[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: insect-meats.jpg (139 KB, 1200x675)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
Lab-grown insect cells could be the planet-friendly ‘meat’ of the future

https://grist.org/article/lab-grown-insect-cells-could-be-the-planet-friendly-meat-of-the-future/
>>
>>20438112
>insect cells
Why insect cells, why not chicken cells or beef cells.
>>
>>20438786
Tikkun Olam.
>>
File: WIREBOX.gif (11 KB, 80x60)
11 KB
11 KB GIF
>>20438788
>Tikkun Olam.
>World repair
OK

Still not eating bugs.
>>
where the fuck is this "bug eating" shit meme coming from?
i've heard of someone legitimately suggesting eating bugs maybe once, a decade ago, possibly more than a decade ago
every other occasion i've heard of the idea it was from someone on /ck/ having schizo meltdowns about "them" plotting to force everyone to eat bugs
this is not something i've heard anyone talk about anywhere else
>>
sounds great
i really dont see what the issue is and theres plenty of benefits
people are too attached to what they know in my opinion
>>
>>20438960
you are edible

i could imagine your thigh after a couple weeks in an 8% brine pickle
>>
>>20438850
It was posited as a sustainable option during World Economic Forum a few years back. Basically the idea is that there's too many people to live long term eating high cost foods such as beef or chicken without fucking up the planet. Maybe 1% or so of the population can do that, but the rest of us will have to switch to another option. Bugs are our best bet there because they are rich in protein, and are already consumed in most of the world. It's not some kind of conspiracy theory, it's simple facts at this point.
>>
>>20438997
ok
>>
>>20439033
what is the world economic forum and why should i care
>>
>>20439033
Which proves the conspiracy is real.
>>
>>20439033
Most of the proteins in bugs are indigestible chitin. It’s like saying celery has tons of carbs, ignoring that the carbs are indigestible to humans.
>>
>>20438786
From the article
>insect cells are much easier to work with. They’re easy to grow and hard to kill, with fewer temperature, pH, and oxygen, and carbon dioxide constraints, not to mention the fact that they survived for weeks without feeding. The method of metabolism in insect cells is also more conducive to mass production, relative to animal cells.

Seems like a bit of a stretch though. If you're mass producing lab-grown meat you're not going to let it sit around for weeks without feeding. And the other article it links to showing that insect protein is so much better is using calculations about lab-grown meat assuming that technology never improves, which is obviously highly flawed.

The articles are from 2019 anyway, so they're 5 years old at this point. There's a reason nobody ever talked about lab-grown insect meat. It's already going to be hard enough to get people to switch to lab-grown meat. Trying to do it with lab-grown insect meat would probably be impossible. Even if they had lab-grown meat that was identical to the best quality real stuff it's still going to be a bit of a challenge.
>>
File: assets.newatlas.png (185 KB, 840x560)
185 KB
185 KB PNG
>>20439763
You're behind the times, air protein is the new craze now...

>Superfood protein pulled out of thin air massively scales up production

https://newatlas.com/environment/solein-protein-sustainable/

>Verification not required.
>>
>>20439793
Sounds odd, and interesting. But it seems like they can basically only make a protein powder from it. People are still going to want something like a piece of meat to bite into.
>>
>>20439719
it's a summer camp where the children of the billionaires who run the world decide what the future of the planet should look like when they inherit it

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.