[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (377 KB, 500x500)
377 KB
377 KB PNG
What is the correct way to make pizza dough?
I looked up pizza dough recipes and every damn one tells me something different.
For example some say to mix the yest in with the flour directly when kneeding, others say to activate it in warm water first, then some say to let the dough rise for 10 minutes on the counter, others to leave it in fridge over night, etc etc.
So what the fuck is the actually correct way to make pizza dough?
>>
>>20824637
>So what the fuck is the actually correct way to make pizza dough?
Whichever way you prefer and works for you.
>>
>>20824641
No. I want to do it properly.
Like they did in ancient roman pizzarias and in fancy pizzarias in Italy today. So it's delicious and tasty and not just some crap like that frozen pizza goyslop from the supermarket.
>>
File: 7456684534573573.jpg (208 KB, 713x830)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>20824637
the way i make a dough is pretty easy

2 dl of warm water
11 gr of dry yeast
some salt
some olive oil
mix
add some 00 flour
mix with a hand mixer
add more flour until consistency is nice and bouncy, it should be pretty loose
keep mixing for 10-20 minutes
let it rise either in room temp for 0,5-2 hours or over night in fridge
>>
>>20824647
>No. I want to do it properly.
Properly is whatever way you prefer and works for you.
>Like they did in ancient roman pizzarias and in fancy pizzarias in Italy today.
Two entirely different things and you're not gonna believe this but every single pizzaria will have their own way of making their dough, which will be the way they prefer and works for them.
>>
man i would love to make pizza but i have no garden so no pizza oven and making pizza in regular oven just sucks, it's not as good
>>
>>20824648
>add some 00 flour
how much approx?
also we don't have 00 flour here so i will have to use just regular white flour
>>
>>20824670
use durum then

for like 3-4 pizza, maybe 3-4 dl, i never measure it
>>
File: file.png (2.35 MB, 1213x901)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB PNG
>>20824637
>So what the fuck is the actually correct way to make pizza dough?
struggle and struggle making 100s of different doughs until you find out what works best for you, are you some fucking cat-eater/-kicker that wants a handout???

See, the reason theres 1000 different recipes is no one can just post THE recipe for dough, that would be boring and plain and repetitious, you gotta do your one thing different to make it yours so that you can say thats MY recipe and drive them clicks to your website/channel!

So ill tell you this you little handout-looking-for third worlder:
theres cold proof and normal proof
only find recipes that measure in grams. don't ever measure with anything other than grams, ever
ALWAYS work in percentages of flour, in grams. ALWAYS
do not use AP flour, you dont have to use 00 either. 12% gluten

very important: yeast goes in the fridge.

>>20824648
>handmixing pizza dough for 10-20 minutes
had me a good laff there mate, cheers

>>20824670
>ap flour
u dun goofed

>>20824677
>durum
heres my yellow pizza dough
>>
>>20824679
>>handmixing pizza dough for 10-20 minutes
>had me a good laff there mate, cheers
you need to get that nice viscosity in the dough
>>
File: file.png (141 KB, 452x433)
141 KB
141 KB PNG
>>20824713
yeah but I had envisioned you using the regular mixing blades, i forgot about the dough hooks that some have.
i use a kitchenaid, its indispensable.
>>
>>20824637
>mix the yest in with the flour directly when kneeding, others say to activate it in warm water first,
fresh yeast vs dry yeast
fresh you have to knead in, dry you have to re-hydrate
>>
File: 673434236357.png (90 KB, 369x869)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
>>20824738
yeah, i use these kinds
>>
>>20824637
You go to an Italian restaurant and you but dough balls from them. By law, only Italians are allowed to make pizza dough properly, so you're fucked. Lucky for me, I found out I'm 3% Italian when I did my genetic testing, so I can make my own now, ya HOO!
>>
>>20824713
kneading is overrated
i hand knead for 3 min and get 90% of the way there, going for another 15min ain't worth it
>>
File: pizza recipe 2024.jpg (196 KB, 1094x725)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
>>20824637
>>
>>20824746
>fresh yeast vs dry yeast
There's fresh, dry and instant yeast. Instant yeast you just mix into the flour. Fresh & "dry active" you re-hydrate in water (usually also with some sugar).
>>
>>20824647
>ancient roman pizzerias
>>
>>20824887
Yes. Heracles went down to his his local Pizza Parthanon and got dough.
>>
File: file.png (642 KB, 780x980)
642 KB
642 KB PNG
>>20824887
>>20824898
get pissed on fags
>>
>>20824887
Yes, the original Little Caesar's in Ancient Rome, home of the 5 denarii "Calidum et Paratum" pizza pie. It taste so good when u ain't got a vestal virgin in ya ear telling you it's nasty.
>>
>>20824637
I just buy it premade from Walmart fr fr
>>
>>20824637
I use calbal dough calculator for my Neapolitan dough, but it only works in high temp ovens.
>>
>>20824911
>5 denarii "Calidum et Paratum" pizza pie
5 denarii is like two weeks pay for a soldier during the republic era
>>
>>20824966
Sorry, I don't follow Star Wars trivia.
>>
>>20824907
>while it cannot technically be considered a pizza
>>
File: file.png (2.62 MB, 1199x893)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB PNG
>>20824679
>>20824647

300g bread flour
65% water
2% sugar
2% salt
1% yeast
2-3% fat (optional)
>>
>>20824637
>some say to mix the yest in with the flour directly when kneeding
what shit recipes are you using?
>>
>>20824647
Properly is high hydration with a wood burning pizza oven. Dealing with high hydration dough is not fun and good luck affording a legitimate pizza oven.
>>
>>20825182
>legitimate pizza oven.
kek, literally just go to a home depot and buy 20 cheap house bricks (or steal for free from some construction site) and build yourself a cheap as fuck pizza oven
only a retard would buy a finished oven when a shitty brick one does 100% the same exact job
>>
>>20825188
I use a pizza stone myself. I'm just saying, if OP is going to be this picky about things...
>>
>>20825188
Also, you need to make sure those bricks you're using are cooking safe. Some bricks have certain ingredients in them that when put to a high flame, cause poisonous fumes that can become infused to your foods.
>>
Why do people think there's some magical way of making pizza that they are using in Italy?
I have had Italian pizza and it's fine, but you can barely say that it and American pizza are the same thing, Italian pizza is more like thin bread with tomato sauce on top while American pizza which everyone is more familiar with has much more cheese with toppings, if you are trying to make authentic American style pizza then look to places where the Italian immigrants in the US moved to and find their recipes.
>>
>>20824907
tomato's are a new world food, please explain how the Romans would have had pizza with no tomato sauce
>>
>>20825218
there's something about american style pizza, at least where I am in europe, it used to be very generous on ingredients, tomato, cheese and all the topings, but since then it has gone through severe shrinkization and greedy with the ration of the topings applied, and if that was not enough they added some kind of ultra fucked up fat/oil to the pizza, literally what the fuck happened there?
>>
>>20825224
Pizza predates the discovery of the New World
I don't think anyone can claim ownership of baking stuff on disks of leavened bread, tho
>>
>>20825182
You can't afford a thousand dollars?
>>20825188
It won't do the same job, the floor of Neapolitan style pizza ovens is made of clay that has a lower thermal transfer rate than other types of floors which allows the crust to cook and not burn at the temps the oven operates at.
>>
>>20825236
That's because you're a europoor. Pizzas are still loaded up with cheese and meats here in the USA.
>>
>>20825357
I remember when pizza hut was good, fuck this shit
>>
>>20824966
That's what they get for voting for Cinna
>>
>>20825182
Pizza ovens are down into the hundreds of neetbux now. You can go propane or wood/charcoal as you prefer. They all get into the 700-800 degF range for good pie.

And even if you wanted to piss and moan that the commercial options are "not authentic" you can just build a backyard oven for the cost of concrete mix and bricks/stones. Plenty of DIY guides online for that shit, and it's gonna run you similar neetbux to the commercial ones. And if you rent, well too fucking bad, consume your goyslop like globohomo intends from the chains.
>>
>>20824637
>for 10 minutes on the counter, others to leave it in fridge over night, etc etc.

Rise time is definitely at least 30 min at proofing temps (which isn't room temp by the way, unless you live in a hot tropical area with no A/C). Best to use an oven with a PROOF mode or an electric proofing box. Only put it on the counter if you are sweating literally in the kitchen. Cold proofing in the fridge takes way longer, but you get more fermentation flavor that way, which is why some people prefer it (and most chains do that).
>>
>>20824647
>No. I want to do it properly.
nta but in that case there are multiple different ways you can make pizza dough properly/correctly. some people use a lot of water, others use honey instead of sugar, i even know a pizza place that adds a touch of pineapple juice to their dough and they make a great pizza. the idea is understanding the basics and making it to your liking. that's why you find varying recipes when you look for them. pick the one you like the most and make it. then you can look back and think about what you liked and what you'd like to change.

its just bread after all
>>
>>20824647
>ancient roman pizzarias
So use flatbread instead of pizza dough
>>
>>20825953
>so use cooked dough instead of cooking uncooked dough
ok.
>>
>>20825865
my recipe doesn't call for sugar at all
>>
>>20825007
that crust is shit
>>
>>20824648
>2 drachma of warm water
>mix it for 20 minutes
>let it rise in the fridge over night

what the fuck am i reading
>>
>>20824637
ok op

basic concepts
dont use old fucking yeast
proof your yeast. you dont need to, but for the effort, its just simply worth it. a bit of water about 100F for that active instant yeast and a dash of sugar.

does salt inhibit yeast? yes, BUT the neapolitan way, as i understand, is to add yeast after you have begun mixing water/salt/flour - once the mixture becomes a bit like a soft wet batter (say 1 or two cups flour added) it makes space for the yeast to live and not get fucked by the salt.

you have to learn the textures of moist and too wet - you want a moister dough. you have to learn 'silky' - when the dough is mixed well and not clumpy or stringy. Secret is that time and moisture make silky dough for pizza - not mixing.

also, autolysis. there are varying opinions on this, but if you take about 20 minutes to make your wet dough, you are effectively performing autolysis, which is letting the dough proteins break themselves down some in the water.

so ok

1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt, more or less. mix those together.

start adding flour, half a cup at a time, getting it thoroughly moist and unclumped.

you can add the water / yeast mixture anytime after it gets to a crepe batter type density. I add it when i want the dough texture to feel more wet, but around two cups more or less max.

1/2 cup and 1/2 cup get you to three. incorporate and get it all wet well. i do this all by hand. some dont. roman pizza adds a splash of milk for bacterial variety. i prefer not to (unless like 1/2 teaspoon). also, 1/3, 1/4 cup of a second type of grainy flour can open the flavor profile of the dough - but do that at the beginning for autolysis to have its effect.

1/2 and 1/2 gets you to four cups-ish... at this point you choose. Is my dough too wet? is my dough just tacky enough? ad lib. a bit of water, a bit of flour... get your dough ball too tacky but doesnt stick.

happy? let dough rest until rises. punch down split into 3 and let rise individually.
>>
>>20826579
oops
get your dough ball to not too tacky, where it is wet but doesnt stick.

split into three and let rise. cold ferments promotes bacterial growth and flavor.

too much heat/yeast and the yeast east all the protein (structure) leaving a sticky mess of dough impossible to work with, but often tasty.

dont roll your dough. protect the rim/corniche to get light puffy neapolitn crust

you want light, fluffy, but a crisp to the edge, with good color. dough begins to smell like popcorn when its about done.

home oven? bake crust and sauce, maybe 5 minutes at 530F.

pull out add toppings and put it under the broiler to finish.

use a stone or a steel of course.

i dont have a fancy oven. so, yeah.
>>
>>20826579
>>20826588
for best flavor, let rise overnight. if cold fermenting then it will be longer. two nights is good, but you likely have to punch the dough down and lt it rise again. why? the yeast have eaten all the food arund them and need more. this of course puts you on the route to collapsed dough where the yeast has over run its food and starts eating everything and the dough is a sticky gross mess (tho usable with great difficulty).
>>
>>20825218
because longer and better cooking cultures invested in quality
>>
How do I get my crust nice and fluffy? More bread like in texture. Most of the time my crust edges come out hard and crispy, but not chewey. Everything with toppings and sauce on it turns out fine however.
>>
>>20824637
You get a larger yeast colony by blooming it in warm water first. A bit of sugar or flour in there will not hurt.
A ten minute rise is not enough time. 1h min at room temp, or overnight in the fridge. I think you'll be happiest with a 1-2h rise at room temp, shaping the dough, coating with oil (seasoned if you'd like), and letting it sit for another 1-6h, reshaping/pressing as necessary before baking.
>>20824647
Ancient Roman pizzerias wouldn't have really been a thing, especially considering that tomatoes didn't hit Italy until the Columbian exchange, and weren't considered edible for some time afterward.
>>
File: pizza recipe.png (251 KB, 862x961)
251 KB
251 KB PNG
>>20824637
That's a pretty broad question. Are you using a home oven, or a pizza oven? If a pizza oven, which kind? Pic related is what I use in my Halo oven. I quintuple the recipe, then divide into 4 boules to make a 16" pizza. This dopugh freezes very well. Don't overmix or your crust will be tough.
>>20827029
Try working the dough less, and perfecting your dough stretching technique.
>>
>>20826001
Since it's "cooked dough" you should use sliced white wonder bread for your pizza
>>
>>20827046
Not all pizza has a tomato base, anon. Particularly not all pizza in Italy.
>>
>>20827159
Rip tom
>>
>>20827229
And yet all markets specializing in the sale of pizza offer a tomato base to their pizza.
>>
>>20827245
Did he died?
>>
>>20827425
Yea, a few years ago at that.
He was a regular poster on pizza making.com
>>
>>20824637
You follow the instructions on the yeast as to when to add it.

You let the dough rise until its got enough air in it, you need to decide for yourself how airy you want your dough to be.
>>
>>20825344
Put a pizza stone in there.
>>
>>20828193
They aren't the same, if you ever used a high temp oven you would know that.
>>
>>20824637
just buy it premade from dollar tree
>>
>>20827029
good yeast and dont fuck with the crust/edge when stretching your pie
>>
Every time i try to make pizza my dough ends up sucking. I use regular fine grain white flour 70% hydration but every time time i try to pull the ball into a flat pizza it's very hard to do, it stretches unevenly and has tears in it. I don't undertstand why.
I followed people on youtube making the same dough as they have and when they start stretching their pizzas they are literally like rubber circles stretching incredibly easily, while mine just tears... i will have to start using a rolling pin probably.
>>
>>20829224
you cant roll pizza m8

you dont "pull" ball, you use your fingertips to make a crust edge, press the center flat, and do a bit of pushing, then lift it, thumb under the crust and let gravity do the stretching.

dont attempt until the dough is silky.
>>
>>20829224
Lower hydration to 60%. You need to knead better.
>>20824637
There is no one correct way but some ways are better than others. Overnight cold fermentation and a pizza stone are the two most important things you can do for good home pizza.
>>
>>20829361
yu can make a gret pie with minimal kneading
>>
>>20824647
It completely depends on what you want to do with it. The basics don't change. It's just flour, yeast, water, and maybe salt, sugar, oil. Those little changes depend on what kind of pizza you're trying to make. And the biggest factor is the percent hydration of the dough.
>>
File: file.png (807 KB, 1000x532)
807 KB
807 KB PNG
what do you think about pizza ovens like this?
it's compact, and can go up to 400C, almost 2x of what normal oven can do.
Seems ideal and only costs $100
>>
>>20829391
Never used one, but you never ever see these recommended. Maybe big outdoor pizza oven has all the sites in their pocket, but I dunno.
>>
>>20829391
fuck.... need to reckless impulse purchase.... RISING
>>
>>20829404
Will wood fired pizza oven produce better pizza than small electric oven? Of course. No question about it.
But the simple fact is that wood fired pizza oven is a pipe dream for most anons here who live in commie blocks.
And high temperature is a very important thing when making pizza so not only is this better as normal ovens usually top out at 250C so this will do 150C more but it also saves you a lot of electricity as it heats up faster and uses less power since it's smaller volume of air inside.

Also in my local pizzerias in the city they use electric ovens and their pizzas are delicions, so any way i look at it this seems ideal.
And not only that,unless you cook big batches of food for a lot of people, you can bake anything else int his oven too and literally replace your big energy wasting, slow owen with it completely.
>>
>>20829411
>Also in my local pizzerias in the city they use electric ovens and their pizzas are delicions
I'm sorry you live in flyover country. Like, it's not even a big ask to have a solid fuel brick oven. They aren't expensive to build. If you're making pizzas all day, they're worth it. But yeah, when you're best is Pappa Jawns, I guess you get what you deserve.
>>
>>20824966
>From a purity of greater than 90% silver in the 1st century AD, the denarius fell to under 60% purity by 200 AD, and plummeted to 5% purity by 300 AD
damn
>>
>>20829423
>>Also in my local pizzerias in the city they use electric ovens and their pizzas are delicions
if your store is located in a small room in the city center there is no space for wood oven
there is actually one place that offers wood fired oven pizza but they charge almost 2x more than from electric oven so i almost never pick that option, i actually did once because i was curious and to be honest there is no difference between wood fired and electric pizza. It's all about temperature if the electric can reach high enough temp the pizza will be identical to wood oven pizza
>>
>>20829429
fucking lol
>>
>>20829411
>e, you can bake anything else int his oven too and
Anything flat that is.
The heating element is like two inches above the stone, so you won't be able to fit like a chicken or such in there, only flat things like pizza.
>>
>>20827297
They offer non-tomato bases too, you dumb sperg.
>>
>gret pie
>>
>>20824637
if you're making pizza rossa or bianca, it's just flour, yeast, water, salt, and oil. a lot of italian bread doughs will use a starter, like levain or biga.
the yeast prep depends on the yeast type. any fresh fast acting or rapid rise doesn't need to be "proofed". if you've got old or traditional yeast, you can add it to warm water and wait 15 minutes before adding it to the dough.
leaving in the fridge overnight is the same as using a biga as a starter. the phase the yeast in a living starter are in will produce a more complex "sourdough" than using fresh yeast. it's not required for good, quick, crisp pizza, though.
the only things I consider necessary for that are a baking stone, an oven that can hit 550F, and a dough made from a mix of all-purpose and cake flour. if you want light and fluffy with a cracker crisp crust that cooks up in 10 minutes flat, start there.

dough is so tough that entire restaurant chains are built around their production techniques. an endless combination of time sensitive methods and ingredients will produce a wide variety of outcomes that you probably don't want to have to account for if you're not into refreshing cultures or making bread multiple times a week. you can approximate a lot of it, but you're better off just focusing on playing with one part until you find something you like.
>>
>>20827159
literally the recipe i posted >>20825007 aside from a .5% diff in yeasties.

>>20826516
youre a shitdick who prob likes the burnt pieces of shit like >>20825218
>>
>>20829958
Neapolitan pizza is good though and tom liked it too when he was alive.
>>
>>20829445
Hey... go focaccia yese'f. Maybe bring your own barbecue sauce.
>>
>>20826530
A metric recipe allowing for a cold ferment.
- dL is deciliter - a 10th of a liter, or 100mL.
- a 20 minute mix would definitely give a lot of chew to this dough. That gluten matrix would be tighter than my glutes after leg day.
- rising a dough in the fridge is known as cold fermentation. It's more even, and will keep a lot of wild bacteria and wild yeast (the kind what sour doughs) dormant. Many pizzerias use this method. Some pastries and breads are impossible to make properly without it.
- If 200mL of water costs you anything at all in dead currency, look into where the water's coming from - maybe it's worth it.
>>
tried making pizza on pizza stone in my electric oven and the pizza keeps sticking to the stone
wat do?
>>
>>20830573
stone wasn't hot enough
also use some corn meal on the pizza peel

wait did you make the pizza on the cold stone then put it in the oven?
>>
>>20830620
>stone wasn't hot enough
i can't make it any hotter the oven goes to 250C max
also i have to leave it there for 10 minutes for it to fully bake so the crust is always hard and dry
i think i have no choice but to buy that small pizza oven
>>
>>20830626
How long did you preheat for, it can take an hour to heat soak the stone.
>>
File: file.png (226 KB, 500x451)
226 KB
226 KB PNG
>>20830636
20 mins
but no way it takes that long, i have been looking at this cunt here and it only takes 10 minutes to heat up and the pizza from it comes out perfect
i am really struggling right now to come up with reasons not to buy it
>>
>>20830641
Perhaps you should try actually preheating the stone first, it takes 45min minimum and ideally an hour.
>>
>>20830641
its smug aura mocks me
>>
>>20830650
thats too long and too wasteful to sit around for an hour with empty just to make one small pizza in 10 minutes
i am literally about to press order on that oven
only god can stop me now
>>
>>20830690
Well if you're too retarded to figure out how to use what you already have do you have any hope for something new?
And to explain why what you're thinking of getting would work better is because it's floor is much thinner and is less than an inch away from it's heating element.
>>
>>20830626
whats the hydration percent of the dough?
20 min at 250c is plenty hot and long enough .
never heard of a pizza sticking to a stone before, especially if the pizza is sliding off the peel ok.

are there torn spots in the crust where sauce/cheese is getting in contact with the stone?
>>
>>20830626
you should def preheat everything as long as you can. make a peel. cover it with flour, slide your pie in. if your using a dough so wet that you cant do this, youre using an unnecessarily wet dough recipe id say. if you want to continue with that recipe, form your crust on parchment, cut the excess paper away and put the whole thing in the oven. paper comes off fine. but this really shouldnt be an issue and a fancy oven wont solve it.
>>
>>20830636
>hour to heat soak the stone
Not unless your stone is 2" thick.
>>
>>20824647
>I want to do it properly.
The wide variety of techniques should tell you that exactly how you do it isn't too critical.
>>
>>20831255
oh, i dunno
people have different tastes and some have bad taste.
there are some core concepts which are worth getting the hang of
>>
Honestly just 2 parts flour 1 part water mix it with your hands until it gets sticky and then let it sit for an hour. After an hour fold, don't knead it. Let rest. Repeat a few times. Easy as pie
>>
>>20831708
once its risen, add your yeast.
>>
>>20824647
There are a lot of good ways to make pizza. Italian pizza actually sucks, so don't use that as your standard. The right type of dough depends on what kind of pizza you want to make, and how you're going to cook it. I've been making pizza in my cast irons, following this dough recipe:
2 and 3/4 cup flour
1 cup + 1 tablespoon warm water
1.25 teaspoon yeast
.75 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
Knead for a few minutes, let rise for about 8 hours. Oil up your cast iron pan and gently press the dough into it, spreading the dough out towards the edges as the gluten relaxes. Let rise for about 20 min, prepare your toppings, make the pizza and bake at 500F for 20-25 min depending on how many toppings you have. And wa la

This dough works well for cast iron pizza but if you're baking on something else your end result will be different. There is no "correct" way to make pizza dough, things like rise time, volume of yeast, kneading, activating yeast, ratio of water to flour, are going to vary a lot. Although, pretty much any dough you're making from scratch is going to be better than premade pizza crust you find at the grocery store. Just try different recipes and see what you like.
>>
>>20831923
>20-25 minutes
>italian pizza sucks
oh lord
>>
>>20830641
that looks pretty cool, i looked up similar ones and they only cost a little over hundred buckaroos
i'm just not sure if i can justify one in my cramped kitchen if i would use it once every two weeks to make one pizza, and nothing else like a lasagna bowl won't fit inside of it
>>
>>20832322
bitch thers all sorts of ovens

and if you mke a pie every two weeks, its clearly wrth it
>>
i never understood why whenever people on youtube make pizza, they make the dough and then cut the dough in half and in another half! so they actually make enough dough for 4 pizzas but what if i only want literally 1 pizza
>>
>>20824637
>activate it in warm water first,
if the yeast packet is old or damaged, and the little yeasties fail to come alive, you could waste time and effort, and more important more substantial amounts of more expensive ingredients such as butter or other dairy, therefore old timey cooks fed the yeast and checked it first for activity.

Overnight dough is known to have more developed flavors, but yea isn't great for last minute plans. If you do have prep time, overnight is ideal.
>>
>>20829364
I didn't feel like explaining how gluten develops with just time and how to do stretch and folds.
>>
File: 1602719840793.jpg (253 KB, 1080x1920)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
>>20831923
was this you anon? be honest
>>
>>20831923
>bake at 500F for 20-25 min
mental illness.
>>
File: 1724961220375950.png (1.32 MB, 1280x720)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB PNG
https://youtu.be/G-jPoROGHGE?t=232
followed this except i used my dough mixer on 1 for 8min. i fucked up with my dough balls tho, i thought my box was large enough and it wasnt. the dough stuck together and when taking out a piece it all deflates.
still the best pizza i ever made, just a shame i couldnt get the crust as fluffy as it is supposed to be. its a fair bit more involved than puck's recipe chef john has been proliferating, but 100% superior in fluffiness and taste.
this bake was 4min at 370c, but i opened the door at about 3:15 because otherwise the top chars too much while at 3min the dough has just that hint of yeasty undercooked.
>>
>>20835106
looks good
>>
>>20835106
it's burnt
i don't care what any italian pizza fags tell you, if the crust is black or deep brown it's fucking burnt, hard and tastes like shit
>>
>>20835232
you are a retarded faggot that knows nothing of the maillard reaction happening on mm thin dough bubble top. kys or get the fuck off ck you brain dead animal.
>>
>>20835245
lol
cry more while you shove down the disgusting burned pizza down your throat fag
>>
>>20835251
you are retarded and flaunt your retardation, are you a mutt by any chance? because thats usually their national trait.
>>
>>20835254
no I'm just an idiot
>>
>>20835232
>>20835251
when you get browning, the flour is cooked and gives off an aroma almost like popcorn, kinda like when you make a roux.

a bit of char is really delicious and that pie barely has any.

but really, yu are showing an amazing amount of ignorance.

>>20831923
this guy makes rocky crust cuz he bakes a pizza for 20 minutes (fucking lol) tho in a pan pie with everything slothered in sauce you can get away with it.

>>20835106
a pie like this, done right, cooked fast at a high temp makes a very thin crisp layer, a fine crispness on the outside of the crust and the yeast and gass, if you didnt fuck up the corniche and even someyimes when you do, mixed with the high hydration, makes a light soft open interior.

you dont belong in a pizza thread my man with your meme comprehension.
>>
File: 1695686840407440.jpg (2.79 MB, 4608x2592)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB JPG
>>20835310
>if you didnt fuck up the corniche
i didnt and i did. the poolish rose like 3x after 1h room and 16 in fridge, after mixing with the rest and lightly tossing it with olive oil a couple of times it was still the most pleasant dough i ever felt in my life.

but then i packed the balls into my box like fucking sardines into a can, i assumed it would be a bitch to separate them later but fine otherwise. obviously a mistake because they deflate a fuckton during the violent separation.

this was my first time handling a dough this airy, i can do the pinch and rotate dough stretching but none of the more advanced shit, and this dough Definitely needs proper handling techniques.
still, i didnt manage to fully deflate it, the crust was fairly fluffy. just not as fluffy as proper handling would have made it.
>>
>>20835332
yeah, handling is key (though a good dough shines through). i store each ball individually. when I was young and naive i let it all sit in one big bowl and just cut some off as necessary lol.
>>
>>20824647
>ancient roman pizzarias
topkek
>>
why does my dough taste like beer? i let it raise only 24 hours in a fridge
also despite having it coated with olive oil and in a covered bowl it had a hard dry crust on top of it
>>
>>20835888
Is the container you're using fully airtight? The C02 produced by fermentation might be re-entering the dough if it can't escape the container and may be imparting that brewing odor.
>>
>>20836448
If it was fully airtight it wouldn't rise that much, the more likely answer is that he is using too much yeast.
>>
>>20836448
>covered
>air-tight
likely dried out?

>>20836474
airtight doesnt stop dough rising. too much yeast makes dough fall apart, not get crusty.
>>
I'm good on dough recipes. Where I struggle is the shaping, it's pretty difficult.
I've been following https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKppwbiqNK4 but I just can't get the dough uniform when shaping, some areas have too much dough and some look translucent enough that it'll rip. It's hard to get practice in because high gluten flour isn't cheap.
Also after doing it a few times I'm not that big of a fan of the sauce. I might try out cast iron or detroit since it looks much easier. The problem with that is I've tried it once and it stuck to the pan, and for detroit I both don't have one and don't have access to brick cheese.

I really like neapolitan pizzas but I'm not buying an ooni or woodfire oven so that's out the window.
>>
>>20824907
>he's never had a Pom'Zah
>>
>>20830636
>How long did you preheat for, it can take an hour to heat soak the stone.
That's just nonsense. More so with a steel plate.
>>
>>20836769
pizza stone, oven to 5320-550F, cook crust and sauce for five minutes, add topings n cheese, finish under the broiler - gets you close as you can get to neapolitan at home with no oven..

shaping is easy, but not always perfect. Finger tips pressing pushing inside the crust, rotate around til big enough to put over your fist, crust over the thumb nice and safe and let gravity do the work.
>>
>>20836769
The only way to get better is to practice, a LOT, and don't be afraid to throw away dough balls if you fuck up. Or just do what I did and say fuck making Neapolitan/NY style at home, just make bar style. It's so much easier and the taste is like 90% as good.
>>
>>20836993
how do you fuck up a dough ball so badly you have to throw it away?

my favorit post was tis one thread whre some dude bought an ooni or whatever and was hey guys made my first pizza ever!! and the fucking thing was perfect.
>>
>>20837377
>how do you fuck up a dough ball so badly you have to throw it away?
It's not that it becomes inedible it just becomes subpar pizza and I'd rather throw it away than waste the cheese and toppings on subpar pizza.
>>
>>20824637
Buy a Tony's frozen pizza, preheat to 400, put it in the oven for 20 minutes. Walla, bone apple teeth.
>>
>>20837472
put it in the bin and let it rise.

or make a calzone.
>>
>>20824664
If you can get your oven to 475F you can make a decent pizza. I use a pizza screen, I can get a cracker-crust if I make it thin enough.
>>
File: 1726170911201935.png (610 KB, 1200x1200)
610 KB
610 KB PNG
>>20824664
get one of these cheap pizza cookers. theyre bloody brilliant
>>
>>20836448
>Is the container you're using fully airtight?
no, just a bowl covered by a towel

i guess i could try using half the yeast tho, i think the bag is about 5grams and i used 500g of flour
>>
>>20836769
just get that electric pizza oven one anon posted above, i have similar one and it makes all the difference, baking pizza at 400C vs the 250C your normal oven maxes at is a huuuge difference
>>
>>20837857
One thing that is stopping me from getting one is the lack of utility. You can only make pizza in it, it's so thin nothing else will fit in there.
>>
>>20837860
from my research i found out the flour it might be the flour, i used regular fine grain flour, but that is regular one with regular amount of gluten and for pizza you need super high gluten flour for the yeast to eat
>>
>>20837883
covered by a towel lets the dough dry out.
lots of recipes for some reason call for absurd amounts of yeast.
if youre gonna cold ferment you can get away with 1/2 teaspoon instant dry yeast and pull off good dough. your flour isn't likely the problem.
>>
>>20837875
just how fucking poor are you? at some point in an adult's life comes the understanding that most hobbies cost money and that you just exchange money for joy from your hobby.
we are not discussing bread baking or survival on ramen and a five bucks a week budget here, the pizza of today is purely a luxuriant (in terms of necessity) indulgence food.
hell, the fucking takeout trash like domino or pizza hut costs like 1/6 the price of that ferrari or whatever pizza thing per pie.
>>
File: melvin.png (77 KB, 443x449)
77 KB
77 KB PNG
i dont know if this is a bad idea or not but when i poke the dough with my fork to prevent air bubbles i put seasoning inside of the holes :)
>>
You're making the dough to make the pizza because you're hungry right? Just let it rise for 15 to 20 minutes or it'll be too unleavened and doughy, don't listen to the brick oven elitism here because as long as the dough is good you'll get a good pie. Thanks for making this thread because I would have forgotten to add garlic powder and herb seasonings the next time I make dough if I hadn't been thinking of what to tell you. Also add lemon rind zest to the sauce with a cheese grater, if you do this with a Marguerita pizza it is tastier than anything you can douse onto too many layers of cheese
>>
>>20838689
>just how fucking poor are you?
extremely
i value my free time over being a wage slave that throws away a third of his livespan working a wagecuck job and therefore i am a long term penniless net and a purchase such as that $150 pizza oven is a massive expensive for me and thus a big decision
>>
>>20838775
my condolences, neetdom in germanistan has me figuring out what to do with 560e each month.
if you have access to a piece of land you could always consider building a real pizza oven, that will certainly be far cheaper.
>>
>>20838730
Why not just put seasoning inside of the dough itself?
>>
>>20838730
>to prevent air bubbles
>to prevent air bubbles
>to prevent air bubbles
>>
I've learned a lot about homemade pizza making and the most important thing is to keep it wet. It can be a huge slimy mess being basically 1:1 flour to water ratio and it'll still turn out good (you just add some flour to it until it's something you can grab and spread out onto a pan). The worst possible thing you can possibly do is let your pizza dough dry out. If it gets dry, your pizza dough is going to get hard and won't rise.

You see these perfect smooth wads of pizza dough like OP's pic >>20824637 and you gotta use them as soon as possible. This shit is going to get dried out really fast, even if you keep it in the fridge. Your dough shouldn't look like that until you're ready to bake it. Don't aspire to making pizza dough like that if it's going to be in the fridge for a few days. It'll be dried out by the time you get to using it.
>>20838730
you WANT to see air bubbles, that's how you know the yeast is working. Without bubbles, your yeast isn't doing anything.
>>
>>20824637
It's bread dough with olive oil, it's not rocket science, anon.
>>
>>20840121
>puts olive oil in a flour water salt yeast dough
>>
>>20840137
I don't know what that guy is getting at, specifically, but I use olive oil while kneading dough. Dough likes to get roughed up. The more you pound and roll it, the more elastic it'll become. olive oil prevents a wet sticky ball of dough from sticking to your hands.
>>
>>20840143
>The more you pound and roll it, the more elastic it'll become
>kneads his dough
>>
>>20840155
It doesn't make a huge difference, but I like to do it.
>>
>>20839275
They're just empty calories.
>>
>>20840430
i inject them with pepperoni grease
>>
File: 1701755237398582.png (599 KB, 600x600)
599 KB
599 KB PNG
bmup
>>
>>20842276
Wow, this is impressively unfunny.
>>
>>20842284
its a fucking bump image you sped. and shitalians do be like that as i recently found out, i was genuinely fucking shocked.
>>
>>20842286
Nobody asked
>>
>>20842290
eat shit (You) fucking needy child.
>>
>>20842292
There's no reason to throw a tantrum like this anon. Nobody is hurting you.
>>
>>20842299
im throwing a tantrum because you are unapologetically baiting out (You)s like an underaged faggot and hiroshimoot still cant be fucked to implement ids on all boards.
>>
>>20842305
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
this fucking guy
also dont put fucking pineapple on pizza goddamnit
>>
File: 1719263334301585.jpg (163 KB, 1280x720)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>20842444
what a fucking waste of digits by a faggot, truly tragic. ill make another one later today.
>>
>>20842454

good crust. gross fucking pie.
>faggot
ok pineapple boi
>>
>>20842809
>retarded tastelet noises
>>
>>20843284
is that a fetish of yours? i wouldnt know anything about it, as I dont fit any of those categories.

does remind me of your mother of course, of how cock retarded she got slobbering over my knob
she made cute retarded tastelet noises when i fucked her mouth
>>
>>20843333
jfc, are you seriously fucking using ai for shitposts? fucking hell son, rethink your fucking life.
>>
>>20843336
>retarded shitpost noises
>>
>>20824637
Mix yo shit.
Beat yo shit.
Rest yo shit.
Cut yo shit.
Roll yo shit.
Pretty simple, anon.
>>
>>20829958
>literally the recipe i posted >>20825007 aside from a .5% diff in yeasties.
You didn't include any instructions for how to assemble the dough.
>>
>>20844049
>roll
>>
>>20844330
>how to assemble the dough.
thought that bit was a lil self-explanatory, love.
you mix it together using whatever method you have.
>hands
>hand mixer
>stand mixer
you put it in and mix. i guess the info needed here would be when its "velvety smooth" its ready to proof. i use a hook on a kitchenaid so i go low to incorporate, 2 for the next 30sec to mix then up to medium speed 6 for 3-4 minutes until its ready.
after you make it a few times, youll know when its done, its smooth, no lumps of gluten, its very velvety in appearance, it looks like dough should when its ready, if it doesnt then mix/knead more
>>
>>20824637
Do a little experimenting??? make different batches? Leaving it in the fridge is an extra step you can take if you have the time it improves the texture and flavor of the dough but is not necessary. Just mix your ingredients, knead, let rise on counter and voila you have a pizza dough.
>>
>>20846223
you dont really need to knead to get that texture
>>
File: pizza.jpg (131 KB, 1161x507)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>>20824637
>>
>>20847479
This is wrong. Most quality pizzerias do not put oil in their dough. you add it after the toppings.
>>
>>20824637
>activate it in warm water first
This is no longer necessary. Boomer yeast used to be hit-or-miss. Yeast strains for the last 30+ years don't have problem waking up. No harm in doing it, though.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.