[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: fa8SxLD.jpg (613 KB, 1290x1396)
613 KB
613 KB JPG
What do you get at your neighborhood diner?
>>
>>20699508
I don't at those places.
>>
>>20699508
food poisoning
>>
>>20699508
Usually a sandwich or eggs bennies
>>
scwambled eggs
>>
>>20699508
This place is third world inflation. A single egg, hash browns and toast for $11.15. Are you joking?
>>
>>20699585
sounds like you need to get less poor
>>
>>20699585
Ouch. In my country, exchange rate wise: 6 large eggs, $2
4 large potatoes, $1.20
A bag of onions $0.90
Proper loaf of bread: $1.50
So that's:
1 egg, $0.33
1.5 potatoes, $0.45
1 onion, $0.10
2 slices of bread, $0.30
About $1.20
How much does food cost over there??
>>
>billies surprised that manhattan restaurants are expensive
>>
>>20699596
nta, but it's about value for money, rich or poor. I could afford to eat that every day, twice without a problem. But you're a bit silly if you think that it's worth the cost. That's not a lot of food
>>
>>20699585
>This place is third world inflation. A single egg, hash browns and toast for $11.15. Are you joking?
City diners are using very valuable property, from way back when, and the residences above them. To reduce the prices on a menu, would be to operate at a charity. They would be better off selling for millions instead. The old diehards who have their property paid off can afford to operate how they want, but their children will entertain offers one day. It's the same thing with a cheap vet or cheap dentist, you only get good prices from the guy who has his practice paid off already.
>>
>>20699612
when you’re rich enough, “worth” becomes a meaningless concept
>>
>>20699610
Yeah I am. I just don't get it. Are the ingredients better? They'll be buying them at the same price as anywhere
>>
>>20699614
OK, I understand what you're saying and it makes more sense
>>
The closest thing to a diner I have is Denny's, IHOP, or Steak n Shake.
>>
>>20699615
Seemingly so. I'm obviously not affluent enough. I'm not embarrassed by that, however.
>>
>>20699585
>This place is third world inflation. A single egg, hash browns and toast for $11.15. Are you joking?
But, it's relative to the overall cost of living you enjoy living there in Manhattan. As an property owner, you might spend at least $9k/mo on taxes, mortgage, HOA, parking and utilities on your purchased Manhattan condo, or pay at least $5-9k on crappy small barely livable rent each month. Your income needs to double the cost of living or exceed it by 3x, or you are only living for rent and not planning for your future. Businesses have the same high expenses, and you'd expect the prices are not there just to rip off random tourists, but to support regulars too.

One of the reasons NYC has such amazing food is the power of competition for the choices at hand. The customer base who has money wants quality and will seek it out. I found the same thing to be true in northern VA/DC/MD, where some of the highest capita income and education is the majority. Brains and money means discerning customer with the disposable income to dine well.
>>
>>20699642
>Be an investment banker living in Manhattan
>Be obscenely wealthy
>Everyone considers me fantastic with money
>Spend $30 on a donut because it seems like a great deal to me
>"Actually when you consider demand for donuts in local markets combined with the current rainbow sprinkle shortage in Western Asia and donut mortgages at 3% it's a great investment, trust me"

No wonder we have some huge financial or banking crisis in this country every two years when these retards have no idea how much things are actually worth. How do I start an eatery in the city so people will do mental gymnastics to justify wasting lots of money on something I paid very little to make?
>>
>>20699777
Fluid costs like food and stuff make up max 30% of a restaurants expenses.
No need to thank me, I just like to help out.
>>
>>20699777
>implying
Those bankers are fleeing to North Carolina. Even they can't afford to keep living in New York.
>>
>>20699508
cheeseburger, as i am american
>>
>>20699777
11th grade graduate post

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.