[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How do I make the perfect biscuit? Mine are always a bit fall aparty or crumbly, how do I get that perfect firm on the outside soft on the inside biscuit that is a little dry so it absorbs the gravy well? What is your recipe?
>>
What the FUCK is that?
>>
>>20696483
>Mine are always a bit fall aparty or crumbly, how do I get that perfect firm on the outside soft on the inside
experimentation. there will undoubtedly be some tweaks to your recipe that would improve matters, but they'll depend on your ingredients and relative humidity more so than a prescribed methodology.

that is; make a big batch of dough, divide into 3 or 4, bake 3 or 4 batches adjusting the oven time until you get closer to what you want. then start tweaking your recipe to get closer still. you'll ultimately need to experiment because of the variable nature of your ingredients, your oven and your environment.
>>
>>20696483
Just buy a tube of them. These ones from Trader Joe's are perfect as is, they're as good as the best from scratch ones I've ever had.
It's one of those things like ketchup or sauerkraut that aren't much better when made from scratch as opposed to store bought.
>>
Use a softer flour like white lily.
>>
>>20696487
>Sausage-Gravy-and-Biscuits-SQ-2.jpg
Gee I wonder.
>>
>>20696483
I make bisquick drop biscuits because they are fast. Even the heart healthy version with a touch of whole wheat has a nice flavor. But, also because the browned nooks and crannies of the top of a drop biscuit are amazing with sausage gravy. I actually like that they are a bit crumbly. In other words, I can't be bothered to roll them out. When you make the biscuit with half n half vs milk, they end up more tender and soft inside. So the butterfat helps in that regard. Try looking at your recipe, and know restaurants are making probably more like angel biscuits, some yeast leavening included.
>>
>>20696483
try adding melted lard to the mixture
>>
>>20696483
>How do I make the perfect biscuit?
Repetition. Make small batches every day for 10,000 hours. That's literally how biscuits got good in the first place. Everything you need to learn, from the big points to subtle touches that almost can't be taught, you will figure out along the way. There are no shortcuts to experience.
>>
>>20696483
Stir the dough a few more times to develop a touch more gluten. The number of times the biscuit dough is stirred after you add the milk is one of the most critical factors that makes a good biscuit. Next time you make them, count how many times you stir, then adjust from there. Make sure you use the same size spoon or the same whisk each time you make them, to keep things consistent.
>>
>>20696681
>stir
>>
>>20696686
Yes. Now kindly fuck off child, the adults are talking.
>>
>>20696699
You post like an ESL foreigner.
>>
>>20696715
Bloody bastard, you don't know your foot from your hand, now go out from here!
>>
>>20696718
lol
>>
not op but i’ve been making biscuits and they’ve been getting better and better BUT the tops are always super lumpy and bumpy like drop biscuits. how the hell do i get smooth flat tops? i’ve googled this and literally found no answers
>>
>>20696483
>>20696516
>these are biscuits

Do Americans really?
>>
>>20696715
>you post like an esl screeched the incel who's only ever made whop biscuits
>>
>>20696737
Stop acting like you aren't terminally negatively obsessed with everything Americans do.
>>
>>20696730
>how the hell do i get smooth flat tops
after you cut out your biscuits, put them in the pan upside-down, so the side that was flattened against the table is now on top.
>>
File: Chocolate-Pudding.jpg (35 KB, 450x524)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>20696737
I'm just as confused when I hear "black pudding made with blood", I picture a chocolate custard dessert with pork blood mixed in and instinctually gag.
>>
>>20696747
Funnily enough, your bloody chocolate custard nightmare is better than the crawling excrescence that is the real thing.
>>
>>20696746
can’t believe i didn’t think of something so simple. doing that today.
>>
God I hate non-Americans. I wish your tyrannical rulers would have just gassed you all instead of forcing you all on to American social media and going the slow-kill route.
>>
>>20696786
Settle down Pablo
>>
Even your insults are boring and irrelevant.
>>
>>20696792
Dios mio por favour
>>
There's no "u" in por favor, you feckless cringe foreign weirdo. Everything you do is awkward and uncool. It's why you grew up consuming American low culture in the first place. You can't even manage an insult and you wonder why Americans dominate you so completely.
>>
>>20696804
Thanks for confirming you're a spic Pablo. Fucking moron kek.
>>
>>20696804
Hola señor !
>>
Nice samefagging. Don't have to be a spic to know how to spell. Not adding extra gay u's to your words would get you 90% there, foreigner.
>>
>>20696804
Sheit dis nigga rite. I'm finna start twerkin' agin
>>
>>20696820
Ah yeah. Can you write this out in your superior way of spelling:

I realise that I'm wise to the demise and to summarise I'm surprised
>>
>>20696841
The only one we'd change is 'summarize.'
>>
>>20696841
Lowkey i found out im locked in to losing an so basically im shook
>>
>>20696943
I thought it was realize as well for some reason
>>
450° oven
100% 275g white lily or other soft winter wheat self rising flour
62% 170g milk
22% 60g lard

add lard to flour and break up in to pea sized pieces.
add milk just bring together and do not knead.
fold and flatten 5 times (no more).
on last flatten make the size of biscuits you want.
place on baking sheet.
push thumb in center of each biscuit
place butter in thumb print.
bake until tops are medium brown.
wait 30 minutes to eat. if you eat them too soon they will be slightly gummy inside.
>>
>>20696584
>bisquick drop biscuits
Unironically these have always turned out well for me, got that slight crunch outside but soft inside you’re describing OP. Just make sure you get the regular bisquick and not the pancake specific mix (which is sweetened)
>>
>>20697555
those suck. they fall apart and taste like uncooked flour.
>>
>>20697842
skill issue
>>
>>20698330
nah
>>
File: biscuit.png (115 KB, 688x574)
115 KB
115 KB PNG
Found this recipe here some time ago but I haven't tried it yet
>>
File: buttermilk-biscuits-1.jpg (192 KB, 1200x1798)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
Alabamian here. Let me give you some tips.

>all of your dairy MUST be cold
>use cold buttermilk and cold or even frozen butter
>if you use normal refrigerated butter, cut it into the smallest cubes you can, then put it back in the fridge
>if you freeze it, use a box grater
>incorporate the butter into the flour with your hands
>cut the biscuits, put them on the tray, then put them in the fridge or freezer to get very cold
>take them out, brush with butter, then immediately into the oven
>let them sit for a little bit before you cut them after you take them out of the oven

Also what the other anons said about being careful how much you fold them is definitely true. Don't work them too much. Also, don't do drop biscuits if you don't want them to be crumbly. Drop biscuits are great, don't get me wrong, but they won't give you those photogenic, structured biscuits.

Also, this is a different style of biscuit, but try this recipe: https://deepfriedkudzu.com/2011/09/hallelujah-biscuits.html/

Basically, you preheat a cast-iron skillet in the oven, add a shitton of butter into the skillet right before adding the dough, then add your dough and bake. It gets a nice, buttery, crisp bottom, and they get tall and fluffy. The biscuits kind of bake into one another, so they don't have that perfect look you get with cut-out biscuits, but the texture and flavor is absolutely perfect for me as a biscuit connoisseur.

Happy biscuit making, anon.
>>
>>20696516
Do not listen to this anon
>>
>>20698330
no they suck and you like eating crappy biscuits.
>>
Shave a srick of butter with a cheese grater and add it to the dough
>>
>>20696483
>always a bit fall aparty or crumbly
Knead the dough more.

>that is a little dry so it absorbs the gravy well
Bake them slightly longer to dry them out.
>>
Best biscuits I have ever had
https://www.dessertnowdinnerlater.com/foolproof-flaky-biscuits/
>>
>>20696483
Making biscuits from scratch was exactly like making tortillas from scratch; a very time consuming and difficult process for results only marginally better than premade. If you wanna do it for fun, by all means. But if you just want a good biscuit, find a good tube variety. Personally, I find Pillsbury makes a very serviceable biscuit
>>
File: biden stare.jpg (24 KB, 579x515)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>20697513
for gods sake who the fuck taught you to use the percent sign like that
>>
>>20696483
It's a scone Luigi, you didn't bake it!
>>
>>20701184
You just outed yourself as a bakelet, embarrassing.
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/pro/reference/bakers-percentage
>>
>>20701184
>doesn't know bakers percentages

Fuckin retard
>>
>>20701188
>>20701214
>bro 184% bread that's like 84% bonus amount free
Don't listen to retardphobes, your lived experience is as valid as everyone's.
>>
2 cups White Lily self rising
1 stick butter
1 cup buttermilk

Shred all except 1TBS of the stick of butter with a cheese grater. Mix it into the flour. Add buttermilk. Stir with a spatula or big spoon, like 15 times. Do not overmix. Dump out on lightly floured surface. Lightly flour the top. Press dough with hand to an inch thick. Use cutter to make into biscuits. Put side to side in a tin pie plate. Melt remaining TBS of butter in a cup in the microwave. Brush tops with melted butter. Bake in preheated 500f oven for 10-15 minutes. Brush with butter again after taking them out.

Only biscuit recipe you will ever need.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.