[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: chempejack-15967.jpg (94 KB, 960x540)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
Has anyone tried one of these?
I ordered a chempejack and a red custard apple because they're in season now and I've never tried one before
Anyone know what these things taste like?
What other cool fruits are available fresh in the US?
Anyone know how to get fresh Açaí?
>>
>>20438785
I'm guessing that's related to durian?
>>
>>20438785
whatever you stupid vaxxtard. go get another booster shot.
>>
>>20438833
supposedly similar taste profile
that and jackfruit
I love durian. The texture of chempejack is also interesting. from videos it looks like something between mango and bubblegum
>>
>>20438881
Unfortunately for me durian tastes like how shit smells, no idea how people can say it tastes like custard but it's interesting how tastes can differ in such an extreme way. Must be genetics or something like with coriander
>>
>>20438896
I had durian a few times while travelling through South-East Asia. All durians smell like rotting fruit (I'm not sure why there's like a million different descriptions for how they smell, rotten fruit has a very distinct smell and it's exactly what durian smells like). In terms of taste, good quality durians have a creamy, custard taste while bad quality durians will be similar but significantly more bitter.

Also, most tourists who tried durian in South-East Asia went to a tourist trap where the durian is already pre-cut and pre-packaged and has been left out under the hot sun for hours. Obviously the locals never buy them this way, they buy fresh durians where it gets cut and opened in front of you.
>>
>>20438785
That looks like jackfruit to me. If that's what it is, it tastes like the bubblegum candy flavor, and extremely chewy/fibrous.
>>
>>20438785
My general experience with exotic tropical fruits has been underwhelming. They usually look really cool and exciting, but when you actually taste them they're generally pretty bland or mild. This applies to starfruit, dragonfruit, longan, rambutan, jackfruit, guava, soursop, mangosteen, and a few more that don't have English names. The only tropical fruit I've tried that is actually worth trying is durian.

I guess it makes sense. The tropical fruits that are actually worth exporting are already exported, e.g., bananas and coconuts. Nobody would buy imported starfruits because they're just not worth the price.
>>
>>20439019
There's some Mexican fruit I've had once that was pretty great, it's brown with orange sweet potato stuff like inside and a big black seed in the middle. Might be called custard apple in English, I don't remember the Spanish name anymore. Persimmon is also very good but that's not that exotic anymore.
>>
>>20439044
Bro wtf, I had that exact same fruit in Uganda and It grew on palm trees and it looked like a young coconut but brown. Inside was the orange fibrous flesh like you described. I've been trying to find a name/description of it online for years.

WHAT IS THIS MYSTERY FRUIT
>>
>>20439055
Well I found the one I've had, it's mamey or sapote. They sold them at a Mexican store here in town that's since gone out of business.
>>
File: ezgif-5-38332807de.jpg (1.04 MB, 2560x2560)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
>>20439094
mamey is amazing
I grew up in mexico and it was all over the place but in recent years even there it turned in to a bit of a luxury good
>>20438896
>>20438953
first time I had durian my impression was of baked garlic with sugar and walnuts and I've loved it ever since
My wife and kids hate it though
What about the red custard apple? Anyone try that?
>>20438956
I heard something similar. supposed to arrive in a day or two. I'll report back
>>
File: rawtill4.jpg (68 KB, 866x622)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
youtube.com/watch?v=pVqPw2JCqJs
>>
>>20440370
i should call her
>>
File: no durian.jpg (93 KB, 700x538)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>20438896
there's a reason hotels in SEA don't let you consume durian in your room
>>
>>20440370
>What about the red custard apple? Anyone try that?
you mean soursop
they are good
>>
File: 1708061348893847.jpg (190 KB, 1200x923)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>20438785
>I ordered a chempejack and a red custard apple because they're in season now and I've never tried one before
>Anyone know what these things taste like?
Vietnamese here, at least in my third world I have the luxury to eat all these tropical fruits.
Regarding chempejack, it's soft and chewy in texture, more intense flavours than your typical jackfruits, and even sweeter. I'd go as far calling them "sickly sweet". The most noticeable property is their "stickiness" when you pick up the flesh. Typical ripen jackfruit is not as sweet, but at the same time not sticky so it's not messy to eat them. The previous anon here is a bit wrong when they said (for typical jackfruits)
>extremely chewy/fibrous.
It's a bit chewy, but definitely not fibrous. I'd say they have a bit of crispiness to the.
For me, jackfruit > chempejack
>What about the red custard apple? Anyone try that?
Very tart and sweet, leaning on sweet, very good floral aroma, excellent in smoothies. Unripe will taste mealy, powdery and sour, not good. Overly ripe is too soft and can be wet to the touch.
>>
>>20442981
I’m not OP but just wanted to say I appreciate your input.
>>
>>20438896
Some people have more connections between smell and taste, or they're unable to separate the two sense for whatever other reason, or smell overpowers sense of taste in some, and durian certainly smells terrible. It could be genetic, developmental, or simply trained/practiced perception, or some combination. Same thing with cilantro, but people like to think they're
>super tasters
and are somehow superior to others for their failure to perceive a pleasant flavor.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.