[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: garlic and onion powder.jpg (706 KB, 2400x2400)
706 KB
706 KB JPG
I've seen a German say that garlic and onion powder are fake spices and that people should only use the fresh stuff. Are they right?
>>
they are totally separate ingredients from fresh with different flavor profiles and uses
>>
>>20631073
what are some uses for the powder stuff specifically?
>>
>>20631070
There are two possibilities here.

>A German man told you this.
He is a fucking retard who should kill himself.
>A German woman told you this.
You are a fucking retard who listened to a woman and should kill yourself.

Either way, that opinions is awful.
>>
>>20631070
It's not fake, but preground spices lose flavor faster. Ideally you'd want to grind all spices just before using to maintain flavor. That's not as convenient with other spices but with garlic and onion most people can buy fresh and chop it up.

>>20631074
If you're going to make a spice rub then you'd want to use garlic and onion powder instead of fresh because with the fresh stuff it won't adhere or will leave burned chunks. Although I always assumed if fresh will burn then so will the powder.

Just taste them. Use whatever you think tastes best. It's more convenient to use powders which some people prioritize more than maximum flavor and freshness too if you care about that.
>>
>>20631070
garlic and onion powder are great for making your own dry rubs, spice mixes, garlic/onion/flavored salts. If you, or someone else eatting the food, doesnt like eatting globs of minsced garlic/onions in their food then you can use the powdered form. Its also good for pre-made meals, backup supplies, dry goods, ect.
>>
Different uses and different flavours. I don't really use either* because I generally don't know how to cook American food and I don't know any other cuisines that use them but I think of the two and their fresh counterparts being analogous to fresh peppers vs paprika IE they're as I said: wholly different tastes with wholly different uses.
>>20631080
>preground spices lose flavor faster.
Which brings me to * I do use dried minced onion which I powder freshly before use. It has a much stronger onion-y flavour that goes nicely in a few dishes I cook, particularly my cauliflower stamppot and when I told an American friend about that, she says that she prefers to do the same because it tastes fresher and stronger than the pre-powdered stuff.
>>
same way ground parsley and fresh taste nothing alike anon
amerilard cuisine uses a lot of onion and garlic powder and you can't substitute fresh onion
>>
>>20631070
Garlic powder and such is great, onion not so great. Onions don't hold a lot of the properties that you want when it's freeze dried and blitzed up. Garlic on the otherhand does.
>>
>>20631074
Fried chicken
>>
File: digest-1604810817.jpg (21 KB, 260x375)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>20631070
>Are they right?
No
>Any reasons to use these things
Bagels, also everything
>A German
>>
>>20631070
For most cooking it's better to use fresh. I use powder in baking though because you can't really use fresh since it interferes with gluten development and roasted/confit/caramelized isn't always right either, especially if you're not using oil in the first place etc.
>>
>>20631070
If you're making a rub for meat that you want to sear you're better off with powders than the real thing because the moisture will boil the meat.
>>
File: file.png (91 KB, 300x300)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
This sucks
>>
>>20631413
anyone else with this feel
>>
>>20631074
Soups and stews where you want the flavor to permeate the entire dish evenly and have a lot of adjacent liquid (powders are water soluble).
>>
File: 9b2.jpg (46 KB, 680x788)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>20631070
>>
File: 1686121114403170.jpg (91 KB, 948x1024)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>20632434
>>
File: 20240629_220800.jpg (110 KB, 873x960)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>20631070
>>
There is nothing wrong with using powdered garlic/onion as long as you're using it in a recipe where their texture won't be hindrance.
I wouldn't mind it in soups and BBQ rubs. I wouldn't use it as a salad topping, for example.
>>
>>20631070
It just makes everything taste like convenience food.
>>
>>20631070
1. They have all the flavor of their fresh counterparts, you are being lied to when people say there is flavor loss. Oil is lost from the garlic, but that shit is a pain.

The ones that DO lose their flavor are the mince in oil and mince in water/acid. These are flavorless and useless in everything. Cooklets constantly mix these up with the powdered versions because they mistake fresh = good. Everything in the spice section is perfectly fine as-is, the only scams are garlic salt - make that shit yourself. Pickled onions are bomb, but you should make them homemade, the store ones are kinda shit.

2. Rubs and sauces are where you use this. The moisture from the meat re-hydrates them and activates their flavor. They are useful for sauces where you don't want bits/pieces, both in home, and out in the field. Saves you having to immersion blend. Want a garlic mayo? Just add that to some mayo and mix it up. Done.
>>
>>20632716
>using dried onions in a sauce
Just cut real onions extremely fine so they will dissolve.
>>
>>20631070
Tastes better and is healthier
>>
If for some really strange reason you need a large potent fart, consuming garlic powder directly would be far more efficient than fresh garlic.
>>
>>20631070
I never understand why people ask these questions. Just try it out for yourself. Surely you have some garlic and onion powder? If not a small bottle of each is like $2. The next time you go grocery shopping get an onion and a head of garlic. Make something you want, like meatballs or some shit. Do half with the fresh cut garlic and onion, half with the powdered. Cook it up, eat it, judge for yourself. Cost you like an extra $5 in ingredients that you’ll likely still use. I did this and found that it’s what you’d expect. For the meatball example the fresh garlic and onion won hands down, burgers the same, meatloaf, etc. powdered ginger was similar result. Dried herbs in general. still keep the powdered and dried herbs around and use them often because 95% of the time I’m not cooking some fancy fucking meal. If I don’t have an onion on hand I’ll make do with onion powder. That said these two get used the least bc I pretty much always have garlic and onions. Ginger, thyme, etc? Not so much
>>
>>20631359
>german
that explains it
they are not exactly known for having food culture
>>
>>20631070
convenience, still great flavor. buy in bulk off ebay
>>
Buy garlic paste.
Onion powder for dips, sauces and spice mix.
>>
>>20631070
Just googled these a couple days ago, turns out ancient Egyptians were drying garlic and onions, grinding them up, then using the same stuff we are over 2000 years ago. I think that's pretty cool.
>>
Fresh sucks for anything where you aren't actually eating the vegetable. If you're eating a sandwich and you want some onion, you put a real onion in there for that crunch and onion flavor.
Powdered stuff is better as a flavor enhancement. Best example are stuff like steaks. Basting is a fucking stupid meme, your steak will not absorb much if any flavor from that garlic clove you put in the pan. But you sprinkle a little garlic powder on top and it will improve the steak.
It's all about knowing where to use what.
>>
>>20631070
No. Granulated onions in burger patties is king.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.