[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is it actually safe to microwave these "microwaveable" plastic food storage containers?
>>
Micro-Plastics ge stored in the balls
>>
>>20691382
Define safe.
They still give off microplastics and last time i checked all microwave safe tupperware give microplastics especially when heated. And they will still start to melt and give you super microplastics if you put it in for too long

But the health effects of microplastics is still up in the air for debate. I mean mesh repairs in surgery are very common and they almost all use plastic meshs. Putting plastic directly into your body.
>>
>>20691384
why has general electric done this to us
>>
>>20691382
>uses a microwave
>thinks plastic is the problem
ngmi
>>
>>20691399
What do you mean by this
>>
>>20691382
yes
>>
It's only "safe" in the sense that it doesn't result in any negative health defects. However, you stand a significantly increased risk of being lectured about it from paranoid dumbasses. So there's still some risk involved.
>>
>>20691390
>mesh repairs in surgery are very common and they almost all use plastic meshs. Putting plastic directly into your body
That doesn't mean they aren't harmful, just that minor endocrine disruption is better than having your organs fall out.
>>
>>20691412
He means, yes it's perfectly safe and effective, keep doing it.
>>
There's no evidence that microplastic actually causes any harm
>>
>>20691412
microwaves irradiate your food and cause cancer
>>
>>20691576
Believing this is the same as believing if your home uses nuclear power from a power plant the magical radiation has traveled to you through the power lines.
>>
>>20691575
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9885170/
>there is growing evidence for ingested microplastics bioaccumulation in mammalian tissues and organs with deleterious outcomes including endocrine abnormalities, reproductive toxicity, gut microbiota dysbiosis, and defective immunological responses
>>
>>20691578
>if your home uses nuclear power from a power plant the magical radiation has traveled to you through the power lines
It does. That's why I only use coal power. I don't want nuclear powered lightbulbs giving me cancer either, but you're welcome to die if you want.
>>
>>20691575
I'm 100% it's a false flag propaganda perpetrated by Big Plastic himself. They've already sold everyone a shitton of plastic containers so nobody's buying more plastic shit anymore. So now they're convincing people that the old plastics are bad, and then watch how in 2-3 years they'll come up with a new "superplastic" that doesn't shed microplastics so they can sell people a bunch of new plastic containers.
>>
>>20691598
I'm 100% you're retarded
>>
>>20691382
plastic not so much
but silicon might/should be fine
>>
>>20691382
we know that when plastic is heated, it leaches a ton crap, that most likely is not good for you. until we know more, it is a good idea to avoid using plastics at cooking temperatures.
>>
>>20691382
You should be buying the glass ones anyway
>>
>>20692644
Probably not very safe anon, I would opt for glass or like using a plate or something to reheat the food
>Inb4 people say the microwave is bad
>>
>>20692998
>Probably not very safe
>I would opt for glass
Regardless, the microwave is pretty bad and mainly for lazy fucks like me.
>>
>>20691382
No
It’s not safe
>>
>>20691382
they're "safe" as in they won't poison or instantly feminize you but I believe that like fda standards which have "allowable" levels of contaminants they almost definitely release some amount of potentially harmful chemicals.

Use glass containers in the microwave.
>>
>>20691382
It doesn't matter. Every step the food took to get you laced it with plastics, chemicals and feces anyway.
>>
>>20693353
this, you're already doomed when you resort to buy shitty, premade meals.
>>
>>20691390
>last time i checked
The last time you listened to the Joe Rogan podcast?
>>
>>20691382
>Is it safe
Yes, but can cause health issues potentially down the road. Better to not use them to re-heat food in, and instead opt to dump the food out on a plate, then re-heat in the microwave.
Food storage containors are just that. Something to store food in. Not really to cook in.
>>
>>20691382
>Is it actually safe to microwave these "microwaveable" plastic food storage containers?
They look kind of low end. Are they BPA free?

The safer idea would be pyrex on the bottom, with a lock n lock lid. Cover to prevent splatters, or buy the vented lid versions.
>>
>>20694107
Oh my Fauci!! Listen to the science goyim!
>>
its safe to put just about anything in the microwave, i was always told dont put metal and styrofoam and plastic wrap and all this in the microwave but then did it and as usual nothing happens. don't put ping pong balls in there though, thats the only thing thats actually caught fire. blah blah microplastics blah blah blah shut up, paranoid people are lame and gay.
>>
I usually heat things up on in glass or ceramic plates because it heats better but I dont give a fuck if its plastic and says its microwave safe. Fuck it. Everything we eat, drink, breathe, bathe in is cancer anyway.
>>
>>20691382
I don't trust like that.
>>
>>20691592
Enjoy your long uneventful life of seething on the internet. Once you finally croak how many weeks do you think it will take before anyone realizes you're gone?
>>
File: 1498161624379.jpg (12 KB, 279x181)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>20694131
>>20694107
You don't seriously believe this, right?
>>
>>20691382
Microwaving isn't safe, you're getting radiation on your food
Microwaving on a paper plate isn't safe, you're getting micropaper in your food
Using an pot/pan isn't safe because you're getting micrometals in your food
Using the oven isn't safe you're getting carcinogens in your food

Nothing is fucking safe and I guarantee if it's food you've chosen to microwave, the food itself isn't exactly the healthy type/has developed trace amount of bacteria already.

tldr everything is unhealthy and you don't eat healthy anyway so it doesn't matter
>>
>>20691382
Definitely don't use it on full power to heat food. If you reheat for, say, 6 minutes at 30% power, it'll less likely melt the plastic. Also, read the fine print of your plastic: a lot of them say they can only be used 12 times or so.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.