that it was associated with him. Only had appetizers, but they were only OK, probably not significantly more expensive than other things in the area. I couldn't figure out why the place was doing such better business than the other things around, and I guess it must have been the star factor. That, or the entrees were actually really good.
>>
>>20416366
Youtube cooks use recipes
>>
>>20417312
Buy a fucking ad Adam
>>
>>20416366
I feel like most of them make "content" rather than showing actual cooking of any kind. Especially channels like weissman or babish, where they're basically dropping 30+ bucks on making one thing and that's on the cheaper side for them.

Foodwishes with Chef John is good, he doesn't get too extravagant and while he's running out of material, he has tons of real recipes that you can use. I enjoy Marco Pierre White's stuff, just substitute his stock pot and use your own seasoning, the technique is still solid and he's no nonsense.
>>
>Ctrl+F Chef Michel
>0 results.
Damn shame, the old man taught me everything I know.
>>
i liked runnyrunny999 until he fell for the asmr meme (pronounced as mimi)
>>
>>20416366
i only watch kenji at this point, since it actually feels like a recipe a normal person would cook instead of some tryhard over edited shit like 90% of cooking videos
>>
>>20416366
I don't have much respect for food youtubers
Watching them is a waste of time and, franky, low class.
I got better things to watch
>>
>>20419423
>Same for Spain: the only culinary relevant regions are Basque country and Catalonia. And the very south tip of Spain if you're obsessed about paella. 90% of the country is a food desert.
You are a fucking retard who doesn't know anything about Spanish cuisine.
>>
>>20421518
Yeah his tips are applicable to me since I don't work in a restaurant or TV show model kitchen. Watching him throw together a meal in half the time it would take me encourages me to be more efficient.
>>
>>20419819
Just another desiccated tumbleweed blown by the winds of propaganda.
>>
>>20419326
Hyphenated last names are retarded. You still have to pick which one comes first, which defeats the entire "anti-patrilineal" power-play motivation. Imagine growing up with a hyphenated last name, knowing that your parents were both so self-important that they spurned tradition in favor of some "equitable" neologism. What happens when two kids of such parents meet and marry? Do you hyphenate 4 of the fuckers? Do you force the kids to pick a favorite? Do parents swap last names of offspring based on sex? It'd be better and simpler for all involved to decide the new family name on a fucking coin flip. Tradition can be stupid and outdated, but it doesn't need to be replaced by some thoughtless modern bandaid that's obviously untenable in the long run.
>>
>>20422292
These were my exact thoughts when I first met someone with a hyphenated name. It's just such a flawed idea right from the get-go that it's borderline offensive to rationality that someone invented this and went with it.
The traditional surname system is obviously not perfect either, but it is exactly that: a tradition. Besides whatever cultural importance that might have to someone, it's also the accepted norm carried from the past until someone finds a better way. Nobody has to justify their use of it, since any flaws came from prior generations, unlike with a new idea being put forth. And hyphenated names are not the way.

Still a fan of JKL-A though. Do you guys have any favorite cooking youtuber recipes? I tried JKL-A's garlic noodles a while back since I was tired as hell one day and had the ingredients on hand. For a lazy, fast recipe with virtually no nutritional value, it was a good treat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK9OHVxB_Z8
>>
>>20422292
>Hyphenated last names are retarded.
I agree, but I have to admit I like the sort of cyberpunk stylings of "Kenji Lopez." It's like Takeshi Kovacs or something.
>>
>>20421467
>old man taught you about cock
Sounds about right you fucking frog
>>
>>20422292
>>20422349
You put a lot of thought into a 'not my problem' scenario.
>>
>>20422542
I put a lot of thought into everything. I'm open-minded and am always looking for fresh ideas, alternate ways to look at things, and better ways to solve problems.
Ignoring things that aren't immediately relevant or that don't personally concern you is the thought process of an animal.
>>
>>20422551
Must be nice having that much free time.
>>
>>20422587
If we never take time, how are we ever to have time?
>>
>>20422587
It took me a few minutes to type my rant about hyphenated last names. I'm here to post and read posts. Bit of a weird thing to act high and mighty about when you're ostensibly here for the same reasons. It's also pretty fucking reductive and myopic to assume that the absent-minded destruction of traditions and values is a "'not my problem' scenario".
>>
>>20422749
Jaden Smith that you?
>>
>>20416366
>Hello guys, gals and non-binary palls
yeah nah, farewell kengi
>>
>>20423036
Yeah, fuck that. I HATE rhymes.
>>
It isn’t YouTube but the Thomas Keller Master classes are pretty solid.
>>
>>20416366
kenji and chinese cooking demystified are good. i think books are actually a generally bad way to learn cooking, unless you want to learn something specific in detail and already have skills.

the best way to learn to cook is to watch someone else who's good at cooking, because people do so many little things while cooking they might not even realize. the video format lends itself to this, though most of the cooking youtubers edit so much that it nullifies that advantage. that's why kenji is good, because he shoots POV and edits relatively little
>>
>>20416366
Yes. Try following a cooking youtuber's recipe and decide for yourself whether or not it was a good recipe. Do this until you figure out which cooks have reputable skills.
>>
>>20418108
Fun fact, he has a bot that notifies him every time someone mentions him here so he can get butthurt.
>>
>>20423833
snitch ass bitch. fuck you kenjicuck and your tens of millions of dollars inheritance. Congrats on having a rich German American father and a rich Japanese mother.
>>
kenji vs mark weins fight to the death. who wins and then dismembers, fillets, and eats the other?
>>
File: 1000003856.jpg (74 KB, 860x1113)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
I would eat anything this bug put out and then rim her hot thai rosebud
>>
>>20424103
>kenji
*Lil Jimmy Alt
>>
>>20416478
>Kenji is totally worth it, even watching relatively simple recipes he always has good nuggets of wisdom worth picking up
he's a fucking faggot that tried to cancel other YouTubers that are less gay that he is, I unironcially hope he dies, and you should die too for supporting him
>>
>>20424193
honestly even ragusea is more tolerable and less of a fag
>>
>>20423001
I'm not on this board to read or share opinions on geneaology.
>>
>>20424207
>honestly even ragusea is more tolerable and less of a fag
Kenji took his wife's last name, anyone who talks about him a positive light is a homo by mere association
>>
>>20416384
Is she the landwhale who was making waffles out of cheese because its keto, then died?
>>
>>20421467
Goddamn it, no French subtitles
As someone who can read entire novels in French but can't even hear basic spoken French, it's frustrating how they're always auto-generated
>>
>>20424193
who did he try to cancel?
>>
>>20424276
Anybody who points out that Falun Gong is a weird insular cult that the CCP is actually right about.
>>
>>20417312
Yeh but now youre a filthy youtuber.
(steve if you see this, youre the exception)
>>
>>20416384
Every queen needs a king
https://youtu.be/w46Dwh4TMGA?si=ey0ufIAqih_VsJAr
>>
>>20416366
the only time I learned more about cooking is when I actually cooked shit. a book and these camera whores aren't gonna teach you shit.
>>
>>20416366
technique is always going to be better explained with video, nuggets of wisdom are usually better expressed as a casual aside rather than something explicitly written out.
>>
>>20422521
Hehe, super nickel Anon.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.