[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: lubing it up.jpg (369 KB, 2997x2000)
369 KB
369 KB JPG
Iron pan. Best oil to lube it up in oven ("season")? Canola wears out in a month or two.
>>
>>20693954
COCONUT
>>
>>20693954
Season means to coat in plastic.
>>
>>20693954
Unironically, Crisco.
Even Alton Brown agrees.
>>
>>20693965
>Use a non stick
lol, those also last for a month or two until the coating starts to lose its power but you can't fix it. It also flakes and gotta be careful with the heat and can't use metal or hard wood even. Biggest scam on the market.
>>
Use cod liver oil, it will make everything you cook more nutritious.
>>
>>20693954
10W-30
>>
>>20693954
the best way to use a cast iron pan is to use bacon grease or butter and only wipe it out.

cleaning it only when you really have to. with soap water and a plastic scrub pad.
>>
>>20693965
yes use a non stick so you can grow breast from the endocrine disruptors, become a trap and not reproduce thanks
>>
Butter seems to work better than oil.
>>
>>20694072
Ah yes. I love old dried up food particles and oil the next time I cook. For my cast iron and woks. I do all the other dishes first and in a fresh sink use only water and a dedicated scrubber to get rid of all the debris, hand dry and reapply a fresh layer of neutral oil before storage. Works like a charm.
>>
>>20693969
You can use any vegetable shortening, doesn't have to be brand name.
>>
>>20693969
as opposed to ironically? do you even know what that means?
>>
File: 1685441406258577.jpg (16 KB, 427x427)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>20694417
Unironically, no.
>>
>>20694457
Ironically, yes
>>
>>20693954
I dont understand this scam. You have to keep wasting oil to season the pan constantly. why. It just seems like a waste of effort and money. I'll stick with ceramic thank you.
>>
>>20693954
Beef tallow
>>
>>20694537
You only need like 1 spoon of oil and do it every few weeks depending on how much you cook, takes about 2 hours of which 1h45min is just pan in oven
>>
canola is engine oil
>>
File: 64541654.jpg (67 KB, 1000x1000)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
if i season a cast iron pot with a thousand fucking layers, will it prevent rust if it permanently holds water?
depending on your answer i might do a rust boil pre seasoning for real good adhesion and no its not meant for food processing, just dont want to handle with anti freeze all the time
>>
>>20694963
maybe in 1980s east germany 1:25 2 stroke shitboxes
engines have way higher demands from oil than canola could ever provide
>>
>>20695161
Theoretically it should, if there are many layers of seasoning over all the interior surface. That being said, if there's any path of contact whatsoever through that seasoning no matter how small, water is going to win out.
>>
Okay, am I retarded?
I've literally never seasoned my Lodge cast iron and have had it for years.
If it ever gets dry from cooking something I just add butter/oil/ghee/wd40 to it and cook on.
I never clean it or rinse it.
I just cook on it and let it sit then cook on it again.
Nothing ever sticks as long as I coat any dry spots and I've never gotten sick.
The absolute most I'll do is scrape out old burnt seasoning/remnants of food.
My buddy seasons his like every month and I just don't understand how it gets so dry it's unusable.
>>
>>20693954
i gave up and just boil everything in water now
>>
>>20695836
Plebs and grandmas who cant lift cast iron believe in the “seasoned” myth

Real cooks will roast their pan at 600F for several hours to clean it and just constantly latter it in oil of any type, it makes no difference

If you had a campfire best way to clean cast iron in throw it in the fire
Pussies will say it warps but it’s impossible to damage cast iron
>>
>>20695797
Lodge sprays their pans with electrostatic cooking oil much like car companies so you are guaranteed seasoning for up to two years

Biggest innovation in cast iron in 200 years
>>
>>20695845
I've seen it get dry before but what's stopping people from just adding more oil to it?
How is heating it up in the oven with oil on it different than heating it up on the stove top with oil on it?
>>
>>20693954
just give it a light brush of oil after every use
>>
>>20695905
No they use electrolysis to coat their pans in cooking oil
They hook the pan up to electricity spray a oil mist with inverted polarity to the cast iron skillet and the oil magically attaches to the cast iron and really sticks in there
>>
>>20695958
So you're telling me I don't need to do an amature season job to my new lodge pan before ever using it?
>>
>>20696993
Nta but yes. Though I burned off all seasoning on mine twice, and just doing >>20695797 is enough to re-season it. Just cook with it it's not hard.
>>
>>20695797
>wd40
lololol!
Even if it IS mostly fish oils
ISHYGDDT
I personally like 3-in-1, you can actually FEEL the cancer creep through you like a little nibbling mouse.
>>
>>20697088
What about PB Blaster?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.