[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: slicer.jpg (180 KB, 1407x1223)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
Thinking about buying a slicer. Around 80 usd-ish. Anon got one?
Any regrets?
>>
>>20845727
I bought one, did not clean it properly, got sick and ditched it, story end.
>>
>>20845727
Looks like a bitch to clean and is an eyesore. Probably takes up a lot of counter space or storage space too. I have been considering one too for a while.
>>
>>20845727
>Thinking about buying a slicer
Why? I can't imagine you do enough thin slicing of meat for it to be worth it
>>
>>20845740
I'm thinking slices for cold cuts and sandwiches and wutevar.l
>>
>>20845748
Any reason not to buy some pre-sliced? It's getting refrigerated either way so I don't see the advantage to doing it at home
>>
>>20845740
not him but I've been considering this for doing things like hotpot/kbbq at home since no local butcher, no local asian grocer, and the regular grocery stores don't slice anything thin enough
>>
>>20845727
I bought a relatively cheap one (in the realm of $80) from Amazon a few years ago, ended up not being worth it really at all. I was going for really thin slices of various cuts of beef and they pretty much universally came out inconsistent and didn’t cut all the way through. Cleaning was intensive so it only became worth it on a big scale in that regard. Maybe I just had bad technique but I seem to recall googling how to use it efficiently but nothing really changed.

I just watched a YouTube short of a guy using a $120 slicer to slice an entire brisket and his evaluation was he got better results from a high quality hand slicer, but he pondered a higher quality slicer (he showed an example of a $350 one) may be more worth it.

Honestly unless you plan to slice large amounts frequently it’s probably not worth it. If you want to cut a roast for a month’s worth of meal prep you might have better luck just hand slicing it, at the cost of more energy, time, and attention required.
>>
>>20845727
ive worked in 2 delis + a pizza place that used a slicer and i can tell you 2 things. 1) they ARE dangerous. I worked with a woman who had been doing deli's for years and she was missing the tip of her finger from slicing it off 2) bitch to clean. you have to be real careful not to cut yourself on the blade and they are kind of a pain to put back together (you dismantle it for cleaning.
It's not practical unless you are slicing meat on an commercial scale
>>
>>20845727
An idea for alternative: Buy one of those $200 electric knife sharpeners they reviewed on America's Test Kitchen and use those to keep a carving knife sharp all the time. Ofc if you're good using a whetstone, by all means do that, but it sounds like you want to maximize your time, hence your interest in the sharpener.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkfYMjsW4Tg
>>
>>20846321
...interest in the *slicer
>>
>>20845727
Why would ANYONE own a slicer when these exist?
>>
>>20846327
>chop & mince machine
>slicer
>>
>>20845876
>you have to be real careful not to cut yourself on the blade and they are kind of a pain to put back together (you dismantle it for cleaning.
I worked at a deli too (4 years) and removing the blade was never something we did, ever.
Cleaning is a process but not really difficult. Especially at home without any time crunch it wouldn't be bad, just a spray bottle and paper towels.
The biggest reason not to own one at home is lack of use compared to the cost and space. Seemingly you can't just buy a cheap small one if you like thin slices (which, having worked in a deli, i will never order thin slices) so you'd have to get a good big one
>>
>>20846327
He is a woman beater and abuser and I can't support that
>>
>>20845748
How many sandwiches are you eating, anon?
>>
>>20845727
you guys have knives right?
>>
>>20846627
Of course not, I need more expensive gadgets for single use purposes.
>>
>>20846421
Its better for cramming

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.