[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (563 KB, 750x500)
563 KB
563 KB PNG
Now that the dust has settled, what's the verdict on searing steaks in extra virgin olive oil?

I always used grapeseed oil for high heat but now they're telling me that I was wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_aFHrzSBrM
>>
>>20630417
Yes
>>
>>20630417
I just use an olive oil with a higher smoke point. EVOO will burn if you're trying to get a good sear on a steak
>>
File: IMG_0476.jpg (2.78 MB, 4032x3024)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB JPG
>>20630513
So is grape seed ok or not?
I just sear 2-3 minutes per side and lower the heat until done.
I use tri ply stainless steel frying pans so the stove is on medium low or even low past the Leidenfrost effect stage. I even cook eggs without sticking, however the oil polymerizes on the sides of the pan and I have to scrape it.
>>
>>20630417
Is that even 72oz of steak? You, sir, are no Big Texan
>>
Bump

https://health.usnews.com/wellness/food/articles/why-you-should-stop-worrying-about-olive-oils-smoke-points
>>
>>20630417
I'm a ghee guy myself
>>
>>20630674
>explains Selina Wang, department vice chair and associate professor of food science and technology at the University of California, Davis.
Yeah..I'm gonna have to pass on that article.
>>
>>20630764
Read the Australian study anon

https://actascientific.com/ASNH/pdf/ASNH-02-0083.pdf

https://olivewellnessinstitute.org/article/new-research-proves-that-evoo-is-the-safest-and-most-stable-oil-to-cook-with/
>>
>>20630752
Ghee is hella over priced and most brands sold are pajeet brands. That's gross.
>>
>>20630778
So can I sear steaks for 10 minutes in my hot cast iron pan with it?
>>
>>20630806
NTA but I always thought of it as something you make yourself.
>>
i do a mix of evoo and butter for mine
>>
>>20630806
it's also super easy to just make yourself
>>
>>20630417
The olive oil will be fine as long as you don't fry in it as it's burning.
If the oil starts to turn black, then you're getting into unhealthy territory.

I still prefer avocado oil when searing because it has a high smoke point.

I've been intending to switch over to beef tallow but I just never get around to buying any.
>>
>>20630867
K I will make my own. Not really a fan of searing with plant oils.
>>
>>20630856
Best choice along with clarified butter, tallow
>>
>>20630821
Yeah probably. It will smoke though. And olive oil seems to be high quality so why waste it.
>>
File: IMG_6855.gif (1.84 MB, 234x200)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB GIF
>not grilling your steak like a hetero
>>
>>20630927
Grill is too much work.
>>
>>20630417
Just use lard.
>>
>>20630872
>>20630915
So I did this: I oiled my steak on both sides and tossed it in my stainless steel pan (because I wanted a clear surface to look at the oil) after the leidenfrost effect, reduced the fire from stove to low and seared 2 minutes one side and 2 the other.
The wasn't strange smells but some "smoke" which could've been the water from the steak evaporating, however at the 5 minutes mark the oil that started wandering around the pan became dark brown and I turned off the heat immediately. It didn't smoke, however I had to finish cooking in a non stick pan.

Hopefully I won't develop cancer, however I won't try again. This shit makes me nervous.
>>
>>20631104
>Hopefully I won't develop cancer
lol
>>
>>20630821
10 minutes is too long for a sear.
My sears is max 2 minutes per side.
If it's taking longer you're not hot enough and you're going to end up with a well ring around the outside of the steak.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.