[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: chateau-suduiraut-2011.png (270 KB, 550x1000)
270 KB
270 KB PNG
I'm going to cook a most opulent feast for some friends, and I want to pair it with sauternes wine. In the past, I have tested sauternes wine with citrus fruits and with tomato sauce, and these acidic foods made the sauternes taste like shit.

MY QUESTION: Will salmon with lemon-butter-cream sauce make the sauternes taste like shit?

Here are the courses I will serve:
1) Ribeye steak with montreal seasoning, and bacon-cheddar mashed potatoes.
2) Salmon with a lemon-butter cream sauce, and boiled green beans and carrots.
3) Cheese, crackers, grapes, pairs, peaches, berries and apricots. (goose or pheasant liver pate if I can find it)
>>
v hopeful thread for /ck/ particularly these days, but godspeed all the same
>>
>>20698979
Thanks fren.
>>
Does weed pair with sauternes wine?
>>
>in the past, citrus and acidic foods have made it taste like shit
>will lemon sauce make it taste like shit?
hurr
durr
>>
>>20698988
The acid from the lemon might be neutralized by the cream sauce since the cream is basic. That's why I'm asking.
>>
I wish I had friends to cook for. Sometimes I fantasize about what I would make and come up with fun multi course meals. It would be cool to explore a new regional cuisine with each one.
I don't drink enough to do wine pairings so I can't help with your question, sorry.
>>
>>20698976
Sauternes is incredibly sweet. It's a dessert wine. ie. It's meant to be served with literal dessert or in place of it

You could maybe get with pairing it with the cheese board (even then questionable), but serving it with meat is disgusting. That's marginally less trashy than "pairing" your salmon with Mountain Dew.

Also why are you serving two full main courses. Is this a dinner with 300lb fat people?
>>
>>20699054
My original plan was to serve the sauternes with the cheeses and fruit at the end. But then I thought, "Maybe it would go well with the salmon?"

I'm serving two main courses because this is an opulent and extravagant feast.
>>
>>20698976
Sauternes usually goes really well with fatty, rich foods, so salmon should be fine. However, I would advice against the citrus and instead recommend aromatics like French tarragon, truffle, or nutmeg.

If you make a velouté sauce thickened with the yolks, and try these sorts of aromatics, and then top with chervil, you are good to go. However, Sauternes is so incredibly sweet, that nobody is likely to drink a full standard glass of it with their meal, either way.

I would recommend either a dry Riesling with honey on the palate, or a very simple, dry, vinho verde (if you can get it for cheapish where you live) with maybe pear on both the nose and palate as the main accompaniment for your salmon and a sherry-sized serving of sauternes as an extra.

Never underestimate how sweet wines can deter people from eating.
>>
>>20699054
>>20699097
Traditionally, Sauternes is the main choice for rich, savory treats or meals, like Foie gras. You could serve it as a dessert wine, too, but I would not serve it with salty cold cuts and salty cheese.
>>
>>20698990
That's extremely feminine.
>>
>>20698976
This meal will be very timing and space intensive for you to cook while hosting and also participating during the evening.
I would replace one of your primary dishes with a soup or a salad, both of which can be either fully, or partially prepared ahead of time and will not take up mich stove real-estate.
>>
>>20698976

Wrong place to ask. Channers typically don't drink, it's a normie pasttime that ages you faster and makes you act like a retard. Try Reddit if you're into that.

If you want pairing recommendations I would suggest a refreshing seltzer, no added flavor. It's perfectly suitable for a company of guests who aren't emotionally stuck in the days of 9gag and college binge drinking.

If they don't like it I would consider finding better friends.
>>
>>20699132
You are a massive fucking faggot
>>
>>20699132
It's common for people who have recently gone clean from being an addict to see everyone else as an addict.

It is possible to enjoy things in life without it being a problem.
>>
>>20699134

If you get that upset at the very idea of spending time with other people without getting drunk you might have some introspection to do.
>>
>>20699140

I've had alcohol four times in my life, I would hardly consider myself an addict.
>>
>>20699101
Thanks, I'll experiment with a velouté sauce.

>>20699110
I'm going to use creamy, non-salty cheeses for the final course.

>>20699130
That's a good point. Can you shill me a good soup? I usually make very rich stews during the winter, but that wouldn't be appropriate here.
>>
>>20699141
I'm not remotely upset at the idea of spending time with people while sober. I'm upset with how much a massive fucking faggot you're being. It's too the point where I think you must be intentionally acting like an insufferable retard while pretending to be a sobriety-advocate just to give them a bad name. But whether or not that's what you're doing, you're still a massive fucking faggot.
>>
>>20699130
Maybe a sweet potato soup?
>>
>>20699150

>while pretending to be a sobriety-advocate

I'm not a sobriety advocate, just a zoomer. We smoke weed and do edibles, I would hardly call that being sober.
>>
>>20699097
Understood. One recommendation is to change the order of the courses so it builds in richness
1. Cheese plate
2. Salmon
3. Steak course

I still see sauternes as a bad pairing for these. Someone else recommended riesling which would be good & still have some of the sweetness of sauternes while being a bit more balanced. If using the sequence above, you could serve riesling with the cheese & salmon, and then break out a heftier red wine (bordeaux or vurgundy or even a rhone) for the steak course.

Perhaps you end with a fruit course (e.g. canteloupe) and serve the sauternes then

Good luck with your feast!
>>
>>20699149
No probs.

Sure.

If you stick with the Salmon, I would probably recommend something vegetarian. On the richer side, a French onion soup would be nice. It is also somewhat festive with its cheesy crust on the top. On the medium rich side, a green pea soup (not split pea), and on the light side, a consommé with your favorite mild vegetables.

If you stick with steak I would recommend a creamy asparagus soup.

For the French onion soup, check out this guy's channel called "French cooking academy." His recipe is quite nice.

For the green pea soup recipe, search for a video called something along the lines of "green pea soup matar", and indian guy is making it. It is also quite nice.

Asparagus soups is easy:
Get a bottle of dry white wine that you enjoy. Two bunches of normal asparagus. 7 dl of heavy cream, 3dl of either chicken stock or vegetable stock, depending on what you prefer. 3 Shallots.herbs and spices you like with asparagus. Salt, pepper and a slight touch of nutmeg is what I prefer. Butter. You'll need a stockpot and an immersion blender.

Prep the asparagus, save 3 spear tips for each person at the table.

Cook the finely diced shallots in some butter in the bottom of a stock pot on medium to medium-low heat until translucent. Pour in half the bottle of wine and bring to a simmer.

Keep at a simmer for 2 minutes before adding the stock. Bring back to a simmer.

Add the asparagus (except the spear tips you have saved). Cook on a low boil for about 10 minutes.

Cook spear tips on the side for about 4-6 minutes depending on their thickness.

Add some herbs and spices and then the heavy cream. Bring to a simmer.

Immersion blend the soup until there are no chunks left.

Let soup reduce to 3/4 of maximum volume.

Pour into bowls and top with the three spear tips per bowl. Serve with a little bit of bread.

Consommé is easy and there are thousands of recipes online anyways.
>>
>>20699155
I have never tried a sweet potato soup before. What style of soup is it?
>>
>>20698976
It depends on the sauternes.
>>
It's the wrong thing to have with salmon. I'm not usually one to be like REEE THE RULES but there's a point where it gets objectively bad
>>
>>20698976
pleb

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.