[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1712365919697518.jpg (194 KB, 509x645)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
>be me
>go to sushi restaurant with my friend
>me eating nigiri and rolls
>friend orders the fried chicken wings
>laugh at him and think it's going to be gross and weird
>try some when it comes
>it's legit better than 95% of the fried chicken I've ever eaten
>mfw I try to pretend I didn't like it
>>
>>20468823
>Go to a conference in a small town in Canada for my wife's job. 35k people tops
>Catered lunch
>Caterer comes in, absolutely decrepit old man, enormously fat woman, and a bunch of people who look like they have no idea what they are doing
>Old guy is missing part of his foot and limping heavily
>Drag their food out of some ratty ass cambros and into beat up chafing dishes
>Then we are delayed for 45 minutes because dipshits running conference decide to just keep talking
>At this point I'm seeing a ghetto catering crew who's food was probably cooked over an hour ago and expecting the worst
>Finally get to eat
>Roast is fucked from sitting, not their fault really, but these motherfuckers unironically have the best chicken breast I've ever seen served a la carte
>Incredibly juicy, tender, and in a delicious white sauce
>Carrot cake for dessert looked like nothing special but was actually 9/10 too
>Talk briefly to the old guy. He'd been catering for 40 years. Fat lady is his second in command and has been doing it for 20. Says the chicken is his specialty.
>Get back to Vancouver a few days later, mention this to the other sous chef. Executive chef walks by and overhears, literally knows who this old fucker is because he used to mog everyone in the province back in the 90s.
>>
>>20468823
Minor one but
>decide to give Belgian frites a try
>expect it to be about the same as the fast food fries I grew up on
>they’re crunchy amazing goodness and I love them
>>
>>20468823
keep in mind this was well before uber eats or really before smart phones
>be me fuck at least 20 years ago now, before bush's reelection
>road tripping for work, then gf and her brother come along because they wanted to do something along the way there and also we were gonna spend two nights in vegas on the way back
>the motel my work got me/us was in some shithole suburb outside of los angeles
>only restaurants nearby are a chain diner called Millie's, jack in the box, and some asian place
>jack in the box is open, but the teenagers inside say their registers aren't working and they can't sell us anything- but the cashier just stands there staring at us like there's literally anything else we can do
>gf's brother is a 5'8" gear head and starts to argue with the cashiers, plural, because despite them knowing their registers arent working there are two cashiers- but there was nobody back in the kitchen so idk why the fuck they stayed open but whatever
>asian place's door says they close at 10pm, although its 7:30pm and they are most definitely closed with the door locked and lights off
>millie's is the last option without us driving around aimlessly
>run of the 'mill' diner, nothing special
>try to order a burger, how could they fuck up a burger
>"sorry we're actually out of buns"
>jesusfuckingchrist.exe
>I fundamentally disagree with buying salads from restaurants
>I never order chicken from a less than reputable restaurant
>"fuck it i'll have the steak"

bros it was easily one of the top 3 steaks i've had in my life
>>
>>20468823
Many years ago, I moved into a new neighborhood, and there was this pizza joint nearby which served fried chicken, which is odd, because other than KFC, noone serves fried chicken in my state. It was amazing, and the best fc I've ever tasted. Of course, they went under a year later, and replaced by some cringe chain with a crap menu.
>>
>>20468823
The place was probably staffed by Koreans, they make good fried chicken.
>>
File: sw-tu_10fps.gif (1.35 MB, 320x213)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB GIF
>>20469779
>>
>>20468823
Outback. hadn't been to one in over 10 years, and it was too far away.
moved near one, and damn they make good steaks, chili, and even chicken.
>>
>>20468823
>>mfw I try to pretend I didn't like it
Why? Why not just be pleasantly surprised and enjoy the moment to its fullest with your friend?
>>
>>20468858
>Old guy missing half his foot married to an obese woman working shitty jobs for chump change living in a small town in Canada making delicious food nobody cares about
The future of most /ck/ posters
>>
>>20468823
>early 00s midwest, ebay in its infancy, garage sales were BIG deals, everywhere all the time.
>townwide garage sales were common, traveled to a town, found out 2 other adjacent towns were also doing sales.
>ended up in a small marina town where every house was butted up to the water and had boats.
>one gas station, one very small dumpy family restaurant
>bought some cool stuff, bought first mini bike, stop and get food before going home
>remember talking with my brother about how the prices were absurdly low, and they must be really old and just not updated.
>one of the best burgers ive ever eaten at a restaurant, and it was dirt cheap.
>waitress says beef is from a local farm and the owner/chef had been around for like 60 years

Growing up I never liked mom and pop restaurants, all the old timers were pretty much gone by the mid 00s and the ones that were still around had crappy ever worsening food. This one stood out as being really good.
>>
>>20468823
Definitely as a child and going over to my Trinidadian friend’s house and trying all the weird new shit. It was all fucking delicious.
>>
>living in japan circa 2013
>didn't like sushi
>all fish taste the same, can't detect quality difference
>friend takes me to a neighborhood sushi restaurant in yokohama
>nothing too fancy but not low end either
>$100-150 per person
>actually decent tasting
since then i've tried to find sushi places like this, but either it sucks or too expensive, no middle ground
>>
>>20469011
I know the feel
There used to be this diner that did a steak and eggs platter, I don't know what the fuck they did to the steaks, they were cooked mid-well, even, they were thin but caramelized with golden brown bits, like a smashburger but a whole slice of beef
>googles chuckwagon diner
Holy shit they're still open
I know where we're eating this Saturday morning, bros!
>>
>local fast food burger chain
>had their chicken in the past at other franchises and was just reheated frozen tendies
>try the location that closest to me
>hand battered chicken and fish that is hot, crunchy, and delicious
its my go to spot for decent quality fried tenders, mogs chic-fil-a, probably helps it used to be a KFC
>>
>>20468823
Hardees Roast Beef was better than Arbys
>>
>>20468823
There is this diner near me that looks like a run down roach motels. It's called Kings Arms. It was actually great
>>
>>20471407
OP is a woman
>be me
>laughing at someone ordering food
>it ends up being fine but being a neurotic bitch she can't say so because it would have made her wrong

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.