[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1707657423410560.jpg (29 KB, 320x320)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
Going to make mushroom soup for the first time tonight.
And I'm like why look up some bull ass recipe online when I can talk to some real niggas with refined pallettes and real mushroom soup experiences!?

So I've got a bunch of oyster, chestnut and lion's mane mushrooms to work with.

All I need to know is roughly how you cook it and what flavors would go good.
Not looking for a structured recipe, rather something a little freestyle.
Guessing I'd start with roux and add chopped mushrooms, garlic, rosemary. Thicken with milk and cream. Then fresh black pepper.
I think I'll keep it pretty creamy, and add in some white wine. And mince some shrimp and drop that right in the pot. Maybe have shallots in there would be good.

Thank you for sharing.
>>
>>20700840
In my experience there's a few things that can elevate mushroom soup, one of them is pine nuts. It's crunchy and nutty with a mild complimentary flavor.

The mushrooms pick up a lot of butter when cooking, so sautee everything with aromatics, mushrooms last before making roux.

Try adding halved grapes, you might like that. Grapes plus salty gets overlooked a lot.

Fine bacon mince would be good. Alternatively, beef strips
>>
Shallots is a good idea. Other small things you can add to it as garnish when it's done is either chives or a couple of drops of truffle oil
>>
>>20700868
sounds amazing :D
>>
>>20700840
eh i prefer stroganoff. its just mushroom soup with beef in it, which makes it better
>>
roast the mushrooms first. chop most of them up but leave a few nice looking whole ones and toss them in right before serving.
>>
>>20700840
honestly sounds like you have it pretty much figured out man. the shallots are a must. personally I would sub rosemary for thyme, but that's a minor detail; preferably, use whatever fresh herbs you have. if you want a thicker soup, maybe puree some of the mushrooms (not all). a shot of worcestershire sauce might be good too.

if you have time and extra mushrooms, you could make a mushroom stock
>>
>>20700887
Thank you, I'll definitely add some kind of meat

>>20700917
I like this idea. a couple of the chestnuts would do well for that

>>20700923
I was maybe going to skip the shallots but now I'll make the trip and get some along with the thyme. Appreciate all the tips
>>
>>20700935
captcha was "poovat" lol ...
>>
>>20700840
>And mince some shrimp and drop that right in the pot.
You should have said you wanted to make shrimp and mushroom soup right away, retard.
>>
>>20700840
post a pic after, sounds good
>>
>>20700964
It won't be that heavy on the shrimp. Just one or two chopped up for contrast

>>20700966
Ok I will. But we're a little behind schedule as I still have to clone out the mushrooms onto petri dishes
>>
>>20701121
>It won't be that heavy on the shrimp. Just one or two chopped up for contrast
So call it mushroom and shrimp soup, retard.
>>
I mean as much as I love shrimp, if someone served me a "mushroom soup" and I noticed shrimpy flavor and bit into shrimp, I'd scream "what the fuck is wrong with you"?
>>
And lets not forget that shrimp and mushroom soup is a fundamentally fucked up idea. How did you even think of it being a good idea?
>>
>>20701166
what's the big fucking deal? chill
>>
>>20701181
The big deal is that you don't put shrimp in mushroom soup. And that shrimp and mushroom soup is a fundamentally fucked up idea.
>>
And to clarify here I strictly mean in the case of a western style creamed mushroom soup.
>>
>>20701205
Okay, I've decided to leave out the shrimp this time
>>
>>20701249
You should do it just to see what it does and report back.
>>
>>20700840
Since you are using so many mushrooms I would recommend uniformly chopping them OR doing them in slightly different sizes based on the mushrooms
i.e lion's mane > oyster > chestnut
A consistent size in your chopping will do alot for the soup
I would go for a simple cream soup with some fresh herbs and som worstershire sauce for colour and flavour, might even add some oyster sauce
Lastly don't get all the moisture out of the mushrooms, you still want some of that Juicy chew
>>
>>20700840
Since you have such nice mushrooms I would skip all meat, let the mushrooms be the stars of the dish
>>
File: 1715493782441770.jpg (961 KB, 1413x1079)
961 KB
961 KB JPG
>>20700966
sloppa time. It tastes very inviting and complex. Much better than I expected since I thought the pink oyster mushrooms were going to be too pungent.
>>
File: erin-patterson.png (717 KB, 778x436)
717 KB
717 KB PNG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.