[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: s-l1600.jpg (300 KB, 1066x1600)
300 KB
300 KB JPG
Unironically what the FUCK went wrong here? Literally every scrapped concept was great and they STILL managed to fuck it up. Did nobody in the writers room put up their hand and observe they were making the story worse and worse with every deleted scene?

Was it the strike? AI involvement? Genuinely are there any anons here with insider info about what went down, the behind the scenes must have been a clusterfuck.
>>
>>143350587
Magnifico’s villain song sounded like it was written by AI, it was so weird
>>
>>143350587
It was ass
>>
>>143350663
Like it genuinely felt like someone went “let’s put in some of that Lin Manuel Miranda shit in here” and clicked Generate
>>
>>143350587
Not ID'ing myself but basically it was death by a thousand cuts. Movie looked really interesting in the early stages but then character arcs kept getting chopped up, scenes rearranged, songs repurposed (king's song refers to his original origins, At All Costs was written as a love song) so now they make no sense in context. IMO the death blow was the removal of the queen as the villain, changed the course of the entire project because suddenly Magnifico had to carry the entire antagonist role AND be sympathetic, which he was never deep enough to pull off.

The film was already ruined, then all the strikes hit and at that point we were just trying to salvage what we could. What you see in the final product is the result of a hodgepodge attempt to force pieces of different drafts to be a coherent whole.

Also as far as I know AI was never used for the songs, the tech wasn't widespread when Michaels was penning the lyrics. She's just a shitty pop writer who wasn't cut out for the gig, frequent conversations with colleagues about why they didn't just get Alan Menken (who was available and actually registered interest in doing the music).

TL;DR too many conflicting visions and poor creative decisions. Also the director of this, Fawn was her name, will be lucky to direct another picture with Disney, Chris Buck was assigned to co direct just to rein her in because she was an absolute nightmare. Egotistical, wouldn't be told her ideas were poor. The financial failure has mostly been blamed on her.
>>
>>143350742
Also the final months of production in the run up to release were staffed almost entirely by scabs. Many weren't aware they were turning in final shots and are embarrassed at the obviously unfinished animation in places. (Pay attention to character mouths, often no texturing, and background townsfolk cycle through stock animations). It was a mess.
>>
>>143350673
Well duh, I'm interested in the why.
>>
>>143350960
design by committee.
>>
>>143350742
Probably bullshit but sounds really plausible. Any other anecdotes to share?
>>
>>143350742
Was there any reason for rearranging so much? Axing characters and making songs irrelevant (yet keeping them in) sounds like some idiot making changes for the sake of making changes. Was the movie getting too long? Did test audiences balk ar the idea of an evil woman?
>>
>>143350960
Blame Jennifer Lee. For some reason, she really hates female villains and romance. No Twink starboy romance, no evil couple as the villains.

They hired song writers with zero theatrical musical experience so you ended up with songs written as pop songs with the lyrics lyrics being an afterthought (hence them feeling crammed in).

They continued the trend of having 2 directors, 1 experienced the other a directional debut from someone picked for diversity. You get the experienced director doing grunt work, the inexperienced is the "ideas person". It results in something formulaic as the actual skilled director is just connecting the dots.

The story stinking is entirely on Jennifer Lee though. She saw this scene and thought "who would want to see this?". It looks so much more fun than the end product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO8jr7m3ONA
>>
>>143351117
Sure, a couple. The imagery and cadence of Knowing What We Know Now was a direct reaction to We Don't Talk About Bruno, an attempt to reverse engineer that phenomenon.

Chris Pine was an absolute class act, lots of the team would go down to the booth to watch him perform.

Not-Happy (the black chick) was designed and conceived as non binary but this was shot down by committee in an attempt to dodge Lightyear/Strange World backlash. The character is 'unofficially' non binary.

Ariana DeBose would dance all the time while recording. A lot of Asha's dancing is rotoscoped from her.

There's like 2 hours of unused adlibbing from Alan Tudyk as the goat, some of which made it into the merch. Quite a bit of it is rather funny but only the shittiest jokes made it in.

Olaf was meant to cameo for a split second and Josh Gad was booked to record, but it was axed when Star was no longer a shape shifter.

All the gears were in motion behind the scenes to launch this as the next Frozen. There will be mountains of unsold crap in clearance bins and a planned park experience has been scrapped beyond the existing Asha meet and greet.
>>
>>143351180
Fawn and Jennifer would pick the shit out of the film during rough cut screenings. There was immense pressure for this film to hit, and thus they intensely scrutinized every scene for anything that ventured too far beyond the Disney boilerplate.

If you've ever seen The Sweatbox about the Emperor's New Groove, picture that but somehow even more corporate and soulless.

A really cool sequence of Magnifico lassoing the stars and then subsequently eating them was boarded and basically completed, but then it was axed. Magnifico also slapped Amaya in one iteration but Lee audibly gasped during the preview and shut it right down. Such cuts were typical.

Directorial focus was entirely on maximising broad appeal which resulted in the excision of anything innovative.

And yes, there was concern about the ramifications of a female villain in the current era.
>>
>>143350587
I was like "Yeah those incels overreact again" but a review alone left me baffled. This is soulless, has no direction and I can't believe this wasn't made by some unknown studio.
The story and especially dialogue and even song lyrics are utter AI-nonsense, people weren't kidding.
>>
>>143351475
OR it's like Youtube content these days, which has to look like third world country fake ads or otherwise you don't get attention.
>>
>>143350587
Laziness but honestly I feel like it's something deeper/petty. They had all the key ingredients for success but fucked up everything.
>>
>>143351558
Laziness & incompetence should never be underestimated.
>>
>>143350587
They spent so much time trying to wove references and "the history" of Disney tropes that the story had to bend over for it. Like Magnifico MUST be the Magic Mirror at the end, so he can't be redeemed even though he's totally a villain you can save.
>>
>>143351275
>Quite a bit of it is rather funny but only the shittiest jokes made it in
Kek
>>
>>143350587
>Disney proudly saying they are going back to form and having an actual evil villain like the old days
>proceeds to make one of the most sympathetic and perfectly understandable “villains” they’ve done
I don’t get how they could have possibly fucked it up so hard, Magnifico did literally nothing wrong.
>>
>>143351375
>Directorial focus was entirely on maximising broad appeal which resulted in the excision of anything innovative.
Going off topic, but i was going to joke about how sticking to the template to achieve broad appeal will result in something boring that appeals to no one. But then I thought about where that boilerplate came from? Has innovation paid off for Disney in the past?
Look at the renaissance? It got kicked off with Little Mermaid, which was as bog-standard as a Disney princess movie could be. I dare say even Wish broke free of that mold by making the princess have more motivation than “I want to get laid.” But that was negated by her lack of appeal and stupidity.
I guess Aladdin got a little more daring. The Genie broke new ground with all them pop culture references(which I’m sure made someone nervous about dating the material). How have other Disney movies pushed the boundaries of a Disney movie? And were those successful? Atlantis sure did something different (pulp adventure) and failed miserably.
>>
>>143350587
>Movie made to celebrate 100 years of Disney
>Its a giant middle finger to Walt
>>
>>143350742
>Egotistical, wouldn't be told her ideas were poor
First I'm hearing of this
>>
>>143352901
> the disney renaissance got kicked off with Little Mermaid, which was as bog-standard as a Disney princess movie could be
By today’s standards, sure. But back then the only princess movies they had were Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty. Little Mermaid was very innovative for its time compared to those three movies, in matters such as tone, in having a more dynamic female protagonist, and in experimenting with the broadway musical formula.
>>
>>143351183
I can kind of get not having romance but I don’t get disliking female villains. Villainesses are often beloved characters.

Otherwise interesting notes anon, thanks.
>>
>>143353034
Good points. Okay, so even Little Mermaid broke new ground and established the paradigm going forward. So yeah, maybe fucking up a movie to stick to the template isn’t a good idea?
>>
>>143350742
>>143351183
>>143351275
>>143351375
LARPer

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.