[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Konnichiwa, mina-san!

I have been really into miso soup lately and have been using the mixes pictured here. Does anybody else like miso soup? How do you make it?
>>
I'm actually glad you bought this up. I have been feeling really kawaii lately but was thinking of ways to be even more kawaii. My favorite food is already bento box so this actually helps! ^_^
>>
>>20907328
salmon fish heads, miso, tofu
turn burner real high and blast until boiling,
wa la
>>
>>20907433
>miso
>blast until boiling
Shamfur, you don't boil the miso
>>
>>20907328
I eat the same brand. They been making instant miso soups since 1662. I just squeeze the paste in a bowl, heat up water in the electric kettle, pour it on the paste and add the topping packet.
>>
>>20907328
Don't call me mina
>>
>>20907449
Of course. How the duck else would you use it, bakka?
>>
File: google Ryan Boundless.png (3.89 MB, 1999x1502)
3.89 MB
3.89 MB PNG
me so horny
>>
>>20907433
WRONG!!!!!! you don’t boil miso soup. you have to get it right up to the point before it boils or your soup is RUINED!!!! It has its own crazy word for a temperature that isn’t quit boiling but idk.J
>>
>>20907614
Konichwa, dude!
>>
>>20907411
It’s actually pretty tasty, I’ve thought about buying some extra dehydrated green onion to add to it because I like it so much
>>
>>20907328
I fold the package 1000 times to improve the flavor.
>>
>>20907638
Just chop up some fresh green onions. They’re cheap and taste so much better than dried. Pick up a bunch when you do your shopping and then add it to your soups and noodles and rices. I use scissors to cut it.
>>
>>20907328
I enjoy it alot. I prefer adding red miso to a hondashi stock with firm tofu, wakame, green onions, and whole baby clams. Flavorful, low calorie, cheap, quick, and easy.
>>
>in a large sauce pan let kombu and katsuo flakes simmer at a low heat for about 30 mins
>strain that shit
>add a block of tofu cubed up and some enoki mushrooms
>add both red and white miso

>in a large sauce pan throw in some clams (only got little neck clams rather than asari or that other kind shimeji till the shells open
>throw in awase miso (white and red, but a little heavier on the red ratio for this one

>same broth technique as the first one but throw in salmon neck or head
>daikon and carrots
>same awase miso routine because I like that shit
>>
I skip the tofu because I dont like to open a huge block just to make a small cup of soup.
>Get the kettle going
>Add a 1/4 tsp or so of hondashi granules to a cup or small bowl
>Add a tiny handful of dried wakame
>Pour the hot water over the hondashi and wakame
>Wait for the wakame to rehydrate and let the water cool
>muddle in the miso once the wakame has fully bloomed open
Miso shouldn't be boiled or put in very hot water because it kills the good bacteria. That being said, nothing is better in miso soup that old as fuck dried out back of the fridge miso that has mellowed to the point of being sour and sweet
>>
>wife buys me so paste
>It sits in the refrigerator for like a year and goes bad
>>
>>20907687
Yes, this is the way. Hondashi and wakame are great. Green onions are super cheap, just get them fresh and if any go bad it's not that big a deal. Should be able to use most of them if you have soup regularly, but you can even just top rice or meats with it too.
>>
>>20907328
500ml of water, a heaping teaspoon of light miso, and a satchel of dashi (I think it's 5g). Easy, quick and so fucking satisfying.
>>
>>20907882
How the hell is it going bad? You can eat it indefinitely
>>
>>20907614
sounds mad niggerish
are the japs really that mad niggerish
if so thats mad niggerish
>>
>>20907328
I always have a box of miso paste in the fridge. If I want soup, it's just a matter of spooning the paste into boiling water and mixing. Easy easy.
I might add a bouillon cube for extra flavour, some soy sauce, and whatever veggies I feel like.
Basically how I make ramen at home too. Same thing with some extra spices, and then add the noodles.
>>
File: asAAZhwT.jpg (2.44 MB, 4096x4096)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
>>
File: bAAAQ4vP.jpg (502 KB, 1536x2048)
502 KB
502 KB JPG
>>
File: UAoAvyO.jpg (71 KB, 639x426)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
Tofu miso soup
>>
>>20908935
japs, like most humans on this shithole of an earth, aren't standardized, hence deviation in cooking techniques. however, common knowledge is to apply the miso near the end to maintain the supposed health benefits.
>>
>>20907328
I get a squeeze bottle of miso + dashi mix. I microwave a mug of water with some freeze dried tofu and seaweed and then squirt in the soup mix.
wa la, miso soup in 30 seconds
>>
>>20909498
>Japanese
>aren't standardized
Nigga what? Their entire culture is predicated on being standardized, isolated island people.
>>
File: aAAETB7G.jpg (259 KB, 1170x1561)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
>>
>dashi powder
I make my own dashi, it's really not that hard and probably worth it if you're going to make a habit out of having miso soup regularly.
>>
File: MAAlDrz.jpg (617 KB, 1536x2048)
617 KB
617 KB JPG
>>
>>20909498
well if its good for me then i'll fucking do it
>>
>>20908933
Same with the konjacu potato. It just sits forever. Fucking useless jap wife doesn't cook.
>>
>>20907328
>>20907411
>Pre packaged miso
Stop sucking at life. It's easy as fuck to make.
>>20907439
This anon gets it.
>>
File: AAA2Arh.png (677 KB, 640x563)
677 KB
677 KB PNG
>>
>>20907614
>It has its own crazy word for a temperature that isn’t quit boiling
The crazy word you're looking for is: simmer or simmering.
>>
>>20909503
pretty much this
unless you're some spurgin weeb
easiest, fastest thing in the world to make
who would buy 'instant' miso soup?!
>>
>>20907328
These are generally overpriced, a 1lb pack of miso costs $5 bucks, a box of silken tofu is like $1.90, and seaweed is a few bucks for several sheets. Honestly, the dashi is the most expensive part, but a 1lb bag lasts a while depending on how much Japanese food you're making.
>>
>>20909947
Anon real jap housewives use instant miso
>>
>>20909498
>Japanese People
>Not standardized
You clearly know nothing about Japan, desu.
>>
>>20914647
>You clearly know nothing about Japan, desu.
right back at you, explain regional variations and personal tastes, hell even generational cooking techniques influenced by available technologies. there's a standard template for making miso soup, but everyone will make it based on the materials and tools available, you stupid fucking retard. every household makes miso soup differently. you rode short bus when you were in elementary, didn't you?
>>
>>20914754
Japs use instant miso, you mong.
>>
do you think dashi is really necessary or do you use other kind of broth
imo the tuna smell is nasty

I got white and red miso paste. red tastes better I guess but surprised how small the difference is desu
>>
>>20914976
You can use whatever just something savory and meaty
>>
>>20914966
do all japs use instant miso you turbo-nigger?
>>
>>20915852
yes. you will never be japanese btw
>>
I tried miso the other day. Might be way off but:
>soak kombu in cold water overnight, then heat for a bit until up to temp and remove
>add hondashi
>add dried shittake, remove after steeping for a bit
>add miso paste, bring up to just under boiling
>add whatever contents in order of length of time to reach tenderness, serve with scallion garnish
Eh?
>>
>>20907742
Is that safe? I know miso paste is basically salt but I've never been clear on the expiration. A year?
>>
>>20916249
>add hondashi
Why use that instead of bonito flakes. You already went through the trouble of using the right ingredients. It seems weird to use an instant product.
>>
>>20915937
my mom is a jap and she doesn't use instant miso, neither does my auntie. hell all the tojos I know don't use instant miso you stupid sub-human sack of shit
>>20916249
>uses hondashi
you're being redundant or your taste buds are so fucked that you need msg in everything you make...
>>
>>20916818
Slow down Akira, Japanese food is msg. Miso soup is an umami bomb
>miso paste
>kombu (where msg comes from)
>katsuobushi
All three are incredibly umami rich
>>
>>20916898
Gonna try and make some tomorrow, this thread has good pointers. Do y'all throw any other things in it like a regular soup like veggies? I was thinking spinach and Japanese sweet tater
>>
>>20917992
daikon, shimeji, clams, whatever the fuck you want throw in. hell throw in some pork for tonjiru
>>
>>20916512
You're right, I think I started learning to make miso using only hondashi and miso paste as the core umami components and hondashi is a vestige of that era.
>>20916818
>>20916898
The kombu and shiitake came later when I was trying to get it legit but I kept all three sources because I'm kinda take a maximalist approach to cooking for better or worse and like coming at a certain flavor from different angles. Makes it seem more...whole? To me, at least.

>>20917992
It sort of boils down to: root vegetables, leafy things, and mushrooms for other additions. Justonecookbook and woksoflife are my go-tos for asian cooking. The former is Japanese specific and has some in depth guides on miso itself and seasonal miso recipes, many of which are very adaptable.
https://www.justonecookbook.com/just-one-cookbook-miso-soup-recipes/
>>
>>20919480
>The kombu and shiitake came later
...what kinda heresy do you speak? that should be first to create the broth...I can't professionally associate with you
>>
>>20920123
I was referring to it coming later in my overall journey beyond simply utilizing instant hondashi and miso paste + silken tofu, wakame etc..ya know?
>The kombu and shiitake came later
>when I was trying to get it legit
>>
>>20907328
>>
File: supremegentleman.jpg (281 KB, 634x565)
281 KB
281 KB JPG
>>20916818
>my mom is a jap
my condolences.
>>
>>20920896
you can't dodge the rodge
>>
Miso Miso Nurse!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.