[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

just got a rice cooker, which is exciting because my stove is literal dogshit and i cannot cook rice on it properly because of how much the burner temp fluctuates even on the lowest possible setting
what kind of rice should i go get/what dish should i make to go with/on the rice
>>
>>20696564
Cool. Rice cookers are great.
But you can also make rice in the oven. I've baked rice many times and it's perfect and foolproof, only it heats up the kitchen.
>>
File: 1614297269538.webm (2.75 MB, 1000x562)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB WEBM
>>
File: bObIAAjxAf.jpg (486 KB, 2048x1536)
486 KB
486 KB JPG
>>
>>20696564
>what kind of rice should i go get
ST25 if you can get it for an affordable price.
>>
>>20696564
mm, if I had a rice cooker, I'd make some perfect brown rice, which is even fussier stovetop, requiring more water.
>>
>>20696626
>ST25 if you can get it for an affordable price.
oh interesting, i've never heard of that before, it looks good
>>
File: aAAAivJB.jpg (1.36 MB, 3072x4096)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
Shrimp pilaf [ST25 rice]
>>
>>20696572
this, baked rice is easy as fuck and even better than a rice cooker, and doesnt involve teflon coating
>>
File: bMAIjeCs.jpg (462 KB, 2048x1428)
462 KB
462 KB JPG
>>
>>20696673
>baked rice
my grandmother made a casserole of wild and brown rice, with beef consomme and mushrooms every Thanksgiving or with steak dinners, and it was always amazing and perfectly done. Fluffy and toothsome at the same time.
>>
File: AAjq2o.jpg (1.18 MB, 4096x3072)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
>>
File: agAIxBcT.jpg (565 KB, 2048x1803)
565 KB
565 KB JPG
>>
>>20696721
Is that kabsa
>>
>>20696705
ill have to try that, it sounds kino
>>
File: IAA1WH_.jpg (137 KB, 1500x1001)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>
File: kAA_no7.jpg (337 KB, 1536x2048)
337 KB
337 KB JPG
>>
>>20696564
Jasmine is the GOAT rice
>>
>>20696564
try brown rice and see if you like it. I think it's healthier.
>>
File: GTAJZEQb.jpg (274 KB, 2048x1536)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
>>
Hello once again Zoji friends
>>
I eat my rice with yogurt
>>
>>20696564
Try quinoa. 2.5 cups of water to 1 cup quinoa. Comes out super fluffy and delicious. :D
>>
>>20696564
What zoji should i buy thats cheap and works? Im a retard
>>
>>20698751
The Neuro Fuzzy unit is the cheapest widely recommended unit. I've seen someone on here say that their cheaper made in China unit is just as reliable, but the general concensus is to stick to made in Japan units. Up to you if the risk is worth it but made in Japan units last forever so it's worth leaping for if you're interested
>>
>>20696601
I miss sayuringo
>>
File: 1614300435415.webm (2.79 MB, 1000x562)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB WEBM
>>
>>20696630
I find the opposite. It's much more forgiving and you're less likely to end up with rice that's overcooked or too wet.
>>
>>20698751
You could use a Japanese goods export service to get it.
The fee is about $60.
However, I do not recommend cheap Zojirushi products because they are manufactured in China.
I recommend Hitachi, which is made in Japan.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0B749PPQK/
>>
>>20696564
Nice. For me Nishiki is good for a widely available rice, maybe go simple for the first batch and do fried egg and fried spam, or maybe kimchi and polish sausage.

Also be ready to have to adjust your water level a few times until you’re satisfied with the texture.

>>20698418
Based quinoa eater, much healthier
>>
>>20699060
Is there any equivalent with a stainless steel inner pot, without "nonstick" goychems?
>>
>>20700304
Unfortunately not from Zoji. There are similar brands that offer them, though they're not too common and I'm unsure which offhand. I think it might be Cuckoo? Or Philips, dunno
>>
>>20700304
theres some options for ceramic coated bowls and i imagine theres possibly some aftermarket stainless steel options but not sure
>>
>>20696721
qrd?
I've been to scared to put raw meat in my rice cooker because I don't know if the robot will know how long to cook the meat.
>>
>>20700304
>without "nonstick" goychems?
The pot never goes above 100C, there's never any friction inside it as the rice doesn't really move, and you won't even be stirring it.

The amount of nonstick that would leech into the food is absolutely minimal, there's a near infinite list of other sources of goychems you should worry about before this.
>>
>>20700304
Closest thing I've found is the small size Instant Pot.
>>
I typically cook jasmine or basmati 50/50. How are rice cookers for basmati in particular?

On a side note the last few bags of basmati I've used from different brands have all been kinda shit quality, like it went downhill compared to how it used to be. I tried Akash (awful), Laila, and Kohinoor Gold. I remember basmati rice in the past being lovely long separate grains with a subtle aroma and flavour and now every bag is full of broken grains that ends up crap no matter how you cook it.

Any recommendations for good basmati in the UK?
>>
>>20701583
>it went downhill compared to how it used to be.
Keep trying different brands. I usually buy Publix or Vigo I think. The Vigo bag states "aged" which enhances flavor, but I think they are similar. I didn't have an issue with Aldi brand, either, iirc.
>>
>>20701583
>How are rice cookers for basmati in particular?
Get an Iranian one made for it or don't bother. Basmati (or Hashemi, Tarom, etc) are very easy to cook anyway.
>wash 2-3 times
>soak 2-3 hours
>drain
>boil in salted water 4-6 minutes
>drain
>put some ghee in the bottom of the pot
>dump rice on top, put heat to low, lid on
>make some small wells in the rice with the handle of a spoon
>10-20 minutes depending on how crispy you like the bottom
>done
Almost impossible to fuck up, always comes out perfect.
>Any recommendations for good basmati in the UK?
Not in the UK and can't recommend specific brands, I'd steer clear from big brands anyway. Find some wog shop (Paki, Iranian, Indian, whatever) and buy the big 5kg cloth bags, that's what I do and it's hard to go wrong with them. Try to find sella/sela if you can.

Also Iranian Tarom rice (it's a type of rice, not a brand) is great but will be a lot more expensive than basmati.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-ZCC10-Uncooked-Premium-1-0-Liter/dp/B00007J5U7
How do you know if this shit is made in japan or china?
>>
>>20703525
that model is made in japan
scroll down to the product specifications table and look for country of origin, the 3 cup micom model is made in china, for example
>>
>>20703540
okay i figured, i just wanted to make sure that this specific model is made in japan thanks.
>>
>>20701070
>ceramic coated
"ceramic" is usually just another variety of non-stick bullshit
>>
>>20703548
Take your schizo rambling back to your shit board you fuckin tourist
>>
I tried putting spices in the water when I cooked my rice once and they just ended up getting stuck in the steam release holes of the cooker.

Can you make non-plain rice in these things or do you just have to do all the extra shit afterwards?
>>
>>20703544
It's an old-school rice cooker, so most of the parts are probably made in China.
Probably, the parts are inspected and assembled in Japan to reduce defective products.
Zojirushi and Tiger do not want their technology stolen, so they separate assembly in Japan and assembly in China depending on the model.
Currently, Mitsubishi and Hitachi are the only assembly companies in Japan.
>>
>>20703601
I’m no expert but it does get pretty bubbly in there, so the add-ins have to be a little heavy (at least heavy enough not to float) such as beans or garlic. Also broth works too.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.