[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: The French Laundry.jpg (361 KB, 1024x768)
361 KB
361 KB JPG
Have you ever eaten at one of those famous restaurants that you have to reserve six months in advance? How did it go? Was it worth it?
>>
>>20701324
I'm not affectatious, so no.
>>
Nah I cook better than those trannies anyway. They wish they could get a seat at my table.
>>
>>20701331
What's on your menu?
>>
Yea a place in Atlantic City was good but not worth the wait and process
>>
>>20701324
>Have you ever eaten at one of those famous restaurants that you have to reserve six months in advance?
No.

>How did it go?
I never went to one.

Was it worth it?
I told you I haven't been to one.
>>
>>20701354
thanks
>>
>>20701334
Big black cock
>>
>>20701365
I can make chicken with soy sauce at home
>>
No and I will never. No food is worth making an appointment. Basically only doctors and lawyers can get me to make an appointment with them. Everyone else can suck my dick
>>
Is that a real thing? I'm so poor I don't even know. I thought "The Menu" was for the most part fictional.
>>
>>20701324
>Have you ever eaten at one of those famous restaurants that you have to reserve six months in advance?
Yeah
>How did it go?
Fine
>Was it worth it?
Sure
>>
>>20701324
No.

>Is it worth it?
No.
>>
>>20701328
>>20701331
>>20701345
>>20701354
>>20701378
>>20701483
Do you even dream of sushi?
>>
>>20701936
I dream of raping women during fighting matches or mining gummy candies in the desert with my dad. No sushy.
>>
>>20701943
>mining gummy candies in the desert with my dad
Not a fan of the other dream but that sounds like a pretty cool one.
>>
>>20701324
yeah
mid
no
>>
yes, a couple

they're not all the same
one was very good, the other was trendy/gimmicky
>>
>>20701956
Australian outback, old rustic cattle ranch. Wooden stalls set up around these giant lumps of gummies and we smack them with pickaxes to collect them in metal buckets to process or sell them. Kinda like we're old west goldminers or something. Pretty comfy when that dream comes along. I don't dream very often, mind you. The other dream just happens every few months. I don't control these things.
>>
>>20701324
no, i've only heard from a friend that the food is usually pretty bad, and that you only visit those kinds of places "for the experience"
>>
>>20701324
No, but I'd be interested in French Laundry because they use Mangalitsa pork.
>>
>>20702028
What's special about that pork?
>>
>>20701324
>yes

How did it go?
>better than i had expected, every little detail was perfect, you end up relaxing once you realize that almost everyone around you is in the same situation

Was it worth it?
yes id definitely try another
>>
>>20702054
Marbling, fat cap and flavor. Mangalitsas don't mature or produce as much meat yield so commercial farmers never bother raising it. TK's mangalitsa supplier was some venture capitalist that dropped out of the financial industry to raise pigs.
>>
File: idyllfarms.png (1.45 MB, 842x1024)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB PNG
>>20702074
>TK's mangalitsa supplier was some venture capitalist that dropped out of the financial industry to raise pigs.
Weird. That reminds me of Idyll Farms. It was started by a hedge fund billionaire and eventually produced award-winning goat cheese.
>>
>>20701324
Several, but the only one that has the longest reservation wait since it opened, prior to Michelin even being in the US, long wait.... due to repeat customers, is probably "Inn at :Little Washington"

The absolute fun I've had with a menu/evening is probably at Europea in Montreal.

The most obscure ingredients and traditional foods, might have been Matur og Drykkur in Reykjavik and no one tried to make me eat fermented shark.
>>
File: europea.jpg (287 KB, 960x960)
287 KB
287 KB JPG
>>20702091
>>
File: 1339463470897.png (29 KB, 200x200)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>20702091
>no one tried to make me eat fermented shark
Kek. Why are you so unadventurous, anon?
>>
Several times, yeah. I've worked in one of these places as a back-up (the sous chef at the time, now 2 Michelin star chef, is a personal friend), also had a Michelin inspector as a friend until he died a few years ago.
>How did it go?
Sometimes the food was so good it made you weak in the knees. Baffling. Other times it was just appalling. Cooked fish that was ice cold on the inside, unseasoned sauces (I don't mean 4chan meme seasoning, I mean salt), octopus cooked in whisky that tasted like whisky and nothing like octopus. The chef of the restaurant where I worked as a back-up retired and began working as a consultant for a snotty beach resort. Of course I went to eat there, and it was terrible. They cut corners everywhere to make more money.
>Was it worth it?
For me yes, because I write about gastronomy for a living. Any experience that gives me a reason to write something is worth it because at the very least I make my lost time and money back. If you want to go to a good restaurant yourself, however: talk to affluent people (notaries, entrepreneurs, the like) in your local pub(s) who like to live large. If 2 or 3 of them give you the same recommendation you've got a good chance. It's certainly not always the highest rated restaurants that perform best. Look for young people who worked at a high end place and are just starting out. You'll get a somewhat affordable price and usually very good food.
>>
>>20701984
Ive heard you dream every night, you just dont remember them all.
Last night i dreamed that my little siblings were staying with some old lady in her cabin, and for some reason i baked them cookies instead of the grandma. Also to turn off the lights in her house we had to poke them 3 times with long poles.
>>
Kinda.
The midwest has a bunch of "supper clubs", which are a sort of goofy half-restaurant, half-mason/elk/shriner mash-up.
Waited over a year to get dragged to an especially "exclusive" one by some family, and I assume it took so long solely because it served on Sundays and had a capacity of maybe 20 people.
Pretty good prime rib in a room that looked like an upscale funeral parlor, every table filled with 60+ year olds in midwestern white-tie best and beaming.

I'd eat there again, but I wouldn't wait on a list for it.
>>
>>20702109
It's supposed to taste like parm, for being fermented in soured milk, but a whifff of nasty ammonia. I did have "foal" (icelandic horse). It did seem cool to me that the original Vikings from 600 AD brought the horsestock that currently still lives there (and also cool that it's the reason they left the Roman Catholic church,when they would have starved witho0ut that year round food source, thanks to a ban on horsemeat edict). I got to see the annual sheep roundup by luck.

Icelandicair is extremely successful. The issue that I have with sampling some shark, is just the sheer numbers of tourists who layover overnight through Reykjavik now, and who try the oddity of "hackerl" (now considered unsustainably caught Greenland basking shark), and that along with eating minke whales, along with catching currently nesting puffins for smoked puffin. At some point, it will add up to do damage to the what used to be just for locals of a tiny tiny population. Lamb skulls and foal are farmed for their meat from the start. I tend to do the same logic for choosing fish that a short rest from overfishing.
>>
File: mcdamps_ec020.jpg (932 KB, 2000x1333)
932 KB
932 KB JPG
>Ctrl + F "Dorsia"
>Not one fucking hit
Smells like fucking summer in here
>>
>>20702150
Is that all you ever have to contribute, Van Patten? "What about fuckin' dinner?"
>>
>>20702146
Aw, leave the puffins alone.
>>
>>20701378
>Everyone else can suck my dick
Not if we need to get an appointment to do it.
>>
>>20702670
But he's on OpenTable, so it's easy
>>
>>20701466
It's mostly real except irl they just charge the retards who show up $6million instead of murdering them and the cooks kill themselves at home instead of performatively in the kitchen
>>
>>20701365
fag
>>
>>20702150
Your containment board awaits >>>/tv/

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.