[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images (6).jpg (6 KB, 225x225)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
What's the difference between the 50 types of seed oils? Which one should I pick? it feels like I have to choose the least shitty one but they're all bad. Are there any alternatives?

And no butter won't work for like 70% of the dishes
>>
>>20468189
>And no butter won't work for like 70% of the dishes
lol
>>
>>20468189
Pure animal fats
>>
>>20468189
Each seed oil has a different flavour and a different smoke point. If you want the most neutral flavoured jack of all trades oil one go for sunflower oil or rapeseed oil.
>>
>>20468189
seeds oils are okay as long as they are mostly monounsaturated and cold/expeller pressed, if you can find that for a good price you're fine
>>
>>20468189
jeezus how much fried food do you eat
>>
>>20468189
You can clarify the butter if you're worried about it burning. Your other non-seed oil options are any animal fat, avocado oil and olive oil. Avocado is great for grilling or other high temp applications.
>>
I know nothing about different oils, I just use olive because that's what my mom always used. Is that bad or good?
>>
>>20468189
Chemist here. The difference between seed oils is in the fatty acid composition. The major fatty acids being saturated (myristic acid, palmitic, stearic, etc.), monounsaturated (oleic acid, palmitoleic acid etc.) and polyunsaturated (linoleic acid and linolenic acid)

This information is widely available, just Google " x oil fatty acid composition" and compare.

The fatty acid composition of an oil determines both its physical (smoke point, viscosity, etc) and nutritional properties, among other properties. As >>20469617 pointed out, oils rich in monounsaturated and saturated fatty acids are generally considered "good", olive oil for example is mostly monounsaturated. The "recent" problem that has somewhat come to light is the effect of linoleic acid on some metabolic processes. I am not a biochemist and don't know the full scope of the issues but consuming large quantities of linoleic acid, which is easy to do if you eat a lot of "processed" and fried foods, may be detrimental over time. The dose makes the poison
>>
File: 870850320673153097.gif (53 KB, 65x58)
53 KB
53 KB GIF
>>20468189
>sunflower-seed oil
the king of the crop, high smoke-point for frying. bad for the heart

>olive oil
only suitable for low-simmering because of its lower smoke-point & astringency. has a characteristic vegetal palate, and can be eaten raw (as a constituent in salad-dressings or dips, etc)

>generic "vegetable" oil/canola oil/rapeseed oil
can be used for either cooking or consuming raw due to its moderately-high smoke-point & very-neutral taste. mostly used for baking or meat-marinates

>peanut oil & sesame oil
they have the palate of the nuts they're derived from, and hold-up-to hot cooking mediums extremely-well. tend to be used on a situational basis since they impart flavour to whatever your cooking

>coconut oil
just about fireproof, making it an extremely good frying-oil, even for foods you wouldn't expect (bacon & eggs for example; the savoriness of foods like this mask the coconut-palate to a great extent). also bad for heart-health

>avocado oil
I've barely used this stuff so IDK, good for salad-dressings I guess. you could probably cook a mean oven-roast using this stuff as a marinating-liquid too

>soybean-oil
it's mild taste & medium smoke-point make it a very versatile cooking-oil, probably moreso than canola/vegetable. has a shorter shelf-life & can taste a bit rank/fishy if it's exposed to air too much.
>>
>>20469919
bretty gud recap. bought soybean oil once and it was disgusting, worse than rancid years-old canola
>>
>>20468189
for me it's (extra virigin) olive oil, peanut oil and butter

sunflower and rapeseed oil are bottom tier.
>>
>>20468189
I haven't done like a tasting flight of cooking oils, but I know what I like. I use olive oil for most applications, including sauteeing and such. When I need a neutral oil or a high-heat one I use vegetable oil. I used to use canola but it turns out I have that weird mutation where canola oil smells and tastes like fish to me, so I switched to veg. Been very happy with it since. I don't make a habit of deep frying, so I don't buy big jugs of peanut oil on the regular or anything. Basically if you own more than two, MAYBE three kinds of oil, you're posing.
>>
>>20469620
Some people do Keto, I'm on Frito.
>>
>>20468189
Canola oil is much more healthy than Sunflower oil because it has some rare vitamins that you normally wouldn't get. Sunflower oil tastes a little better though.

Clarified butter (Kerrygold or better) is an even better option when you need a high smoke point but it will be much more expensive and Kerrygold will probably be unaffordable outside of europe. Best flavor by far though especially for something like Schnitzel it makes a huge difference.
>>
>>20468189
If butter won't work use coconut oil instead, also great for lube.
>>
>>20469919
terrible misinformation. "vegetable" oil is 100% soy and sesame oil is for flavoring not frying.
>>
>>20468189
I only use imported Extra Virgin Olive Oil and organic Avocado Oil
>>
File: 1691159097404198.png (87 KB, 600x370)
87 KB
87 KB PNG
>>20468189
>And no butter won't work for like 70% of the dishes
>>
File: 1706659701434154.jpg (109 KB, 941x1021)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>20468189
ez, yet good, question OP.
use butter for max flavor
use virgin olive oil for max flavor when using oil
use sunflowerseed oil for best price/ quality ratio
>>
File: good oP.png (522 KB, 853x1000)
522 KB
522 KB PNG
>>20472565
sorry meant this image.
>>
>>20468189
Real men cook with lard
>>
>>20472733
Real men cook woth thwor own lard.
Eat fat. Get fat. Remove fat. Cook fat. Eat fat.
Perfect circle, just as the Gods intended.
>>
>>20470762
>coconut oil instead, also great for lube.
it really is

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.