[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: download (1).jpg (13 KB, 258x198)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
whats the key ingredient for chewy chocolate cookies? the chocolate chips i use dont melt like picrel
>>
Better chocolate for the cups but as for chewy cookies, higher gluten flour. Gluten yields a chewier cookie.
>>
moisture
>>
File: BOvs5p3.jpg (293 KB, 1440x1209)
293 KB
293 KB JPG
>>20634014
>>
>>20634014
The are no melted chocolate chips in the picture, you rectal-born retard.
>>
I make Chocochip cookies that can fold in half like a taco even after cooled.
Use any standard recipe but, replace:
Half the all-purpose flour with cake flour
Half the fat with shortening
Half the brown sugar with corn syrup (I use Aunt Jemima maple-flavored syrup)

As far as “melty chocolate”, the melting point varies based on ingredients. Milk chocolate melts at a lower temperature than dark chocolate. I prefer “semi-sweet”, but use milk chocolate for meltier results.
>>
>>20634014
To make them chewy you want bread flour which has more protein. You need chocolate chips specifically for baking if you want them to melt like that. Regular chocolate just warms up and gets soft but mostly stays firm.
>>
>>20634014
If you have about 15-30 minutes to kill read this:
https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food-lab-best-chocolate-chip-cookie-recipe
^Ctrl+F Chewy to skip around to your relevant are of interest

If you don't and just want a good recipe that utilizes all of the above then use this but sub out the All-Purpose flour with Bread Flour for the reasons >>20634433 discussed (the extra protein creates more gluten in the cookie to give it the chewy factor):
https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies/#tasty-recipes-70437
Also you may want to substitute 10% of the granulated recipe's white sugar or even less with corn syrup (it's that powerful an ingredient) which turns the final product from picrel left to picrel right giving it a pronounced flexible bend and chew.
>>
>>20634014
melted butter is the way to go.
Also don't over-mix the dough
>>
>>20634014
Undercooking
>>
>>20634527
>Also you may want to substitute 10% of the granulated recipe's white sugar or even less with corn syrup (it's that powerful an ingredient) which turns the final product from picrel left to picrel right giving it a pronounced flexible bend and chew.
Using all brown sugar or adding extra molasses can make it chewier too. I love the texture of molasses spice cookies for that reason.
>>
File: jt.jpg (166 KB, 800x800)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
Just use Jaques Torres' recipe and absolutely rest the dough it's the most important step
>>
>>20634527
But the left looks infinitely superior to the right, plus it would it have corn syrup in it.
>>
>>20634555
I don't disagree but the left will split/crumble if you try to bend it while the right will flex like the Tacoma Narrows Bridge before it collapsed. It's a texture vs. appearance tradeoff.
>>
>>20634602
Idk I’ve made cookies with wrinkles on top that are also chewy. In my experience, it’s mostly an overbaking situation if your cookie cracks without bending. Or they’re stale/dried out.
>>
Don't bake them too long also add some gluten or idk maybe some kind of gum (not chewing)
>>
>>20634014
flour
>>
>>20634014
Use cake flour
t. uses a mix of bread flour and cake flour for a not too soft not to hard cookie
>>
>>20634019
>>20634433
>>20634911
you guys are contradicting yourselves which is it
>>
>>20634953
All of the posts suggest bread flour or a combination of bread flour + AP/Cake Flour. The bread flour adds chewiness, the AP/Cake flour is if you want the interior tenderness to be higher (yes you can have both at the same time).

Jaques Torres' recipe referenced by >>20634548 also calls for a combo of bread/AP flour:
https://cookiesandcups.com/jacques-torres-chocolate-chip-cookie-recipe/#why_two_types_of_flour

SBA's recipe in >>20634527 calls for added corn starch which mimics adding cake flour.
>>
>>20634953
You're a fucking retard holy shit
>>
>>20634995
>Jaques Torres' recipe referenced by >>20634548 also calls for a combo of bread/AP flour:
*bread/cake flour
/fixed
>>
>>20634014
7 T melted butter, 7 T shortening.
>>
>>20634014
Use brown sugar instead of raw or white sugar, and slightly undercook it.
>>
https://www.mybakingaddiction.com/new-york-times-chocolate-chip-cookies-recipe/
The best chocolate chip cookie recipe right here. They're the best I've ever had at least, and plenty of people I've made them for have said the same.
Yes, you really do have to refrigerate the dough for 24 hours before you bake the cookies, it makes a huge difference.
(But fuck dark chocolate chips, that's for fags who want to pretend they're sophisticated. You're eating cookies. Regular semisweet chips are better and you know it.)
>>
>>20634014
Do you want harder chewy or softer chewy? One trick I use for adding chew is to flatten caramels and put it in between two thin cookie dough layers. It’s a bit of extra work but I like the way it turns out.
>>
crispy cookies are superior
>>
>>20634527
i just finished sallys recipe (it's chilling), this bitch wears too much makeup.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.