[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1716381809423592.png (667 KB, 600x450)
667 KB
667 KB PNG
I got turnips (I think). Never ate them before, let alone cooked with them. What do?
>>
add them to stews i guess
>>
Those biguns look like rutabaga AKA swede. They're more bitter than turnips and it becomes much more apparent upon cooking.
Both can be peeled and ribboned raw as a salad vegetable but turnips are the main ingredient in one of my favourite soups, turnip bisque. Simple af to make, too. Boil an equal weight of turnip and onion in a mix of strong vegetable broth and plain milk with a bit of butter and either some instant rice or the white breadcrumbs (the untoasted, inner parts of stale bread and boil it all together into the turnip is softened completely then just puree it all smooth.
Finally, stir in some dill and/or sweet parsley and serve with croutons or ham-and-butter sandwich on crusty bread for dipping.
Option 2: neeps and tatties. Boil swede with potatoes until both are mashable then mash with lots of butter or, better yet, melted bacon fat. Great as a side to a beef, lamb or mutton roast and a traditional side to haggis on Burns Night. I suppose you can use turnip instead of swede, if you'd prefer, or mix the two.
>>
>>20697542
They're very convenient for cramming because they come out of the ground shaped like buttplugs
>>
File: 1704985175646385.jpg (26 KB, 287x309)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>20697613
Thanks, I'm going to try your bisque recipe.
>>
Throw them at Shyguys.
>>
>>20697542
Mashed kohlrabi. Those two in the front are kohlrabi and mashed kohlrabi is the thinking mans mashed potatoes.

Cut them into smaller pieces and remove the outer layer. Then mash them and generously use butter and cream as well as salt, pepper and nutmeg. I eat this a lot during fall and winter in Norway, usually with salted lamb
>>
Similar to the norwegian one the anon just posted the Swedish rotmos is also a good way to use them. Basically use a 25-35% rutabaga and the rest is a 1-1 ratio of carrots and potatoes. They are pretty sharp so mixing them out with carrots and potatoes makes it more mellow. Great with salted pork belly, slow cooked or boiled hocks, sausage or any other salty meat
>>
>>20697651
Giggle giggle squeak.
>>20697636
Welcome. If you have a scale, the way I make it is too put the turnips and onion into a pot to weigh it out. For every 200g total (IE 100g each veg), add 7g instant rice or white bread crumbs, a knob of butter and enough liquid to add up to 500g. If using stock cubes instead of vegetable broth, you can go 50/50 milk and water.
Bring to the boil, lower the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until soft. That's literally all there is to it besides pureeing and, potentially, straining for the absolute smoothest soup possible before adding the herbs and serving. You can use regular bread crumbs, but the soup will come grey rather than a pleasantly off-white, almost buttery colour.
>>20697665
>kohlrabi
You've gotten kohlrabi and rutabaga confused. The ones closer to the camera are rutabaga, not kohlrabi. Kohlrabi is green because it's literally just a swollen broccoli stem. It's not a root, unlike swede/rutabaga and turnip.
>>
>>20697813
Oh shit. We just call it kålrabi in Norway, but apparantly kohlrabi is somehow not the same as kålrabi. Rutebaga would be correct apparantly yes
>>
>>20697836
I did not know this about Norwegian. Neat.
Yeah, I'm from Italy and our word for it is navone which just means "big turnip" while kohlrabi is cavolo rapa, literally "cabbage root," despite it being neither cabbage nor a root. Languages are weird, especially when you translate food between them.
>>
File: IMG_9521a.jpg (1.25 MB, 1999x1499)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
>>20697542
>Bake 'EM, Boil 'EM, Put 'EM inna Stuuuuuu...
you have a great opportunity here, anon, to widen your horizons.
Take ¼ of one and matchstick it--Put that in a smol salad.(I shouldn't have to say this, but PELL it first.
Then try cutting them up into rough 1'' cubes, (no need to peel, just wash,)dump 'em into a ziplock bag with olive oil, garlic pow. and whatever other spices YOU like on Taters.
bake for 45 mins at 450°F..
Wa-LA.
next time try 'EM inna stewwww..
>>
>>20697836
>Rutebaga would be correct apparantly yes
YES.
>>
File: 1707481976478423.png (344 KB, 372x502)
344 KB
344 KB PNG
Are these turnips or rutebaga? I never even heard of rutebaga before.
>>
>>20697956
Looks like rutabaga, yes. They're pretty rare outside of the nordic countries. If you peel the outer layer and the inside is yellow or a little orange that's definitely it
>>
File: 1719828945204725.jpg (26 KB, 500x600)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>20697935
For some reason I find this upsetting. They ought to be underground like proper root vegetables.
>>
>>20697984
Well that's the thing. They're not root vegetables they're a kind of cabbage so it's more in the family of cauliflower, green cabbage, brussels and broccoli than rutabaga which is a root.
>>
File: turnip-carving.jpg (21 KB, 529x367)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>20697542
Carve a jack o' lantern out of it.
>>
File: 1596575062759.png (199 KB, 485x478)
199 KB
199 KB PNG
>>20697984
They are a variation on wild cabbage--A Brassica.
I thought very similar thots with radishes..
I'm going to grow a couple flats just to check with the simulation.
>INB5 ROKO's BASILISK
>>
>>20697542
>I got turnips (I think). Never ate them before, let alone cooked with them. What do?
purple, so yup, turnips, not rutabagas.

I think it's a subtle almost bland flavor when you boil/steam them or use them in soup. They are almost a watery potato in flavor, with a slight bit of bitterness. Instead, cautiously but lightly peel them to clean away any dirt near the stems, cube them same size and just oven roast them, or arrange them around a roast. Peppers, onions, and other veggies like squash added. Roasting adds more intense flavor, and browning.

In my ranking of greens: mustard, collards, kale, italian kale, turnip....dead last for these, which when you have the tops, yea, a bit bitter and a touch too delicate and floppy, and they cook down a bit more like spinach then a green. Sometimes you see small bits of turnips added to a pot of turnip greens.
>>
>>20697542
Have passengers in your car throw them at pedestrians while you drive by.
>>
You have to peel them first. The inner skin is hard to tell apart from the flesh (the flesh is slightly lighter) and very thick, so you have to peel away a lot more material than you'd expect if you're used to like, peeling potatoes or something. The skin isn't inedible but it's stiffer than the flesh when cooked and not pleasant.

Once it's peeled just cut it up into cubes and boil or bake them or something.
>>
>>20698013
Why do people bother growing them when they could plant delicious and universally enjoyed potatoes or something?
>>
>>20698013
>purple, so yup, turnips, not rutabagas
Both turnips and rutabagas are purple at the top. Rutabagas are larger and yellow/orange at the bottom and inside white turnips are smaller and white at the bottom and inside.
>turnip are a touch too delicate and floppy
What do you think turnips and rutabagas are, I wonder? Cuz every turnip green I've ever cooked had been quite firm along the ribs of the leaves and not at all floppy and certainly not delicate.
>>
The 2 at the front are swedes. I'm having swedes for dinner too. Going to roast them with beetroot, Brussels sprouts, garlic, rosemary and maybe carrots.
>>
>>20698312
>The 2 at the front are swedes
Yes, it's been covered.
>>
>>20698097
>ribs of the leaves
which are removed 100% of the time before cooking, and they are indeed the most delicate of the greens, comparatively speaking. I stand by my ranking. A bowl of turnip greens is the least favorite for being like a mushy overcooked spinach even when not overcooked. They are bitter but not in a good way, and thus will likely be overseasoned with smoky flavor. I have 50 years of experience with them.
>>
>>20698049
>Why do people bother growing them when they could plant delicious and universally enjoyed potatoes or something?
If you are growing for your own family, you'll put what you want into your farming patch, duh. It's not always for others. Also, you plant based on harvest dates, to ensure you have items during the months you want new items ready. Some items are winter-ish.Some are right now.
>>
>>20699360
>which are removed 100%
I don't
>They are bitter
You might be a supertaster. Have you ever eaten the core of a head of romaine lettuce? That's more bitter than turnip greens

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.