[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_4967.jpg (2.78 MB, 4032x3024)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB JPG
How did I do with my onigiri? This is my first time making them as a gaijin, so apologies if I have fucked them up. I had a burst on the left, but the ones on the right look okay I think.

Recipe I used is this:

Rice ball:
Salt
Mirin
Water
Short grain white rice

Filling:
Katsuobushi
Mayo
Soy Sauce
Salt

They turned out alright, but they were kinda starchy and the shinpaku was a bit gritty. Any advice to help with that? I kinda wasn't using the right steamer, so it was sorta my fault. Other than that, I think I did okay. I am down for feedback from any cooks though, eastasian especially.

Here is the video of me cooking them if y'all wanna critique: https://www.media fire .com/file/uyc8xfhezcgtjzz/ssstik .io_1726808130547.mp4/file
>>
Looks like shit
>>
>>20849234
Oof.... I guess I am not housewife material then after all.
>>
Oh boy gaiz! I made a rice ball and stuffed shit in it!

Fuck off.
>>
>>20849296
You can't appreciate superior japanese food. Go back to eating your tajin covered gen z slop, normie. Not everything needs 54 spices and gordon ramsay plating to be delicious
>>
>>20849229
>kinda wasn't using the right steamer
?? how did you cook the rice
reconsider your technique for that and it'll be much better, the rice looks completely wrong for a short grain
>kinda starchy
did you wash the rice? you need to, this isn't an option, look up rice washing technique
not downloading that video
>>
>>20849249
I'd marry you, but probably only if they legalized spousal rape again and I could get your mother to move in with us
>>
rice needs to specifically be glutenous rice, not just short grain.
>>
>>20849330
>?? how did you cook the rice
reconsider your technique for that and it'll be much better, the rice looks completely wrong for a short grain

I rested my strainer above a pot full of water and covered it with a pan, kinda like how you melt chocolate. That was the only way I could steam it. I had to get creative because I am broke.

>did you wash the rice? you need to, this isn't an option, look up rice washing technique

Yep, I did. I soaked it in water 30mins before cooking. It softened it a lot, but the shinpaku was still powdery and gritty for some reason.

>>20849379
Marital rape is still legal in less cucked areas of the US, nerd. Just don't let the feds catch you.
>>
>>20849388
Ohhh, fr? Oof to me then, cause I got a massive bag of imported short grain rice for like $30 from the land of the rising sun.

I thought glutinous rice was used for mochi.... my bad.

I will definitely use glutinous rice instead next time.
>>
>>20849396
you might be able to make regular rice work by rinsing it very little or not at all, to preserve the starches. the more you rinse rice, the less sticky it becomes.
>>
>>20849407
Alrighty... I guess I could fry up the remaining rice then and start carefully with a new batch. I think that could work.

Tyvm for the tip!
>>
>>20849229
The one on the left doesn't look like it's having a good day.
>>
>>20849229
Thanks, looking at this helped me stay on track with my fast.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.