[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1700929769232458.jpg (220 KB, 750x900)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
Is it worth hunting for rare whiskies in your eyes?

Around here there is a steady supply of somewhat rare whisky, but I know if I don't spend my saturday morning (once a month) going around hunting for rare bottles, I likely wont be able to get them at all.

So do you waste your time driving around looking for bottles or do you just deal with the regular stuff on the shelf?
>>
File: 1698113431071256.png (86 KB, 1338x965)
86 KB
86 KB PNG
Pic related is this Saturday's releases
>>
I just drink cheap Costco liquor, or if my ex-military buddy goes to the PX I'll get something a little fancier like some Balvenie, or Glenlivet.
>>
>>20665096
>Elijah Craig
>500+ bottles of private-release barrel-proof
I'd probably try to grab some of these if they're from different barrels.
>>
>>20665094
>Is it worth hunting for rare whiskies in your eyes?
Yes, but only if you plan on long-term sipping
The "rarest" kinds near me are French Malts
>>
>>20665177
I tend to make a bottle last me at least 2-3 months, so I'm not downing bottles every week or anything wild.
>>
>>20665096
>WOODFORD RESERVE BATCH (700ML)
Why does it have a euro standard bottle?
>>
>>20665094
Provided you have extra money and time, yes, of course it is. I have around 200 bottles of bourbon in my 'collection' many of which came from just driving around to liquor stores. It's a fun thing to do.
As a side note: you'll be surprised by how many smaller liquor stores are willing to negotiate on odd bottles. Know the market. Don't be afraid to skee-daddle.
>>
>>20666717
Limited release
>>
>>20666733
I only pay retail pricing, I don't fuck with secondary market.
>>
>>20665094
>Is it worth hunting for rare whiskies in your eyes?
No
>>
>>20667093
>>20666717
US law was changed a few years back allowing non-standard bottle sizing in the US, woodford has run with it and started releasing their batch proof stuff in 700ml bottles to make it look different I guess? Also just so they can charge the same for less juice.

Also iirc these batch proof selections are made with 2 barrels of Woodford mixed with 1 barrel of Old Forester. The most recent ones have been ~6 years old.
>>
>>20666733
>I have around 200 bottles of bourbon in my 'collection'
How long do you keep a bottle once it has been opened?

I'm always worried about my whisky going bad eventually.
>>
>>20665096
Midwinter nights dram is overhyped. It's fine for $75-100 but at $120+ just too much for what it is.

I assume the blood oath pact 10 is also overhyped, though I've not had it and can't say for sure.

The Woodford batch proof releases have gotten good reviews overall, though the 2024 batch is supposedly the worst one in 2-3 years.

Id probably look at the Elijah Craig stuff and if there is a particularly good barrel try to buy some of those. They're usually under $80 MSRP.

I'd also potentially buy the Blanton's if its MSRP.
>>
>>20665094
Getting rare whiskies would likely be pretty easy where I live. The alcohol laws in my country are awful. It's taxed to hell, you can only buy shit below 5% ABV at the store, and have to go to the "wine monopoly" to get anything stronger, and they close at 6 on weekdays, and at 4 on Saturdays.
The only good thing about that, however, is that they'll get whatever you want, have a ton of expertise and have massive stores of obscure bottles of alcohol. They can get almost whatever you want, and because it's run by the state, they're not going to charge extra for the sake of profit, but will sell it to you at retail value + taxes. It's still expensive because of the alcohol taxes, but that becomes less relevant when we're talking about obscure stuff, because the taxes would amount to almost nothing if we're talking about expensive stuff. In other words, anything that's moderately mainstream or easy to get will be far more expensive here than in other countries, but really obscure, expensive stuff will generally be cheaper, if you're able to get it, because it's retail price + tax.

As for hunting for it, I don't think it's worth it, unless you're a wealthy fuck and expensive whisky is your main hobby, and you just want to show the world what a big whisky dick you have.
>>
>>20668133
What state?

Ohio is decent for bourbons and that's just due to proximity with Kentucky, but otherwise meh.
>>
>>20668193
>state
Well, I specifically said country, but Norway.
>>
>>20668133
>>20668193
I'm guessing finland. Here in sweden they close at 7 on weekdays and 3 on saturdays and closed on sundays and all holidays. Also you can't get anything above 3.5% abv in regular stores
>>
>>20668209
There is a bunch of rare stuff you don't get simply because it never gets exported.
>>
>>20668216
Really? I didn't know you fags regulated that stuff. I figured it was like in Denmark, where you can go to the nearest corner store in the middle of the night and buy a bottle of whisky for 2 kroner.
I mean, you guys are like our Mexico, with entire convoys of Norwegians going to Strömstad to buy cheap groceries and, I assume, alcohol.
Granted, I've never gotten to do that, because I'm not from eastern Norway.
>>
>>20668219
There is also rare and expensive alcohol (mostly wine) that is sold by quotas to various countries and businesses, and Norway is unique in that aspect, because the state run wine monopoly doesn't really do markups. In other words, a lot of buyers tend to flock to Norway to buy our quotas of expensive, rare wines, because they're far cheaper than buying them elsewhere, where they're marked up.
>>
>>20668236
Oh I fully believe that, I just know there are some rare bourbons that barely even make it to other US states, let alone outside of the US for retail sale at MSRP.
>>
File: Untitled-1_03.png (299 KB, 315x937)
299 KB
299 KB PNG
>>20665094
>Scuttlebutt at the distillery is production is being discontinued
It's over.
>>
Do you ever dilute your whiskey with water, or is it complete sacrilege? Some claim it can enhance and bring out characteristics not found completely neat.
>>
>>20668250
>rare
But are they good? I'm trying not to be insulting here, but if you have something good, you generally want to export it, given that you're not really maximizing profits if you only sell your product locally. That said, you specifically said "rare", and I suppose it's fun to hunt down rare stuff just for the sake of it, even if it's not premium stuff, but at least average or better.
Having said that, I believe bourbon doesn't have the greatest reputation. I do like my alcohol, but I'm not expert on bourbon, and my opinion of it might be too heavily influenced by crap like Jack Daniel's and Jim Beam, which only survive thanks to their marketing.
>>
>>20668266
a lot of bourbon that is of fantastic quality are simply never exported because the people making it don't really care about milking all the profit they can from it.

Even the companies marking up their bourbons right now are charging $300-500 MSRP and those bottles are going for $700-1500+ on the second hand market depending on what it is.

The bourbon market at the moment in the US is pretty insane, tons of stuff sells out the moment it hits the shelves and many places won't even put some of the stuff out on the shelves at MSRP at all, they sell at secondary market prices directly.

So the idea that these companies that are already having their bottles being sold in the US on the secondary market for $1000+ are going to sell some bottles to the European market for $200-500? Not happening. At least not in any large quantity. I know some french liquor store bought a whole barrel of 6 year Willett a few months back, but even that was only ~170 bottles and they were selling for 250 euros each.
>>
>>20668334
Well, I don't buy anything in that price range, but feel free to recommend me an affordable American bourbon that is available internationally. Again, I don't mean to sound insulting or like I'm challenging you, which I feel I have to point out, given that most people who post here tend to be reactionary assholes when their tastes are challenged, which is admittedly part of 4chan's charm.
>>
>>20668351
I simply don't know what's available internationally

Weller, their general lineup should be ~$55-60 USD
Blanton's is ~$75 USD at non-markup prices
Old Forester (though I prefer their $55+ stuff instead of their $30-40 stuff)

For CHEAP bourbon the lowest I'll generally go is Evan Williams Bottled in Bond

There is a lot more out there, I just don't know what sort of bourbon is available near you, since even for me in the US, my local stores have a decent selection, but if I drive 2 states away their bourbon selection is twice as large.
>>
>>20668394
> Weller, their general lineup should be ~$55-60 USD
only $100+ secondary
>Blanton's is ~$75 USD at non-markup prices
and $250+ secondary
I hate what bourbon has become, 5-10 years ago you could easily find bottles on the shelves for $30-50 collecting dust that go for $1000+ now.
>>
>>20668394
>Weller, their general lineup should be ~$55-60 USD
>Blanton's is ~$75 USD at non-markup prices
>Old Forester (though I prefer their $55+ stuff instead of their $30-40 stuff)
I'll give them a shot if I see them. Or I'll just ask the staff for a recommendation.
>>
>>20668597
as that anon said, there is a lot out there and I could give you 20 recommendations, but if none of them are available to you locally it really isn't going to matter.
>>
>>20668260
Never more than a few drops. If I'm not enjoying a pour I'll try adding some water and see if it opens up a bit. Sometimes it'll improve, but it's up to subjective taste.
>>
>>20668891
That's not much of an argument. If American bourbon has the same range of quality as other types of liquor, then there would be high quality brands available internationally.
>>
>>20668904
whatever helps you cope i guess
The fact there aren't high-end bourbons available to you locally has NOTHING to do with their quality.
>>
>>20668971
>whatever helps you cope i guess
Well, right back at you, I suppose. If you have to stoop to that level, I suppose that speaks for itself.
>>
>>20669010
You can understand the concept of rare wines in Europe being more readily available to you but can't understand the concept of rare bourbons having the same thing be true in the US.

You're just a retard.
>>
File: 3dudms9i0xra1.jpg (1.33 MB, 3024x4032)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG
>>20668266
You've got no idea what you're talking about. Jim Beam and Jack Daniels are both fantastic distillers of whiskey and are hardly surviving due to their marketing.

Jack Daniel's single barrel barrel proof products rye and non rye get rave reviews and are regarded by many as the best $65 dollar regularly available bottle at MSRP(Pic related)

I haven't had a Knob Creek bottle yet but the Knob Creek line along with Bookers and Bakers are all highly regarded bottles in the bourbon community that come out of the Jim Beam distillery.
>>
>>20668904
There is barely enough good bourbon in the domestic market, why the fuck would we send it over to Europe?
>>
>>20669013
>You're just a retard.
Again, right back at you. I wasn't really talking about wines. I can get most kinds of Japanese whiskey where I live, and pretty much any kind of liquor. My point was very simple. If there are good bourbons, then there are mainstream brands that are available internationally.
And despite your insecurity and weird defensiveness, I'm sure there actually are good bourbons out there. I told you I came at this from a point of ignorance, and that bourbon has a bad reputation, because the most popular bourbons are pretty bad, and asked for recommendations. You're the one who decided to take offensive to this and start acting like a child, pretending that good bourbons only exist locally in the US, which is an insane idea.

>>20669026
Well, that's a next level cope. It's not like liquor is difficult or expensive to produce, and it's not like Americans don't like to make money.
>>
>>20669053
Again, I'm telling you without knowing what's available to you locally, it's pointless to give you anything. Pretend all you want it's easily avaliable to you.

Go buy a 10 year willett purple top at retail and flip it for 3x that as they go for $2k+ in Europe.
>>
what should i get to drink tonight i like stout and cheap pints of liquor
>>
I drank a bottle of Tullamore in about 24 hours. I drank about 1/3 of the bottle the night I got it and got pretty drunk. The next day I drank the other 2/3s of the bottle and felt not so drunk.
>>
Any wine-fags in here?
I've had a number of concord wines and liked pretty much every one of them, the "worst" one being the manischewitz jewish slop that they add too much sugar to.

Are wineos just up their own ass? It literally tastes like a grape / juice, it tastes great. Concord has got to be one of the best wines honestly, it tastes like a drink made from grapes should taste like. Not every drink has to be your thrice-distilled himilayan first-growth grapes with an extra cumshot.
>>
File: 1720819945261152.png (1.02 MB, 1048x774)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB PNG
DAWN OF A NEW ERA, BOYS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBg835ytdfA
>>
For me, it's Tullamore Dew.
>>
>>20669502
[liver failure noises]
>>
File: file.png (284 KB, 633x614)
284 KB
284 KB PNG
Which way food & cooking man
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100326
>>
>>20669018
Jim Beam is owned by Suntory
>>
>>20670276
They also own bookers, knob creek, makers mark, old grand dad, not to mention various blended whisky, rye whisky, Irish whisky, scotch, and Japanese whisky.

They're one of the largest distillers in the world.
>>
>>20665108
I doubt you get much cost savings from the PX
>>
File: IMG_4756.jpg (549 KB, 1125x1804)
549 KB
549 KB JPG
Anyone had this ? Thinking about grabbing a bottle today
>>
>>20665096
ended up picking up a bottle of Blanton's ($82 after taxes)

They had the new Elijah Craig B524 but the reviews I have seen so far place it as a standard barrel proof showing, nothing amazing (like C923). Similarly for the Woodford it was the 121.2 proof release which is getting pretty meh reviews compared to their previous releases.

Blood Oath Pact 10 was gone by the time i got there.
>>
>>20670349
Good for the price, but don't expect some hidden gem that competes with $60+ bottles.
>>
>>20668260
>or is it complete sacrilege?
Anyone saying this in general is a tryhard who doesn't really like to drink whisky except as a poser. However, whether you want to do this really depends on the whisky. Wild Turkey 101 can be watered down to shit and ends up a totally relaxing drink that I'd rate more highly than drinking it neat. Plenty of whiskys are very sensitive and basically have their flavor destroyed by water though.
>>
>>20670469
I would say with most barrel proof (cask strength or whatever) stuff you owe it to yourself to at least try it diluted with a bit of water.

I find a lot of higher proof stuff really opens up with a few drops of water.
>>
>>20668260
If your whiskey is 40% ABV it has already been diluted with water.
>>
Choose my weekend plan for me /ck/
>just fast because I'm getting fat and need force myself to start my weight loss
>go buy gin & tonic, and have minimal food to not wreck my stomac
>go buy gin & tonic, and do OMAD (thinken of mash and salmon)
>ignore weight loss and enjoy my weekend with booze and good food
>>
>>20670545
i'd probably do 1 or 2
>>
>>20670555
I'll celebrate your trips with 2 then
>>
File: file.png (314 KB, 516x1000)
314 KB
314 KB PNG
Looking to get into rum. I hear Appleton Estate 12yr is a good standard rum, any others I should be aware of?
>>
>>20670577
El Dorado is the standard for rums at bars
>>
>>20670543
A lot of whisky is diluted with water when it gets casked after distilling but before ageing, it can then get watered down AGAIN after ageing to hit exactly 40% or whatever other proof they're looking to hit.

Or it could be blended with something higher-proof if they're looking for a high-proof blend.
>>
>>20669597
Kek
>>
Nice, is /alc/ finally back? I have confessions to make
>>
>>20669200
im a winefag, this is the first time I've heard of this grape. i prefer dry reds.
>>
>>20671783
It must just be where you live, if you live in a concord area you'd know about it.
It's pretty much the number one juice grape and it's also what all grape flavoring is based off. Not a bad grape for just eating off the vine either. It's not traditionally a wine grape really, its wine tastes almost exactly like juice.
>>
>>20665094

I'm returning from Japan and one of my friends would like whisky as a souvenir. Any recommendations?
>>
>>20671951
people like nikka and yamazaki here. I think yamazaki prices went crazy a few years back though. honestly it will all be pretty good so get something you've never seen before in your budget and they'll love it
>>
>>20672257

I guess I'll get a Black Nikka, it's sold at my neighboring store, is cheap, and its name is funny so it'll make for a good decoration afterwards.
>>
>>20669018
>69%
why would they make it that strong?
>>
>>20672264
It's barrel proof. They didn't "make it" that high proof that's just how it turned out.

I've got a barrel proof bourbon at 65.9% (131.8 proof) right now.

I've also had barrel proof stuff at only 115 proof.
>>
>>20672270
I see. Is it any good at that high proof?
>>
>>20672277
It just depends.

Better stuff can stand up to the high proof and make it taste lower proof than it really is. On the other side there are some moderate proofs that taste very "hot" (pure alcohol taste) some people really like that alcohol burn, some people want it as muted as possible. It's all preference. Generally though a good barrel proof won't taste as high proof as the number would suggest.
>>
>>20670354
>ended up picking up a bottle of Blanton's ($82 after taxes)
Can't be too upset with that, around me they're selling for $150.
>>
>>20670577
I too am looking to get into rum, it seems like a sipping rum is a lot cheaper than a sipping whiskey or tequila
>>
>>20670577
I haven't had the Appleton 12yr, but the 8yr was decent, if not as funky as other Jamaican rums
Doorly's 12yr is a solid sipper, but be aware it's a Total Wine exclusive if you're in the States
Plantation 5yr is also good around that price
>>
LCBO went on strike so I bought a bottle of this online. Pretty decent as far as cheap whiskies go.
>>
>>20665094
I hate alcohol faggots 100% of this shit taste like poison the only reason to drink any of it is to get wasted

I've tried it all my go-to is taka vodka and any kind of soda dirt cheap gets the job done just as good if anything else I want to throw up just thinking about it but that also goes for every fucking whiskey you can name
>>
>for the price of a 7 year old hypebeast bourbon, you could get a 15 year old scotch
>for the price of a 15 year old scotch, you could get a blended japanese whiskey
strange times
>>
>>20674143
Lol, there are 6 year bourbons that on the secondary market can sell for more than even an 18 year Macallan.
>>
File: 1696183834622741.png (141 KB, 1109x650)
141 KB
141 KB PNG
>>20674161
>>20674143
forgot pic
>>
>>20674166
Fuck that, you can get a Glenfiddich 26-year-old, literally 20 years older, for ~$70 less.
>>
>>20673049
regulations, taxes and production/storage costs are cheaper for rum.

craft tequila is retardedly expensive because it's the newest meme for reddit and Forbes to circle jerk.
>>
File: 1718159245645702.jpg (168 KB, 960x960)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>20665094
I tried Korean soju for the first time recently, apparently you're just supposed to take shots but I was chugging it down like beer, it tasted like peach juice basically I didn't even taste the alcohol
>>
>>20674368

That one is pretty nice even if it's kinda expensive
>>
>>20674368
Soju is great. I've also heard that you're supposed to take shots of it, but I just drink from the bottle and so does everyone else I've ever seen drink it. It's nowhere near as strong as the typical spirits I'd expect in a shot anyway.
>>
Is it just me or are the alcoholic Arizonas supposed to taste like they're just the regular cans that have been sitting for too long on the shelf/back of the fridge and have gone bad? I'd rather just drink regular beer or mix spirits if this is what most premade "spiked drinks" are supposed to be like
>>
Not quite related to the thread but I made an old fashioned using this recipe just now and it was the best one I've ever drank. I used a (much) cheaper bourbon of course though lol
https://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/julian-van-winkles-old-fashioned-cocktail
>>
>>20674513
>I'd rather just drink regular beer or mix spirits if this is what most premade "spiked drinks" are supposed to be like

Yes, that's pretty much the case. Those drinks are generally for people who don't know what to drink, and think that "thing I like+booze" is the best they can do because they don't know what to buy that works with the alcohol.
>>
>>20674513
>>20674694
I can't even drink whiskey/rum/etc mixed with Coke. Fucking disgusting.
>>
Ontario bros, how we feeling?

>>20670227
Surprised how much I love this manga so far.
Really hope it keeps up the quality level without getting the axe
>>
>>20665094
I'm 35 and I don't get spirits. It's pure alcohol with a glimpse of some flavor.
That's like making a meal but ruining it with too much salt or sugar.
>>
>>20675040
You can't drink spirits at 35. Try some prune juice or a glass of milk instead.
>>
>>20674166
The bourbon market is wild, and willett purple tops are some of the worst offenders. I'm pretty sure that 6yr bottle retail price is around $199.99-229.99.
>>
>>20675046
How did you know I drink a lot of milk?
>>
>>20675138
>I'm pretty sure that 6yr bottle retail price is around $199.99-229.99.
Which is still absurd for 6 year old distillate.
>>
File: pappy.png (473 KB, 1484x699)
473 KB
473 KB PNG
Finally you too can have Pappy at an affordable price
>>
>>20675280
Kek
>>
>>20675280
Kek
>>
>>20675280
>>20675286
>>20675290
Why alkies have such shit sense of humor?
>>
>>20675317
boo
>>
>>20675317
The real joke is how much pappy costs
>>
>>20675169
>>20675138
Part of the inflated prices in the Bourbon market are from all the new "craft" distillers that are basically just a dude in his garage that paid for a license, these smaller distillers release mainly 2 or 4 year spirits to compete with similarly-priced blends
6 year is only worth it if it's something really funky like a Solera Whiskey
>>
>>20675422
Willett family estate purple tops are known for being "funky"; very different from the regular bourbon flavor profile considering their mash bill. They tend to spicy, cinnamon, herbal, minty. And they tend to taste beyond their years, I've seen people do blind tastings and assume their 6-7 year bottles are 10+ years.

Still not worth $600 though.
>>
>>20665094
>/alc/

Wtf? I thought jannies banned it. Who else is still alive from 2017 /alc/?
>>
Reminder that alcohol is literally poison.
>>
File: image-4.png (407 KB, 948x529)
407 KB
407 KB PNG
In Japan and they want 15 thousand USD for some 30 years habiki
>>
>>20675514
30 years is a long time, but that still seems absurd. My local store has multiple 30+ year scotches and they're all under $10k/bottle.
>>
>>20675740
30 year old scotch should be less than $500 after tax
>>
>>20675788
Sorry, the best I can do is a 27 year Glenkinchie single malt for $400
>>
>>20670577
>El dorado 8/12/15 years
>Plantation XO/ 5 years
>Chairman's reserve rum/ spiced
>Bacardi caribbean spiced / reserva ocho 8 years
>The demon's share 3/6/12 years
>Captain morgan spiced black /private stock, id go as far as saying spiced gold is good and unique with cola and lime
>>
File: 20240715_143153.jpg (316 KB, 1678x518)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
>>20675802
>Diageo
may as well put that money towards a Rosebank.

>>20675872
>>20673972
get woke, go broke.
>>
File: 1715273109797233.jpg (12 KB, 480x360)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>20676085
>Diageo
>don't buy this mega corp
>buy this other mega corp
okay
>>
>>20676085
I'll buy them as long as it says plantation on the bottle. i heard about the name change, and i will not have that name change in my cabinet. i only bought the XO though, i don't need the other ones of plantation, but 5 years gets recommended a lot.
>>
>>20674886
Fine. LCBO has terrible selection for bourbon and scotch, they can be dissolved for all I care. Only problem is that out of province shipping is extortionate. Really 60$, for 1-4 bottles? It was 20$ for 6 last year. Picking up another Compass Box Orchard House, a cask strength single barrel bourbon or rye, and a dessert wine for the summer.
>>
>>20676128
the 5 is fine. I had planned on buying one of the Fiji offerings that had been finished in a Kilchoman scotch cask. I dont know if it'll be in my budget to buy from "white people bad" company now.
>>
Bump
>>
>>20676507
Forgot i bought the OD. Liked the nose, taste is decent, but doesn't work well in mixes personally. So far El dorado 8 is my go-to for sipping and mixes.
>>
>>20676113
Obviously he's trying to sell Beam-Suntory drinks
>>
>>20677836
>Beam-Suntory
Or Pernod Ricard
Or MGP
Or Brown–Forman
Or Sazerac
Or Heaven Hill
Or Bacardi
etc

The fact he only shits on Diageo is honestly hilarious, he's clearly just a retard.
>>
>>20677972
they're the worst. simple as.
>>
>>20678399
>this mega corp is worse than this OTHER mega corp, so buy their mega corp slop instead
wewlad
>>
File: IMG20240615181845.jpg (560 KB, 3072x4096)
560 KB
560 KB JPG
>>20670577

Hampden Great House, or any of the Foursquare annual releases.
>>
>>20670577
You heard wrong. Appleton are known for the Jamaican funk flavour. It's fine if you like that, but it's not standard for rum.
>>
File: me.png (590 KB, 523x695)
590 KB
590 KB PNG
lost 30lbs since i stopped pic rel since my recovery
>>
>>20679149
Bro I'm sorry to hear the alcoholism drove you to buying funko pops. How's getting rid of them going?
>>
>>20679161
my poppin (thats what i call buying funko pop collectables) has increased since i have more money to spend
>>
>>20679167
Grats on kicking the habit I was just giving you shit, my reason for drinking won't go away just because I stop drinking so until I find a replacement I'm all in still.
>>
>>20675788
you can get 30-ish year independent bottlings of well-known distilleries for around 1000, which is way better than dropping 5k on pappy 23 yr
>>
File: 1697401671997338.png (16 KB, 1560x96)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>20679181
Pappy 23 prices vary widely depending on which release it is.

1998 23 year is gonna go for $30k+ but a 2020 23 year is gonna be $3-4k
>>
>>20665094
I know a bit that tries to get his hands on limited release bottles, but only to sell/trade in the secondary market. I don't have the knowhow or the disposable income for suck endeavors.
>>
>>20665094
Anons from the American South: what bourbons that market themselves on their southern heritage are actually drank there?
>>
>>20667093
>700ml
gay
>>
Anons, what validity is there to opened liquors going 'bad' over time (as in enough to cause sickness, not just off flavor/aroma), and when is it best to just toss some shit? What about the whole "that one kind of liquor that fucks me up" thing people bring up sometimes? I ask because got sick several nights ago after drinking some relative's liquors and liqueurs gifted to me that were old and opened, but kept closed and in a dark closet. I thought it was just from drinking too much that night (and I believe I did), but after multiple dry days, I tried just 60ml of brandy today with no other drinks, and I wasn't feeling great. Not horrible, but not my best.

It smelled, tasted, and visually appeared perfectly fine. I even had some soup beforehand to give my stomach a little buffer. I ended up taking some ondansetron when I started feeling off because I was paranoid of feeling like I did early this week. I looked up info about this online, but it was unclear.
>>20674368
Is it anything like shouchuu or sake in the overall sip experience? It looks interesting, though I feel like it must be overpriced in the west.
>>
>>20678873
>Paying hundreds for a bottle that's only been aged two years
>>
>>20680700
The 2022 edition contains a blend of 74% 3-year aged rum and 26% 11-year aged rum.
Each release is a different blend, aged for different lengths.

It's the 2022 version released 2 years ago, not that the juice inside of it is only 2 years old.
>>
>>20680395
yeah shochu is japanese soju
>>
>>20681241
While I imagine it may smell or taste similar, I don't believe that is correct. Shouchuu involves the use of kouji mold, which soju does not afaik.
>>
I buy from whisky auctions. My main interest is older Glendronachs. I started doing it because the 15 year old Revival is one of the best whiskys I have ever had. After it was discontinued, I didn't want to spent the rest of my life not drinking it, so ive started picking up pre-2015 bottles at auction.

I just bought 3 of the Cask Strength series as well, but didn't anticipate just how hard I would get fucked on import taxes since they came from the EU and shipped to UK.
>>
>>20675872
I got some El Dorado 12 recently and it's pretty good but ironically too smooth for rum & coke so now I have to stop myself from just taking a swig whenever I pass by.
>>
File: IMG_2692.jpg (2.12 MB, 4032x3024)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB JPG
>>20665094
It’s happening
>>
>>20682514
nice, i've been looking for the 10 year rye
>>
>>20682532
It’s smooth my god great combo
>>
>>20681958
Seems turbo autism but good for you
>>
Would any beer-drinking anons mind commenting on any of the beers in my cart (pic related)? I'm looking to pick four beers among these IPAs and stouts since I can pick any four at $2 off ea at the moment (it picked four in my cart to deduct automatically, ignore that). Trying not to break the bank while still having something unique.
>>
I tried this out last weekend and really enjoyed it, it was the most beerful beer I ever had.
>>
>>20680395
Depends on the alcohol content. Anything below 30% risks turning into vinegar once opened
>>
>>20665293
>I tend to make a bottle last me at least 2-3 months
how is that even possible? A bottle per week, minumum, but usually mostly gone in 3 days.
>>
>>20684335
Well when you only buy $70+ bottles it's easier to pace yourself I guess.

But even then, I just don't like getting drunk, i only drink 1-2oz at a time generally MAYBE 3-4oz on a heavy drinking day.
>>
>>20684347
what the hell is that for
>>
>>20684382
....enjoying the whisky?
>>
I drink alot of alcohol for health reasons but I find when it comes to sex I don't perform as well or in my case as quickly as when I abstain from drinking. Performance wise for the kid is probably unaffected but it seems like a little drink can help prevent premature ejaculation but too much and it is very difficult if not impossible to achieve orgasm.

Has anyone experienced this?
>>
File: chrome_HMSpTjwYoZ.png (526 KB, 464x617)
526 KB
526 KB PNG
>>20684390
wrapped on day of birth... good?
>>
>>20684432
Makers mark? Toss it.

Even if it's not just toss it.
>>
>>20684432
>Dad beats you and rapes you drunkenly since you were a kid.
>beats your mom and constantly in and out of jail.
>family never has money and little food
>finally off to college on a scholarship and your dad dies.
>come back home to clean out his closet and you find this.

What do you do?
>>
>>20684441
>>20684432
It's jack daniels and unless it's one of their more expensive bottlings, it's not worth shit and should be mixed with coke.

If it's one of their heritage releases, or single barrel, or 10/12-year releases, then it's worth sipping.
>>
>sour mash

Not even once. Just put it in the closet anon.
>>
>>20684493
Have you had many sourmash whiskies?
>>
>>20670349
This is decent but I think it’s overrated as far as value buys go. If you want cask strength beam IMO you can get the non-store pick Knob creek 9’s at 120 proof for for like $45. Which is just better value. Granted it’s a solid lower cost good proof option but if I want a cheaper option I’m tending towards the 100 proof. >>20679492
old boomers down here drink Jim beam white label in my experience, I don’t consider anything really distinctly southern
>>
>>20665094
The OP pic is dumb in my opinion, it's not even their own distillate, they bought 3 different whiskies, at least 2 are MGP, finished at least one of the 3 in Cabernet and Merlot casks, and then blended them and bottled it and are selling it for $150+ a bottle.

At least previous Blood Oath releases were using their own distillate fully or partially instead of buying someone else's. I know they aren't the only ones doing this, but it's still dumb.
>>
>>20682606
Rasputin is pretty solid. I haven't tried the others but I liked the peanut butter stouts I have tried.
>>
>>20670577
Based and funkpilled
>>
i am drinking beer. ua rthere any poinbt in soliciting this htread for entertainment? probably not. omegle is dead and i dont know what to do on the off occasion that im drinking alone. you nig nogs are the only people i like. its really too bad
>>
>>20685371
I know this feel
>>
>>20685371
what kind of beer you horrible racist?
>>
>>20685409 laguniteas... 'beast of two worlds' or soemthuing, compeltely silly. its just one of those days. ioll al;ways pprecaite you fucking clowndicks. i dont know a single other culture that i have anything in common with. im trying to find more. trying to expand my world and explore other hobbies. i hope my fid my people, i really do. if they even exist
>>
>>20684591
welcome to the game, kid
all of Willet's high end stuff is just barrels of whiskey that they source and bottle
30% of the whiskeys/ryes you find on the shelf source from or are owned by MGP
there are so few craft distilleries that make a serviceable product, they might as well not exist. But you should make an effor to support them. I'm a fan of Garrison Brothers despite the high price tag, just because it's good and not a fucking megacorp
>>
>>20685633
i really want to try and turn my culktuireal afiliations into acutal real life events and meet actual real people. my soul in on 4chan unfortunately, its difficult hobby and even harder to turn that into somethin of meaning. one day i will fidn something of value in this world, a IRL community i can invest in . wish me luck forends. i want to be with people who are like minded too much. i am compeltely isolated. i wish only for myself that i meet some poeople who i can appreicate and have a drink with, in this world. i will find my people. i will find them. i will find you all. one day.
>>
>>20684335
Buy a combination of cheap and expensive stuff. Save the expensive stuff and drink it slowly over time, use up the cheap stuff more if you want to get drunk on something and/or mix whatever with it.
>>
>>20684482
Seriously, why gift someone Jack Daniels to wait 20 years to open it? Like this seems to completely misunderstand how whisky works, and that they don't age and improve in the bottle, let alone a cheap one like Jack (which you just fucking drink with cola).
>>
>>20685371
Play video games, or read a good book while immersing in comfy ambient music or chill soundtracks. Giving yourself the time for self-care is perhaps the best option. I usually drink by myself, and think that something more atmospheric and immersive may be best. Off the top of my head, I feel like the Stalker series and Morrowind could be cool if having a few drinks. Or, maybe a game like Underrail if you want a good tactics-focused RPG you can sort of slow down with.
>>20685666
Your optimism is admirable. It's not easy; throwing yourself out there, you may find like I have that there are too many fake, toxic people who'll belittle and try to control you. It's exhausting, and I can understand wanting to be around like-minded people, but those kinds of people aren't frequently encountered. So, should you encounter them, treasure those people, and try to share some good drinks.
>>
>>20685697
thanky you firend, i strongly appreciate your recommendations. i know there are some of us out there, some of us who are searching for one another and feel completely disenfrachsed with this bizaree and cruel world. i mean, maybe not, maybe thats just being dramatic. but i wish for myself and all of you as well to find our people, the most important search in life dfor us all. this world is not how i imagined it growing up. but i know you all are out there, i know youa re. i know my people are out there, with their flashlights on searching through the mist and the fog for that spark of life, that sprak of humanity lef tin the hollow world. i will find you all one day. i will find you. i am alone. but it will not be so forever. i search and i will search. io will ginf you all and my purpose as well. thank you friend. i will escape from my confinement. the world is waiting, for me. and it is waiting for you as well. i want to go there, with you all. together., i want to see it and feel it in my soul. i will find a comfortable acitivity and i will calm down. thank you as always. i certainly do need to calm down. how many years has it been. oh well., youve all heard it all before. i wish us all good luck on our journeys and that we will find our places. im not gonna read this message and troulbeshoot it for errors. i will simply shit in onto this thread. sorry. thank you all for being the only group that i understand and appreciate. i got emotional just then. sorry. my friends lay somewhere beyond the veil and i will find you all one day.
>>
ok, ok, im already sobering up after eating some shitty garbage. its amazing how you can have an emotional outburst and then its just gone from your brain. ill wake up tomorrow and give no shits at all about my headspace here today, itll just be another day.

but i will sign up for a club soon if i dont get the job im trying to get in the next 2 weeks. itl be something. cant just live my entire day out in theis old people community. my god i hate it
>>
I miss my dad so much
I miss those nights when I was still living there and we'd drink his cheap 3 dollar gallo family red blend and we'd just talk about life and the future
Some of our best arguments were nights like that, drunk off his darling gallo family. I remember crying on my 18th birthday after one of our fights and I remember talking about AI before it was really present in our lives and I remember talking about religion and I remember the new years my best friend ditched me hanging with my dad drinking our cheap red wine and talking about nothing
Now he lives in Idaho and I see him rarely and he doesn't drink much since his mom got cancer
I'm sorry Dad for not being enough like you. I've wasted my early adulthood and failed out of college just like you but I haven't been partying like you. I'm 21 and I've never had a full time job and I can't commit to anything and despite the little you you've seen in me I don't think I'll ever be you
>>
>>20685812
Man I feel this so much
I hope you find what you're looking for
I think I'm in a similar boat
I keep promising myself to go out and do things and meet people and socialize but I never do
I just keep getting drunk and crying
Please do better
>>
File: 1690199990251362.gif (1.46 MB, 340x255)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB GIF
Hi guys! I just bought my first handle of whiskey for myself, and I'm a third of the way through it! I like it!
>>
File: 1716291692857485.gif (2.03 MB, 600x600)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB GIF
>>20685887
by "just", I mean a week ago. I'm not drinking whiskey tonight
>>
>>20685887
what kind?
>>
I started with single malt scotch but lately I'm trying to cut back on my alcohol spending, and even Glenmorangie 10 year has crept up to $45 when it used to be $34

I picked up a bottle of Johnnie Walker black for $35 and I'm actually quite enjoying it. The only other blended scotch I've had is Dewar's white label, which I thought was terrible. JW black has a pleasant flavor with some smokiness, even if it disappears very quickly compared to my preferred Laphroaig 10 year. Not very complex, but it's nice to have. Black pepper, lemon peel, caramel, and some charcoal.
>>
File: 1624356448033.png (1.94 MB, 850x1199)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB PNG
>exclusively drink Bombay sapphire
>neat
>room temp only
How based am i?
>>
File: black russian.jpg (141 KB, 373x1024)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>shipment intercepted again

[screaming]
>>
>>20685901
if you're not in an ABC state, the costco 12 year/irish whiskey are like 25/30 dollars for a 1.75L and are remarkably good for how cheap they are
I think I ended up preferring the irish's nuttiness, but if you lean more partial peat, you'll probably like the 12 year
>>
>>20685963
Irish to me is too plain until you spend big bucks. I'd rather go domestic bourbon or rye when it comes to cheap stuff, but I need some scotch available sometimes, and JW black is reasonable
>>
>>20685660
>all of Willet's high end stuff is just barrels of whiskey that they source and bottle
They've got 11 year distillate of their own making

WFE purple tops 10 years or younger should be all Willett distillate. The 15+ year old stuff is the older distillate they bought in. Both are good, though obviously people hype up the more unobtainable, older distillate.
>>
>>20685695
>Like this seems to completely misunderstand how whisky works, and that they don't age and improve in the bottle
Just like morons who buy random cheap bottles of red wine and decide to hold it for two decades assuming all wine ages well and gains value.
>>
>>20685878
yeah. i just hate driving, so much. if i could just get myself to drive the 35 or so minutes i need to to get to somewhere where there might be a -few- people who are roughly my age then maybe i could make some friends, but theres a lot of ifs there. i live in retiree florida these last 3 years, not met a single person id even call an acquaintance in this time. i just need money so badly to escape this place. i have legitimately developed a significant hatred for old people living here. im all bitter.
>>
File: 86375-big.jpg (44 KB, 456x910)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>20665094
bros, after my grandfather died I was going through his house cleaning stuff out and I found an unopened bottle of Glendronach 12 scotch from 1963 (pic related). What should I do with it? Should I just say fuck it and drink it?
>>
>>20686784
You could probably find a collector that would pay $1-2k for it.

If that isn't significant enough money to make it worth your while, drink that bitch.

Maybe filter it through a coffee filter tho in case the cork has crumbled in there.
>>
>>20686941
i've got a Glenfiddich 18 at the moment that is pretty good.

being small batch (even from a massive distiller like Glenfiddich) you do get some inconsistencies between batches, some are great, some are meh.
>>
>>20686092
you can actually look on the bottle and it will say distilled or bottled at willett depending on if it's sourced
not contesting quality, rather a testament to how ubiquitous sourcing is
>>
File: 1716779411344985.jpg (202 KB, 756x1074)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
>>20687139
Yeah, just saying there are WFE purple tops that are 100% willett. I own an 8-year.

But yeah, going forward the majority of their sub-10-year releases should be their own distillate. Once Willett started distilling on a decent scale, they planned to eventually switch over to primarily using their own product, and we're finally getting their distillate aged enough to cover most of their WFE release range. Their normal releases are 6-10 year on the purple tops. Though I've seen releases going from 11-28 years those are all (or almost all) using sourced distillate and most aren't readily available at this point or are completely gone in a few cases.
As their own distillate ages, they'll likely start releasing some of those older age statements.
>>
File: 1706585305880495.png (252 KB, 648x486)
252 KB
252 KB PNG
Hi fellas, I'm tired of all the calories and bloatyness from beer so I'm turning to you all for hard liqueur advice: what's something nice to drink with high abv that I can just keep under my desk anf throat the bottle when needed? Keep in mind that I'm also poor.
>>
I want to try making a proper Moscow Mule, what's a good alcoholic Ginger Beer?
>>
>>20687022
>you do get some inconsistencies between batches, some are great, some are meh
I feel that this is extremely so for Glenfiddich. Like, the first bottle of Glenfiddich 12 I had was amazing, incredibly rich butterscotch Christmas pudding and nicely smoky flavor. The bottle I have open right now thought is horrible, to the point I legit prefer Johnnie Walker Red over it.
>>
>>20688232
>what's something nice to drink with high abv that I can just keep under my desk anf throat the bottle when needed?
Wild Turkey 101 is the best for this if you can get it cheap.
>>
>>20688297
Hella, thx bro have a nice night
>>
>>20688325
Keep in mind that, if you've never just drunk a ton of straight spirits without anything else before, your body might have a bad time if you're not taking in any other liquids. At least make sure your getting enough water into your system somehow.
>>
>>20688290
Here in the UK, I don't think that we get the same as you guys do in the US. My very first bottles of Jack Daniels Single Barrel and Makers Mark both came from US sources, and were massively superior to anything that I've bought in the UK since.
>>
>>20688355
We keep the best bourbon for ourselves.
>>
File: 1690709621086375.png (90 KB, 1200x1269)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
Why is cheap red wine so nice
>>
>>20688607
Because it tastes like grapes instead of oak
>>
>>20688232
>>20688297
For Rum, Old Monk 7
For Brandy, KWV Paarl
>>
>>20688607
Because it's cheap
>>
File: mellow-corn-1280x720.png (1.16 MB, 1280x720)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB PNG
>>20665094
I've been hunting all over for this stuff, but I'm a Newenglandcel and our whiskey variety in liquor stores up here is subpar to put it kindly. Any tips in finding it would be greatly appreciated
>>
>>20688607
>NOOOOOOOOOOO YOU HAVE TO SPEND 100 DOLLARS A BOTTLE ON AUTHENTIC FRENCH FOOT FUNGUS NOOOOOOO YOU CAN'T JUST ENJOY A SIMPLE AND AFFORDABLE WINE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>20665094
We made better alcohol in prison. You will never taste our brandy you nigger.
>>
>>20689981
I mean, it's good for $20-25, but it's not exactly "good" whiskey.
>>
>>20689996
That's how I felt about Old Grand Dad, maybe that's how this board is. It was a little too rye forward in my opinion, the novelty wears off real fast
>>
File: 1714276492957730.webm (692 KB, 720x404)
692 KB
692 KB WEBM
>>20689999
Mellow Corn is 80% Corn, 12% barley, and only 8% rye.
So might be a bit more up your alley compared to old grand dad which has like 27% rye.

and nice digits
>>
File: 1695768088480512.jpg (1.66 MB, 2760x2898)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB JPG
Nothing like a nice sip on a warm summer Saturday evening
>>
>>20669393
Kikes on the march.
>>
>>20690005
Thanks, hope I can find it somewhere. Not even Total Wine has it
>>
>>20690032
It's just not super popular, it's like the lowest end product Heaven Hill makes.

Mellow corn is 80/12/8
Elijah Craig is 78/12/10

Both Heaven Hill distillate.
>>
>>20690018
I hope you payed MSRP on that bottle.
I saw a 375ml one for $99 the other day, stupid as hell.
>>
>>20690032
Total Wine has it, just not where you are. If you google "total wine mellow corn" it'll bring up the page for it and tell you the nearest store that has it. For me the nearest store is two hours away, on Long Island.
>>
>>20690043
>Elijah Craig
brings him from ~$20 to ~$30 tho
>>
File: 1521307828497.gif (1.61 MB, 500x500)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB GIF
>>20690086
>Westbury NY
>I'm on the RI/MA border
Well time to miss out on a probably overhyped corn whiskey...
>>
>>20690148
Get an ECBP B524 and forget about the cheap corn juice. Learn to like single barrels or batch proof releases.
>>
>Have a few bottles of wine, whisky, and rum
>Have a comfortable stash of various teas I can use otherwise
>Feel the need to go on a shopping run for booze because sales are up, and I hate feeling like I'm paying more in the long run or missing out on well-priced limited releases I'd enjoy if I buy in smaller quantities.
My total I'd spend on my carts if I did is under $100, but it's all so tiresome. I just bought various liquors last month I haven't been drinking too much, finding I prefer to slowly sip wines and beers more frequently instead.
>>
>>20690230
You are right that you save in the long run, especially if you just nab stuff you like on special and are a disciplined drinker. The problem that then comes that you can become addicted to just buying new drinks for the sake of it, like you see something on special and thing "I should buy this fancy thing now or I won't get it cheaper".
>>
>>20690230
Set a limit that you can only have X bottles of liquor and don't buy more until you finish something.
>>
>>20690636
I can certainly see how it can be addicting to even shop around. I'm diagnosed with OCD; I've been racking up a few carts and tweaking them online for over a week like a nut. I can justify the behavior by acknowledging how I'm only considering buying wines and beers and not spirits, or how each one amounts to maybe just $50 each, but dynamics like limited time price cuts and especially "mix six save [?]%" feel pressuring to me. I can be comfortably disciplined if I have something to fall back on, but it still sucks overall. I'm not buying mega-expensive stuff at least, but it's the principle of it, you know?
>>20690660
Yeah, I plan to avoid buying any liquor/liqueurs until I finish up most of this stuff. I usually only drink wine or sometimes beer, but recently bought three inexpensive spirits because I wanted to try them and see if I liked the experience. I liked all three, but still currently prefer to drink wine and beer, of which my stock is quite low.
>>
File: 20240721_015558.jpg (159 KB, 482x686)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>20690148
try looking for this instead. the difference overall is incredibly negligible.
>>
Crown Royal is good enough for me
>>
>>20690916
I like the little handle
>>
I recently got into whisky and I've tasted about a dozen different ones so far, enjoyed single malt scotches more than blended and bourbon. Any recommendations on widely available ones?
>>
>>20691670
Give a price range
>>
>>20690916
That looks really cool but even harder to find up here
>>
>>20689999
>>20691777
Buy a lottery ticket
>>
I bought a bottle of seagram VO and i regret it. Do all blended whiskeys taste like this? Just oak and water. How an i supposed to enjoy that? I remember drinking dalwhinnie a couple years back, but i don't remember it being such an uncomfortable drink. Do i mix seagram with cola?
>>
>>20691719
>Give a price range
I've mostly been ordering half sized tasting portions at decent bars and not buying entire bottles, so I guess the price/bottle can be anywhere between the cheaper 10ys to fairly pricy if you have good suggestions.
>>
>>20691860
Glenlivet 18
Ardbeg if you like peat
Laphroaig if you like iodine
>>
>>20691856
the higher the quantity, the lower the quality.
>>
>>20691856
>Do all blended whiskeys taste like this
obviously not
>>
>>20691874
Thanks for the recs. I've tried the 10 from both Ardbeg and Laphroaig before, the Ardberg was amazing and the Laphroaig was certainly unique. I'll have to keep an eye out for higher aged versions, but they seem to not be very common.
>>
>>20692190
don't go too old on the ardbeg, the uber aged 20+ year ones tend to lose the peat, at which point it stops tasking like ardbeg.

Highland park 12/15/18 are all good as well.
>>
>>20692207
I actually tried the H.P. 12 and 18 just yesterday, how's the 15 and the other ages? The difference in the flavors between 12 and 18 was pretty wild, almost hard to believe it's the same distillery. The 18 seemed to lose a lot of the smoke from 12, but the other flavors were so complex it felt like I wasn't meeting the level requirement to taste it all lol.
>>
>>20665094
>want to try a bit of peaty scotch
>smaller bottle
>don't really find any small bottles
>google Dewar's white label
>"very peaty, smoky"
>grab it
>see smaller bottles of scotch
>grab one impulsively and put the larger Dewar's back
>picrel

it's not bad but i hate being retarded
>>
>>20692190
Try the Wee Beastie from Ardbeg. It's their cheapest offering at 5 short years.

I was at an Ardbeg tasting and tried: Wee Beastie, 8 year, 10 year, Uigeadail, Corryvreckan, and OA. I liked Wee Beastie better than all the others. I fucking love it when my favorite offering is their cheapest option. I feel truly lucky.

Always remember that taste is personal and price points don't mean shit. That being said, Glenmorangie Signet is worth every bit of it's $300 price tag. If you get the chance to try that, don't pass it up. It's a magical celebration of complex chocolate.
>>
>>20692249
If you want to try something peated that's not a blend you'll probably have to drop some money on it
>>
>>20692258
I guess in this context it makes more sense to just go to a bar and try a few, doesn't it? Seems more pragmatic than buying a cheap bottle to get an idea what a more expensive bottle is like lol
>>
>>20692287
Probably. There's also the possibility you won't like peat so dumping $60 on a bottle will make you feel retarded if that happens.
>>
>>20692298
Sounds good. The Glenlivet is a good sipper anyway!
>>
>>20665094
I don't drink enough to care about quality that much. only thing I don't buy as cheap as possible is beer and that's because most cheap beers taste like ass.

for liquor I'll pretty much always go bottom shelf. ancient age whisky gets the job done just as well as any top shelf stuff. People who sip on fancy liquor are pretentious faggots
>>
>>20692255
>Always remember that taste is personal and price points don't mean shit
Yeah, I've noticed both already. The scents and flavors I pick out differ a lot from the adjectives described in more official sources, and the different distilleries stuff seems to age differently. Like the Ardberg 10 was maybe the third or second best one I've had so far and it's "only" aged 10 years.
>>
>>20691856
Blended whiskies often have a bad rep because the cheaper brands are all blended in order to maintain a signature taste.
That being said, there are many blended whiskies out there that are better than single malts. Shop around a little bit and you will find out
>>
i dont drink alcohol
>>
>>20692331
>I don't drink enough to care about quality that much.
>ancient age whisky gets the job done just as well as any top shelf stuff.
Why does "getting the job done" matter if you aren't drinking on the level of an alcoholic? You don't have a physical dependency on it so there's no reason not to give preference to things that taste better.
>>
>>20692331
>I don't drink enough to care about quality that much
That's exactly the situation you SHOULD care.

People that drink the most trend to drink the cheapest shit possible.

People who drink less trend to either not drink at all, or buy nicer expensive alcohol.
>>
File: IMG_2798.jpg (1.2 MB, 2009x2761)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
I’ve made progress

Captcha: TXASS
>>
File: IMG_2799.jpg (232 KB, 1242x780)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
>>20695722
>>
>>20695722
Don't forget the peanuts, desecrator.
>>
File: 20240722_185214.jpg (530 KB, 1489x1768)
530 KB
530 KB JPG
Made a simple cocktail. 90ml of scotch, some lemon juice frozen into ice chunks, small capfulls of both French vanilla and coconut 0-cal syrup, and topped with ginger kombucha + grapefruit seltzer. Didn't look pretty, but it was pleasant. Been riding it out since with some Terry Callier. Here's a track:
https://youtu.be/jv4cMq5SU5s
Let's listen to good music and keep the existential dread at bay, lads.
>>
>>20665094
People who put candy in their liquor are manchildren with no taste, but a herbal coughdrop left to dissolve in a shot of brandy makes a fine liqueur. It's for us mature adults, m'kay?
>>
is al/ck/ allowed again?
i wanna drink so bad but i just got out of prison
>>
>>20692369
One of my local stores stopped stocking Black Bull 100 Proof and that's got me feeling sad because I was never able to get it
>>
>>20695722
Try the new 10-year rye
>>
File: 20240723_121549_1.jpg (1.15 MB, 3003x2252)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
Took a ride into town today for supplies.
>>
hi,
I wanted to try out traditional absinthe drinks. Anyone has any experience with these? Are any brands better than others, or are some ones fake or watered down?

Right now I'm looking at a bottle of pic related, which is supposedly made to be as close to the original 19th century french recipe as possible. It also comes with an absinthe spoon which is how it used to be served (using it to melt a sugar cube into the drink).
>>
>>20697885
How long does 10.5L last you?
>>
>>20697963
I always have at least a case at home in case I can't get into town every two or three weeks. I dunno. I go through about 1/3rd to 1/2 of a 1.75l every other day.
>>
>>20697885
Any other bottles or is it just bacardi white for the next two weeks?
>>
>>20698005
I have 40 or so other bottles of things going back to the 90s but I rarely if ever touch them.
>>
>>20698040
Do people really keep open bottles laying around for more than a few months?
>>
File: 20240723_185444_1.jpg (1.58 MB, 4000x2252)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB JPG
>>20698057
Open? Sometimes. Not alot.
>>
File: 20240723_185459_1.jpg (1.6 MB, 4000x2252)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
It's a nice little collection. A quarter of the bottles are unique ones I got overseas on a trip. Not a very good two pics displaying them all but some of them are pretty good. They just never get touched really.
>>
I have 15 1.75l of bacardi in my house right now. 13 in my bar fridge, one in my kitchen freezer and one in my home theater freezer.
>>
>>20698070
surely there is something better value for your $$.
>>
>>20698251
I'm recently open to suggestions but I get case price and it's reasonably inexpensive at $17.99 each.
>>
File: 20240723_165912.jpg (1.64 MB, 2746x1908)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
Picked up some wines from a few brands a buddy of mine likes. Only one I have tried before is Apothic's Cab (which I liked a lot), so I dipped more into their brand in particular. Not rushing to drink them; this is mostly stocking up on bottles, but they should be interesting. I usually shop for budget wines (even lower than these), so I'm looking forward to setting evenings aside with some pairings and nicer stuff.
>>
>>20698297
I had their limited edition werewolf wine at a full moon cosplay party once.
>>
>>20698308
>werewolf wine
You mean from Apothic? I haven't heard of that before; how was it? I remember their Cab being well-balanced, with good dryness, cacao and I think blackberry/cherry notes or something, been a while. Hope for good things from Dark and Inferno. Kind of want to try their weird coffee one too someday if I find it anywhere, even if I'm guessing it'd be sweeter than I'd like. I appreciate a deep, dry, smooth wine either way. Though, can't help but keep digging through dirt cheap reds in search of cheap bang-for-buck hidden gems (Trader Joes has some okay ones). I got these at Ralph's (pic rel), total ended up being $45.31 for all six after all discounts and a coupon.
>>
>>20668266
>by crap like Jack Daniel's and Jim Beam, which only survive thanks to their marketing.
I like the Jim Beam Honey Bourbon, simple as. If you can find something better tasting at that price point, lemme know.
>>
>>20698866
All those flavoured whiskys are nasty
>>
File: Fever-Tree.png (527 KB, 700x644)
527 KB
527 KB PNG
After watching a few of this guys videos I've started drinking beefeater with fever tree tonic water. Probably the smoothest thing I've drunk in a while and finally got me to drink something other than vodka on a regular basis. I don't know how people stomach bourbon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-926ORYLU0g&ab_channel=NoNonsenseGinDrinking
>>
>>20672277
Usually really high proof stuff is best enjoyed with a few drops of water. It helps to release the aromatics or something, I don't really know the specifics but the guy at the guided whisky tasting I went to got into it.
>>
>>20700498
It really is a case by case basis

some are good with water, some aren't

I recommend trying straight first and then with a few drops of water. I wouldn't just default to ALWAYS putting water into my higher proof whisky
>>
I got burned out on bourbon and scotch. Right now I'm into trying to find rare mezcals with unique types of agaves used. Once the cooler months arrive, I'll probably switch back to whiskeys.
>>
>>20692249
Go for Highland Park 12. It doesn't break the bank at all and it's got just enough of the peat smoke to keep it interesting while also allowing all the other nuanced notes to come through. It literally ticks all the boxes. The 25 year old is legit my favorite scotch I've ever tried in my life.
>>
>>20700635
I just save up and wait for rare releases and then drink them alone and never talk about them with anyone.
>>
I'm getting drunk on 10% beer
>>
>>20698297
That stuff is mediocre at best even for its price point. Real gems that are bang for your buck great are Spanish and Portugese riojas and malbecs from South America. You can grab a bottle of either of those for 15 bucks and you'd think yoy spent 3x as much easily if it were Italian, French, or Californian.
>>
>>20697566
Going to the Party Store tomorrow in Detroit. Will post pix
>>
>>20700718
I've had enough Chilean, Spanish, and Argentinian wines recently. This is just me trying brands a mate of mine likes for fun. I could go to Trader Joes or TotalWines and get six bottles of inexpensive yet respectable bottles like you describe if I gave a rat's ass. I liked Apothic's Cab too.
>>
>>20700698
>The 25 year old is legit my favorite scotch I've ever tried in my life.
NTA, but how would you say the older Highland Parks are like? The highest I've had is 18.
>>
>>20665094
How do you guys hide your drinking from your wives? I had to switch from beer to clear liquor and it's hard to hide the smell still. I also have to do it late at night after she falls asleep.
>>
>>20702005
I've never been in a relationship so I can't give advice on that, but I lucked out in the fact that family decided it was easier to ignore the fact that I was comfortable talking about suicide in before I hit high school than actually intervene in the absolute nightmare that is my life. Just frame it as you "broadening your taste" or some shit and hope that they don't love you enough to stage an intervention or some shit
>>
>>20697920
The only country that has a legal definition of what absinthe is, is Switzerland, the country of origin. All other absinthes are prepared differently (maceration or distillation, different herbs, and different alcohol levels from 45 up to 75%). Swiss absinthes are often clear because they continued producing it after the ban to evade control. Val-de-Travers absinthe is highly regarded.
"Le Chat" brand never ceased production: https://www.absinthemarket.com/produit/le-chat-bovet-la-valote-100cl/
This one follows a 1903 recipe: https://www.absinthemarket.com/produit/absinthe-des-poetes-70cl/
>>
>>20665094
i only drink eau do cologne
>>
>>20688607
>>20688708
Because there's law that requires the producers to tell you what ingredients they use. It's cancerous horseshit.
>>
>>20700498
>>20700514
Your whisky is best at 25% ABV, short explanation: https://www.sciencefocus.com/science/why-does-a-drop-of-water-make-whisky-taste-better
>>
I drank alot of liquor last night and also drank 5 of those costco brand 5 hour energies. Helped me stay up late so I could watch television but now I feel kinda bad.
>>
>>20702052
lol no one dilutes their whisky to 25% ABV.
>>
>>20702032
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that one is not available here. We mostly have Tunel (spanish, but they have many types), La Fée (french, they also have many types), Rodnik (spanish), Hapspurg Extra Strong (UK), Pernod Ricard (french) and Mr. Jekyll (german).

Ordering from switzerland won't work, since it'll get taxed by the European Soviet Union. So I'd have to buy local, and from what I've seen La Fée was the most decent choice, they have french (parisienne) and czech (bohemian) types.
>>
Correction, I felt really bad drinking liquor and lots of generic five hour energies. I am doing some better now but I almost threw up since I ate a big thing of fish sticks apparently last night too... somehow.
>>
>>20702142
You can easily order from Switzerland unless you live in one of the beer producing countries of the EU. Their (our) local, national beer lobbies block liquor, not the EU. Spain and Portugal have decent absinth as well.
>>
>>20700377
I feel the exact opposite. Gin is disgusting to me but bourbon is enjoyable.
>>
>>20702130
Not him but that's probably about what happens eventually if you throw some ice in the glass.
>>
>>20702947
No

I have some 131 proof whisky at the moment, ~65% ABV. It would take quite a bit of water to get that down to 25%. If you had 50ml of whisky you'd need to add 80ml of water to get it down to 25%. No one is adding almost twice as much water as whisky.
>>
>>20702966
>I have some 131 proof whisky at the moment,
I have some kind of stomach virus and can't think straight enough to do math but it might be better to think of this exercise in relation to an 80 or 90 proof whiskey.
>>
>>20702977
A lot of the bourbon market and scotch market these days is cask strength, barrel proof, single barrel, straight from the barrel, whatever you want to call it. And is much higher than 80-90 proof.

Not to mention plenty of cheap bottled in bond bourbon that is 100 proof.

Hell, even at "just" 100 proof you're looking at adding 50ml of water per 50ml of whisky for a 25% ABV, and again, no one is putting half water into their whisky.
>>
>>20703069
Are you trying to imply that lower proof whiskey is not very common? Not everyone drinks high proof bottles.
>>
>>20703270
Even at 40%, most people aren't going to water it down to 25%, even for people who like water in their whisky.
>>
File: 1669081616930416.jpg (29 KB, 442x494)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>try to find dirt cheap peat scotch
>discover why you shouldn't
It literally tastes like a chemical version of what people think peat is meant to taste like.
>>
>>20703468
Ardbeg 5 is generally my go-to, I won't go cheaper.
>>
File: 1721398703704859.gif (106 KB, 600x600)
106 KB
106 KB GIF
Who's more annoying? Alchies or weed heads?
>>
>>20703530
You for asking this question
>>
>>20703530
Potheads. Alchies are content to sit on their couch and drink by themselves, potheads smoke literally all the time and will make sure you know it, and think they're smart and cool(they never are).
>>
>>20682163
yeah 12 is only for sipping i think. 8 is good for a rum and coke. There are some reviewers who say 'bacardi caribbean spiced' is not that great, but i absolutely love having it in a rum&coke or on the rocks. Also have a chairman reseved spiced i still have to open, maybe in a few months.
>>
>Pappy 15
>2 oz in a pint glass
>Fill glass with ice
>Fill glass with water
Mmm....
>>
>>20702005
>wives
>>
>>20702580
It's not that it's blocked, it's that they put extra tax + import fees on anything I order from outside the EU bigger than 5€ gadgets. And that would easily double the price. At that rate it wouldn't be worth it since I may not even like the drink, I just want to try it out first.
>>
>>20665094
I won a raffle at the liquor store last year and was able to buy a bottle of Stagg at list price AMA
>>
>>20703983
Nice, I had a choice between Stagg, Weller Special Reserve, or an 8 year Willett purple top (all at MSRP) and went with the Willett. I'm trying to get a Stagg next though.
>>
>>20703999
nice get

it was great, highly recommend if you get a chance to buy it at list price
>>
>>20704056
My local store has monthly releases (first come first served) and 2-3 time yearly lottery releases. Stagg is usually available at least 2-3 times during the monthly releases throughout the year and is a staple in the lottery releases, so I've got opportunities.
>>
>>20665094
Good thread, lasted 2 weeks.
>>
>>20685914
Check out whiz kalifa over here!
>like a pirate :)
Kino!
>>
>>20685914
Regular Bombay is better

You just like sapphire because it's a meme (and higher abv). Also sapphire is pussy-gin since it's got muted floral elements, the whole point of gin vs vodka is the floral elements, regular Bombay at least tastes like gin is supposed to. Sapphire is good in nu-age mixed drinks because it won't overpower the mixer.
>>
goodnight sweet prince

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.