[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: olive_rdo_g1.jpg (63 KB, 650x650)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
I was just gifted a dutch oven, how do I use one of the niggers? Any recipes?
>>
U make like slow roasted meat in it I think
>>
>>20698477
I make various stews in them.
Curries, beef stews, lamb.

I also use it as a sort of mixing bowl or to hold things. It's so damn useful and hardy.
>>
>>20698477
you can brown stuff in them so they are good for any stew, soup, or beans, just if you want it to last and not start flaking, no metal utensils ever.
>>
Write an email to them telling them it cracked and they'll send you a new one. Repeat for infinite pot things.
Start selling them door to door like Kip did with Tupperware in Napoleon Dynamite.
>>
File: snail.png (458 KB, 687x687)
458 KB
458 KB PNG
>>20698477
It's incredibly good for making cobbler, so give that a look. It's also a good vessel for baking bread. Slow cooking is it's most common application like chili and stew, any kind of sauce. Really it can cook anything, it's the perfect cooking device, it can replace any pot or pan, the primary con is the weight, which is a pretty big downside.
>>
>>20698477
“to gift” is not a verb. “dutch oven” is not a real pot.

you were GIVEN a CASSEROLE DISH
>>
File: 883098912.png (50 KB, 806x492)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>>20698520
ESL?
>>
>>20698520
>>20698530
Btfo
>>
>>20698477
You can use it for almost anything. But it's particularly good for stews, braises, curries, chili, and pasta sauces. One of the most versatile cooking vessels because it's good both for stovetop and in-oven cooking.

As a first dish to make with it, consider using it for a simple beef stew
>>
>>20698477
I usd mine once for a whole chicken and never again lol. took a long ass time so I assume my oven is broken anyway.
>>
>>20698477
bread is very easy to make in it, use one of the million recipes out there for some decent bread
>>
>>20698512
The walls on my personal Dutch oven are too high so I use a cast iron whenever I need to use a pan
>>
>>20699179
You're not really supposed to cook tomato based foods in it though.
>>
File: Homer gold.gif (168 KB, 375x375)
168 KB
168 KB GIF
>>20699489
>too short to reach over the walls of a dutch oven
>>
>>20698520
wrong x2
>>
File: IMG_9603a.jpg (965 KB, 1777x1333)
965 KB
965 KB JPG
>>20699238
THIS
>>20698477
>chegged
MAKE BREAD, get some parchment paper, good flour and a decent bench knife(dollar tree sells them in their kitchen section)
make no-knead bread:
3½C flour
1Tblsp dry yeast
1Tblsp salt
~2C COLD water-(use less at first--you want a wet, shaggy dough)
mix all together with a fork until all the flour is wet, cover with plastic wrap or a lid for 8 hours at room temp, using a rubber spatula and some extra flour sprinkled around the inside edges of the bowl, dump the wet bubbly mess onto a floured clean surface, and then gather it into a ball using the bench knife/scraper--(Pulling it from one side to the other about 6-8 times--little extra flour if needed) then plunk it into the center of a large square of parchment paper.
While this is going on, you'll be preheating your dutchie in a 450°F oven for ½hr. when the Dutchie is heated, slice a score into the dough, gather the 4 corners of parchment and Plonk it into the dutch oven--BAKE COVERED for 30 minutes, then remove the cover for 15-20 more depending on how browned you want it.
let cool on a rack for an hour before putting it in a large ziplock WITH the parchment and possibly a paper towel(for extra moisture removal)
You will NEVER buy bread again.
They LIED about bread going stale or mouldy after a couple days. If you keep a clean kitchen, that will last a week in a 2½Gal. ziplock that isn't closed all the way.
>>
Great outdoor cooking implement. Won't find much unique use for it in a domestic setting if you already have a slow cooker though.
>>
File: IMG_9601.jpg (1.02 MB, 2000x1500)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>20698547
No...NTA, but he's right--except the part about dutch ovens not being real.
The defining difference is a lid that can hold coals, and USUALLY 3 little post legs for setting into a bed of coals.
That indeed is a casserole.
>pic rel
is a Dutch oven.
>>
>>20699553
Can you do this but without parchment paper? I refuse to buy parchment paper.
>>
>>20698477
Try Brian Lagerstroms chilli recipe in it. Not hard, very good and freezes well so you can make a shitload of it.
>>
>>20699493
Not true! Tomato/acid leaching concerns are for raw cast iron. Not so much a concern on ceramic coated.
>>
File: 1599962014851.jpg (51 KB, 400x323)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>20699921
probably...good luck not making a mess though--the paper REALLY helps with putting the dough into the pre-heated vessel.
Why the refusal?
I meant baker's parchment, not the Animal based stuff.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.