[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: THEI_06252_6709875A.jpg (268 KB, 1024x768)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
>Japan-Style 7-Elevens Are Coming to America and That Means a Vastly Improved Menu

“We believe that we need to change our business model from one that relies on gasoline and cigarettes to one in which customers choose us based on our products,” Isaka told Bloomberg. “The key to this change is fresh food.”

Isaka’s company is reportedly building out a supply chain that can deliver fresh food daily to American convenience store locations, as well as seasonal offerings and those that cater to regional tastes (two other areas in which the Japanese stores excel). And Seven & I Holdings isn’t necessarily finished with acquiring other businesses, either.

https://www.foodandwine.com/japanese-7-eleven-in-america-8681243
>>
>>20700123
Americans don't want nice things, only slop
>>
>>20700128
Will this fail?
>>
>>20700123
lol the hubris of man
lets see how long it takes for this project to be declared a failure
>>
>>20700123
Japanese things work in Japan because they're created and maintained by Japanese for the Japanese. Put a Japanese style 7-Eleven in Baltimore and see what happens.
>>
>>20700123
And wow exactly are Japan's proposed changes meant to be implemented by the Indians running the American stores, given their diametrically opposite standards? This whole thing stinks of a Model UN experiment.
>>
>>20700123
Fucking finally.
>>
>>20700123
>Japan-style 7/11
>in a country full of niggers
Shit's gonna fail hard.
>>
File deleted.
I'd rather they bring Lawson back to the USA.
>>
File deleted.
I mean, we started it.
>>
>>20700228
Don't hold your breath. America couldn't even produce proper Strong Zero, a single konbini product, because of their weird cult laws. And now, trying to renovate an entire chain known only for selling garbage? It's either an insurance scam, a money-laundering op, or pure unadulterated hubris. More power to to them, if the samurai can start by evicting the abusive panhandlers living in the doorway at our 7-Eleven, but they can't even do that in Roppongi.
>>
>>20700123
Simply not realistic for most American locations unless they have security as well.
>>
File deleted.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HtlPZIr_f7I
>>
>>20700254
There's never any problems in ours. Stop living in the city.
>>
>>20700234
>>20700239
>>20700256
what does this have to do with convenient rice balls
>>
>>20700234
Based Liru poster telling it like it is. A Lawson employee would totally throw down with a nigger, not like 711.
>>
>>20700259
>stop living in the city
I live near one and it's still an issue. Of course I'll be leaving soon, leavefags are dead right. These places suck unreasonable amounts of dick.
>>
>>20700260
The heat of the rice cooks the convenient balls.
>>
File deleted.
>>20700260
Who goes to lawson for rice balls? I get karaage or some good bentos.
>>
>>20700151
homeless and lunchtime rowdies will ruin this
>>
File: 7 GOLD.jpg (156 KB, 640x966)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>20700123

Don't make sandwiches or rice balls that require ingredients made in Japan.
7-Eleven Japan's gold series could be replicated in the US
The reason is that many of the ingredients in the gold series are imported and not made in Japan.
>>
>>20700123
If I want fresh food from a convenience store I've already got Wawa Royal Farms and Sheetz near me can Jap style 7/11s really compete with that?
>>
File: 226172312_large.jpg (590 KB, 1440x1080)
590 KB
590 KB JPG
>>20700243
>because of their weird cult laws
Can't they just sell Japanese instant ramen as is?
Would MSG, etc. be caught by the law?
>>
>>20700414
I think we should sell only processed foods that last a long time and can be prepared using only hot water or a microwave.
>>
>>20700123
I don't get it, most convenience stores already have fresh food
>>
>>20700492
The "fresh" food at 7-11 here is garbage though. But it doesn't really matter because the Japanese model is based on people randomly walking by and picking up some food which works with all the foot traffic they have. Here it's all gas station locations and it's mostly just ghetto nigs and Mexican gardeners or other workers that ever stop by. They don't care about quality food.
>>
>>20700420
There's some weird law about anything containing meat or dairy that was implemented in the '00s and stopped the import of most normal Japanese ramen. I'm old enough that I got into Japanese food in the early '00s and I remember a time when you could get instant ramen that had actual vacuum-packed chashu in it, UFO yakisoba with dehydrated pork, Japanese beef jerky, etc. at Japanese supermarkets but that all stopped with whatever the bullshit tradewar thing was. I think the law is no longer in effect but things haven't gone back to how they were.

>>20700218
There probably won't be much action on the part of those Indians, it'll just be a change in whatever pre-packed food is on the shelves in the stores.

>>20700400
fwiw it actually IS doable in the US. Family Mart tried in the '00s, had a small number of stores in the LA area branded as "FAMIMA!" and when they first opened they had a pretty much identical selection to what you'd find in Japan and it was good, sadly it didn't really catch on and they gradually shifted away from Japanese stuff toward more normal "premium" western sandwiches etc. (though they did still have curry pan and some sushi/bentos) and then eventually closed all their stores by 2015. It was a real shame too, I worked near one of the first stores when it opened and it was awesome being able to get decent cheap Japanese stuff.
>>
>>20700594
>sadly it didn't really catch on
Sad. Why does this typically happen? Normalfag retard NPCs thinking the food is weird or icky or something?
>>
>Japanese 7/11
>clean, well kept, food made with production dates less than 2 days old
>american japens 7/11
>Indian ran
>shit everywhere
>fowl smelling
>no production dates
>food bought from Cisco and repackaged
>>
>>20700607
I think the idea that packaged convenience store food could be anything other than garbage slop is pretty alien to Americans, and was even moreso 15+ years ago before Starbucks etc. started selling semi-decent packaged stuff. They also chose weird locations without much foot traffic (honestly, choosing LA as the test market was a mistake in itself, SF, Seattle, or NYC probably would've made more sense) and didn't really market themselves well. The result was that the only people who really patronized their stores were weebs like me or people who happened to live or work right by one, and that wasn't really enough.
>>
>>20700214
Unfortunately this is true but i hope i get to buy some onigiri before they decide to go back to greasy burgers
>>
File: famiri-maruto.jpg (213 KB, 1280x720)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
>>20700611
>>fowl smelling
It's 7-Eleven anon, not Family Mart.
>>
>>20700123
Things like this only work in a high-trust society
>>
>>20700123
>>20700214
>>20700233
>>20700731
The main issue is, even if you got the top tier 7/11s that Japan has, even those Japanese stores are outdone in food quality, variety and store upkeep by the domestic offerings like Buc-ees, Wawa and Sheetz, all of which already adapt to local palate. Something like 7/11 that operates mostly on prepared will not be able to match, and even then that’s if the USA 7/11s had the Japanese worker and franchise quality which they don’t, they have shitty Indians
CEO isn’t wrong but he doesn’t get why it won’t work. The whole franchise system would need to be broken up and the brand started anew to get the quality standards to match the top brands. It’s not like Japan where everyone is loyal to 7/11, Familymart and Lawson, some are loyal to local brands or otherwise you need to match up or die, and 7/11 can’t until they fix who is running them
>>
People are saying the problem with this idea is the nigger "undocumented customers." The problem is the nigger employees. They are not going to be able to change out inventory regularly enough to keep only fresh food on the shelves.
>>
>>20700218
I have to agree, the 7/11 by my work is in a nice area and not some urban shithole, but the people running the store can't even handle chili cheese dogs. Either no buns in the warmer, no dogs on the rollers, or the chili/cheese was out pretty much every time I tried to get one.
>>
>>20700594
>Imported Japanese instant ramen
Apparently that law is still in effect today.
It seems that any food that contains beef, pork, or chicken as an ingredient is prohibited from being brought into the US.
However, some states allow it if the food is made only with chicken.
>>
>>20700594
>Family Mart
Previously, Family Mart's side dishes weren't very good.
Perhaps it was the same in the U.S.
Besides, you can probably get Japanese products at Mitsuwa or H Mart.

On the other hand, 7-Eleven's side dishes have always been good.
And the newly started selling and becoming popular was the gold series
This has a lot of Japanese fans.
I think 7-Eleven USA should reproduce the gold series first.
>>
>7-ELEVEN GOLD Series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcptgwb3wuE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmc4mKkhxOE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L3t9gEg10g
>>
>>20700123
Based, the hopefully laredo taco co will get a basic bitch sushi or gyudon cousin
>>
maybe i can get good coney dogs from 7/11 soon
>>
>>20700151
It is guaranteed to fail in "urban" cities (>>20700214). But it should succeed in other areas where the community care levels are similar to Japan's levels.

>>20700128
Honestly, with all the social media eyeballs on this, having decent food would actually help them and it should drive engagement. And it's not like they are going to replace the slop - if the slop sells, it stays. They are just gonna be getting rid of the shit NO ONE ever buys in these stores (like laundry detergent). If they try onigiri and no one buys it, it will be replaced with a sub or some shit. They will rinse and repeat until the place operates better.

>>20700218
The Indians won't have to do shit. What Japan's management will do is inventory management - meaning they will watch what sells and doesn't, and replace the doesn't sell with what sells. So the local shop won't do shit except stock shelves with whatever management sends them.

And yes, the current 7/11 was NOT doing the above. They were that retarded. Articles on this have pointed out the current 7/11 in America just put shit out to put shit out, regardless of if it sold or not.
>>
>>20700939
You can't employ Americans for the price they'll be paying who are willing to put the effort in to make it work. No one here has pride in their work (For good reason) so it's destined to fail.
>>
>>20700948
Do even Japanese convenience stores staff natives now? I've heard they hire a lot of foreigners, and it's even reflected in the RGD games. Grorious Nippon aint so grorious anymore from what I understand.
>>
>>20700214
I live in between DC and Baltimore
I'll report how awful it goes
>>
>>20700123
Why would I got to a 7/11 for actual food? I don't even want regular take out. This shit is on its way out in the US.
>>
>>20700958
>I've heard they hire a lot of foreigners
That's only in the center of a city with over a million people, or around a district with a large international student population.
>>
This is the crux of the issue. Gas stations in America are for (not sorted by corporation profit)

1. Gas.

2. Degeneracy: Tobacco, Alcohol, Lottery Tickets, and... probably Energy Drinks I guess. Those probably outsell others on the list.

3. Fuel for landscaping equipment.

Food is a tiny bit, as even the lawnmower's designated English-ish speaking driver can just go to mcchacchos back door to get the fleet fueled up.
>>
Sounds great until you remember who works at these places. Only works in Japan for a reason.
>>
If there is ONE thing I wish more stores in my country had, it's the cheap printing service that all konbinis in Japan have. A single black-white page for 20 yen, 60 if colored?? Holy shit, please bring that to my country.
>>
>>20701054
What are you doing day to day that requires printing but makes it not worth it to own a printer?
>>
>>20700939
>won't do shit except stock shelves
yes, this is the problem. the people that work in these places in america are too lazy to even keep things on the shelves. practically every gas station i go to in america, tons of items are "out of stock" (sitting on racks in the refrigerators)
>>
>>20701058
>>20701061

I live in Finland and finding a convenient place to print pages is pretty difficult.

I draw digitally and it's always difficult to tell from tablet screen how a screentone is going to actually look when printed. With the konbini printing service I can just print a single page for a test to see how it looks, and do adjustments afterwards if needed. I think I will get my own printer at some point.
>>
>>20700267
>vote for bullshit
>get bullshit
>leave and colonize new place
>vote for bullshit...
>>
Make everything a vending machine and open 24 hours a day.
I'll also put this machine in place.
>>
>>20700123
Since 7-11 own Speedway, do they also get the Japanese treatment? Or is that only for 7-11s proper?
>>
File: 711.png (2.87 MB, 1574x1250)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB PNG
>>20700123
>>
>>20701072
more like
>grew up in a place
>vote against bullshit
>government imports thousands of illegals
>black population grows
>vote doesn't count anymore
>leave and colonize new place
>it happens again...
>>
>>20700123
yeah see while that is cool in theory this only works in affluent areas (which i'm sure they accounted for)
and even in affluent areas, you're hard pressed to find a 7-11 that isn't a mecca for the homeless
>>
>>20700885
such garbage
>>
>>20700123
My local 7-11 has been here for probably over 30 years. Standalone, not attached to anything like a gas station.
If this hits mine, I might actually walk over for lunch or a snack during work twice a week.
It's quick and easy to make an egg sandvich at home, but stuff like breaded chicken or onigiri could be worth the surcharge.
>>
if you walk into a convenience store looking for food, you're a fucking idiot
>>
File: cirno gasp.png (399 KB, 1418x1418)
399 KB
399 KB PNG
>>20701192
>>
If it means I can grab an onigiri and bottle of tea, I'm all for it. Taquitos and hot dogs are fine, but I'd rather have a Tuna mayo riceball.

t.Dirty Flip
>>
>>20700939
>What Japan's management will do is inventory management - meaning they will watch what sells and doesn't, and replace the doesn't sell with what sells. So the local shop won't do shit except stock shelves with whatever management sends them.
>And yes, the current 7/11 was NOT doing the above. They were that retarded.
That's pretty bad, and makes this rebrand actually have some hope if it's essentially 80% logistics improvements.
In hindsight the 7-11s near me, the only stuff that really moves are the refrigerated drinks, coffee, and the freshest fresh food. Most of the isles are packed with super packaged stuff that has a shelf life of months if not years, all of which is very overpriced. Even the candy isle is basically the same.
>>
>>20701192
What convenient things do you walk to the store for if not food or drink?
>>
>>20701189
That won't be enough to keep the new business model running.
>>
How are the 711 wings?
>>
>>20701220
And you think this because ???
Their current business model of not selling product has kept it afloat. I fail to see how selling product would be worse.
>>
>>20701226
One zoomer who might buy a rice ball twice a week at most? I don't think so.
>>
they are already in usa stores egg salad sandwich with milkbread and tonkatsu ramen
>>
>>20700804
you are delusional if you thinks sheetz and wawa are high quality... its literal shit tier food
japanese convenience stores are much higher quality than those
buc-ees is alright
>>
>>20700123
This isn't going to work. 7-Eleven has a strong reputation in America for what it is. The people going there are the people who want shitty gas station convenience store food and cigarettes, and they will not give a shit about good fresh food options. People who do care about good fresh food options don't go to 7-Eleven, and won't trust their fresh food even if they find themselves in one.
They need to do business under a new brand to give this the slightest chance of working.
>>
>>20700123
Are Japanese-style ones coming to Australia?
>>
>>20701272
No
>>
File: Australian History X.jpg (97 KB, 500x600)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>20701286
Well then. Things are going to get tougher for Japs here then.
>>
>"""fresh"""
>TBHQ, DATEM, EDTA, aluminium phosphate/sulphate, FD&C Yellow 6, vegetable oil, vegetable shortening, bleached flour
many such cases. looking forward to it
>>
>>20701261
This. I'm not even American and I know 7-11 is the type of gas station food you should never eat because you'll get sick and almost die.
>>
>>20701650
711 also makes you cum in a kid without a condom and is responsible for every war and conflict in the world since 1714.
>>
>>20701656
> 7-11 is mossad
Interesting, it does make a good cover.
>>
>>20701663
It's also the reason why orange juice tastes bad after brushing your teeth and why bugs splatter on the front of your car.
>>
>>20701672
That makes no sense. Anyone in the know stays the fuck away from flouride.
>>
>>20700939
>just put shit out to put shit out,
lel reminds me of the time I saw diapers for sale at a liquor store.
>>
>>20701683
I sold diapers out of my van for two months after my dad died. True story.
>>
>>20701688
haha
>>
>>20700594
>I'm old enough that I got into Japanese food in the early '00s
>bullshit tradewar thing

How the fuck are you that old and have no concept of the madcow epidemic that made the burgers squimish about foreign meat?
>>
>>20700123
they will have a rude awakening when they realize what kind of "clientele" they have in those neighbourhoods.
>>
7-11 is obsolete, I haven’t had a reason to go to one in years. Gas stations are way ahead, all of the ones near me are renovating and putting in legitimately good fried chicken and pizza kitchens.
>>
>>20701924
American 7/11's aren't also petrol stations by default? I guess the American one's are obsolete.
>>
>>20701926
No gas. Even worse, some of them don’t even sell alcohol.
>>
In contrast, most gas stations around here now also sell beer & wine, some even liquor. Which was unheard of when I was a kid.
>>
>>20700123
Isn’t that the concept behind those QT Kitchen locations?
>>
>>20700214
This. American convenience stores are run by dirty pajeets who don't wash their hands, stink, and try to scam their customers. The only way to fix that is by firing all of them.
>>
>>20700123
This is good news for people who had previously been buying all their groceries from the dollar general.
>>
>>20701272
There's nothing at a japanese konbini that isn't at a good IGA other than liquor and that's not happening in this country. What really makes them is that if you're in a city there is always one within 400m.
>>
>>20700804
Sheetz is somehow even worse than subway.
>>
>>20701211
Scratchers
>>
I'd love for this to work out but lets be honest, a "peaceful protest" will burn one or two down and they'll call it a loss.
>>
>>20700715
God I hate Chris' le thumbnail face so much. Champ seems to have disappeared though?
>>
Japanese 7/11s are just mini grocery stores. That won't work here because most Americans have a car and thus aren't grocery shopping every 2-3 days like how its done in Japan where everyone walks. Minimarts already realised this decades ago, which is why milk and eggs there are more expensive; smaller economies of scale.
>>
>>20700128
>>20700151
Getting over the stigma of it being basically gas station food in america will take some serious work.

Personally, i don't think you get american minimum wage workers to produce food at that level on a routine basis.
>>
>>20700123
You can’t have nice things in America because black people.
>>
>>20701210
What do you think Japanese 7/11s are stuffed with? Aisles of instant ramen and fish chips (junk food), with the only difference being they also have some deli stuff like fruit/veg/dairy. The main difference is the culture involved, which just blindly importing the store layouts go the US isn't gonna change. Unless they can figure out how to solve the methheads behind the counter and the ESL Mexican landscapers holding up the line, nothing will change.
>>
>>20700123
711 slop is underrated, its decent for being cheap and instant. you can get a personal pizza for like $7
>>
these will last exactly 6 months

either from niggers running them into the ground, or niggers looting them into the ground
>>
>>20703291
>Getting over the stigma of it being basically gas station food in america will take some serious work.
I fail to see why. I've only seen a single 7-11 attached to a gas station. Every other one has been a standalone convenience store for decades.
>>
>>20703302
>What do you think Japanese 7/11s are stuffed with?
More fresh food. Better candy and snacks. You know, the night and day difference that everyone who has experienced a Japanese 7-11 knows is true?
>>
>>20700594
I loved the Los Angeles Famimas and still miss them
>>
>>20700629
they probably picked LA because of existing Japanese populations and the assumption that people were more open to Japanese products. I'm surprised they closed all of them though. I would have that the one's in Little Tokyo would do OK.
>>
>>20700948
American businesses would rather sell you prepackaged shit at a huge markup than do anything that would require effort or paying a person to perform labor. Get ready for AI-powered automated everything, because America hates its citizens.
>>
>>20703519
if they hated us they would want us to work at 7/11
>>
it isn't even just the customers, america doesn't have the employees to do japanese style 7-11
>>
sevenu erevenu mucho greatoru in u japano
>>
>>20703625
They'd have to learn chopsticks first
>>
>>20700611
Japanese 7/11s are Indian ran too
>>
>>20702066
IGA price gouge dairy farmers a lot. Fuck 'em.
>>
They completely changed aus 7/11s.
Super cheap espresso coffee and deals with a range of muffins and shit.
The stores went from being shitty late night convenience to people lining up in the mornings for the coffee. Probably qudripled revenue, if not more
>>
File: images (37).jpg (53 KB, 630x487)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>20703924
Forgot pic

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.