[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

I got some “ramen” takeout. Both my parents say cilantro tastes like soap, but I don’t. Can someone who understands genetics tell me whether or not this is normal or if in a weirdo who likes soap?

Thanks. This shit is good, by the way, but tastes like fancy [protein] soup.
>>
>>20698640
at least one of your parents is not your parent anon, maybe both. I'm sorry.
>>
>>20698643
I am honestly not surprised if that’s the case. My dad is short and I’m really tall.
>>
>>20698647
nah I don't know anything about genetics. everything I know I learned from Jurassic Park
>>
File: image.jpg (2.15 MB, 4032x3024)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB JPG
>>20698643
Honestly, I’m kinda sad about it. Dad would take me out of school to go to the movies and we would sneak into everything playing. I dunno what to do or what to say. This is legit the first time I’ve had cilantro in my life. I came here because I figured you guys would know about this shit.

Then mom and dad both were like “damn, why do you like cilantro.”
>>
File: shrug.png (41 KB, 500x327)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
>>20698659
it's perfectly normal to like cilantro anon. this is not going to present any problems in your life or family
>>
>>20698659
Some people are just like that with cilantro, which sucks because it just means your parents don’t like a fair amount of Mexican food either. AI think there’s a genetic element but probably also a perception element. And your dad’s shortness could just be due to bad nutrition as a kid.

Also the ramen looks tasty, enjoy!
>>
>>20698640
The ‘it’s genetic’ thing is just a lie. It’s a weak cope invented by midwits so they can feel justified about being big man babies about the slightly bit of plant matter being in their food. You never see salad eaters complain about cilantro, it’s always midnight cheese block guzzlers.
>>
>>20698737
I think you're the one coping anon
>>
>>20698746
>llms are real life
lmao. I like cilantro so idk what you think I’m coping about.
>>
>>20698750
I think there's sufficient evidence that this is a genetic phenomenon rather than an imagine one
>>
>>20698746
You're right that it's genetic, but trying to defend an argument by showing that an LLM agrees with you is some of the most braindead retarded shit I've ever seen
>>
>>20698753
I'm just saying that the LLM scours a vast array of recorded knowledge to come to a consensus. It does hallucinate sometimes but this seemed legit.
>>
>>20698758
You don't have the slightest idea how LLMs work because, as mentioned, you're fucking retarded.
>>
>>20698758
>yeah I know they're just outright wrong all the time, but this one agreed with me so I'm fine with presenting it as factual evidence
kill yourself
>>
File: overconfident.jpg (8 KB, 125x221)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>20698759
Well I just asked chatgpt how LLMs work and now I'm all over it
>>
>>20698640
Simply put, the people who do not like cilantro or think it tastes like soap are subhuman beasts which poorly mimic the form of man. The flavor of cilantro is the Gom Jabbar of our era. Our world will remain in this hellish stagnant stasis we find ourselves in until the day that their kind are finally cleansed and we can continue on as a truly clean species.
>>
>>20698640
You Asian ?
>>
say it's a single gene
say it's a dominant version that makes you taste soap
that means each parent needs 1 copy to taste soap (remember that we have two copies of each gene, except as men we have one copy of some of the X chromosome genes)
if each parent has one copy your possible combinations are:
>inherited two soap genes
>inherited soap gene from mom and not from dad
>inherited from dad and not from mom
>inherited from neither
so you had a 25% chance not to taste soap
>>
>>20698640
You got scammed, ramen doesn't have cilantro in it.
>>
>>20698640
Your 'parents' kidnapped you as a baby from the hospital.
>>
im getting chinese in 2 hours, im really looking forward to it
>>
>>20698640
It tastes like soap and you're being contrarian because your parents said it. That's the science.
>>
>>20698640
1. They bought into the meme
2. I hate cilantro by itself or if the dish is heavy on it. Mixed into salsa for example, it adds a great flavor. This is probably what happened for them.
>>
File: prrrt.png (75 KB, 973x505)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
>>20698746
When you need to make up some soyience to justify being a big baby
>>
>>20698640
That doesn't mean you're 100% going to inherit the gene. That's like when two midgets have kids but some are also midgets and some are also normal sized.
>>
>>20698640
i feel its partly genetic and partly getting used to it
i ate a good amount of thai food and at first it was way more off putting than it is now i believe but i havent had cilantro in a long time its not really a necessary herb nothing of value is lost skipping it
any other herb shits on cilantro especially basil
>>
>>20699446
Basil tastes like feet
>>
>>20698746
"""Science""" once again completely discounts the 'nurture' side of nature vs. nurture.
>its genetic! no we don’t know which gene but there’s a correlation between parents and children so it must be the heckin dna!
>>
>>20698787
Wrong. Cilantro-non-tasters are the subhuman beasts, born without The Gift. Pure blooded white humans of European ancestry are the ones who can taste the TRUE FORM of this evil, menacing herb, which not only tastes of soap but tastes of poison and moth balls and destroys any dish it touches without care. You are putting something that tastes like chemical-y poison in your body because you are unable to taste its actual form. You may compare it to how some people think gasoline or permanent markers smell good, so they sniff them and give themselves brain damage.
>>
>>20698640
Why question it? They used to think blue eyed parents couldn't have brown eyed kids, but they now known otherwise. Just enjoy your delicious cilantro. Maybe like fish sauce, keep adding it to their cooked food until they eventually like it. They may well just find it foreign tasting, and not like actual soap.
>>
>>20698640
Cilantro tastes like soap but it still tastes good. People that don't like it are just tastelets regardless of genetics.
>>
>>20698640
The only way to know for sure is to get your mom pregnant
>>
>>20698640
cilantro doesn't belong in ramen bro. nice pho though
>>
>>20699483
Oh God, I have been a sub human cilantro enjoyer my entire life and only found out now! Is there a cure?
>>
>>20699483
Based. Fuck cilantro
>>
>>20699483
I get the soapy taste but I like it. It's not like eating a bar of soap as much as slightly familiar, and when mixed with the proper foods it compliments them.
>>
>>20698640
Anon, I...
>>
>>20698640
ITT Today OP Anon finds out he/she was adopted.
>>
the cilantro gene thing is just a bit of retard pop science that people take way too seriously because cilantro absolutely smells and tastes like soap but you don't use it as the primary seasoning in anything. i think it tastes like soap and i buy it along with other things that also taste like shit like achiote or bay leaves or cumin because seasoning isn't supposed to taste good by itself.

it's also probably not one gene
>>
File: doctor king tut.jpg (48 KB, 507x625)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>20699483
okay enjoy your fermented fish and scavenged root vegetables i'm going to enjoy meat grilled with fine herbs and spices in line with the accomplished cultures of old
>>
cilantro isnt even real
>>
>>20698737
>>20701864
Everyone I've ever met who claims they dislike coriander and blames genetics is also otherwise a picky eater. Never does this genetic mystery strike someone who's already fine with eating other things that are part of a normal adult diet. Makes you think.
>>
fun fact: cilantro actually makes really good gin
>>
>>20698647
>>20698659
How does the mailman feel about cilantro?
>>
>>20701876
>I have no sense of taste and smell so no one else does either.
>>
Probably something to do with dominant and recessive genes
That does not look like ramen btw
>>
I do not like cantaloupe. I am not a picky eater by any means so I am fairly certain there is a gene for making cantaloupes taste like old pennies
>>
>>20702891
>I blame genetics for having the dietary habits of a child
>>
>>20698640
Who puts coriander in ramen? Also who uses spaghetti noodles in ramen?
>>
>>20698640
>Ramen
lol
>>
>>20704331
Ramen is too crunchy, how do the chinks eat it when they have missing teeth and gum disease
>>
>>20704352
They put a firecracker in their mouth with it
>>
>>20698640
I really don't understand the "genetic" bit, because when I was a kid, yeah, cilantro tastes like pure soap to me, and I avoided it like the plague, but then I got older and now it just tastes like...well, like cilantro, I don't really know how to describe the flavor (like a slightly spicier parsley?) but it doesn't taste like soap to me now. Did my genes change? Did I mutate?
>>
>>20704403
Vaxxed?
>>
File: wec logo.png (52 KB, 1200x514)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
>>20698640
I don’t like cilantro, to me it tastes and smells like somebody for a soap bar and lit it on fire, it smells like burning soap to me. What’s worse is that it overwhelms whatever it’s in, like if it’s in salsa or whatever, it just tastes like burning soap.
>>
>>20698640
Every week I shove shredded cabbage and carrots into a jar with sliced chilis and cilantro. Then I pour in vinegar and lime juice.

Found out on like sandwiches this fucking slays.

I'm going to need a bigger jar...
>>
>>20704764
Care to give some measurements? I could go for some kraut or kimchi recipes.
>>
>>20698640
I'm sorry to inform you your parents are tastelets
>>
>>20698640
cilantro tastes like how stink bugs smell to me
>>
>>20699943
This
The genetics thing is just picky eaters trying to back up their quirks with science, exactly like all the people who use Adhd as an excuse to be lazy
>>
>>20705697
Honestly, I know a girl that suddenly became "allergic" to mushrooms a few years ago and swears she can tell if there's even a tiny amount of mushroom in a dish because it makes her throat swell up. She actually can't because i've seen her eat food with mushroom sauce and other things. It's only if the flavor of mushroom is prominent or if she sees it she suddenly can't eat it. I told her to just admit she doesn't like mushroom and that's fine but she insists she's allergic to the flavor.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.