[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

forget about the japanese meme about folding rice for 15 years, corn tortillas are the real deal. i can't figure out how to make them stop breaking when making tacos even if i make them fresh. tell me abuelas secret
>>
not enough oil
>>
>>20842166
in the dough, or in the pan? every video i watch shows them putting it onto a hot surface with no oil
>>
>>20842179
In the dough, obviously
>>
>>20842138
The need to be warmed up when making tacos. Cold tortillas of any type will break. Get you a tortilla warmer, like they have at all the Mexican restaurants.
>>
lard
>>
>>20842453
they are warm. i make the dough, press it, heat on pan, and put it on a plate and cover it. they sit for a couple minutes and then i test each of them by bending it into a taco shape which caused them all to break in the middle. the inside of the tortilla was still dense, so maybe i didn't cook it long enough
>>
>>20842464
either your dough is too dry or you overcooked it
>>
>>20842497
it was around 100% hydration for the dough so i don't know about that. i didn't see any air inside the tortilla after cooking it, so i am leaning towards my cooking stage being wrong
>>
File: 1525521013240.png (1.45 MB, 831x876)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB PNG
>>20842543
Wrap them in a warm moist towel it keeps them perfectly supple.
Make sure your Masa to water ratio is correct also.
>>
Between these two videos, anyone should be able to make perfect corn tortillas.
https://youtu.be/4JBHQS-DEbI https://youtu.be/FzRgwUO5Gd8
>>
>>20842138
Use flour tortillas instead. Corn tortillas taste weird anyways
>>
>>20846000
>tortiya
fucking new worlders, its tortiLLa with a hard /ɟ/
>>
>>20842179
in the pan, that is how they make crispy tacos
>>
>>20842464
it does sound like you're just drying them out too much. when I cook them I don't take them out of the pan, I just add a new one to cook while the rest are stacked on the side of the pan. just shuffle the stack regularly to keep the bottom from burning. that way they stay warm and moist.
>>
corn tortillas have to be eaten warm/hot to stay pliable. they don't stay fresh very long. keep them in a tortilla warmer or under a towel after cooking. if reheating them, put some oil in a pan and heat until it's hot but don't cook it. you don't want to evaporate the water out of them or they'll become stiff. you can heat them in a dry pan but they're more likely to turn into tostadas by accident. the oil helps to moisten them if sone of the water has evaporated.
>>
>>20846314
is that an upside down f

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.